Getting older - was it this bad for everyone?

thesaint sfc

F*ck me. I'm 27, 28 next month. I find myself reading the news every day and feeling more miserable and sick of mankind. The days of hope and ambition seem well and truly dead. I'm finding that I have a complete lack of interest in everything and when it comes to seeing friends or family I'd rather just stay at home with my partner who feels exactly the same.

I find myself having more meaningful conversations with people who I have known for years and finding out that their opinions and views are completely moronic and that we have absolutely nothing in common.

I run my own business and have several people working for me who I can barely tolerate. My business is quite successful, but I find even this depressing as my previous energy that I would put into work isn't really necessary anymore and I could pretty much toss myself off all day vs working and achieve the same outcome.

I have conversations with my parents who I couldn't feel further away from. My Dad is pro trump and brexit and my mum has no realistic view of anything in the world. I feel so much more experienced and understanding of the world than them that I can't even be bothered to talk about the things that interest me as they wouldn't understand. It's bizarre to no longer see my parents as the superheros they were when I was growing up.

I come and read this forum (terrible idea) and feel even more depressed. My interest in Saints is dying at an alarming rate.

Am I in a slump or was getting older and realising what a piece of sh*t the world is the same for everyone?

F*ck me. I'm 27, 28 next month. I find myself reading the news every day and feeling more miserable and sick of mankind. The days of hope and ambition seem well and truly dead. I'm finding that I have a complete lack of interest in everything and when it comes to seeing friends or family I'd rather just stay at home with my partner who feels exactly the same.

I find myself having more meaningful conversations with people who I have known for years and finding out that their opinions and views are completely moronic and that we have absolutely nothing in common.

I run my own business and have several people working for me who I can barely tolerate. My business is quite successful, but I find even this depressing as my previous energy that I would put into work isn't really necessary anymore and I could pretty much toss myself off all day vs working and achieve the same outcome.

I have conversations with my parents who I couldn't feel further away from. My Dad is pro trump and brexit and my mum has no realistic view of anything in the world. I feel so much more experienced and understanding of the world than them that I can't even be bothered to talk about the things that interest me as they wouldn't understand. It's bizarre to no longer see my parents as the superheros they were when I was growing up.

I come and read this forum (terrible idea) and feel even more depressed. My interest in Saints is dying at an alarming rate.

Am I in a slump or was getting older and realising what a piece of sh*t the world is the same for everyone?

has you get older your supposed to get wiser but in reality its not true,unfortunelly we are going threw a negative decade of doom and gloom.make sure you don,t get depressed and find new things to do and i,m hopefull that a lot of younger generation have a more hopefull view of the world.i to have friends who have gone brain dead and negative but when i lost my mum lately rallyed round and gave me support and don,t buy newspapers,their just propganda sheets for their owners.

Jesus. The western world doesn't know hardship, so I'd be inclined to say that you need to get over it slightly.

I'm 29. Love my family, love my mates, love Saints, love football, quite like my job, have my own house, live for each day but also make sensible plans for the future.

If you don't enjoy anything at all then whats the point? You say you could toss it off all day quite happily, I'd suggest a beach, a beer and to try not take life too seriously.

Oh, and NEVER discuss religion or politics, I thought everyone knew that?

Jesus. The western world doesn't know hardship, so I'd be inclined to say that you need to get over it slightly.

I'm 29. Love my family, love my mates, love Saints, love football, quite like my job, have my own house, live for each day but also make sensible plans for the future.

If you don't enjoy anything at all then whats the point? You say you could toss it off all day quite happily, I'd suggest a beach, a beer and to try not take life too seriously.

Oh, and NEVER discuss religion or politics, I thought everyone knew that?

Pretty much this. Absolutely no point on getting hung up on things like Trump that you have zero control over. Enjoy things with your partner if you have one, watch the football but don't take it too seriously, come on here to blow off a bit of steam and argue with the usual suspects and goon holidays and experience other cultures. Be thankful you've been born where you are where these things are available to you rather than north Korea or some other hell hole that you can't escape. Life really isn't that bad it's just that modern technology makes it seem a lot worse.

:lol:

Same, although this post has cheered me up a bit.

It's a phase you'll go through. You think you know it all and the rest of the world is crazy, but as you get even older, you'll realise you were always wrong, that you were just reacting in your own sphere of influence, and as a product of the society you were surrounded by, and you'll recognise the important things in life, whilst understanding the futility of it all, and why people behaved like they did, and then you'll die.

If you derive your view of how good/bad the world is from what you see on the news or read in the paper, then it is very easy to conclude that the world is just sh!t and life is meaningless. I had to have two months off work earlier this year due to stress, and the best thing I did for myself while I was recovering was I stopped reading and watching the news completely. I can't begin to describe to you how much happier this made me.

But seriously, I suggest you consider the possibility that you might be suffering from depression, because from what you have described it sounds quite likely. It's worth checking out IMO.

I hear you loud and clear.

I miss the ignorant days of my early 20's when I felt I knew better, had a clearer vision of everything right and wrong in the world and felt truly optimistic about making a mark.

Now, the more I've learned the more murky and clouded things become.

Jaded is probably the best word.

Edited by Colinjb

Not being rude but you do come across as quite arrogant, it seems to me like you can't accept other peoples opinions, I have friends who's opinions I don't agree with, but I don't find myself thinking they're morons.

I also don't picture myself as more experienced or have better understanding of the world than other people, just because they don't agree with me on Brexit or Trump.

I think you'd find that life would be a lot better if you just accepted other people don't all think the same way as you, doesn't make them wrong, just makes them different.

I'm 29 and whilst some things are worse, others get better.

For example I used to go into a bar, see some hot girl all dressed up, think I was in love, then go home and have an angry w*nk when it became apparent she was interested. Now when I see people like that I generally think, 'yeah she's hot but I bet she's boring as f**k to talk to after about 20 minutes.'

Regarding work, I recently quit a well paid career I simply wasn't happy with. A lot of people would stick it out but the fact of the matter is that no amount of money would make me enjoy that job.

I stay in semi regular contact with about 3 people I knew at school. Facebook became a thing a few months after I graduated and I pretty much just added everyone I knew. I've since deleted half of them when I decided they were pretty much just a bunch of t*ssers and I never actually liked them anyway, I just wanted to appear more popular when I was at school.

Some people on this forum are trolls, some are just plain stupid. I tend to ignore them and focus on the people who are quite clearly more informed than me on certain subjects. I particularly enjoy the well constructed arguments I strongly disagree with, as they offer an enlightening view on some subjects.

Some people do annoy me with their hysterics, more in real life as I tend to ignore the divas on this forum. If you listen to some people, the world is in a worse shape that it has ever been. Is it really though? Away from the media, has Trump or Brexit actually done anything which directly hurts you? There will be effects no doubt but nothing which is going to put anyone on the streets.

If you want to feel positive about the world, read science and technology journals. There's some truly incredible stuff going on out there. For the first time ever, cancer survival rates have eclipsed fatalities and that is far more likely to harm you than any American president or European bureaucrat.

I'm starting to sound like that song, Sunscreen. :?

Edited by Lighthouse

I do feel like I'm part of a generation of know it alls. We've been screwed over in a variety of ways, especially from the state, but a lot of my age group seem to have a chip on our shoulders about nonsense.

Trump and Brexit - wouldn't and didn't vote for either, but enough did to perhaps suggest their right and I'm wrong? I always find a bit of humility goes a long way.

Oh and FWIW, I agree with Bexy; you genuinely sound depressed.

I would recommend trying some volunteering or activism for causes which are close to your heart. Gives you a chance to make like-minded new friends whilst doing something rewarding. There will definitely be a lot of people out there who share your view of the world, just a matter of finding them.

I felt very similar a few years ago, but have probably never been happier with my life than I am right now so don’t give up hope. Don’t be afraid to make big changes and never feel obligated to keep people in your life who adversely effect your mental health. Oh and I’m 30 next month, so you’re still a baby really. ;)

Best of luck!

I know the days are getting shorter but the depression posts are normally after Xmas. I guess our impotent streak up front may be a factor.

Reminds me of this classic thread: https://www.saintsweb.co.uk/showthread.php?27232-Is-Life-Really-All-That&highlight=Personal+growth#.WeEExKDTXqA

Watch out, Turkish will be along in a bit.

Perhaps the OP should give skiing or snowboarding a go. I don't suffer from depression but I certainly find a couple of trips to the Alps in late January and early March give me a boost in the post Xmas/NY period of the year.

I would recommend trying some volunteering or activism for causes which are close to your heart. Gives you a chance to make like-minded new friends whilst doing something rewarding. There will definitely be a lot of people out there who share your view of the world, just a matter of finding them.

I felt very similar a few years ago, but have probably never been happier with my life than I am right now so don’t give up hope. Don’t be afraid to make big changes and never feel obligated to keep people in your life who adversely effect your mental health. Oh and I’m 30 next month, so you’re still a baby really. ;)

Best of luck!

Get a bike, take up cycling! Seriously though I hope things improve for you. Been there with my daughter and latterly with myself. Fell into a negativity trap and stayed there too long. I'm 60 in a few weeks, now professionally semi-retired, but coming out of the trap and beginning to realise how good things are.

Edited by Winnersaint

OP says he runs a successful business. You don’t need to be a millionaire to go skiing for a week, some places like Andorra and Bulgaria are pretty cheap.

Fair enough. I agree by the way, would be a good way of getting out of the doldrums. Scuba diving in Egypt.

Screw it. Sounds to me that he's reached point where you have to impregnate the missus.

I do feel like I'm part of a generation of know it alls. We've been screwed over in a variety of ways, especially from the state, but a lot of my age group seem to have a chip on our shoulders about nonsense.

Trump and Brexit - wouldn't and didn't vote for either, but enough did to perhaps suggest their right and I'm wrong? I always find a bit of humility goes a long way.

Oh and FWIW, I agree with Bexy; you genuinely sound depressed.

I assume you didn’t have an opportunity to vote for Trump? And guess By same logic you’d humbly accept the rise of the nazis in 30s Germany as well?

Those that say don’t worry about Trump are the sort of apathetic people who don’t worry about many things. Being blissfully ignorant is fine but you have to be disposed to be blissfully ignorant. Like glibly telling a depressed person to smile and not think too much and thinking that might be helpful advice.

Trump’s rise is a tragic story that doesn’t personally affect me but is a depressing indictment on society’s apparently changing views albeit in another country.

Edited by whelk

At 28 you should still have some zip. Statistically men in mid 40s are at their unhappiest based on realising life is unlikely to change dramatically but you need to stick it out for a lot longer until you are at age where you may be able to pick up new dreams or ambitions to achieve in retirement. Often it is the time of life when kids are grown up past their daddy is my hero stage so don’t feel so needed there either. So cheer up mate it is going to get worse[emoji3]

Edited by whelk

Exactly this

Thanks for recognising it for what it was. We all have dreams, aspirations and ideas, just like all the people he feels "above" .....however, there is a kind of peace and respect for others that comes with the realisation that we are all in this together.

I'm way too guilty of pre-judging people based on what they seem to be not, rather than what they may be. ...i would prefer that we were measured by the quality of our dreams and aspirations rather than whether or not we achieved them. And we rarely get to know that side of them.

Edited by Ohio Saint

I'm 50. Been to war, been to prison, had cancer, lost a professional career risen & to the top in a related one.

I've cut out all the negative/right wing people in my life, including people I've known since we were kids or was in the forces with and done it without remorse. I'm left with people I know, trust and can relate to.

I ride a bike. I ride it long and hard 52 weeks of a year. I ride big distances and fast short distances, I ride in Europe, I ride in the UK, I race, I win & I lose and I love it. It brings freedom, pain and a glow of satisfaction.

I kiss my kids every morning and every evening before bed and let them know how much I love them at every opportunity. I watch them play football, cricket and compete at showjumping every chance I get.

With my wife, we've been ridiculously happy for just shy of 30 years, we travel far and wide at every opportunity with and without the kids.

I go to countless away games with my lad and usually I don't give a toss about the result, spending the day with my lad is all that really matters.

I fu_cking love life.

I'm 50. Been to war, been to prison, had cancer, lost a professional career risen & to the top in a related one.

I've cut out all the negative/right wing people in my life, including people I've known since we were kids or was in the forces with and done it without remorse. I'm left with people I know, trust and can relate to.

I ride a bike. I ride it long and hard 52 weeks of a year. I ride big distances and fast short distances, I ride in Europe, I ride in the UK, I race, I win & I lose and I love it. It brings freedom, pain and a glow of satisfaction.

I kiss my kids every morning and every evening before bed and let them know how much I love them at every opportunity. I watch them play football, cricket and compete at showjumping every chance I get.

With my wife, we've been ridiculously happy for just shy of 30 years, we travel far and wide at every opportunity with and without the kids.

I go to countless away games with my lad and usually I don't give a toss about the result, spending the day with my lad is all that really matters.

I fu_cking love life.

You can be short and rude in your post sometimes fella, but that’s stand and up and applaud territory.

Two things stand out here. One, you are an arrogant c*nt with a massive sense of self importance. That fact that you find everyone else's opinion "moronic" says more about you than it does about them. F*ck me! even you're parents don't escape your deluded, haughty chagrin. You feel so much more experience and knowledgable, f*ck me you're 27! You never leave the house, so you gained this experience from your twitter feed right? Who gives a sh*t if your dad has different political views to you? Who gives a sh*t if your mum is away with the fairies. My mum drove me nuts ringing me up because she couldn't work out how qto send a text or on her phone, my dad drove me nuts because he couldn't get sky sports to work, week after week. Both my parents are dead now, dead after both battling long illnesses, Alzheimer's and cancer respectively. What I'd give to get the chance to pop round to show her how to send a text just one more time, or watch a game with my dad, with the both happy and healthy. They are the best friends you'll ever have, treat them with the respect they deserve.

You say you have people working for you you can barely tolerate? Here's news, they feel exactly the same about you. The ignorant, arrogant c*nt of a boss who is so far up his own arse he can chew his own spine! they think you're a pr*ck as well mate and I can see why. They hate working for you.

Secondly the fact that you can't find anything interesting in your life suggests that as well as being arrogant and self important you're also a boring c*nt. Ever heard the saying only boring people get bored? Look I the mirror pal, right back at you. What do you do sit in with your equally boring bird/boyfriend watching sh*t on the telly sorry you're alive? How was strictly tonight? The fact that you've chosen to share your self pity with on a football forum with a load of people you don't know shows in fact, despite What you say about your parents you're the one so for removed from reality, no mates to take the p*ss our of you for being such an arrogant, obnoxious, miserable, ungrateful turd and bring you back to earth?

I'm not going to boast about how great my life is, I'll leave that to others, but we have, you have a better quality of life than 90% of the world, you need to start being grateful for what you have and stop thinking you're better than you are.

Two things stand out here. One, you are an arrogant c*nt with a massive sense of self importance. That fact that you find everyone else's opinion "moronic" says more about you than it does about them. F*ck me! even you're parents don't escape your deluded, haughty chagrin. You feel so much more experience and knowledgable, f*ck me you're 27! You never leave the house, so you gained this experience from your twitter feed right? Who gives a sh*t if your dad has different political views to you? Who gives a sh*t if your mum is away with the fairies. My mum drove me nuts ringing me up because she couldn't work out how qto send a text or on her phone, my dad drove me nuts because he couldn't get sky sports to work, week after week. Both my parents are dead now, dead after both battling long illnesses, Alzheimer's and cancer respectively. What I'd give to get the chance to pop round to show her how to send a text just one more time, or watch a game with my dad, with the both happy and healthy. They are the best friends you'll ever have, treat them with the respect they deserve.

You say you have people working for you you can barely tolerate? Here's news, they feel exactly the same about you. The ignorant, arrogant c*nt of a boss who is so far up his own arse he can chew his own spine! they think you're a pr*ck as well mate and I can see why. They hate working for you.

Secondly the fact that you can't find anything interesting in your life suggests that as well as being arrogant and self important you're also a boring c*nt. Ever heard the saying only boring people get bored? Look I the mirror pal, right back at you. What do you do sit in with your equally boring bird/boyfriend watching sh*t on the telly sorry you're alive? How was strictly tonight? The fact that you've chosen to share your self pity with on a football forum with a load of people you don't know shows in fact, despite What you say about your parents you're the one so for removed from reality, no mates to take the p*ss our of you for being such an arrogant, obnoxious, miserable, ungrateful turd and bring you back to earth?

I'm not going to boast about how great my life is, I'll leave that to others, but we have, you have a better quality of life than 90% of the world, you need to start being grateful for what you have and stop thinking you're better than you are.

Note to the OP; that's turks in heartfelt sympathy mode. You're lucky he didn't decide to have a go at you.

Very simplistic to say we have better quality of life than most others so should be more content,. I use it on kids all the time though.

Oliver James’s Britain on the couch stat that a woman in her twenties is five times more likely to be depressed than their grandmother’s generation. Consumerism is not the same as contentedness.

Villages in India can have incredible community spirit which compensate for not having a 55inch tv, Spotify integrated with their BMW and incessant highlight reels of their friends’lives coming in from Facebook or whatever. Easy to romanticise that simpler life of course but having the freedom we all have in Britain nowadays doesn’t help many who better suited to not having to make so many choices when life was more mapped out ie you went down t’pit and went to football and the pub.

There are many like OP who are lost and can’t find answers though. Now he’s discovered the joyful Saintsweb life should pick up as he realise he has so many sympathetic comrades.

Very simplistic to say we have better quality of life than most others so should be more content,. I use it on kids all the time though.

Oliver James’s Britain on the couch stat that a woman in her twenties is five times more likely to be depressed than their grandmother’s generation. Consumerism is not the same as contentedness.

Villages in India can have incredible community spirit which compensate for not having a 55inch tv, Spotify integrated with their BMW and incessant highlight reels of their friends’lives coming in from Facebook or whatever. Easy to romanticise that simpler life of course but having the freedom we all have in Britain nowadays doesn’t help many who better suited to not having to make so many choices when life was more mapped out ie you went down t’pit and went to football and the pub.

There are many like OP who are lost and can’t find answers though. Now he’s discovered the joyful Saintsweb life should pick up as he realise he has so many sympathetic comrades.

This (minus the weird last sentence; the OP might take it seriously and fall among the Lounge plankdom). Just got back from an extended whirl around Orangi Town (google it), so seeing this thread now I'm back is a bit of a head snap.

Thanks guys.

I don't consider myself arrogant. I've had a lot of life experience, lived in different countries, worked with a wide range of different people and been through a lot of nice stuff as well as traumatising stuff. I've lost two siblings and beyond that my family has been through a lot. If you met me I don't think you'd consider me arrogant but think what you want when you've only read one post I've made on an internet forum - I make a real effort with everyone I meet and treat the people who work for me very well - it's just what goes on in my head leaves me in a very different place.

I think my biggest concern is for mankind - I feel so shocked at how humans treat each other that I've lost all respect for them. I was brought up to treat people how you would like to be treated which I've always done. I've had more time wasted by people who have taken advantage of me being caring towards them than you could imagine. I am a realist and unfortunately that seems to have led me into a depressed state. Radical change sounds good and I'm lucky to be able to go and live anywhere and do anything, but at the moment I lack any desire to do anything so it's hard to decide what radical changes to make!

I think the best thing for me to do is to try and find another type of work to do on the side which will feel more rewarding - like people have said, some volunteer work. I love animals so much more than people so maybe I'll turn my house into a guinea pig asylum or something.

Thanks Whelk. I think you get it. I was pushed by my parents (rightfully so) to work hard and achieve as much as I could. I focused everything on business and now that I've reached a point of success I realise that I'm not as money motivated as I thought I was. I would agree - I've been consumerised (probably a newly invented word) and now need to find something more purposeful for my life. I was in the police for a year when I was young and enjoyed it but the money was **** so I left. Everyone I know says this was the best decision I ever made but actually now I wonder if it was. I think there's a lot to be said about having a career in something with such vast scope for progression.

Thanks Whelk. I think you get it. I was pushed by my parents (rightfully so) to work hard and achieve as much as I could. I focused everything on business and now that I've reached a point of success I realise that I'm not as money motivated as I thought I was. I would agree - I've been consumerised (probably a newly invented word) and now need to find something more purposeful for my life. I was in the police for a year when I was young and enjoyed it but the money was **** so I left. Everyone I know says this was the best decision I ever made but actually now I wonder if it was. I think there's a lot to be said about having a career in something with such vast scope for progression.

The problem is nowadays people tend to confuse success/ambition with the amount of money they can grab for themselves.

:lol:

I'm 30. Go out with friends a lot and see family often. I don't like my job though and find watching saints tedious. So tedious I couldn't even be bothered to go yesterday.

Likewise, although I'd say that was more a reflection on Saints than the mental health of anyone who posts on here. If I wanted to watch a bunch of men jogging, I could do it at Netley Park free on a Sunday morning.

I assume you didn’t have an opportunity to vote for Trump? And guess By same logic you’d humbly accept the rise of the nazis in 30s Germany as well?

Those that say don’t worry about Trump are the sort of apathetic people who don’t worry about many things. Being blissfully ignorant is fine but you have to be disposed to be blissfully ignorant. Like glibly telling a depressed person to smile and not think too much and thinking that might be helpful advice.

Trump’s rise is a tragic story that doesn’t personally affect me but is a depressing indictment on society’s apparently changing views albeit in another country.

Oh dear Whelk. You were quick to give me grief about mentioning the Nazis on the terrorism thread yet you manage to shoe horn a mention about them in a thread where someone is going through a mid life crisis in his twenties! As our American friends would say, "Way to go."

leave strictly out of this.

I've tried re-reading the original post since the updates by to OP.

I'm sorry, but I see nothing new in it even with the extra info.

I still see nothing more than the youthful arrogance that most of have at that age. Life experience like living overseas does nothing except giving you a broader view rather than a narrowing one. At 27, I also had a business after returning to England from living in South Africa, then went onto living in France for a few years, and now the US. It's not magic, you get what you take from it, if anything at all......I honestly think that it's not those around you that are lacking, it's the life experience you can only gain from living longer. It's not something you can do in 27 years.

Oh dear Whelk. You were quick to give me grief about mentioning the Nazis on the terrorism thread yet you manage to shoe horn a mention about them in a thread where someone is going through a mid life crisis in his twenties! As our American friends would say, "Way to go."

Do you think Muslims have mid life crises?

at the moment I lack any desire to do anything

This is a classic sign of clinical depression.

You can go and see your GP about this is if you want to, but with the current wait times for mental health issues, you might be waiting a long time for any kind of assessment, and even longer for any kind of treatment. In a lot of cases, the GP will look to just prescribe some anti-depressants and get you out the door again. Now this might work for a lot of people, but it isn't right for everyone and can lead to lots of other problems as trying to come off them again can prove very difficult and produce symptoms which are often worse than the ones they were originally prescribed for.

If you don't want to go down this route immediately then you can try changing your lifestyle first. Do you get a lot of exercise? Just being active a couple of times a week can really help to improve seratonin production and make a big difference. I would suggest, if you don't already, that you try going for long country walks or bike rides. Study after study has shown that regular exercise and connection with nature are excellent natural anti-depressants.

If you already do these things then maybe take up a new hobby, or join some kind of groups where you get to meet and spend time with people who do share your interests and opinions, rather than the ones who you say you have nothing in common with. Just being around like-minded people will make you feel much better than feeling separated from those who you struggle to connect with any more.