Pellegrino OUT

Batman

That's a pretty fantastic article!

Indeed. Shurlock mentioned him in the 'Next manager' thread actually. I knew he had done a brilliant job but didn't realise quite how impressive!

I guess there's always the question mark of how well his experience and ability would translate to a Premier League club with players who seemingly pick and choose who they want to play for, but I'd certainly rather take a chance on Potter than some of the other suggestions being thrown up on that other thread.

This is the man....

Emotional intelligence is critical. If you lack this you cannot ‘Manage’ as you will be of a personality that misses other vital detail in both personal skills and tactics....

This one reason why Nigel Adkins was successful with us and the exceptional brothers at Lincoln Cite are doing well...

Many football Managers are just so unaware of the facts right in front of their eyes...

We're not that bad yet. When we start getting cringeworthy open letters to the club on here and in the echo along with a new fans group and a power struggle between 3 or 4 attention seeking figures then we know we're in it up to our necks.

So at best we are mediocre at this moment in time and have you seen the next few games coming up?...............now in the international break it would be the ideal time to get a new manager and coaching team in .Or things from up above seem to look ok ?...........dunno but at this moment we lack any leadership about the football club on and off the field.

I completely agree but he won't be given a chance in the Premier League. The same with Bob Bradley and other appointments considered experiments.

Poch was and still is a complete one off.

Bob Bradley was given a chance in the Premier League.

At least 2 of which Fraser should have kept out

The first definitely, the other two not a chance. But what's your point? Fraser was a member of our team and our team lost. Why select him for criticism, there were others who made mistakes. Stephens for going walkabout and not marking his man, Bertrand for running offside and confusing the assistant? Overall we weren't quite good enough.

But we are wandering way off topic here. If we are going to give Puel any credit for reaching Wembley then he also has to take the blame for wimping out of Europe and the FA Cup. They have to be considered as a whole.

It is certainly a persuasive cv

It would be hard to be worse than Pellegrino’s. 5 years of achieving next to nothing then getting to a cup final (winning four games). You could write a long long list of ****e managers who’ve managed to fluke their way to a cup final, I’m not sure what Les saw in his CV that made him stand out as something special.

It would be hard to be worse than Pellegrino’s. 5 years of achieving next to nothing then getting to a cup final (winning four games). You could write a long long list of ****e managers who’ve managed to fluke their way to a cup final, I’m not sure what Les saw in his CV that made him stand out as something special.

Exactly. He was always a risky appointment, the hope I had was that Balague raves about him. His CV is significantly worse than Puel’s do not clear how he was going to be an upgrade. His Alaves team also struggled to score which was the problem he was appointed to address. Very odd one from Big Les.

The first definitely, the other two not a chance. But what's your point? Fraser was a member of our team and our team lost. Why select him for criticism, there were others who made mistakes. Stephens for going walkabout and not marking his man, Bertrand for running offside and confusing the assistant? Overall we weren't quite good enough.

But we are wandering way off topic here. If we are going to give Puel any credit for reaching Wembley then he also has to take the blame for wimping out of Europe and the FA Cup. They have to be considered as a whole.

Whitey you seem to focus on the result of the final. What about the glorious away wins at Arsenal and Liverpool, five clean sheets against PL opposition, in getting to Wembley in the first place. Any crumbles of credit for that?

easy.....

Out of contract - Yes

Happy to let Les / Ross / Scouting team pick transfers in and out of the club - Yes

Play ‘the southampton way’ (possession based football) - Yes

Cheap appointment - Probably

As many have said, it’s amazing how our first choice / top target is consistently out of contract

easy.....

Out of contract - Yes

Happy to let Les / Ross / Scouting team pick transfers in and out of the club - Yes

As many have said, it’s amazing how our first choice / top target is consistently out of contract

You are probably right, I expect after Koeman he just wanted a yes man. With such an average CV you have to wonder how much long he will be given.

easy.....

Out of contract - Yes

This is probably why we won't sack Pellegrino mid season, unless we really are out of form and in big trouble. I imagine our likely targets will be at a club.

But also you have to consider that perhaps our targets don't want to leave their clubs mid season either.

Interesting take on things

Sacking your manager is pointless and a result of bad luck and the stats prove it

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/sport/news/sacking-your-manager-is-pointless-and-a-result-of-bad-luck-and-the-stats-prove-it/ar-BBEKDJR?ocid=spartandhp

I particularly LOL at this

90 per cent of drivers believe they are above average: humans are not very good at realistic self-assessment. This illusory superiority permeates football too: owners and fans are often incapable of seeing where their team really stands, rather than where they would like it to. The sobering truth is that, as Soccernomics shows, there is a 90 per cent correlation between teams’ wages and their results.

The gift that keeps on giving.

'Sam Allardyce should be the next Southampton FC manager'

http://www.dailyecho.co.uk/sport/saints/news/15653106.READER_LETTER__Saints__enough_is_enough___go_and_get_Sam_Allardyce/?ref=rss

"I never thought to hear myself say this but go and get Sam Allardyce before it’s too late. At least he will steady the ship because, make no mistake, we are heading for the bottom three, with our only hope that there will be three teams worse than us at the end of the season."

:lol::lol::lol:

The above scenario is 2005 relegation all over again.

You are probably right, I expect after Koeman he just wanted a yes man. With such an average CV you have to wonder how much longer he will be given.

Les Reed or Pellegrino? :lol:

Senior career*

Years Team Apps (Gls)

19??–19?? Cambridge United 0 (0)

19??–19?? Watford 0 (0)

19??–19?? Wycombe Wanderers 0 (0)

Playing career

Reed was on the books as a football player for Cambridge United, Watford, and Wycombe Wanderers as a centre forward, but did not play any League matches for any of the three clubs.

The FA and England

In 2002 Reed replaced Howard Wilkinson as the FA's Technical Director. During his second spell at the FA he authored the FA's official coaching manual, The Official FA Guide to Basic Team Coaching, but he was sacked by the FA in 2004.

Teams managed

2006 Charlton Athletic

During his six-week spell as manager Reed managed just one victory, and Charlton were knocked out of the League Cup by Football League Two side Wycombe Wanderers. Reed's spell at Charlton became infamous, as the media attacked him frequently, nicknaming him "Les Misérables" and "Santa Clueless"and he was later voted in an unofficial online poll "the worst manager of all time"

Managerial stats

Team Nat From To Record

G W L D Win %

Charlton Athletic England 14 November 2006 24 December 2006 7 1 5 1 14.28%

The gift that keeps on giving.

'Sam Allardyce should be the next Southampton FC manager'

http://www.dailyecho.co.uk/sport/saints/news/15653106.READER_LETTER__Saints__enough_is_enough___go_and_get_Sam_Allardyce/?ref=rss

"I never thought to hear myself say this but go and get Sam Allardyce before it’s too late. At least he will steady the ship because, make no mistake, we are heading for the bottom three, with our only hope that there will be three teams worse than us at the end of the season."

:lol::lol::lol:

The above scenario is 2005 relegation all over again.

Yeah, read this this morning. Absolutely wonderful stuff. He'll make us defensively solid - the one thing we are already?

I think January will be illuminatory - reports of us being linked with Walcott / Shaw etc in Jan. Likely just paper talk, but might indicate the 'Gao effect' in terms of both increased finance for wages and approach /strategy. We'll see. We'll have to buy a forward player, preferably 2.

What do we then do with squad size?

even BFS would be an upgrade right now. The only worse choice than what we have is maybe unsworth, anyone else I could get quite excited about. Maybe Les should take over himself, even that I could get behind. just anyone, anyone at all, who will play a team and tell them to take some risks, this safety first football is just horrible. i'm getting to a point where i'd even enjoy a 4-0 loss more than our current 1-0,0-0,0-1 games, just to see some attacking football on the pitch.

maybe it will get better now we are playing some better quality sides.

Yeah, read this this morning. Absolutely wonderful stuff. He'll make us defensively solid - the one thing we are already?

I think January will be illuminatory - reports of us being linked with Walcott / Shaw etc in Jan. Likely just paper talk, but might indicate the 'Gao effect' in terms of both increased finance for wages and approach /strategy. We'll see. We'll have to buy a forward player, preferably 2.

What do we then do with squad size?

Yeah that's not a thing

He is looking for a nice cushy international managers job to enjoy semi retirement in. Why people think he wants to get back into a high pressure PL job I don't know.

is that a fact is it? no paper or BFS spin to get a club who have shown interest to come forward?

is that a fact is it? no paper or BFS spin to get a club who have shown interest to come forward?

From the horses mouth

Allardyce's five-month tenure at Crystal Palace ended in May, with the 62-year-old citing the demands of club coaching as a factor.

And while the former Bolton, Blackburn and Newcastle boss has no appetite for another club job, he has not retired.

"If I have to consider anything, it would have to be an international position," he told Talksport.

"It is less demanding than the Premier League [in which] the tension and the pressure is huge.

"When you are on international duty, it is all focused on you, but of course after that months go by before you meet up again, so that would maybe suit me, if I am enticed back into the game."

http://m.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/40653075

Of course if Man City or Chelsea come calling he might change his mind.

From the horses mouth

Allardyce's five-month tenure at Crystal Palace ended in May, with the 62-year-old citing the demands of club coaching as a factor.

And while the former Bolton, Blackburn and Newcastle boss has no appetite for another club job, he has not retired.

"If I have to consider anything, it would have to be an international position," he told Talksport.

"It is less demanding than the Premier League [in which] the tension and the pressure is huge.

"When you are on international duty, it is all focused on you, but of course after that months go by before you meet up again, so that would maybe suit me, if I am enticed back into the game."

http://m.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/40653075

Of course if Man City or Chelsea come calling he might change his mind.

He has unfinished business at Real Madrid.

Les Reed or Pellegrino? :lol:

Senior career*

Years Team Apps (Gls)

19??–19?? Cambridge United 0 (0)

19??–19?? Watford 0 (0)

19??–19?? Wycombe Wanderers 0 (0)

Playing career

Reed was on the books as a football player for Cambridge United, Watford, and Wycombe Wanderers as a centre forward, but did not play any League matches for any of the three clubs.

The FA and England

In 2002 Reed replaced Howard Wilkinson as the FA's Technical Director. During his second spell at the FA he authored the FA's official coaching manual, The Official FA Guide to Basic Team Coaching, but he was sacked by the FA in 2004.

Teams managed

2006 Charlton Athletic

During his six-week spell as manager Reed managed just one victory, and Charlton were knocked out of the League Cup by Football League Two side Wycombe Wanderers. Reed's spell at Charlton became infamous, as the media attacked him frequently, nicknaming him "Les Misérables" and "Santa Clueless"and he was later voted in an unofficial online poll "the worst manager of all time"

Managerial stats

Team Nat From To Record

G W L D Win %

Charlton Athletic England 14 November 2006 24 December 2006 7 1 5 1 14.28%

Good job he’s not playing or managing us then

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

even BFS would be an upgrade right now. The only worse choice than what we have is maybe unsworth, anyone else I could get quite excited about. Maybe Les should take over himself, even that I could get behind. just anyone, anyone at all, who will play a team and tell them to take some risks, this safety first football is just horrible. i'm getting to a point where i'd even enjoy a 4-0 loss more than our current 1-0,0-0,0-1 games, just to see some attacking football on the pitch.

maybe it will get better now we are playing some better quality sides.

With Liverpool, City and Spurs coming up, and FF in goal, it looks like you have some enjoyable matches to look forward to.

Board meeting today apparently....

Footballing style must change or Mr Pellegrino is gone.

He is on thin ice are the words spoken.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

history repeating

it is quite obvious MP is way beyond out of his depth in the premier league

Edited by Batman

Nice thought that there may be a change of direction from what we've mostly 'suffered' in recent seasons but can't help feeling, is this the best moment. The dull, cautious approach that we have been using (against the mighty Watfords, Brightons, Burnleys of this world) may very well be far more suited to the likes of what we've coming coming up over the next several weeks.

I'm all for giving Pellegrino time, he at least deserves a Jan transfer window, but a change in playing style is long over due, just hope our defensive unit holds strong if we're planning on being a bit more adventurous. When's Lemina back? :preyingthingymajig:

Need to tell that to the head coach Mr Black imo, he's the one who has coincided with our **** defensive style !