Saints vs. Newcastle Thread

Dark Munster

Seen the goals back. Forster is abysmal for that second goal but Romeu can take some of the blame as well. He was lazy as ****, he just lets the goalscorer run free.

Romeu has been off colour all season - looking more like he's reverted to Wanyama's cheap and cheerful back up from two years ago than the surprisingly decent, consistent performer of most of last term.

Maybe it's just that Lemina's dynamism and all round game is showing up how limited our other midfielders are in contrast.

Wow so looking forward to next Saturday :D

Pretty much 90 minutes of pushing water up hill, what is frustrating is at times it's like a game of "What's the time Mr Wolf" Yoshida has the ball no one is showing in space, Lemina blew his stack more than once today at the lack of pace, movement and positioning of team mates, certainly gave Billy big whatsits a piece of his mind more than once. If things stay as they are for the rest of the season, I will eat my hat if he is still with us when next season kicks off.

Talking of Tadic him and his mucker over the other side of the pitch are bloody passengers, him and Redmond must have a brown envelopes stashed away containing incriminating photos. Tadic is so bloomin casual, and like I have said before where Redmond has reaction 10 yards away from where he should be reacting, Tadic has reaction 5 yards away from where he should be reacting. If you haven't spotted I don't have much time for the pair of them. The amount of times Tadic moved to the player with the ball instead staying where he was offering an out ball option drove me and others around me up the chuffin wall: those still holding a candle for him, his carpness was shown in the first half when through on goal in the box all he had to do was spank it, what's he do off load it to a player in the box being well marked.

Redmonds reaction to being subbed was incredulous, you are being subbed because you are bloody pants mate. That free kick in the first half was absolutely unforgivable, but then with Dumb and Dumber standing over the ball discussing a clever delivery it was hardly a surprise. When Boufal took to the pitch he looked to go forward, Redmond in the same position "ooh you're nasty big defender" "I'll pass it back to Ryan".

On substitutions Boufal for Redmond spot on, Austin for Long was worth a spin, but Davis for Romeu, really?!! Should have been Davis in for Tadic slide him in alongside Romeu and let Lemina slide up field and apply all his slippery guile up field with Boufal.

For Newcastle love him or loathe him, Shelvey was very good. He, more often than not, had space all around him and 2 options for an out ball, either an easy lay off or a tougher pass, both of which he made successfully.

I guess I will see a few of you next Saturday evening

......... What's with the sudden change of not making the player depart the field of play after treatment from the medics coming onto the pitch. Unless I have been sleeping through games since the beginning of the season pretty sure it was happening before the international break.

Even more surprised after the 2 Newcastle players cracked heads at quite a pace and hit the deck instantly.

Oh! and why wait until Christmas to sack Pellegrino?

MOPUEL should never been employed to start with. Makes hard reading to think how close we were to signing Marco Silva. He's really done an amazing job at Watford and he would have done even better at St Mary's.

take MOPUEL hasn't à clue and today once again showed is is worse than employed at the clubhan PUEL and most bad managers thatve be employed the past 50 years.

Who is pressuring him to pick the likes of Forster and the abysmal Redman game after game when any other manager would have played others.

I have totally lost all confidence in decisions being made and sadly its going to get a whole lot worse before the likes of les Reed does anything to resolve the situation.

Gao certainly does not appear ready to take any action and comes across as a puppet to false feedback from the remainder of the board.

Forster - I'm sorry but he's just dreadful. Ever since we broke up the partnership of Morgan and Wanyama that was in front of him (and protecting him) and then with players like Toby and Lovren also leaving he's looked absolutely shocking.

VVD - Can't wait to see this ****er sold. Worst game I've ever seen from him. Quite clearly doesn't want to be here, his body language is terrible.

Romeu - wtf is going on with him lately? Looks really slow and lethargic.

Gabbiadini - Started to come alive when the ball was actually played up to him. Funny old thing. Good to see him back in the goals.

Lemina - Enjoy him while you can. He's absolute class every time I see him. Reckon we'll get one more season out of him and then he's moving upwards. Fantastic player.

Yoshida - Love the man. Not the best but i'd rather see him with Hoedt than that **** Van Dijk on the pitch.

The ref - Absolute bottle job. How the **** that wasn't a yellow for Yedlin is beyond me.

The rest - meh.

Wow so looking forward to next Saturday :D

Pretty much 90 minutes of pushing water up hill, what is frustrating is at times it's like a game of "What's the time Mr Wolf" Yoshida has the ball no one is showing in space, Lemina blew his stack more than once today at the lack of pace, movement and positioning of team mates, certainly gave Billy big whatsits a piece of his mind more than once. If things stay as they are for the rest of the season, I will eat my hat if he is still with us when next season kicks off.

Talking of Tadic him and his mucker over the other side of the pitch are bloody passengers, him and Redmond must have a brown envelopes stashed away containing incriminating photos. Tadic is so bloomin casual, and like I have said before where Redmond has reaction 10 yards away from where he should be reacting, Tadic has reaction 5 yards away from where he should be reacting. If you haven't spotted I don't have much time for the pair of them. The amount of times Tadic moved to the player with the ball instead staying where he was offering an out ball option drove me and others around me up the chuffin wall: those still holding a candle for him, his carpness was shown in the first half when through on goal in the box all he had to do was spank it, what's he do off load it to a player in the box being well marked.

Redmonds reaction to being subbed was incredulous, you are being subbed because you are bloody pants mate. That free kick in the first half was absolutely unforgivable, but then with Dumb and Dumber standing over the ball discussing a clever delivery it was hardly a surprise. When Boufal took to the pitch he looked to go forward, Redmond in the same position "ooh you're nasty big defender" "I'll pass it back to Ryan".

On substitutions Boufal for Redmond spot on, Austin for Long was worth a spin, but Davis for Romeu, really?!! Should have been Davis in for Tadic slide him in alongside Romeu and let Lemina slide up field and apply all his slippery guile up field with Boufal.

For Newcastle love him or loathe him, Shelvey was very good. He, more often than not, had space all around him and 2 options for an out ball, either an easy lay off or a tougher pass, both of which he made successfully.

I guess I will see a few of you next Saturday evening

I agree with much of this but the absolute nail is that the chuckle brothers Tadic and Redmond are a truely aweful.

I’d have them out of the squad and probably wouldn’t even let them go collect the cones after training. Hell, Redmond would turn back before he got to them. Redmond has had 10games on the spin and done **** all. I’d have boufal in at the number 10 role centrally with a licence to try things without fear of losing his place if he loses the ball. Give him 10games to gain confidence and find his feet.

Maybe we need to play 3 at the back to allow the full backs more of a licence and space to get forward without the chuckle brothers slowing down their attacking threat.

Another goal from outside the penalty area for the first and the second howler from FF for the second. McCarthy and Boufal must start for Redmond against WBA and VVD looked as though he was not interested or game rusty. Play Hoedt.

I agree with much of this but the absolute nail is that the chuckle brothers Tadic and Redmond are a truely aweful.

I’d have them out of the squad and probably wouldn’t even let them go collect the cones after training. Hell, Redmond would turn back before he got to them. Redmond has had 10games on the spin and done **** all. I’d have boufal in at the number 10 role centrally with a licence to try things without fear of losing his place if he loses the ball. Give him 10games to gain confidence and find his feet.

Maybe we need to play 3 at the back to allow the full backs more of a licence and space to get forward without the chuckle brothers slowing down their attacking threat.

Think that’s a fair comment - the fullbacks tend to be a lot more decisive. Having Tadic and Redmond in front of them, by contrast, just leads to procrastination and overelaboration. Also use a system that allows Lemina to drive forward as he tends to be direct and dynamic on the ball.

Think that’s a fair comment - the fullbacks tend to be a lot more decisive. Having Tadic and Redmond in front of them, by contrast, just leads to procrastination and overelaboration. Also use a system that allows Lemina to drive forward as he tends to be direct and dynamic on the ball.

Lemina is built to play at the top of a diamond, maybe play Romeu holding, Hojberg and JWP each side, then Gabiadini + one (perm from Long/Davies/Boufal depending on circumstance/oppo).

Lemina is built to play at the top of a diamond, maybe play Romeu holding, Hojberg and JWP each side, then Gabiadini + one (perm from Long/Davies/Boufal depending on circumstance/oppo).

Absolute rubbish. Jwp shouldn't be anywhere near the team.

And yet he was one of our better players second half of last season, though that's not saying much admittedly. Just think we need to change shape to get the best out of Lemina and he (JWP) can do a job in a diamond... not sure who else could play there, Davis to a point, (McQueen, perhaps?), but probably not any of Redmond/Tadic/Boufal.

Iam in the minority but I don't think Redmond was worse than Tadic. He put in the terrific cross that Tadic should have headed back for Long or Gabbi,and his long pass to Gabbi for the first goal.

Our problem is that we are so slow in our build up it gives teams time to regroup.

In the second half when we upped the pace we created so much more

Iam in the minority but I don't think Redmond was worse than Tadic. He put in the terrific cross that Tadic should have headed back for Long or Gabbi,and his long pass to Gabbi for the first goal.

Our problem is that we are so slow in our build up it gives teams time to regroup.

In the second half when we upped the pace we created so much more

Redmond is one of the reasons we are so slow in the build up.

Dreadful player who is going to be here for years.

Has anyone mentioned the moment in the first 10 mins when Tadic got to the byline with a chance to cross and within 5 seconds the ball was back with Yoshida 10 yards inside our own half? We are so poor in the final third it is pathetic. We need to play quicker football, trust each other, and most importantly these players need to realise they are a part of a team and start playing like it. Too many individuals out there thinking they know best. It's like watching strangers playing together and all are trying to do their own thing because they don't trust any other player.

Redmond is one of the reasons we are so slow in the build up.

Dreadful player who is going to be here for years.

Has anyone mentioned the moment in the first 10 mins when Tadic got to the byline with a chance to cross and within 5 seconds the ball was back with Yoshida 10 yards inside our own half? We are so poor in the final third it is pathetic. We need to play quicker football' date=' trust each other, and most importantly these players need to realise they are a part of a team and start playing like it. Too many individuals out there thinking they know best. It's like watching strangers playing together and all are trying to do their own thing because they don't trust any other player.[/quote']

The manager is the reason we are so slow in our build-up play; he admitted as much in his post-match interview. He said that we didn't control the match as much today because (when we were behind) he told the team to go more direct and worry so much about keeping possession, although did lead to us actually scoring the goals (or words to that effect).

By no means am I saying Redmond and Tadic should be starting every match, far from it! However, they will continue to start matches as they are following the manager's instructions. Safety - possession - control - create chances - no matter how fing futile and worthless they may turn out to be (last sentence my words, not what I think the manager is dictating).

MP needs to up his game/try something new very soon. I feel he is, currently, like a fish out of water......

FWIW, I would like us to continue with a Long-Gabbi partnership and with Boufal behind them in a free role. A midfield 3 of Lemina-Romeu-Davis should be able to hold their own against most teams.

I would also seriously consider dropping VvD and Bertrand!

I will have my say on MP on the separate thread, so will restrict my comments to the match. Forster had a poor game, there is no dressing that up. I do however think he has had a decent start to the season, having had a bad season last year with McCarthy injured for most of it and therefore no competition. I wouldn't drop him after one bad game this season (he was excellent at Stoke) however I think he is one bad game this side of Xmas from being dropped now. It's always a big decision I think to do this and if the replacement has a howler on his first game you are in a real mess.

VVD I thought looked very average, whereas I thought he was surprisingly good at Stoke after six months out. Again, wouldn't hit the panic button yet on him. Finally I though Redmond, apart from the good early ball to Gabby, again was poor and that is a tend so time to pull the trigger and give Boufal a sustained period in the team. It was his assist for the penalty.

Let's hope Gabby now goes on a scoring run. I thought that MP was right to try something different in resting Davis to play the extra forward but it weakens the midfield and made us less secure. So a good learning point for the team.

I am concerned though as we licked our lips at the fixture list in the summer and yet it hasn't happened. We are averaging one point per home game and have only played one team that finished above us, home or away. We can all do the maths. We are artificially high in the table given those fixtures. Have a look at this November and December games coming up......

For some perspective, Newcastle pretty much parked the bus and had 10 men behind the ball at almost every opportunity and no Rafa side is every easy to beat.

The first goal was incredibly lucky, after VVDs feeble clearance (when a little more on it and it would have gone to Cedric) the cross then deflects straight to their player, who's shot FF was saving, that rebound then goes straight to their player again and somehow goes through two of our players and wrong foots FF (who was doing the right thing, getting back and into the middle of the goal).

We also despite being slow and crap in our build up in the first half actually had two very good chances, one where Tadic had an easy free header and should have either scored or headed it back across to a free Long to tap in, he did neither. And another where Long was basically through and should have at the least worked the keeper but instead took so long to get it out of his feet the defender came back and blocked.

The second goal was just terrible all round, terrible from the defence and awful from FF. He needs to be dropped for his sanity, take him out of the limelight for a bit, let him get confidence back away from the fans because our own fans cheering because he caught the ball is not going to help anyone.

Essentially we have A LOT of players that are not in form and pretty much all our midfield and forward line are low on confidence and it shows, for all Long's endeavour and running, he hasn't scored in something like 30 games for club and country and chances are falling to him that he is wasting. It's the Heskey situation.

For the team that we are, we need players playing with confidence because when they are confident you will see one touch passing, one two's and first time shots, early shots and they will be getting onto stuff in the box. We have midfielders and forwards that are not exceptionally quick, not big and tall, we score our goals through good quick play, but when they are low on confidence they take an extra touch, they delay that shot, they take the easier pass and we look ponderous and slow.

This is the fundamental problem of not replacing Mane and Pelle, when we had bad days or it didn't quite click we could use Mane's raw pace and directness, we could play balls up to Pelle and look for knock downs, we could cross from deep and he'd still be a threat.

We don't have this, all our players are very samey, when on song they are very good technical players who can do what you need, but when pretty much all of them are out of form and low on confidence we look like a team of James Milners.

---------------------------------

Just on the VVD thing, I see people saying we should have sold him, you need to remember the club's stance was not really about VVD, it was about making a statement that we as a club couldn't be bullied and forced to sell. VVD just happened to be the player we took this stance on (wish it had been Mane).

Probably yes we need to sell him and re-invest that money in forwards, we need to go out and splash £80 million on two of the best young attacking talents we can find and will play for us. Because he's not offering anything more than what Hoedt, Yoshida and Stephens can give us. Sure at his best he is better than those players but I seriously doubt he'll be at his best until he signs for another club.

The most alarming thing for me is that we have had the easiest possible set of fixtures to start the season bar United at home. And we have been so disappointing. We are going to go on a trick run soon and we will lose a lot of games in a row. Fear we will start tumbling down the table.

Surely Pellegrino needs to make some changes: Drop Forster for a few games, bring boufal in for Redmond and not play two DMs. If we don't get a win against wba then I really think it is time to panic.

We will regret not making the most of this "easy" start once we are into the new year. Our fixtures from mid november onwards are as follows;

Liverpool A

Everton H

City A

Bournemouth A

Arsenal H

Leicester H

Chelsea A

Huddersfield H

Spurs A

United A

You could see us quite easily losing all of those with the exception of Huddersfield at home. We need to buck our ideas up quick.

Shocking performance. But I hope the board keeps their cool and doesn't bring in just anyone off the streets to replace Pellegrino. Even with him in charge, we won't be relegated. But if we chop and change all the time, bring in managers who we just fingers crossed, hope are an improvement, we'll eventually be relegated.

Shocking performance. But I hope the board keeps their cool and doesn't bring in just anyone off the streets to replace Pellegrino. Even with him in charge, we won't be relegated. But if we chop and change all the time, bring in managers who we just fingers crossed, hope are an improvement, we'll eventually be relegated.

Trouble is buddy his style of football just isn't compatible with what the fans want and what the board claim to want.

We will regret not making the most of this "easy" start once we are into the new year. Our fixtures from mid november onwards are as follows;

Liverpool A

Everton H

City A

Bournemouth A

Arsenal H

Leicester H

Chelsea A

Huddersfield H

Spurs A

United A

You could see us quite easily losing all of those with the exception of Huddersfield at home. We need to buck our ideas up quick.

Can't argue with this. I try not to panic when it comes to Saints, been supporting too long to try and predict anything, but I'm officially going dalek atm. I suspect we'll be flirting with the relegation spots after that run of fixtures.

Liverpool A

Everton H

City A

Bournemouth A

Arsenal H

Leicester H

Chelsea A

Huddersfield H

Spurs A

United A

Few teams lose 9 games out of 10; we could get something from the Dugouts/Leic/Hudds/B'mouth but agree it will be relatively slim pickings, we really need 6 points plus from our next three games!

Liverpool A

Everton H

City A

Bournemouth A

Arsenal H

Leicester H

Chelsea A

Huddersfield H

Spurs A

United A

Apart from the 2 away games in Manchester, don't really see much to worry about with that set of fixtures based on current form of those teams. Liverpool are poor, Everton are rubbish, Bournemouth poor, Arsenal poor, Leicester poor, Spurs at Wembley struggling (but we will probably lose), even Chelsea are quite beatable at the moment. Of course things may and probably will change before then, Koeman will probably have been sacked for example. But four of those 9 teams are currently below us in the League. Lining that up as a "lose 9 games" sequence at the moment is frankly laughable.

Also, how many goals have we conceded from rebounds, fortunate deflections falling to a player or someone having a go from long range?

And if we are conceding goals like this why aren't we giving ourselves a chance to score from them by doing the same to the opponent?

Because they don't have Forster in goal.

Apart from the 2 away games in Manchester, don't really see much to worry about with that set of fixtures based on current form of those teams. Liverpool are poor, Everton are rubbish, Bournemouth poor, Arsenal poor, Leicester poor, Spurs at Wembley struggling (but we will probably lose), even Chelsea are quite beatable at the moment. Of course things may and probably will change before then, Koeman will probably have been sacked for example. But four of those 9 teams are currently below us in the League. Lining that up as a "lose 9 games" sequence at the moment is frankly laughable.

Those teams may well be slightly off form.

But we are monumentally off form.

It's not like we're at the top of our game facing those teams - our last season under Koeman for example, I would be confident of getting something out of all of those games with the exception of the two Manchester ones (and even something from United).

Also, how many goals have we conceded from rebounds, fortunate deflections falling to a player or someone having a go from long range?

And if we are conceding goals like this why aren't we giving ourselves a chance to score from them by doing the same to the opponent?

Because we look for the tricky pass when in the box.............oh having sssllllooooowwwweeeedddd right down or stopped and let the Oppos get organised first.

Would have taken a point before kick off, so can't be too disappointed with that. Travel for the away fans was a nightmare by all accounts, but Sky wouldn't care about all that.

We came with a plan and it worked, for the most part. Allow you possession in areas we feel aren't too dangerous, but shut it down when you get close to the box. Most of your touches came in your own half, or wide and deep. Idea was clearly to get you frustrated and try and pick you off on with quick breaks. Perez did well being a pest until he went off and nearly harassed Forster into a foul up or two.

Speaking of Forster, what's happened to that lad? Seems sluggish and bereft of confidence.

Manquillo was at fault for Gabbiadini's first and Lejeune was guilty of a stupid foul for your penalty (which was brilliantly despatched). Those two incidents aside I thought we defended very well.

Boufal looks like the kind of player that divides opinions, can twist defenders inside out, get into a great position, then lash the ball harmlessly over the bar while there's 2 players free in great positions.

For what it's worth I thought Yedlin was lucky to stay on, but the ref gave you most of the 50/50s.

Disappointed we couldn't make more of the opportunities from set pieces, as that's been a strength of ours.

Frustrated that Gayle came on, and apparently immediately felt tightness in his calf. Meant we were playing with 10 1/2 players for the final 20 minutes or so. Had he been fit, we probably were going to try and find space as the game stretched. Get the ball into gaps for Atsu/Murphy, Gayle, and the Yo-yo we've got at right back.

Good luck with the season lads. I'm convinced you'll be fine, just need to find Gabbiadini with more, better chances.

Liverpool A

Everton H

City A

Bournemouth A

Arsenal H

Leicester H

Chelsea A

Huddersfield H

Spurs A

United A

Just like last time we were relegated, I remember the apathy whilst Wigley threw away countless points at home against the lesser sides.

We're sat 10th but our true position is much lower.

Liverpool A

Everton H

City A

Bournemouth A

Arsenal H

Leicester H

Chelsea A

Huddersfield H

Spurs A

United A

The thought of Man City's attack against Fraser Forster petrifies me right now, if it continues as things are it could be a cricket score

Agree, it isn't THAT bad. It is however more of a challenge than our first 10 games and we're all well aware how well that's gone so far.

Good luck with the season lads. I'm convinced you'll be fine, just need to find Gabbiadini with more, better chances.

Good analysis, particularly your point about Boufal as well.

I had possibly a pint or two more than normal before the game, so I may have been a bit louder than normal bellowing: 'Forster, you're allowed to use your hands!" when he was once again static on his line for a takeable cross. I also took umbrage at someone behind me who was having a go at Boufal before he'd even had a chance.

The only players who really impressed me were Lemina and Gabbiadini although I definitely think Bouffal is getting better: Long for all his effort was having a particularly bad game. VVD seems to stroll around looking effortless even when he should be making an effing effort.

The trip home on the train was fun - I managed to find a bit of floor space to sit on but scores were standing. I must remember not to get to the pub quite so early with the 5.30 kick off next week or who knows where my language might end up! :-)

We're slowly getting there. At least the penny appears to be dropping, that we need to have two strikers up front. Now all that needs to happen, is for Pellegrino to try the 3-5-2 formation, utilising Bertrand and Cedric as wing backs. When we're on the back foot, we'd have a back line of five and when attacking, a midfield of five to keep possession, increase the width and put in the crosses to the two strikers.

Now that we have VVD back, we have the option of him in the centre of the back three, with either of Yoshida, Stephens and Hoedt either side. With Lemina and Romeu in front of him, this would provide extra protection for Fraser, something that he badly needs in his current (lack of) form.

As usual, there were some ifs and buts which could have brought about a different conclusion to the match. Had we not been so amateurish in our lack of concentration in the short time after we had equalised, we might have gone on to win. Also, had the referee had any balls, then Newcastle would have been down to 10 men had Yedlin been red-carded after his horrific foul on Redmond having already been booked, but according to the MOTD pundits, Friend was unsighted. Yet another incident that justifies the clamour for video evidence. On the other side of the coin, Lejeune's tackle on Long which gave us the penalty was extremely stupid, but he nearly atoned by scoring, had not Davis been on the line to clear his header. And then they also hit the bar with Forster well beaten.

Personally, I would be happy if the club fined the players for each ball that goes backwards or sideways when there are options available to play the ball forward. I am dying of boredom at home matches having to watch the ball played out short from Forster and then watching it progress sideways and backwards, then forward to the middle of the pitch before making its ways backwards once more. It is clear to everybody that by the time the ball is played forward decisively, the defence is lined up to repel any attack. We can't rely on other teams having a keeper as inept as Forster to save goals from daisy-cutters from well outside the area, or to rely on us making those sorts of shots. Since when do we shoot from outside of the box? Some of our players are even afraid to shoot from within the area, preferring to try and walk the ball into the net, notably Tadic and Redmond.

Speaking of Redmond, there was an occasion in the second half when he received the ball early near the corner flag and waiting foot on ball for several seconds pondering what to do with it. Looking along the line, we had three players in a line across in front of the goal, so the obvious choice was to put the ball in front of them to attack it. There is always the chance of an own goal too. So he sent it to one of our players outside of the box in front of the goal, with defenders in front of them facing forward seeking to clear the danger up-field.

Things improved with the introduction of Davis and Boufal. Boufal in particular had a immediate impact and one wonders whether he should have started instead of Redmond. He certainly showed a lot of determination tracking back and seems to have a quicker brain than Redmond.

I'm delighted that Gabbiadini was rewarded with a brace of goals and now with a real confidence boost he can maybe start bagging some more with frequency.

I don't think that we're far away from a decent team, but Pellegrino has had enough time to assess what our best team is and also which tactics and formation ought to best suit it.

That's 3-5-2.

Also, had the referee had any balls, then Newcastle would have been down to 10 men had Yedlin been red-carded after his horrific foul on Redmond having already been booked, but according to the MOTD pundits, Friend was unsighted.

Steady now. It wasn't a horror tackle. Late, sure, but it wasn't malicious. It was a second yellow, but it wasn't straight red.

To be honest, had he gone off we may have made substitutions to shut up shop and subsequently may not have conceded the penalty, so really you should be glad he stayed on... ;)

Lemina and Gabbiadini, two shining lights at the moment.

Manolo showed a glimpse of his class creating that first goal all on his own, truly a top striker and must play every game from now. Hopefully the brace kick starts his 30 goal season!

Lemina is class in the middle of the park as usual, hopefully Romeu is learning from him before his inevitable departure next August (too good for us)

We're slowly getting there. At least the penny appears to be dropping, that we need to have two strikers up front. Now all that needs to happen, is for Pellegrino to try the 3-5-2 formation, utilising Bertrand and Cedric as wing backs. When we're on the back foot, we'd have a back line of five and when attacking, a midfield of five to keep possession, increase the width and put in the crosses to the two strikers.

Now that we have VVD back, we have the option of him in the centre of the back three, with either of Yoshida, Stephens and Hoedt either side. With Lemina and Romeu in front of him, this would provide extra protection for Fraser, something that he badly needs in his current (lack of) form.

As usual, there were some ifs and buts which could have brought about a different conclusion to the match. Had we not been so amateurish in our lack of concentration in the short time after we had equalised, we might have gone on to win. Also, had the referee had any balls, then Newcastle would have been down to 10 men had Yedlin been red-carded after his horrific foul on Redmond having already been booked, but according to the MOTD pundits, Friend was unsighted. Yet another incident that justifies the clamour for video evidence. On the other side of the coin, Lejeune's tackle on Long which gave us the penalty was extremely stupid, but he nearly atoned by scoring, had not Davis been on the line to clear his header. And then they also hit the bar with Forster well beaten.

Personally, I would be happy if the club fined the players for each ball that goes backwards or sideways when there are options available to play the ball forward. I am dying of boredom at home matches having to watch the ball played out short from Forster and then watching it progress sideways and backwards, then forward to the middle of the pitch before making its ways backwards once more. It is clear to everybody that by the time the ball is played forward decisively, the defence is lined up to repel any attack. We can't rely on other teams having a keeper as inept as Forster to save goals from daisy-cutters from well outside the area, or to rely on us making those sorts of shots. Since when do we shoot from outside of the box? Some of our players are even afraid to shoot from within the area, preferring to try and walk the ball into the net, notably Tadic and Redmond.

Speaking of Redmond, there was an occasion in the second half when he received the ball early near the corner flag and waiting foot on ball for several seconds pondering what to do with it. Looking along the line, we had three players in a line across in front of the goal, so the obvious choice was to put the ball in front of them to attack it. There is always the chance of an own goal too. So he sent it to one of our players outside of the box in front of the goal, with defenders in front of them facing forward seeking to clear the danger up-field.

Things improved with the introduction of Davis and Boufal. Boufal in particular had a immediate impact and one wonders whether he should have started instead of Redmond. He certainly showed a lot of determination tracking back and seems to have a quicker brain than Redmond.

I'm delighted that Gabbiadini was rewarded with a brace of goals and now with a real confidence boost he can maybe start bagging some more with frequency.

I don't think that we're far away from a decent team, but Pellegrino has had enough time to assess what our best team is and also which tactics and formation ought to best suit it.

That's 3-5-2.

Unsighted? That tackle and the Great Wall of China were both visible from space.

As usual, there were some ifs and buts which could have brought about a different conclusion to the match. Had we not been so amateurish in our lack of concentration in the short time after we had equalised, we might have gone on to win. Also, had the referee had any balls, then Newcastle would have been down to 10 men had Yedlin been red-carded after his horrific foul on Redmond having already been booked, but according to the MOTD pundits, Friend was unsighted. Yet another incident that justifies the clamour for video evidence.

I heard that on MOTD last night, and my immediate thought was what about the linesman, was he not on that side of the pitch? At the time it looked a straight red to me from the Kingsland/Northam corner.

Steady now. It wasn't a horror tackle. Late, sure, but it wasn't malicious. It was a second yellow, but it wasn't straight red.

To be honest, had he gone off we may have made substitutions to shut up shop and subsequently may not have conceded the penalty, so really you should be glad he stayed on... ;)

Yedlin was already on a yellow before that tackle, so at the very least he should have received the red card for a second yellow, even if you are benevolent enough towards your player to excuse the tackle as being unworthy of a red by itself. Whether it was malicious in that it was deliberately intended to do Redmond physical harm or not, only Yedlin knows for sure. However, I agree with the pundits that had Redmond not lifted his feet off the ground on impact, then he could have suffered quite a serious injury.

To counter your justifiable comment that had you gone down to 10 men, you would have shut up shop and not conceded the penalty, I will be mischievous and wonder whether we would have been more of a threat had Redmond indeed been injured and therefore had to be substituted. :lol:

I applaud Newcastle though for continuing to play attacking football when ahead, instead of parking the bus.

Lemina and Gabbiadini, two shining lights at the moment.

Manolo showed a glimpse of his class creating that first goal all on his own, truly a top striker and must play every game from now. Hopefully the brace kick starts his 30 goal season!

Lemina is class in the middle of the park as usual, hopefully Romeu is learning from him before his inevitable departure next August (too good for us)

Gabby's been out of the side for a while, so not sure he counts as a shining light in the same way Lemina does. Thought it was very poor defending for his first goal - who gets the time to dribble towards goal, turn, then dribble away from goal before turning again and getting a shot off? It has FIFA written all over it. Not sure Gabby and Long worked particularly well in the first half, though it was reassuring to see more than one player in the box when we put a cross in.

People slating VVD either didn’t go to the same game as me, didn’t see the same game as me, or simply didn’t watch the game at all. He showed what we’ve been missing by being on the end of virtually every ball in both boxes.

The first goal was scrappy all round, which included van Dijk’s sloppy clearance, but hardly the only mistake leading up to it. I seem to recall the second goal being something of a parting of the Red Sea, with defenders being dragged all over the place.

Um! If you were there as you say, the only inference from your comments is that you are an apologist for the Lying Dutchman. It was quite clear to most observers that he was only going through the motions with little effort to do more than the bare minimum. He was coasting throughout maybe because he is nowhere near fit or more likely just jogging through to the time he gets parole. If this remains his attitude than get him as far away from the team as possible and settle in Hoedt who was brought in to replace him presumably. I want players out there who will put everything they've got on the line for their team like Oriol Romeu and Cedric Soares.

Um! If you were there as you say, the only inference from your comments is that you are an apologist for the Lying Dutchman. It was quite clear to most observers that he was only going through the motions with little effort to do more than the bare minimum. He was coasting throughout maybe because he is nowhere near fit or more likely just jogging through to the time he gets parole. If this remains his attitude than get him as far away from the team as possible and settle in Hoedt who was brought in to replace him presumably. I want players out there who will put everything they've got on the line for their team like Oriol Romeu and Cedric Soares.

Not at all. I think he’s a pr1ck. But I also thought he was good. Having seen the highlights now, I agree that there were a couple of moments to be concerned about (1st goal and the bit leading up to their flukey crossbar moment, but not the 2nd goal), perhaps he is still rusty or perhaps he will prove to be a little lackadaisical in covering the ground - time will tell - but there were also countless times where he did something good. Towering headers most notably, as well as being a threat at corners, something we have sorely missed. Sure, maybe these aspects of the game are things which require less “effort”, but rather than me being an apologist I think it’s more likely that those who have convinced themselves VVD doesn’t care (which he probably doesn’t, to an extent) are also victims of confirmation bias in that every mistake is ‘evidence’ of what they suspected.