Pellegrino OUT

Batman

On the whole I tend to agree with you. We know that Lemina was injured but what happened to Hoedt after Brighton? I don't think that he would have allowed Vokes that header.

Hoedt would play for me, but it's a tough call as Yoshida is one of the few in our team who actually give a **** these days.

Successive managers have been undermined by player sales and second rate replacements like Redmond. However, the negative back passing and square balls with no end product is down to the coaching team. I think our new owners won't put up with a relegation fight and will sack the manager if we are in trouble in January. I hope he sacks Les as well. This is a very ordinary league this year so hopefully we can buy our way out of trouble with a fresh start at coaching level. Make no mistake £200 million is too much to loose for a new owner.

Hoedt would play for me, but it's a tough call as Yoshida is one of the few in our team who actually give a **** these days.

Agree - you could see that he was gutted to lose the header. Those saying that Wesley would've got to it, I'm not so sure, Maya's not been done by much, he is in and around his man, perhaps needed to lean into him more, I don't overly blame him though - fine margins.

He`s going to pass back to keep possession ;)

I was hoping some of the ITK would be able to shed some light....

I think the more Premier managers that get the boot - the easier it becomes to pull the trigger. Problem is, who do you get to take over - you need the right man lined up ready to go. Some of the names mentioned on this thread are just frightening and others pure folly. Unless they have a gem in the bag I would stick for now.

I think the more Premier managers that get the boot - the easier it becomes to pull the trigger. Problem is, who do you get to take over - you need the right man lined up ready to go. Some of the names mentioned on this thread are just frightening and others pure folly. Unless they have a gem in the bag I would stick for now.

I agree

Sacking managers frequently will do little for the club's ability to recruit in the future. Theories abound but I am not sure we, any of us, really know what the root cause of the malaise of this seaon and last, is. What will concentrate minds is if supporters stay away in droves. Those in authority will soon react at the sight of swathes of empty seats on either live or highlight television.

As unhappy as I am with Pellegrino, this just about sums it up for me.

I've been watching this forum afar over the last few weeks, as it's predictably been a bit of an 'out' fest.

I used to look at Sunderland and even Villa and the frequency at which they changed their managers and thought it was crazy and not helping things, all of their managers had a very similar result. They were always struggling. I really do not want us to get into this horrific cycle by changing a manager every 6 months as it isn't right, when it gets to that stage you really need to look beyond the manager and what else is wrong.

I really can't see the club removing MP and I don't believe they should. For me, the statements we tried to make in the summer have backfired on us. We've managed to keep our sought after players, but unfortunately they are seemingly polluting the air a little bit around the place. Sometimes it's not always the right thing to keep hold of players who seemingly want to go, sometimes you just need to accept it, take the money, move on and get in players who actually want to be part of it.

Generally speaking, the reactions on Saturday were more from a culmination of the season as opposed to that game in isolation. In isolation we didn't play badly on Saturday, we've played a lot worse this season - but the frustration from previous weeks will just increase the negativity.

We're currently a team without an identity, we're kind of lost in between styles. We're lacking a superstar in this team, they're all much of a muchness (Tadic/Redmond etc). Replacing Mane was always going to be impossible, but we certainly shouldn't have sold 60% of our goals in a single transfer window. For me, that's where our issues started.

We have improved the midfield with Lemina and we have improved the defense with Hoedt, but we now need to see significant investment in the final third. It doesn't matter who the manager is, we have a poor mix of players in the final third and until we address that anyone would struggle to get this team balanced in the final third.

So, I don't think he should go, I think it's very reactionary to say as much - he's only been here 5 mins. If we get caught in the loop of constantly changing managers without addressing the core issues, we're going to get ourselves in an irreversible slide.

I have thought the same about retaining players who don't want to be here. They really look like they don't, which drags morale down. It's a product of the spoilt brat nature of modern football. Which is why I'd at put a bit of youth in the team. Gallagher and Stephens. Even JWP is hungrier and cares more being a localish lad. But I would definitely admit quickly that we got it wrong about MP. He's a wet fish and even less inspiring than Puel, who now looks like Mourinho in comparison. We used to be a club that was known for its attacking football. It was attractive. Sure, we'd lose a few, but we would really give the big boys a go. Now it is so dreary, encapsulated by that useless lunk between the sticks.

A sensible CEO doesn't sack a manager without having lined up a better replacement.

A sensible owner would be taking soundings to see if there was a better manager available in the New Year if results don't improve.

If relegation looks a definite threat then we should try to go for Big Sam as a short term measure.

Does a sensible CEO sack a manager who took the club to 8th place and a cup-final, even if the football was pretty turgid at times?

A sensible CEO doesn't sack a manager without having lined up a better replacement.

A sensible owner would be taking soundings to see if there was a better manager available in the New Year if results don't improve.

If relegation looks a definite threat then we should try to go for Big Sam as a short term measure.

Does a sensible CEO sack a manager who took the club to 8th place and a cup-final, even if the football was pretty turgid at times?

Why this obsession with 8th place? What did we win for coming 8th? We got 46 points - I'll say that again - 46 points, only two points above Stoke in 13th place. As for the cup final, we lost it, end of.

That was not a great season by any measure.

I've been watching this forum afar over the last few weeks, as it's predictably been a bit of an 'out' fest.

I used to look at Sunderland and even Villa and the frequency at which they changed their managers and thought it was crazy and not helping things, all of their managers had a very similar result. They were always struggling. I really do not want us to get into this horrific cycle by changing a manager every 6 months as it isn't right, when it gets to that stage you really need to look beyond the manager and what else is wrong.

I really can't see the club removing MP and I don't believe they should. For me, the statements we tried to make in the summer have backfired on us. We've managed to keep our sought after players, but unfortunately they are seemingly polluting the air a little bit around the place. Sometimes it's not always the right thing to keep hold of players who seemingly want to go, sometimes you just need to accept it, take the money, move on and get in players who actually want to be part of it.

Generally speaking, the reactions on Saturday were more from a culmination of the season as opposed to that game in isolation. In isolation we didn't play badly on Saturday, we've played a lot worse this season - but the frustration from previous weeks will just increase the negativity.

We're currently a team without an identity, we're kind of lost in between styles. We're lacking a superstar in this team, they're all much of a muchness (Tadic/Redmond etc). Replacing Mane was always going to be impossible, but we certainly shouldn't have sold 60% of our goals in a single transfer window. For me, that's where our issues started.

We have improved the midfield with Lemina and we have improved the defense with Hoedt, but we now need to see significant investment in the final third. It doesn't matter who the manager is, we have a poor mix of players in the final third and until we address that anyone would struggle to get this team balanced in the final third.

So, I don't think he should go, I think it's very reactionary to say as much - he's only been here 5 mins. If we get caught in the loop of constantly changing managers without addressing the core issues, we're going to get ourselves in an irreversible slide.

Great post. Few and far between nowadays.

Why this obsession with 8th place? What did we win for coming 8th? We got 46 points - I'll say that again - 46 points, only two points above Stoke in 13th place. As for the cup final, we lost it, end of.

That was not a great season by any measure.

Maybe. But it wasn't bad, either.

Maybe. But it wasn't bad, either.

Absolutely, and this season is going to be far, far worse than last season. For a start the pathetic display against Wolves has ensured there are unlikely to be any confidence boosting Cup runs and we will be a mile off 8th place this year.

Where have you been? Great summary; it,s been so apparent for so long that our defence/defensive midfield is good and our attacking players/strikers mediocre - with the possible exception of Gabbiadini and Boufal. The question I'm not so sure of is whether Pellegrini is a good enough coach/manager to get the team set up and playing better if better attacking players are found! Agree with your sentiment though that Crystal Palace style axing of Managers and Sunderland/Villa before that are slippery side reactions.

Where have you been? Great summary; it,s been so apparent for so long that our defence/defensive midfield is good and our attacking players/strikers mediocre - with the possible exception of Gabbiadini and Boufal. The question I'm not so sure of is whether Pellegrini is a good enough coach/manager to get the team set up and playing better if better attacking players are found! Agree with your sentiment though that Crystal Palace style axing of Managers and Sunderland/Villa before that are slippery side reactions.

Agree that it’s a good summary but need to be wary of consistency for the sake of consistency. It’s only worth persevering with Pellegrino if we have confidence he will turn it around. For me, he’s shown absolutely nothing to make me think we will return to being a successful, attractive side under his leadership. Whilst there are serious deficiencies in the squad, it is more than good enough to remain in the division and considerably better than some of the sides we’ve faced and dropped points against. Sometimes you need to admit you’ve made a mistake and rectify it with minimal damage. IMO that’s what we need to do here. How many were calling for stability under Gray or Wigley? It looks as though we are dealing with a similar quality manager here - keeping him represents a significant risk of being dragged in or, heaven forbid, even relegated this year something which we shouldn’t even be discussing with the squad we’ve got.

I hope I’m wrong and he turns it round as I just know Les won’t pull the plug on him until we are down the bottom post January which may mean it’s too late with all the fixtures we will have wasted.

I can’t for one second think the current board are happy with the present situation.

Going forward it can only go three ways.

(1) Pellegrino is backed with some serious investment on players come January.

(2) The board will privately look at bringing in a better manager if things don’t change.

(3) They pray a miracle may happen with Pellegrino and he turns it around.

My bet is number two and Pellegrino will go once we get a decent manager agreeing to come in as his replacement.

Our FA Cup run last year was not that great either.

So you didn't enjoy the day out at Wembley? Thought that was a waste of time? Beating Arsenal, Liverpool (twice) on the way to Wembley and being desperately unlucky not to win the Final was no great shakes?

No pleasing some people for sure.....yep, after the Cup Final it was a case of 'after the Lord Mayors show' but, quite honestly, Puel never had a chance with a large part of our fanbase. Well, I did say 'be careful what you wish for' in the summer when Pellegrino was linked (as absolutely nothing indicated he would be the type of manager Reed proclaimed) but here we are, getting worse and worse with a manager with no clue how to turn it around and with a deeply negative approach to the game (far more so than Puel in my opinion)

I can’t for one second think the current board are happy with the present situation.

Going forward it can only go three ways.

(1) Pellegrino is backed with some serious investment on players come January.

(2) The board will privately look at bringing in a better manager if things don’t change.

(3) They pray a miracle may happen with Pellegrino and he turns it around.

My bet is number two and Pellegrino will go once we get a decent manager agreeing to come in as his replacement.

(1) They won't invest heavily.

(2) They won't release another manager after a single season this time. They can say Puel was a one off but if we bin another, it suggests the club hasn't learned any lessons from the Puel episode.

(3) They will go for this. A few public statements (spin) around long term projects and Rome not built in a day.

As someone said earlier, we are unlikely to be relegated this season as there will again be three clubs worse than us. Next season we go again and hope the dice rolls in our favour.

what do you think we will achieve over the rest of the season with MP in charge? what so far, what you seen to think the performances will get better and we stay up?

The biggest worry for me is his comments about the way we played v Burnley working, and that we would continue to play that way. If he was still working to find a new formation and style of play that suited the players then I'd be more willing to keep him but I don't know how many more games of that **** I can sit through.

Sent from my SM-J330FN using Tapatalk

Some of our fan base really do not have any coaching or footballing experience, this is not all on Pellegrino, its the players like Tadic and Redmond not creating chances, back him in Jan with a quality winger and keeper and we will win more then we lose.

Tell me if Foster does not make the mistakes he has and Tadic and Redmond pick out Gabbas runs we do not have 6-7 more points.

He has to play Austin a bit more in these tough games as well.

Some of our fan base really do not have any coaching or footballing experience, this is not all on Pellegrino, its the players like Tadic and Redmond not creating chances, back him in Jan with a quality winger and keeper and we will win more then we lose.

Tell me if Foster does not make the mistakes he has and Tadic and Redmond pick out Gabbas runs we do not have 6-7 more points.

He has to play Austin a bit more in these tough games as well.

Somewhere deep down there is a player in redmond. The way he played in cup final is an example and i don't think that was a fluke. He doesn't strike me as lacking confidence as he's a gob****e on the pitch so perhaps he's suffocated by team tactics? Maybe he's just terribly inconsistent I don't know.

What I do know is we are so one dimensional it's so easy for opposition to work us out. We have no plan B no other way of playing. Sideways passing then eventually put ball out wide to full back who crosses to one player in the box. Repeat .......

Sent from my SM-A300FU using Tapatalk

100% this.

The 'changing managers regularly isn't a good idea' thing isn't much of a debate. It isn't good to change managers regularly if your'e sacking them for failure.

But that doesn't mean you should stick with a mistake. It means you should do whatever you can to avoid the mistake in the first place. We've done that well and Poch and Koeman left due to success. Changing managers because they're poached isn't as bad as new people are coming into a positive environment.

We knew what the team was about when Koeman left, played well, had an identity and knew where to improve. We didn't need someone coming in and changing it for the sake of change. It make Tadic an appalling player from the start and that killed half our creativity. We effectively lost Mane, Pelle and Tadic in one summer because of that.

So we can bemoan the culture of sacking managers, but ultimately the past or what any other club is doing is irrelevant. It comes down to 2 questions - is the manager getting the most out of the squad he has? If no, do you think he'll turn it round soon?

If it's a no to both, you have to make the change.

Changing manager every other year hasn't seemed to do Chelsea much harm !?

If Pellegrino doesn't change the way we play - he is apparently telling our attacking players to stay close to their markers WHEN WE HAVE THE BALL to limit the danger of counter attacks - he has to go. Then we can see if our players really are ineffective in the final third. I think Gabbiadini would get 20+ goals in a different side. Change the style and take some risks, or change the manager. It's the most cost effective solution.

If Pellegrino doesn't change the way we play - he is apparently telling our attacking players to stay close to their markers WHEN WE HAVE THE BALL to limit the danger of counter attacks - he has to go. Then we can see if our players really are ineffective in the final third. I think Gabbiadini would get 20+ goals in a different side. Change the style and take some risks, or change the manager. It's the most cost effective solution.

I'm not sure that was quite what Romeu was saying "While we’re attacking we have to defend and allow our attacking players to create problems but we defensively have to be ready for the counter.”

So you didn't enjoy the day out at Wembley? Thought that was a waste of time? Beating Arsenal, Liverpool (twice) on the way to Wembley and being desperately unlucky not to win the Final was no great shakes?

No pleasing some people for sure.....yep, after the Cup Final it was a case of 'after the Lord Mayors show' but, quite honestly, Puel never had a chance with a large part of our fanbase. Well, I did say 'be careful what you wish for' in the summer when Pellegrino was linked (as absolutely nothing indicated he would be the type of manager Reed proclaimed) but here we are, getting worse and worse with a manager with no clue how to turn it around and with a deeply negative approach to the game (far more so than Puel in my opinion)

Wembley was a good day out and we were comfortably beaten even if we made a go of it but I've been there plenty of times before. There are many examples of other clubs who have had similar runs and then gone on to win something. What we did was no great shakes in the grander scheme of things. If you get overexcited about that then you have very low ambitions.

But I can't ignore the bad times too. Rolling over in the FA Cup at home to Arsenal was a dismal experience and limping out of Europe was very painful.

Wembley was a good day out and we were comfortably beaten even if we made a go of it but I've been there plenty of times before. There are many examples of other clubs who have had similar runs and then gone on to win something. What we did was no great shakes in the grander scheme of things. If you get overexcited about that then you have very low ambitions.

But I can't ignore the bad times too. Rolling over in the FA Cup at home to Arsenal was a dismal experience and limping out of Europe was very painful.

I was apparently watching a different cup final, where we had a perfectly good goal disallowed, and outplayed them for much of the match.

Yeh, conceding a late winner = comfortably beaten. :rolleyes:

I'm not sure that was quite what Romeu was saying "While we’re attacking we have to defend and allow our attacking players to create problems but we defensively have to be ready for the counter.”

Sounds to me like the front three attack and no-one else is allowed to help out. No wonder theres only ever one in the box when we get the ball wide.

I was apparently watching a different cup final, where we had a perfectly good goal disallowed, and outplayed them for much of the match.

Mate we lost 3-nil, and there was the "Zlat-trick" from 'Zlatan' that everyone keeps going on about. We didn't even have a shot. Of course we were comfortably beaten.

Now if we had only lost 3-2 to a last minute goal having also hit the bar and had a perfectly good goal disallowed and being generally well on top for the second half, I'd join you in disagreeing with whitey grandad.

Mate we lost 3-nil, and there was the "Zlat-trick" from 'Zlatan' that everyone keeps going on about. We didn't even have a shot. Of course we were comfortably beaten.

Now if we had only lost 3-2 to a last minute goal having also hit the bar and had a perfectly good goal disallowed and being generally well on top for the second half, I'd join you in disagreeing with whitey grandad.

we lost. so did the managerial greats like gus poyet and malky mckay in the last couple of years

And Lawrie and WGS. No other Southampton managers since the First World War though , which is surprising seeing how easy it is.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

If we'd been at a losing league cup final during the Cortese era it would be still talked about on here like the greatest achievement in sporting history, just slightly below Jesse Owens in Munich.

Edited by CB Fry

Echo reader letter.

Saints are heading for relegation under Pellegrino

http://www.dailyecho.co.uk/news/15644858.READER_LETTER__Saints_are_heading_for_relegation_under_Pellegrino/?ref=twt&cid=dlvr.it

Featuring such gems as:

"The team formation has been crying out for two strikers up front from the start, playing 4-4-2."

"Claude Puel’s sacking was obscene to say the least. He was got rid of prematurely and I personally wish him all the success at Leicester."

"Whomever was responsible for this awful manager coming in deserves to be sacked."

"Boufal, Tadic, Redmond need to be put on the transfer list ASAP."

What a load of laughable, reactionary b*llocks :lol:

Probably why we as fans are looked upon as a whiney, ungrateful bunch. Well, maybe not to many clubs but I think some of our own fans think that about us.

The football served up by Pellegrino ISN'T bad - we just can't score. Defensively, we're exceptional. Once the forward line is sorted, we'll be OK.

Echo reader letter.

Saints are heading for relegation under Pellegrino

http://www.dailyecho.co.uk/news/15644858.READER_LETTER__Saints_are_heading_for_relegation_under_Pellegrino/?ref=twt&cid=dlvr.it

Featuring such gems as:

"The team formation has been crying out for two strikers up front from the start, playing 4-4-2."

"Claude Puel’s sacking was obscene to say the least. He was got rid of prematurely and I personally wish him all the success at Leicester."

"Whomever was responsible for this awful manager coming in deserves to be sacked."

"Boufal, Tadic, Redmond need to be put on the transfer list ASAP."

What a load of laughable, reactionary b*llocks :lol:

Probably why we as fans are looked upon as a whiney, ungrateful bunch. Well, maybe not to many clubs but I think some of our own fans think that about us.

The football served up by Pellegrino ISN'T bad - we just can't score. Defensively, we're exceptional. Once the forward line is sorted, we'll be OK.

For the defence to be exceptional we would need a keeper that can save stuff.

For the defence to be exceptional we would need a keeper that can save stuff.

That's a fair assessment. What's happened to Fraser is a huge shame. He was out-of-this-world against Arsenal on NYD 2015.

If he can sort himself out, we will push for mid-table. Sounds like a mediocre prospect but I don't think we can hope for much more this season.

We're not that bad yet. When we start getting cringeworthy open letters to the club on here and in the echo along with a new fans group and a power struggle between 3 or 4 attention seeking figures then we know we're in it up to our necks.

We're not that bad yet. When we start getting cringeworthy open letters to the club on here and in the echo along with a new fans group and a power struggle between 3 or 4 attention seeking figures then we know we're in it up to our necks.

Haha thankfully the main protagonist has come out as a Manchester Utd supporter.

Forster has made some pretty horrible errors, but the rest of the team isn't really giving him much to work with. It can't be easy knowing that a single mistake = a goal, and a goal = defeat (or at best a draw).

At the moment it's more of a single shot = goal and a goal = defeat or draw. It's a concern, we have a solid back 4 but even the best back 4 in the world can't stop average teams from having shots.

How many goals conceded this season have you not thought 'the keeper should have done better there'.

At the moment it's more of a single shot = goal and a goal = defeat or draw. It's a concern, we have a solid back 4 but even the best back 4 in the world can't stop average teams from having shots.

How many goals conceded this season have you not thought 'the keeper should have done better there'.

Pretty much all of them