Saints vs. Newcastle Thread

Dark Munster

If the official formation graphic is genuine, that's an absolutely bizarre lineup.

Lemina and Romeu should be able to control middle. I think Gabbiadini making runs from deep with Long stretching the Newcastle back 4 could be our best attacking option. I like the line up and fancy us for a few goals today.

Long will be the focal point, winning headers and running the channels, with Gabbi making runs from deep into the space Long creates looking for the lay off or the pass from Tadic/Redmond.

Can see that, though depends whether we play to Long’s strengths which isn’t necessarily possession-based football. Gabbi thrives playing off the last shoulder so will be see interesting to see what he does from a deeper position. Hopefully he doesn’t drop too deep looking for the ball.

Might as well give the shirt to one of the trees in St Mary's churchyard, it would be more mobile than Austin!

Then he's a tree who can direct the ball between posts when others aim for open spaces. O for a Terry Paine to supply accurate crosses to a striker in the box.

This is the lineup I wanted to see a few weeks back. Hope Long can pull their defence around and create space for Gabbi to run into!

Would prefer Tadic and Redmond to play on the other wings though, would probably allow faster play with fewer touches taken.

As Gabbi isn't as sharp as he was pre-injury, wouldn't it be better to have Gabbi in front? Long has the speed to create openings for Gabs from any forward position. And Gab is more likely to put the ball into the net than Long.

What a bizarre lineup.

Surely, surely if we're going to persist with this formation and tactic to get full backs overlapping and get crosses into the box we need to have our best finisher and header of the ball on the pitch in Charlie Austin.

Alternatively if the idea is to play short quick passes around the box, why is the player with the most dribbling flair in our squad not selected either.

Utterly baffling calls on both parts for me. Things aren't working, yet nothing is profoundly changing.

This midfield shape does not suit the players picked. We’ll get overrun down the wings. I’m starting to have real doubts about our manager’s ability. Hope he proves me wrong. COYR

Why will we get over run down the wings? Those are the same players who play those positions most weeks and we don't get over run down the flanks every week.

The main issue for me with that team selection is weather it actually makes us any more dangerous in attack or weather Gabbi and Long are just going to get in each others way both trying to occupy the same space.

Why will we get over run down the wings? Those are the same players who play those positions most weeks and we don't get over run down the flanks every week.

The main issue for me with that team selection is weather it actually makes us any more dangerous in attack or weather Gabbi and Long are just going to get in each others way both trying to occupy the same space.

We shall see

What a bizarre lineup.

Surely, surely if we're going to persist with this formation and tactic to get full backs overlapping and get crosses into the box we need to have our best finisher and header of the ball on the pitch in Charlie Austin.

Alternatively if the idea is to play short quick passes around the box, why is the player with the most dribbling flair in our squad not selected either.

Utterly baffling calls on both parts for me. Things aren't working, yet nothing is profoundly changing.

I do agree that Austin would suit our style of play much more than any of our other strikers, but i'm interested to see what Long and Gabbi can do together up top. A lot of good movement in that front line, and Tadic has shown in the past he's capable of picking the killer pass.

Redmond must have some serious dirt on Les Reed......

If the manager wants to persist with this formation his choices are Boufal, a play even less productive than Redmond, or McQueen still relatively unproven. If it was me I'd give McQueen a run out but the truth is Redmond is the best option out of three pretty average options. Can we do better than Redmond..yes do we have better in the current squad.. not really.

If the manager wants to persist with this formation his choices are Boufal, a play even less productive than Redmond, or McQueen still relatively unproven. If it was me I'd give McQueen a run out but the truth is Redmond is the best option out of three pretty average options. Can we do better than Redmond..yes do we have better in the current squad.. not really.

How do we know that we don't have better unless they ae given a chance to play in the team?

I just hope that the manager doesn't wait until the 75th minute to make changes if his selection is not working.

Sat here watching the warm up and our forwards practicing some shooting is not filling me,with confidence....

I’m a forward, but I never shoot during the warmup. It doesn’t feel the same as during game making it a sort of pointles “who can score the most outrageous shot” competition. I’d rather domdynamic stretches, passes and mini sprints.

How do we know that we don't have better unless they ae given a chance to play in the team?

I just hope that the manager doesn't wait until the 75th minute to make changes if his selection is not working.

Both have played if the manager thought they were better they would be playing instead of Redmond.

Boufal is quickly becoming one of those players who gets better with every week he doesn't play.

Anybody else hear claridge on 5 live saying that saints should spend the money before selling players to fund it, that way the players being sold might then stay? The man's a genius, why has no other south coast club thought of that? :D :D