Gordan Strachan

9-3

I thought he was just the manager at the right time for Saints.

Having been relegated with Coventry in his first managerial role, Rupert Lowe took a big gamble on appointing him as manager after Stuart Gray in our first season at St. Mary's.

His first task was to make the team fitter, which he did. He made us tougher to beat and bought in confidence to each player.

Such a bubbly character, his comments were legendary.

When asked for a quick answer to a question, he replied, ''velocity''.

Bit strange him leaving before the end of the season when he did, stating he had to have a hip operation, or were there divisions with Lowe?

In Paul Sturrocks autobiography, before he took over from Strachan, it states that Sturrock phoned up Strachan to ask him about Rupert Lowe, Strachan replied, ''that's for you to find out''.

Strachan was good for Saints and Saints were good Strachan.

Thanks Gordon.

Does anyone else find it strange that the velocity "joke" gets repeated so regularly as a sign of Strachan's great wit? Is the bar really that low in football? If you heard somebody say that in real life, you'd surely just roll your eyes and have forgotten it a day later.

Obviously a very good manager for us though.

Does anyone else find it strange that the velocity "joke" gets repeated so regularly as a sign of Strachan's great wit? Is the bar really that low in football? If you heard somebody say that in real life, you'd surely just roll your eyes and have forgotten it a day later.

Obviously a very good manager for us though.

finishing 8th (someway behind Eveton in 7th) and a cup final .....

WGS' spell at Saints was (and still is) probably my favourite period of supporting Saints for 25 years.

Until that point in the early 00s, I had only ever known a team that struggled for the most part (save the odd mid-table finish in the late 90s!). He was a big part in transforming our fortunes, albeit only for a few years before it all gradually went t*ts up:scared:

Sad to see him get so much stick over the Scotland job, but I suppose that is life as a manager in 2017.

Quite interesting that one of the citations against Strachan's regime was it operated 'a reign of terror'. He was very clearly of the old school of British coaches who placed physical attributes above skill. All I can remember of his time here now was that the players were fitter than they had ever been and with good stamina up to the end of games. There were no stories here of a reign of terror but maybe that's how he got us up to 4th for a while and into the FA Cup Final? He will never be a top coach and Scotland need better.

WGS' spell at Saints was (and still is) probably my favourite period of supporting Saints for 25 years.

Until that point in the early 00s, I had only ever known a team that struggled for the most part (save the odd mid-table finish in the late 90s!). He was a big part in transforming our fortunes, albeit only for a few years before it all gradually went t*ts up:scared:

Sad to see him get so much stick over the Scotland job, but I suppose that is life as a manager in 2017.

How long was he with us? Thought only one full season. Personally not one of the best periods, remember the football as efficient hardworking and dull. As a game I enjoyed last year's final more that WGS' one. He seems very over rated on here.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

How long was he with us? Thought only one full season. Personally not one of the best periods, remember the football as efficient hardworking and dull. As a game I enjoyed last year's final more that WGS' one. He seems very over rated on here.

You have to put it into context of the time we had been perennial strugglers for some time before WGS so 8th and a cup final was a big deal at the time. Obviously time has moved on and 8th and a cup final gets you no credit with the fanbase these days but back then it got a manager cult status.

I agree he got us playing in a way that made the most of what we had, definitely hard working.

Can't agree with you that it was dull though. Beattie was on fire for the most part, Pahars (when fit!) had some great games, Niemi regularly made incredible saves, Killer Svensson established himself as a dominant centre back, Bridge and Marsden had a terrific partnership down the left...there was a lot of good stuff going on back then to be fair. Not always perfect by any means but it could have been a lot worse!

4-0 v Spurs in the FA Cup is one of my favourite matches, and a rare live game on BBC back in those days.

Definitely. I've still got the newspaper cutting that has a picture of Beattie celebrating with the headline "LET'S ALL LAUGH AT SPURS". Though I enjoyed the 1-0 (Delap?) a few weeks earlier just as much if not more, given if was Hoddle's first game back.

Efficient and hardworking but not dull. The team were so fit, kept going to the final whistle at full pelt and often nicked a result. But dull. Direct maybe, but none of the backward passing typical of Puel and MP. Yes, Wembley was more exciting than Cardiff, but that was down to the opposition in large parts.

4-0 v Spurs in the FA Cup is one of my favourite matches, and a rare live game on BBC back in those days.

That was a cracker, other than Millwall at home, so were all the other ties leading up to the final.

Does Strachan still have his house near Warsash? If rumours are true and QPR decide to poach the fella currently in charge of that 3rd division outfit, wonder if Strach could end up there? Nah, too big a step down, even from the Scottish job!

That was a cracker, other than Millwall at home, so were all the other ties leading up to the final.

Does Strachan still have his house near Warsash? If rumours are true and QPR decide to poach the fella currently in charge of that 3rd division outfit, wonder if Strach could end up there? Nah, too big a step down, even from the Scottish job!

He sold it a couple of years ago

http://www.scotsman.com/news/gordon-strachan-sells-english-mansion-for-1-25m-1-3436015