Saints vs. Newcastle Thread

Dark Munster

The last time we played straight after an international break was the Watford horror show, let's hope that the extra 24 hours mean that MP prepares the team more professionally this time. On the great Boufal debate, I agree with those saying give him a run of four or five games on the spin. Given our excellent defenders and holding midfielders I don't see us shipping many goals and therefore with the scoring drought we need to rebalance the side. I am a big Davis fan, but right now I would rest him. My team: 4-2-3-1 would be FF, Cedric, VVD, Maya, Bertie, OR, Lamina, Boufal, Long, Tadic and Gabbi. I think that, when is possession, that lineup would feel more like a 4-2-4 but when out of possession we would still expect ten to be back working

Agree with all of this. Perhaps hoedt for maya

The "give Boufal a run" mantra is just a variation on the "give Ramirez a run" garbage.

It didnt work then, it wont work now. He doesnt have the physical presence required for the English game, and doesnt have the vision / maturity to match his skills. Running 30 yards with the ball then losing it brings nothing to the team.

Time to accept we've had another horror transfer and move on.

Jesus christ.

The "give Boufal a run" mantra is just a variation on the "give Ramirez a run" garbage.

It didnt work then, it wont work now. He doesnt have the physical presence required for the English game, and doesnt have the vision / maturity to match his skills. Running 30 yards with the ball then losing it brings nothing to the team.

giphy.gif

We've had some great home performances against Newcastle in recent years and usuallly beat them by at least 2 clear goals. Newcastle do not and never have travelled well.

Our last 4 meetings at St Mary's:

Saints 3 Newcastle 1

Saints 4 Newcasle 0

Saints 4 Newcastle 0

Saints 2 Newcastle 0

Bunkum. Blind Freddy can see the lad's a good player. He may not make the grade as a regular Prem player but Boufal has much more attacking nous and creative skills than most of our incumbents.....Redmond, Long, Ward-Prowse, Austin.

When I've seen Newcastle they've looked well organised and disciplined but quite toothless up front.

In other words, well coached but lacking quality in forward positions.

So, basically, like us.

0-0.

Is the problem the profligacy of your forwards? Or have you just not been making goal scoring opportunities? Lot of chatter about xG, and we’re ok on that front (7th), but Joselu isn’t exactly a marksman. See his goal against Liverpool? Clean through, yet got caught by Matip who cleared the ball off Joselu’s shin and watched with utter disbelief as it trickled into the bottom corner. Quite nice to have a bit of luck go our way for a change.

You only need a couple of good shots on target to stand a chance to be honest.

As someone else said, we've simply not replaced the right players with the quality needed. I also believe a new GK was required. Forster is one of yours initially, fancy taking him back ?

Yes, but whether our new owners are able to release the purse strings is an unknown. Most of us on here doubt it.

But you could try to take Forster - Hexham lad - back home, how does £20m sound ?

Forster was highly rated a season or so ago, what’s gone wrong for the big man? I have to admit that I wasn’t too bothered when we sold him, but that’s because I thought Krul was going to go on to big things. Krul looked so confident, so assured, such a good shot stopper. But as time went by his frailties were laid bare; poor communication, dodgy at crosses, terrible distribution and sometimes his concentration was questionable. For what it’s worth Darlow and Elliott are decent, and we’ve an excellent young ‘keeper in Woodman coming through, but Benitez has been chasing another keeper since last year. Sels was terrible, Reina was sounded out and we’re still looking. I like Forster, but to be fair the only time I see him is when he’s had a good performance highlighted on Match of the Day or Sky.

What’s stopping the new owner from throwing some cash around? Lack of funds, lack of interest or fears about breaking FFP rules?

Sounds about right.

We'll go for two upfront in the 87th minute to pull one back, probably scored by VD or Yoshida.

Scoring first will be telling. If we get an early goal I think the way we’re set up is grand for frustrating home teams, silencing their fans and hitting them on the break. Any gaps can and will be found by Shelvey, Merino has a decent range of passing on him. Yedlin is frighteningly fast and Atsu has a decent amount of pace too.

Unfortunately if we go behind we haven’t the players to really trouble a well drilled defence. We’re seriously lacking a good #10. Perez works hard and will press Lamina and Romeu and/or your back four, but he isn’t much of a goal threat and often makes the wrong decision with the final ball.

We've had some great home performances against Newcastle in recent years and usuallly beat them by at least 2 clear goals. Newcastle do not and never have travelled well.

Our last 4 meetings at St Mary's:

Saints 3 Newcastle 1

Saints 4 Newcasle 0

Saints 4 Newcastle 0

Saints 2 Newcastle 0

Different manager, different players, different system. Benitez is a top manager and he’s set up Newcastle United that is counter to the clichéd idea of us as a cavalier gung-ho side. These days there aren’t marquee mercenaries like Michael Owen. We graft, we’re compact and pragmatic.

For what it’s worth, we travelled well last year getting 46 points on the road, we only lost 5 times away from St James’ and one of those was the Nottingham forest game with the refereeing debacle. Also, this season we’ve not conceded more than one goal with 11 men on the pitch, so whatever the result, we won’t be a push over.

Apologies for the long post, but I think I’m restricted to 3 posts in a 24hr period?

We will have 65%-75% possession, loads of off target shots and no goals. Newcastle will score with their one attempt on target ( probably a header from a set piece) we will throw everything and the kitchen sink at them in the last 10 minutes final register a shot on target that the Newct

astle keeper will save with a worldie. After people will say we were the better team and should have won.

Yup that's about right . We will definitely leave it to the last ten minutes to try and equalise . Then they can troop off shaking their heads in disappointment

Remind me how long Gastons run in the side was again ?

You have to convince a manager you deserve a run in the side Gaston couldn't and despite 27 appearances in just over a season neither can Boufal.

Then why are we paying record breaking transfer fees for these players if the manager just doesn't fancy playing them , Plus I'm not fussed what players do in training because none of them transfer it into matches !

Don't see the harm in giving Boufal a chance. The problem is nine of the attacking players are justifying their spots right now. If we keep doing the same thing we will end up with the same results. As others have pointed out at the end of this month our fixtures get very hard. We need points on the board before we get to them or we will be in the ****.

27 appearances is a good stat to support narrative but I would wager about 20 of them has been as a sub.

Boufal offers in my opinion more direct goal threat than redmond and tracks back more than him, my opinion of course but if we pick Redmond, long and tadic up front again then to quote the great philosopher Kenny powers I'm ****ing out !!

Said it before but not sure he can be any worse than what has been playing recently. Tadic and Redmond have not done anything in about 9 months now.

I mean if Boufal just runs 30 yards into someone, not sure how that is worse than Redmond cutting inside and then passing it sideways, or Tadic being very slow at everything he does and missing our best chances.

I do wonder if we had a young Matt Le Tiss now, would he be written off after a few games?

Probably the same boring line up from our in-adaptable new manager

I would drop Redmond and have Long/gabbi combo with one coming from a wide area.....

but no, it will be the usual 3 behind the striker

Edited by Batman

Journal tracks back for all of ten minutes before he can't be arsed anymore. Yes he has skill, but he needs to have it drilled into his thick skull that he needs to deliver a dangerous shot or cross after he's beaten two or three players or the same player three times, at present he's all huff & no puff which brings nothing more to the team than what we already have out there. He's also as bad a bottler in the challenge if not worse than Tadic. I'm all for giving him a go but he has to make more of an impact than he has in any of his previous performances. Shelvey will eat him for breakfast if he plays tomorrow. We will also need good communication between the team & faster movement of the ball to hurt Newcastle, oh & playing Lemina & dropping Redmond for Long who can play more closely to Gabbi would be good too!

Said it before but not sure he can be any worse than what has been playing recently. Tadic and Redmond have not done anything in about 9 months now.

I mean if Boufal just runs 30 yards into someone, not sure how that is worse than Redmond cutting inside and then passing it sideways, or Tadic being very slow at everything he does and missing our best chances.

This!

I'll be tearing my hair out if I see Redmond in the starting lineup again tomorrow, he is one of the most ineffective players I've ever seen in a Saints shirt. We have two options, either stick with the same tactics and personnel which has seen us fail to score in nine of our last ten home games, or try something different. Bomb Redmond out and get Boufal in Gabbi into the starting eleven and see what they can do, it literally can't get any worse!

This!

I'll be tearing my hair out if I see Redmond in the starting lineup again tomorrow, he is one of the most ineffective players I've ever seen in a Saints shirt. We have two options, either stick with the same tactics and personnel which has seen us fail to score in nine of our last ten home games, or try something different. Bomb Redmond out and get Boufal in Gabbi into the starting eleven and see what they can do, it literally can't get any worse!

I think it can get worse Boufal is even less effective than Redmond just check out his stats. If Redmond has to be dropped I rather see McQueen played out wide as a replacement.

Not while the most important stat is goals scored we won't...

Agreed. We've got good stats other than the one that matters. Everything that we've tried so far isn't working. We should try something different in attack. Maybe give Boufal a few games.

Good idea, doddisalegend. Good idea.

When I've seen Newcastle they've looked well organised and disciplined but quite toothless up front.

In other words, well coached but lacking quality in forward positions.

So, basically, like us.

0-0.

So basically, considering our home form

0-1

Massive game tomorrow. League table doesn't make for good reading given we had the kindest fixtures in the league to start with yet are level or behind some poor teams.

Given we have failed to score in 8 of the last 9 home games that HAS to cbange otherwise its relegation battle time.

Agreed. We've got good stats other than the one that matters. Everything that we've tried so far isn't working. We should try something different in attack. Maybe give Boufal a few games.

Good idea, doddisalegend. Good idea.

Lol 27 league games 27 shots and 1 goal Boufal is clearly the way to change our non-goal scoring problems...

If we are going to try something different it needs to be more than just shuffling the pack up front and try a new formation.

Massive game tomorrow. League table doesn't make for good reading given we had the kindest fixtures in the league to start with yet are level or behind some poor teams.

Given we have failed to score in 8 of the last 9 home games that HAS to cbange otherwise its relegation battle time.

You ae not allowed to mention the R word, surely?

Lol 27 league games 27 shots and 1 goal Boufal is clearly the way to change our non-goal scoring problems...

So given we can't sign anyone until January, is sticking with the proven failures Redmond/Tadic the answer to our non-goal scoring problems?

I couldn't give a damn about stats, Boufal has looked far more likely to make something happen in his cameos than Redmond has playing almost every minute of every game. Redmond is a complete waste of a shirt.

I do agree with you regarding McQueen though, I'm disappointed he hasn't had more game time this season and it's also a shame Sims hasn't been available.

So very, very unenthusiastic about the game tomorrow. I can't see us scoring more than 1, unless we get a load of referee decisions ala West Ham of course.

The latest video from the manager does little to alleviate the concerns that we're not looking like scoring. At some point he has to try something else because it's damn clear that the personnel we have are not able to step up and make the current approach work.. they've had enough chances.