Pellegrino OUT

Batman

Nice thought that there may be a change of direction from what we've mostly 'suffered' in recent seasons but can't help feeling, is this the best moment. The dull, cautious approach that we have been using (against the mighty Watfords, Brightons, Burnleys of this world) may very well be far more suited to the likes of what we've coming coming up over the next several weeks.

I'm all for giving Pellegrino time, he at least deserves a Jan transfer window, but a change in playing style is long over due, just hope our defensive unit holds strong if we're planning on being a bit more adventurous. When's Lemina back? :preyingthingymajig:

Seriously doubt a change of style is possible without changing the manager. Pellegrino doesn't need to told that it's results that matter so he must already be setting out with that objective. it hasn't worked despite the string of winnable games. We already have highly regarded players in every position so adding a couple more in January doesn't feel like the magic solution and by February relegation panic could have set in. Not easy for the board to admit they made the wrong appointment but turning things round is more important. Sooner the change is made, the more chance of stopping the rot.

Anyone who would rather we lost 4-0 than get a point or win a scrappy game is not a true Saints fan.

I'll reword it- I'd rather see us play attacking football, and lose 4-0, than see us now, losing 1-0. If we can stay up with a few good wins, I would accept some bad defeats.

Board meeting today apparently....

Footballing style must change or Mr Pellegrino is gone.

He is on thin ice are the words spoken.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

True or not, I heard that the shocking Season Ticket sales were a contributing factor in the departure of Monsieur Claude, I bet compared to last year the uptake or even enquiring interest in the half Season Tickets this year is pretty atrocious.

I know we had 2 weeks off, and 3 for our next home game, approaching, but when we walked past the ticket office after the Burnley game every window was occupied by staff, and even from the Britannia road side of the railings their body language was bored to tears, normally when we walk back to the car ,at the same time, there are always a few fans at the windows.

Out of interest what now comprises the "board" who are the decision makers.

Nice thought that there may be a change of direction from what we've mostly 'suffered' in recent seasons but can't help feeling, is this the best moment. The dull, cautious approach that we have been using (against the mighty Watfords, Brightons, Burnleys of this world) may very well be far more suited to the likes of what we've coming coming up over the next several weeks.

I'm all for giving Pellegrino time, he at least deserves a Jan transfer window, but a change in playing style is long over due, just hope our defensive unit holds strong if we're planning on being a bit more adventurous. When's Lemina back? :preyingthingymajig:

It seems that Bighead Reed had/has given Puel and Pelligrino NO say WHATSOEVER in the appropriate transfer windows. Reed picked the last TWO summer squads before the 2 managers turned up. So no change to Bighead's plans this Jan. Bugger off Reed, you cretin, ruining our club!

It seems that Bighead Reed had/has given Puel and Pelligrino NO say WHATSOEVER in the appropriate transfer windows. Reed picked the last TWO summer squads before the 2 managers turned up. So no change to Bighead's plans this Jan. Bugger off Reed, you cretin, ruining our club!

What it does seem is that you are talking total horse sh*t and usual and your weird obsession with a bloke in his 60s Which is being strung out across multi saints forums is bordering on psychotic.

When Puel was here we signed 2 players who played underneath him at his previous club, the third player, who was our record signing at the time is described here as a transfer Puel "pushed through"

http://readsouthampton.com/2016/10/28/puel-pushed-for-boufal-after-failure-to-sign-ben-arfa/

Then we move onto Pellegrino. Our now record signing was signed because He insisted that we didn't have a player of his type in the squad

http://www.skysports.com/watch/video/sports/football/11100878/pellegrino-praises-lemina

But of course this is all lies from yes men managers who are covering bumbling les's arse as they had nothing to do with any of the signings :lol:

You really should get a new hobby pal.

What it does seem is that you are talking total horse sh*t and usual and your weird obsession with a bloke in his 60s Which is being strung out across multi saints forums is bordering on psychotic.

When Puel was here we signed 2 players who played underneath him at his previous club, the third player, who was our record signing at the time is described here as a transfer Puel "pushed through"

http://readsouthampton.com/2016/10/28/puel-pushed-for-boufal-after-failure-to-sign-ben-arfa/

Then we move onto Pellegrino. Our now record signing was signed because He insisted that we didn't have a player of his type in the squad

http://www.skysports.com/watch/video/sports/football/11100878/pellegrino-praises-lemina

But of course this is all lies from yes men managers who are covering bumbling les's arse as they had nothing to do with any of the signings :lol:

You really should get a new hobby pal.

Boufal initially believed he was going to sign for Koeman who wanted him. With the new manager, it was no longer clear that this was still the case. However Puel also wanted him and having seen what Puel had done for Ben Arfa's game, Boufal was reassured and persuaded to join us.

Every man and his dog knew we needed a Lemina-type player, not least on here. You have to ask serious questions of Uncle Les if that kind of player wasn't already on the club's radar. In practice, Reed and MP were probably on the same page to begin with.

Edited by shurlock

IF this is true, why today? Why has it taken a week? What is the point in doing this now?

Is now, with matches against stronger teams coming up, the best time to change tactics? Other than switching to a different formation (3-4-1-2/5-3-2) I think not.

If MP was going to be given the boot it should have happened at least 6 days ago, giving us a week (at most) to bring in his replacement and (at least) a week for that guy to prepare for the Liverpool match.

Might be co-incidence but wondered if this is MP on the start of a pr/charm offensive:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/41945759

What was it they used to say "Bull**** Baffles Brains"?

In all honesty if Saint Lard's revelation is anywhere near the mark, Pellegrino's situation is way beyond impressing a few soccer scribes of the press.

Anybody up at St Mary's this morning watching comings and goings? Steve Grant or Nick Illingsworth are usually good at that sort of thing.

:lol:

Crooky's coming of age.

Maybe he thinks there's more money in impersonating Martin Samuel than recycling lazy rumours from frauds like Monk.

Needs work; but not a bad start. Will certainly trigger the chumps.

Edited by shurlock

Crooky's coming of age.

Maybe he thinks there's more money in impersonating Martin Samuel than recycling lazy rumours from frauds like Monk.

Impersonating Martin Samuel eh? Who'd do a thing like that?

Crooky's coming of age.

funny you should say that, he is the latest snap of Crook!!

00175478.jpg

That interview was so contrived it was embarrassing.

Wasn't it just. A proper PR campaign to show the new manager having bantz and showing he isn't completely clueless by mugging off a fat middle aged journalist in a kick about. It's was so cringeworthy it was almost like Cortese was still here, the sort of self promoting ****e he'd churn out.

What was the outcome then, lad?

Also, fans are deluded in thinking we can go for Brendan at Celtic.

Stick with Pellegrino, we'll come good.

I've got to agree, when I've read some posts suggesting we just 'go get Rodgers', I'm thinking some of our fans are nearly as deluded as the f*ckwits down the road. Does anyone really think he'd just walk out on Celtic for Southampton?

First off, he's a fan, he's at (in size/stature) one of the biggest clubs in the world winning the title, other trophies and playing in the CL each season. Nearly 60K passionate and noisy fans at most home games, thousands (or as many tickets as they're allowed) for away games and loads year after year around Europe (although we did take more than them to Israel :p).

For the money alone the Premier League is the holy grail for top managers but I don't think Southampton, or anyone else outside the top 6/7 clubs in England will be a next destination for the Irishman.

I think Pellegrino will be around a bit longer yet but Bendan Rodgers aint my cup of tea anyway.

I've got to agree, when I've read some posts suggesting we just 'go get Rodgers', I'm thinking some of our fans are nearly as deluded as the f*ckwits down the road. Does anyone really think he'd just walk out on Celtic for Southampton?

First off, he's a fan, he's at (in size/stature) one of the biggest clubs in the world winning the title, other trophies and playing in the CL each season. Nearly 60K passionate and noisy fans at most home games, thousands (or as many tickets as they're allowed) for away games and loads year after year around Europe (although we did take more than them to Israel :p).

For the money alone the Premier League is the holy grail for top managers but I don't think Southampton, or anyone else outside the top 6/7 clubs in England will be a next destination for the Irishman.

I think Pellegrino will be around a bit longer yet but Bendan Rodgers aint my cup of tea anyway.

how on earth have we signed celtics best players in the last handful of seasons?

if celtic is such a pull, how come they are crap outside of their league?

how on earth have we signed celtics best players in the last handful of seasons?

if celtic is such a pull, how come they are crap outside of their league?

Massive salary increase, stepping stone to Premier League and then quickly onto bigger and massive incoming transfer fees for Celtic who can easily replace and still retain the title and cups with out the Wanyamas, Forsters, etc. Their manager will have his sites set on something bigger than Southampton in the near future

They are crap outside their league, but they're winning everything in it, as good as it gets right now - but I still believe they'll be part of a European Super League soon.

Anyways, my opinion, 3 posts and out.

Massive salary increase, stepping stone to Premier League and then quickly onto bigger and massive incoming transfer fees for Celtic who can easily replace and still retain the title and cups with out the Wanyamas, Forsters, etc. Their manager will have his sites set on something bigger than Southampton in the near future

They are crap outside their league, but they're winning everything in it, as good as it gets right now - but I still believe they'll be part of a European Super League soon.

Anyways, my opinion, 3 posts and out.

their managers?

like who?

Rogers...maybe

Ronny Delia.....must be waiting for the chelsea job..

Neil Lennon...stunning at Bolton

Tony Mowbray? amazing...

Strachan....just bowed out of Scotland....expect him to be picked up by the big guns soon

that is their last 5 managers (including brendan) so stop talking shyte

their managers?

like who?

Rogers...maybe

Ronny Delia.....must be waiting for the chelsea job..

Neil Lennon...stunning at Bolton

Tony Mowbray? amazing...

Strachan....just bowed out of Scotland....expect him to be picked up by the big guns soon

that is their last 5 managers (including brendan) so stop talking shyte

That's handy, still got one post left.

You're the one talking "shyte" - I said "their manager", you twisted it, we were talking solely about Brendan Rodgers. As you know really, it was nothing to do with their previous.

That is my third, so you carrying on talking "shyte" now uninterupted.

That's handy, still got one post left.

You're the one talking "shyte" - I said "their manager", you twisted it, we were talking solely about Brendan Rodgers. As you know really, it was nothing to do with their previous.

That is my third, so you carrying on talking "shyte" now uninterupted.

a manager does not leave celtic and walk into one of europe's top jobs...it just does not and it will not happen.

good for you if you think it will

Er, you know we signed a load of players from Celtic in recent seasons right?

Forster

Wanyama

van Dijk

All blow your argument apart. If we really wanted someone at Celtic, they'd come. They can't get remotely close to the wages Saints can offer. Money generally talks in football.

Brendan Rodgers has zero chance of walking into a bigger job than saints if he wishes to test himself in a real league with real competition again. He'd have to win the Europa League to raise a few curious eyebrows but that's unlikely to happen.

This- his time at Liverpool stops him being picked by a number of the big boys I would imagine, so some reputation rebuilding at Celtic and a PL job like Saints would make sense for him.

Wasn't deadly keen on him at Liverpool but I'd take him at Saints. Has a set style of passing football but kept Swansea up by organising their defence very well, has European experience and has a fairly decent record with young players.

Previous recent Celtic managers have subsequently moved to such European giants as second tier Bolton, second tier Middlesbrough and some Norwegian no-mark outfit.

Martin O Neil went to Villa but mainly because he was already proven excellent manager in the Premier League (ie he could have got a job like that before he went to Celtic).

The idea that we couldn't get Rodgers here is utterly laughable. His next job will be us or somewhere like us - Leicester/Newcastle/Stoke/etc.

The only thing I think unlikely is him walking out mid-season.

But the idea that people don't leave European mega club Celtic to come to us is moronic considering the number of players recently who have done precisely that.

I said people were deluded to think we could attempt Rodgers not because of the stature of our club compared to Celtic, but because he's a Celtic fan.
I'd be amazed if he stuck it out beyond the summer, two seasons and he'll have done everything there is to do up there.

It's not about him coming to us, its just the dead end that is Scottish football. Do you seriously think he's going to spend the rest of his career up there?

I'd be amazed if he stuck it out beyond the summer, two seasons and he'll have done everything there is to do up there.

It's not about him coming to us, its just the dead end that is Scottish football. Do you seriously think he's going to spend the rest of his career up there?

No, but managers moving between clubs is a different proposition to players, IMO. I totally agree most Celtic players would give their right arm, even if they were die hard fans of the club, to play for Saints in the Premier League.

I think it's different with managers. Again, just my opinion, managers like Rodgers view clubs like Celtic as a career goal rather than a stepping stone. There is prestige to these clubs which teams like Southampton don't have, regardless of league quality.

No, but managers moving between clubs is a different proposition to players, IMO. I totally agree most Celtic players would give their right arm, even if they were die hard fans of the club, to play for Saints in the Premier League.

I think it's different with managers. Again, just my opinion, managers like Rodgers view clubs like Celtic as a career goal rather than a stepping stone. There is prestige to these clubs which teams like Southampton don't have, regardless of league quality.

After two seasons of managing Celtic he will have achieved that career goal. Being manager of Celtic for season after season after season is not a career goal for any self respecting manager.

The previous managers of Celtic haven't used it as a stepping stone because Scottish football is rubbish which is why they've rocked up at Middlesbrough and Bolton.

Not entirely sure what club of prestige you think will be Brendan Rodgers next step but I reckon it will be someone like us or Stoke or Newcastle, with the only wildcard being him going to a Moyes-style middling Spanish club to "stretch himself".

Im surprised Neil Lennon jacked it in to tackle the great English powerhouse that is Bolton

rarely, (if ever) do players and managers in the modern era leave the SPL and walk straight into a top 4/6 club in England..

Boruc, Forster, Wanyama, Van Dijk all used/using saints as a stepping stone.....the likes of Mcgeady and Hooper (who also left Celtic) to better their careers are where exactly?

Edited by Batman

Why would anyone decent want our job? Let’s imagine the board follow the advise from here and sack MP within the next couple of weeks. We’d have sacked a bloke who finished 8th after one season , then given his replacement about a dozen games. We also have new owners / partners. Doesn’t strike me as a particularly attractive proposition. Rodgers can either stay at Celtic, maybes in the Europa league, setting a record for consecutive unbeaten games, or move to a club whose moron fans want you out if you’re not playing sparkling football within a month.

At the end of the season they’ll be 2 or 3 jobs available that’ll be a lot more attractive than ours has become. Obviously it won’t be an English champions league contender, but amongst our peers they’ll be a choice that’ll look a lot better .Still never mind at least Puel & MP will have been sacked.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Edited by Lord Duckhunter

Why would anyone decent want our job? Let’s imagine the board follow the advise from here and sack MP within the next couple of weeks. We’d have sacked a bloke who finished 8th after one season , then given his replacement about a dozen games. We also have new owners / partners. Doesn’t strike me as a particularly attractive proposition. Rodgers can either stay at Celtic, maybes in the Europa league, setting a record for consecutive unbeaten games, or move to a club whose moron fans want you out if you’re not playing sparkling football within a month.

At the end of the season they’ll be 2 or 3 jobs available that’ll be a lot more attractive than ours has become. Obviously it won’t be an English champions league contender, but amongst our peers they’ll be a choice that’ll look a lot better .Still never mind at least Puel & MP will have been sacked.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The Duck speaks sense