Saints vs. Newcastle Thread

Dark Munster

Amazed by how disorganised Saints are defensively against such a mediocre team. I fear the score line when we come up against the likes of Man City.

Positives we got 2 goals and a point, coming twice from behind. Gabbi took his first goal very well, long got us the second by some smart play drawing the foul and it was the best penalty finish i've seen from a saint in some time.

Romeu was poor today. Lemina still looking good. Tadic very good in first half, quieter in the 2nd. Boufal has to be given a chance to start ahead of redmond.

After forster had a string of games where he looked reasonably solid comes a terrible game. Miskick, getting caught out by crosses and that awful 2nd goal(a bad parry and then not covering the near post)

I really would like Austin gone. He's just so slow and immobile. Maybe suits a team with byline wingers and andy carroll upfront but certainly not saints. I'd much prefer gallagher coming off our bench than warming the birmingham one.

Redmond made the first goal and worked hard defensively. Offered a lit more than Tadic. Honestly, play one of Boufal or Tadic, not both.

he hardy made the first goal, he punted it forward and gabby had to make it himself. hardly a good cross or a killer pass

Peter Schmeichel destroying FF in the post-game for their second goal and deservedly so. Should have caught it and at a minimum pushed it behind for a corner and was then slow to get up for the follow up.

Getting beaten near post is a bit of a no-no for keepers, I believe. We could really use an upgrade in that position.

Peter Schmeichel destroying FF in the post-game for their second goal and deservedly so. Should have caught it and at a minimum pushed it behind for a corner and was then slow to get up for the follow up.
I have banged on about the goalkeeping coach for over a year, as he has not improved one of our keepers, in fact they seem to have got worse

Pleased with a point in the end and even more pleased with the fact we actually scored and went for it a bit in the 2nd half. Boufal deserves a lot of credit today, he's slightly built and things aren't quite clicking for him but he really battled out there and look like he cared. Nathan Redmond however...........................................

Rightly so, and he's well qualified to comment. Lazy from Fraser, should be a corner at the worst. McCarthy can't be any worse

Another genius decision from Reed - poor season and cost us the cup, yet gets a new 5 year deal with money we badly needed in the window. Drop Fraser and sack Reed.

I have banged on about the goalkeeping coach for over a year, as he has not improved one of our keepers, in fact they seem to have got worse

Another one I'd clear out - Pellegrino, Reed, Wilson, Black and Watson. Let's bring in some people who give a toss and are willing to have their ideas challenged.

That was f-ing clueless. Hanging on at home for a lucky draw against Newcastle, for goodness sake.

At no point did we play like a side chasing the game. It was the same turgid pace throughout, only the structure fell apart with all the substitutions.

Sorry, but this manager inspires no confidence at all. There's just nothing there to take comfort in. If we were playing well but not getting the results you could at least see light at the end of the tunnel, but we're appalling all over the park.

If there we signs of a new system or style "bedding in", maybe you could cling to the hope that it'll click in time. But there aren't. Whatever the Pellegrino stamp supposedly is isn't evident thus far, having had several months and a raft of very winnable fixtures to show what he's about.

We're in trouble, chaps. These are the easy games we're struggling horribly in. If we can't change course, with the ugly run of fixtures coming in November and December, we could be sitting on about 15 points at Christmas.

Van Dijk, playing half-assed, can fudge right off to wherever too. We're no more secure at the back with him doing the bare minimum than we were with Stephens playing.

Davis and Boufal have made a difference, more of an attacking mindset

Both made a difference - prior we had no midfield connection with our strikers and too many floated crosses. Boufal in particular able to make three incisive passes inside the box - one resulting in a penalty and the other bringing a great cross from Bertrand. Gabbiadini is such a class act and surely has cemented his place. I thought Long was limited with his poor touch and control - we need better than him. No doubt there will be plenty who will defend Forster but he is as close to a Footballing liability as you'll see; a very mediocre goalkeeper. How did Yedlin not get a second yellow? In the end it was a relief to get a point but the lack of attacking/creative talent in this side outside of Gabbiadini and Boufal/Tadic is very worrying.

Both made a difference - prior we had no midfield connection with our strikers and too many floated crosses. Boufal in particular able to make three incisive passes inside the box - one resulting in a penalty and the other bringing a great cross from Bertrand. Gabbiadini is such a class act and surely has cemented his place. I thought Long was limited with his poor touch and control - we need better than him. No doubt there will be plenty who will defend Forster but he is as close to a Footballing liability as you'll see; a very mediocre goalkeeper. How did Yedlin not get a second yellow? In the end it was a relief to get a point but the lack of attacking/creative talent in this side outside of Gabbiadini and Boufal/Tadic is very worrying.

Good post

Must be the hair, he was better bald.

Does seem that way! Although it might have helped him avoid a booking today.

Friend should be refereeing in the Conference for a while after that hideous error in not booking Yedlin twice. Must have caught the incompetent bug from Les.

First half was bad, too slow, too many touches, not crossing the ball. Tadic finally beat his man for once, but once again our two best chances in the first half fall to him and he wastes them.

Redmond must have something on the manager or in his contract. Boufal instantly made a difference, sure he loses the ball at times but he's willing to take people on, try first time passes and his tracking back was excellent, he won us the ball high up the pitch several times through sheer determination. He needs to start.

Good to see Gabbi get his goals, should give him confidence.

Romeu is not at his best, not sure why against a team like that at home we need two sitting midfielders really, against City, Utd yeh, but not Newcastle. Either free up Lemina to get further forward (he is clearly good enough) or give Romeu a rest and get Davis/JWP as a more forward thinking option in there.

Forsters confidence is shot, needs time away I think. Still think he's a quality keeper but he is not on form at all and looks shaky.

Tempo in the second half was better but we just humped it at times, there is a balance between lumping it and passing sideways, we need to find it.

Yedlin should have been sent off, Ref bottled it.

Not sure why the manager is getting so much cop, not sure what more he can do, he looked just as frustrated as the fans at times today, they are clearly not doing what he is telling them, he looked very annoyed at all the aimless long balls we decided to play. Gonna say it as well, VVD looks lazy, the lazy stab for the first goal when he could have passed it to Cedric which gave them the ball back and allowed them to cross, and he was completely out of position for the second and made little effort to get back in.

Based on today there are 4 players in that team that are playing well, and that is if Gabbi kicks on from here. Lemina, Cedric, Bertrand and Gabbi. Everyone else is below standard, certainly the starters.

Painfully slow rubbish once again from Saints.

I'm sorry, but our under 11's move the ball quicker than us.

Forster, Tadic, Romeo all very poor.

VVD could have done better for the first goal.

Strange how Yoshida is now our leader.....................

Yoshida, Gabbi & Lemina all our MOM's for today.

One thing that stood out for me was that when Yedlin fouled Redmond and should have got a second yellow, literally none of our players (even the captain) were in the ear of the ref. I don't think any of our players even mentioned it.

Too nice/naive at times in many aspects of the game.

One thing that stood out for me was that when Yedlin fouled Redmond and should have got a second yellow, literally none of our players (even the captain) were in the ear of the ref. I don't think any of our players even mentioned it.

Yes, but to be fair, it looked as obvious a second yellow as you'll see - sliding in with studs up.

My God that was poor. By the end I was willing Friend to blow the whistle because the only team that were going to score again was Newcastle.

VVD is as rusty as hell, quality he may be, but get Hoedt in please. Leave VVD to subs appearances and get rid on Jan.

Bertrand needs to give a toss and the manager needs to sort this out.

Slow slow slow no passing, no movement, and no shooting.

Davis and Boufel did try to inject some urgency but how many chances is Tadic going to get.

Also well the hell do the crowd shout for Austin. He really is out of sorts. Wrong player wrong league.

Hurrumph

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Can't really take any positives out of that. First 30 minutes we we're dreadful, no pace, cutting edge what ever message MP gave before kick the off seemed lost on the players. Even at 2-2 we were hanging on and that's the most worrying aspect of it. MP looked like a dead man walking in that interview and I don't think he's got much of idea how to change things going forward unless les reed does what he should have done over the summer and get in a decent striker and playmaker. Absolutely no positivity around the stadium before or after.

I think you are over egging Boufal there. The lad certainly had a go and put some effort in so fair play but nothing he did really changed the game even for the Pen the combo of a poor pass and Longs awful first touch meant Long was going no where useful so we were lucky the toon defender decided to put in a challenge had he just stood Long up we'd if got nothing.

My God that was poor. By the end I was willing Friend to blow the whistle because the only team that were going to score again was Newcastle.

VVD is as rusty as hell, quality he may be, but get Hoedt in please. Leave VVD to subs appearances and get rid on Jan.

Bertrand needs to give a toss and the manager needs to sort this out.

Slow slow slow no passing, no movement, and no shooting.

Davis and Boufel did try to inject some urgency but how many chances is Tadic going to get.

Also well the hell do the crowd shout for Austin. He really is out of sorts. Wrong player wrong league.

Hurrumph

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

No passing? All we do is pass.

THIS

Yes this came across loud and clear with the piece on BBC last week. There is not enough bite and winning mentality about the club ... Too nice definitely as you say...

First game I've been to this season (I've been working abroad). I'd been warned not to expect much and my low expectations were duly met.

Why are we so slow to bring the ball out of defence? It was Yoshida to VVD to Cedric to Forster again and again. Every now and then we'd get over the halfway line and then pass it back into our own half again. There were times in the game when we showed we could be so much better than that but clearly the players have been told to retain possession at all costs. It makes for a very frustrating afternoon and risks a misplaced pass or Forster fumble gifting the opposition a goal.

Some of our players looked very average today but I know they can be better. VVD gave the ball away leading to the first goal, although Forster taking a lie down didn't help. I remember when Bertrand and Redmond used to have good understanding bombing up the left wing but today I rarely saw Bertrand cross the halfway line. And Redmond just seemed to stop when he got the ball in an attacking position before passing it back. Our players haven't just become rubbish. They are clearly playing to instructions but those instructions need revising.

On the plus side, Gabbiadini took his goals well, Long was his usual probing, committed self and Boufal looked good when he came on. He tracked back and won the ball back several times. Lemina was our best player.

I thought Newcastle looked good. They attacked swiftly and with purpose as exemplified by their second goal.

We need to change something. While there will be calls to spend on a striker in January I'm not sure that the problem is the personnel but more the system giving them no service. Much though I hate to say it, I'm not convinced that Pellegrino is an improvement on Purl.

First game I've been to this season (I've been working abroad). I'd been warned not to expect much and my low expectations were duly met.

Why are we so slow to bring the ball out of defence? It was Yoshida to VVD to Cedric to Forster again and again. Every now and then we'd get over the halfway line and then pass it back into our own half again. There were times in the game when we showed we could be so much better than that but clearly the players have been told to retain possession at all costs. It makes for a very frustrating afternoon and risks a misplaced pass or Forster fumble gifting the opposition a goal.

Some of our players looked very average today but I know they can be better. VVD gave the ball away leading to the first goal, although Forster taking a lie down didn't help. I remember when Bertrand and Redmond used to have good understanding bombing up the left wing but today I rarely saw Bertrand cross the halfway line. And Redmond just seemed to stop when he got the ball in an attacking position before passing it back. Our players haven't just become rubbish. They are clearly playing to instructions but those instructions need revising.

On the plus side, Gabbiadini took his goals well, Long was his usual probing, committed self and Boufal looked good when he came on. He tracked back and won the ball back several times. Lemina was our best player.

I thought Newcastle looked good. They attacked swiftly and with purpose as exemplified by their second goal.

We need to change something. While there will be calls to spend on a striker in January I'm not sure that the problem is the personnel but more the system giving them no service. Much though I hate to say it, I'm not convinced that Pellegrino is an improvement on Purl.

You know the scary thing this was one of the best home games we've had all season.....

An Attacking Midfielder

We need and Attacking Midfielder!

We don't need Redmond, now that Ward-Prowse has been sacked Redmond has become chief passer back and play-stopper! Not surprised Bertie is ****ed off with that berk in front of him.

Big Shout-out for Boufal and Gabbi - play them every week for goodness sake Pellegrini, we've been telling you long enough.

Austin - Not a Clue!

van Dyke - Is he sulking or useless, can't make up my mind. Anyway get Hoedt in and chuck him out for good,

People saying VVD being lazy for their first goal, but he was worse for their second. Ambles back & then leaves a massive gap for their forward to exploit! Hoedlt offers more!

Can't understand why Hoedt wasn't selected. VDD's contributions here and at Stoke were awful, rust taken into account, and his pathetic public utterances in between. Hoedt, Yoshi with Stephens as back up. VVD can stink out the U21s. Fraction of Morgan's fibre as a player and human being.

How sh*t that was, injury time and we were basically parking the bus at home in those final 5 minutes to a team that had just got promoted.

2 goals yes, but just 1 from open play.

Newcastle should have been down to 10, but even then with out experience of the Prem and money spent we should have won this comfortably on paper.

Ah Pellegrino need to sort out this crock of sh*te

MP reaction

was dramatic, lots of chaos

was difficult after we first equalized

our mentality was right, we were on top

we just cant concede as soon as we score

our reaction was positive in the last 20 mins

was just too chaotic

we were never in control of the game

other games, we have been in control but not score

it was my responsibility as to why we were not more direct in the 1st half

we showed good character when we were 2-1 down

you have to probe the game, always

it was positive that we scored 2 goals

but we need to improve the defence and we will work on that

it was important for monolo to score, he helps the club when he plays and scores

Long was good, always fighting and running

at times, playing 2 strikers looked good