Getting older - was it this bad for everyone?

thesaint sfc

This is a classic sign of clinical depression.

You can go and see your GP about this is if you want to, but with the current wait times for mental health issues, you might be waiting a long time for any kind of assessment, and even longer for any kind of treatment. In a lot of cases, the GP will look to just prescribe some anti-depressants and get you out the door again. Now this might work for a lot of people, but it isn't right for everyone and can lead to lots of other problems as trying to come off them again can prove very difficult and produce symptoms which are often worse than the ones they were originally prescribed for.

If you don't want to go down this route immediately then you can try changing your lifestyle first. Do you get a lot of exercise? Just being active a couple of times a week can really help to improve seratonin production and make a big difference. I would suggest, if you don't already, that you try going for long country walks or bike rides. Study after study has shown that regular exercise and connection with nature are excellent natural anti-depressants.

If you already do these things then maybe take up a new hobby, or join some kind of groups where you get to meet and spend time with people who do share your interests and opinions, rather than the ones who you say you have nothing in common with. Just being around like-minded people will make you feel much better than feeling separated from those who you struggle to connect with any more.

Or it could also be down to the fact that sitting around on his arse and never actually going out and doing anything has made him feel lethargic and miserable. its well know that the less you do that the more miserable you become. If he actually dropped the superiority complex, became a bit more humble and went out for a few walks i'm pretty sure that his "clinical depression" would suddenly be cured and his parents, friends and staff might thinking he's less of a pompous, knowitall arsehole.

Ins - Family, travel, golf, Saints (yes, still), singing, laughing, joking & being positive !

Outs - Religion, politics, political correctness, leftie quangos, Juncker, Trump, Kim Jung Un, Alpine_Saint & Heisenberg !

http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=louis+armstrong+what+a+wonderful+world&qpvt=louis+armstrong+what+a+wonderful+world&view=detail&mid=1083A103F78218CF8B281083A103F78218CF8B28&FORM=VRDGAR

A good friend of mine for over 35 years hasn't got long left, and even the months he has got are going to be pretty horrendous. He told me about a month ago and its really put things into perspective. I remember my Dad's best friend passed away at 52 and being 18 ish at the time , I clearly remember thinking he hadn't had a bad innings . Now my mate won't reach 55 and it shocks me I ever thought 50 was old.

It's been interesting reading people's take on old age and life. For me having children changed everything . The youngest of 5 is now 17, so maybe it's time for some me time. I've got a pretty ****ty job, that pays well, certainly way above what it should. Having been doing it for a number of years I'm stuck in a bit of a rut as I'm way over paid for the industry and skills I've got. My other half earns less but has a job she'd do for nothing, I guess that's the ideal situation to be in. I decided a long time ago that having a shiete working life, means I'm going to make up for it out of work.

As for politics, it may come as a surprise but I don't discuss it with friends. I don't know how they vote or whether they're a Leaver or a Remainer and they don't know what I am. Clearly some will suspect and I'm sure some of my buddies are rampant lefties.

You only get one life, that's it. Some make a mark, make a difference . I doubt I will, but I've bought 5 smashing kids up, who touch wood are all on the straight and narrow, decent members of society. That is a decent epitaph, that'll do me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A good friend of mine for over 35 years hasn't got long left, and even the months he has got are going to be pretty horrendous. He told me about a month ago and its really put things into perspective. I remember my Dad's best friend passed away at 52 and being 18 ish at the time , I clearly remember thinking he hadn't had a bad innings . Now my mate won't reach 55 and it shocks me I ever thought 50 was old.

It's been interesting reading people's take on old age and life. For me having children changed everything . The youngest of 5 is now 17, so maybe it's time for some me time. I've got a pretty ****ty job, that pays well, certainly way above what it should. Having been doing it for a number of years I'm stuck in a bit of a rut as I'm way over paid for the industry and skills I've got. My other half earns less but has a job she'd do for nothing, I guess that's the ideal situation to be in. I decided a long time ago that having a shiete working life, means I'm going to make up for it out of work.

As for politics, it may come as a surprise but I don't discuss it with friends. I don't know how they vote or whether they're a Leaver or a Remainer and they don't know what I am. Clearly some will suspect and I'm sure some of my buddies are rampant lefties.

You only get one life, that's it. Some make a mark, make a difference . I doubt I will, but I've bought 5 smashing kids up, who touch wood are all on the straight and narrow, decent members of society. That is a decent epitaph, that'll do me.

Good point on politics. I tend not to discuss it with my mates either and most of us have more interesting things to discuss than obsessing about Corbyn or May or being bar expert politicians who think they know more than anyone, they are worse than the pub football fan who has no idea what is going on but tries to talk intelligently on the subject. I tend to find people who have a keen interest in politics to be very angry people. Angrily trying to shoehorn their beliefs into what they think they should believe. Outraged by everything, angry at the world. The lefties are probably slightly worse because they pretend to be lovely caring people but many of them have a huge superiority complex, freedom of speech as long as it's something they agree with, anyone who doesn't see the world as they see it is thick and probably racist.

Good point on politics. I tend not to discuss it with my mates either and most of us have more interesting things to discuss than obsessing about Corbyn or May or being bar expert politicians who think they know more than anyone, they are worse than the pub football fan who has no idea what is going on but tries to talk intelligently on the subject. I tend to find people who have a keen interest in politics to be very angry people. Angrily trying to shoehorn their beliefs into what they think they should believe. Outraged by everything, angry at the world. The lefties are probably slightly worse because they pretend to be lovely caring people but many of them have a huge superiority complex, freedom of speech as long as it's something they agree with, anyone who doesn't see the world as they see it is thick and probably racist.

And you're not an angry person? We may all be lovely in real life but Lord Pony and yourself come across as quite bitter. For people that don't talk about politics in real life you sure make up for it on here. F*ck me it's leftie this leftie that, on a thread about being positive in life!

Tbf your reply to the OP suggested fair bit of aggression.

As regards more interesting than politics- a time and a place for everything. I quite like putting the world to right with mates over a few beers although it does get like grumpy old men getting nostalgic the glorious years that never really existed. I am at age where That doesn’t make a bad night out and I’m not jealous of those too busy having fun and downing Jaeger bombs and having banter.

Btw I acknowledge I am angry too.

Edited by whelk

I am genuinely surprised about hiding your politics and can’t relate to not knowing where your mates stands as so many innocuous views will give an indication. I mean if you went out with mates the day after the election it would not even get a mention?

Nice to know more about you though.

Jesus. The western world doesn't know hardship, so I'd be inclined to say that you need to get over it slightly.

I'm 29. Love my family, love my mates, love Saints, love football, quite like my job, have my own house, live for each day but also make sensible plans for the future.

If you don't enjoy anything at all then whats the point? You say you could toss it off all day quite happily, I'd suggest a beach, a beer and to try not take life too seriously.

Oh, and NEVER discuss religion or politics, I thought everyone knew that?

Spot on. I be willing to bet that the OP votes for the left - I should caveat this by assuming all snowflakes are lefties :)

The worst thing of getting older for me is that too much footy has knackered my joints. But i've got a kid on the way so have to slow down at some point anyway... (ask me in 6months are i'll probably be moaning about lack of sleep!)

Edited by Saint86

Funnily enough, I've been having similar thoughts.

I'm 33, 2 kids (5 and 0), decent enough job, nice missus etc, but I've found it very hard to block out the negatives that we're seeing in the world today. With the frequent terrorist attacks, Trump/North Korea, and Brexit hanging over our heads - as well as the utter incompetence of the incumbent Government/the delusion of the opposition, it's making me want to do something drastic (not Las Vegas shooter drastic, more emigration, build own house in middle of country and become self-sufficient type thing). Both my parents have had cancer in the last year and both survived which I am thankful for, but it's an indication of their age and that they may not be around that much longer.

Personally, I think one of the biggest issues for me is 'the news', and the way that news outlets have prioritised bad news as clickbait as technology has taken over our lives. However, it is genuinely difficult to cut it out of your life. I have cut down my time on this forum, as well as removing myself from Sotonians completely. Next to go will be Facebook, as 90% of the people on there I couldn't give a f$%^ about anyway. However, it is useful to use to arrange get-togethers. Twitter will be a hard one to remove myself from though, as it's where I get a lot of my sports news from.

Does anyone else have any tips as to how to live the blissfully ignorant life?

Anyway, just rambling a little. The World is pretty depressing at the moment. Here's to hoping the National and International outlook improves!

Funnily enough, I've been having similar thoughts.

I'm 33, 2 kids (5 and 0), decent enough job, nice missus etc, but I've found it very hard to block out the negatives that we're seeing in the world today. With the frequent terrorist attacks, Trump/North Korea, and Brexit hanging over our heads - as well as the utter incompetence of the incumbent Government/the delusion of the opposition, it's making me want to do something drastic (not Las Vegas shooter drastic, more emigration, build own house in middle of country and become self-sufficient type thing). Both my parents have had cancer in the last year and both survived which I am thankful for, but it's an indication of their age and that they may not be around that much longer.

Personally, I think one of the biggest issues for me is 'the news', and the way that news outlets have prioritised bad news as clickbait as technology has taken over our lives. However, it is genuinely difficult to cut it out of your life. I have cut down my time on this forum, as well as removing myself from Sotonians completely. Next to go will be Facebook, as 90% of the people on there I couldn't give a f$%^ about anyway. However, it is useful to use to arrange get-togethers. Twitter will be a hard one to remove myself from though, as it's where I get a lot of my sports news from.

Does anyone else have any tips as to how to live the blissfully ignorant life?

Anyway, just rambling a little. The World is pretty depressing at the moment. Here's to hoping the National and International outlook improves!

Glad you confirmed not Vegas shooting drastic as that would be a worry.

Hasn't the world been "pretty depressing" for a few hundred thousand years now (in some shape or form)?

What about when Labour got in and D Ream sung Thjngs can only get better. And wasn’t that around Euro96 when England were half decent. Ahh happy days

Spot on. I be willing to bet that the OP votes for the left - I should caveat this by assuming all snowflakes are lefties [emoji4]

The worst thing of getting older for me is that too much footy has knackered my joints. But i've got a kid on the way so have to slow down at some point anyway... (ask me in 6months are i'll probably be moaning about lack of sleep!)

Sure you won’t ever suffer any mental illness being a selfish right wing unsympathetic cnt so don’t worry.

Kids in special needs schools seem a pretty cheerful lot too.

That is completely untrue. My wife works with SEN kids. It can be rewarding and she loves her work but there are a lot of tragic stories and many kids are far from happy

That is completely untrue. My wife works with SEN kids. It can be rewarding and she loves her work but there are a lot of tragic stories and many kids are far from happy

It was clearly a half arsed bad taste jokette about australians. I don't think my low bar needs fact checking.

The worst thing of getting older for me is that too much footy has knackered my joints. But i've got a kid on the way so have to slow down at some point anyway...

I played 11 a side until I was 47. Early 30’s I felt like packing in , but stuck it out. Ended up playing in the same side as 2 of my older kids and also played 5 a side with my nipper , who was 14 at the time. Had to give up in the end because it took till Tuesday to get over a Sunday game. Did not fancy veterans, so now 5 seasons retired and missing it every single Sunday . I’d advise anyone, play as long as you can...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk