Saints vs. Newcastle Thread

Dark Munster

couldnt give a monkeys about tomorrows game. Puel was treated terribly and we now have a totally clueless manager in charge who has made us much, much worse than last season. Last season we had Puel coaching the younger home grown players and seeing them improve was a high spot.

Pellegrino has done nothing to convince me he can coach these players to become better - he certainly is not giving them a chance. Yet that piece of s**t Redmond and Tadic are no doubt nailed on to start tomorrow.

Enjoy the crabfest tomorrow.

couldnt give a monkeys about tomorrows game. Puel was treated terribly and we now have a totally clueless manager in charge who has made us much, much worse than last season. Last season we had Puel coaching the younger home grown players and seeing them improve was a high spot.

That's a pretty rose tinted view on things. Puel wasn't treated terribly, he was sacked (with a meaty payoff no doubt) because the results and quality of football were generally poor. He took us from 3 points off 4th the previous year to 6 points above 17th. We went out of Europe and the FA Cup pathetically on top.

Sims and McQueen had some good moments last season but I don't think Puel should take any more credit than Redknapp deserves for Walcott.

It needed saying. One doubts that the club pay much heed to what fan forums say but when a national broadsheet takes a swipe somebody will take notice. In his interviews Pellegrino looked distinctly uncomfortable and hesitant, a sign perhaps that his recent meetings with the board have not been quite as friendly as they used to be a few weeks ago?

It needed saying. One doubts that the club pay much heed to what fan forums say but when a national broadsheet takes a swipe somebody will take notice. In his interviews Pellegrino looked distinctly uncomfortable and hesitant, a sign perhaps that his recent meetings with the board have not been quite as friendly as they used to be a few weeks ago?

Just read that.

Solid assessment. We are going backwards, yet there are some very poor teams this year.

We'll be alright. Not sure that's really The Southampton Way though.

Massive game. Today needs to be the day we start scoring again; if MP hasn't worked out Tadic and Redmond don't deserve to start then we have big problems. It's easy for is as fans to say he needs to change things up top as a solution but he really does.

Forster

Bertrand

VvD

Yoshi

Cedric

Rom

Lemina

Davis

Boufal

Austin

Gabbiadini

For me, that line up is our best chance for scoring/winning

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Hopefully the manager watched the Palace game against Chelsea, attacking football can win games!!.

If we have another display of tippy tappy keep ball without hardly crossing the halfway line I fekin give up, and Reed and co need to be shot at dawn for their recent manager appointments and general poor decision making.

For me today's game is pivotal.

Hopefully the manager watched the Palace game against Chelsea, attacking football can win games!!.

If we have another display of tippy tappy keep ball without hardly crossing the halfway line I fekin give up, and Reed and co need to be shot at dawn for their recent manager appointments and general poor decision making.

I can't remember a single game where we hardly crossed the half way line.

The problem is penetrating the opposition's box (ooh, er!) not a failure to attack in general.

Despite us being crap that's not actually true we've had the 6th most shots in the league this season (and last season was the same) yet we have the worse shot conversion rate in the league (and not surprisingly we did last season to) the issue last season and this season is the lack of clinical finishing rather than this myth that we don't create anything.

Despite us being crap that's not actually true we've had the 6th most shots in the league this season (and last season was the same) yet we have the worse shot conversion rate in the league (and not surprisingly we did last season to) the issue last season and this season is the lack of clinical finishing rather than this myth that we don't create anything.

Stats which are borne out in the match day experience. How many 'shots' do we witness being lashed at uncontrollably and head for the underside of the main stand roof?

Surely a slight reduction in power to allow accuracy and control would provide a higher conversion rate?

Stats which are borne out in the match day experience. How many 'shots' do we witness being lashed at uncontrollably and head for the underside of the main stand roof?

Surely a slight reduction in power to allow accuracy and control would provide a higher conversion rate?

Davis is the worst culprit I'm a fan of his but my god his shooting is terrible.

Davis is the worst culprit I'm a fan of his but my god his shooting is terrible.

Interestingly, in the recent 200th appearance tribute video showing all his goals for us, every single one was low into the goal, and placed instead of blasted. Hmm...

I'm the same with Hoj - a fan of his attacking play and imagination (when he plays), but his shooting is/has always been awful.

Interestingly, in the recent 200th appearance tribute video showing all his goals for us, every single one was low into the goal, and placed instead of blasted. Hmm...

I'm the same with Hoj - a fan of his attacking play and imagination (when he plays), but his shooting is/has always been awful.

I think he is in the same boat as Boufal, trying a bit too hard in an effort to book a run in the team.

I can't remember a single game where we hardly crossed the half way line.

The problem is penetrating the opposition's box (ooh, er!) not a failure to attack in general.

Point taken about half way line, but as far as attacking is concerned I am not convinced, it all seems a bit half hearted with no real cut and thrust.

Again, for me, team selection and formation is all at sea and as I have said before, it's not unexpected as this managers previous indicates this is how he sets his team up. Ironically Reed brings him in to replace Puels dull football :mcinnes:

Agreed but Tadic isn't far behind and neither is Redmond so far this season. 3 players demonstrably crap at shooting supporting Long who is, for a striker, demonstrably crap at scoring. If this is what we get today then it beggars belief.

Massive game. Today needs to be the day we start scoring again; if MP hasn't worked out Tadic and Redmond don't deserve to start then we have big problems. It's easy for is as fans to say he needs to change things up top as a solution but he really does.

Forster

Bertrand

VvD

Yoshi

Cedric

Rom

Lemina

Davis

Boufal

Austin

Gabbiadini

For me, that line up is our best chance for scoring/winning

Yep, same for me, with Hoj and Long on the bench. Would like to see McQueen back in the mix too

a

Might as well give the shirt to one of the trees in St Mary's churchyard, it would be more mobile than Austin! He's the human equivalent of a super tanker.

He's mobile enough to lead the team in scoring last season, and put in 18 a few years ago. Besides, where has all this great "pace" gotten us? We sure are flashy passing the ball quickly around midfield.

Edited by striker

I’m going to whinge if Long is CF and Redmond is playing. Can just about handle one or the other, especially if Long plays on the wing instead of Redmond, but putting out the same team will be a bit frustrating.

Waiting for the team in the car, then going to walk down. No matter what the team, come on Saints, we really need a result today.

Shall we just accept that Redmond is guaranteed to play no matter how he has played in previous games?

Bit of a strange one, putting a lot of faith in Romeu and Lemina to win the midfield battle.

As we should, the two of them are more than capable of keeping control of midfield.

If the official formation graphic is genuine, that's an absolutely bizarre lineup.

Well he did try something similar in preseason with Austin in the position that Gabbi is occupying in this graphic. Gabbi is obviously a more natural finisher than Long, so in principle, he’d play up top unless he’s pushed much closer to Long.