Pellegrino OUT

Batman

It just seems bizarre to me. Did Pelligrino flat out lie when they spoke about style of football?

Shouldn't our all knowing Black Box have established his style of play long before we sat down to talk to him ? He was meant to be our first choice who we had tracked for some time.

it would suit you if Saints crashed and burned.

Puel for all the nonsense on here had 1 transfer window to build a team as when he joined had little time of support.

I don't know how long it will take for lots of you to realise that Les Reed has picked all HIS squad in the last two Summer windows BEFORE the new Managers have arrived.

Managers no longer have any say in who comes or goes. If he did Saints would have got two AM's this summer just gone. One plus, Mr Plod doesn't get on the pitch any more.

Is the Mr Plod you refer to JWP? One of the few things I give credit to Pellegrino for has been his willingness to drop Ward-Prowse out of the team for form/merit reasons. He needs to go further and make similar decisions with players like Forster, Redmond, Tadic, Austin. The apparent poor attitudes of VVD and Bertrand are different issues, in that they have the talent and skills but may not commit them to Saints any time soon. In that sense, MP has a difficult task in front of him; how to turn things round with a significant mixture of mediocre or unmotivated players in his squad. Provided we aren't staring down the barrel of relegation threat, I hope he tries to promote players like Sims, Hesketh (when back to full fitness) and Slattery to positions currently held by the likes of Redmond and Tadic.

“Mauricio has an excellent understanding of the ‘Southampton Way’, and his style of play and aspiration matches the philosophy, culture and ambition of the club,” he blustered. “We want to play exciting, attacking football, taking the game to our opponents by playing a high-intensity game.”

There was little evidence of all of that good stuff during the 2-2 draw with Newcastle United on Sunday, unless of course the ‘Southampton Way’ means toothless wingers, a lack of ingenuity in the middle and repeatedly dumping cross after cross onto the heads of the opposition’s centre-backs. In fact, eight games into the new season and there has been precious little to write him about at all."

my thread made a national!!!! :smug:

..... which called your thread “ridiculous”.

Well done. You must be very proud.

Peak of your trolling career I’d imagine.

Says we are the same team we were at the end of last season, which is true. The problem was not Puel or Pellegrino, we are not hiring chancers here, but coaches with a solid track record at other clubs, and yet getting similar results. Our squad is flawed with a relegation standard goalkeeper who was inexplicably given a new contract, the low point of the summer for me, one single player who can both finish chances and resemble a footballer and a load of attackers that are a total missmatch for their teammates (Tadic can't play without a target man and judging by the number of crosses he makes, hasn't noticed we don't have one, Long can't play without Mané and Austin can't play football). It doesn't matter if we have very good players in defence and midfield when we have massive weak links in key places at both ends. Change the manager or don't, it won't make any difference until we change the players, we are still paying the price for the mess we made of the 2016 summer window where none of Hojbjerg, Boufal, Redmond or McCarthy have added anything to the team.

If it does turn out that pellegrino can't improve things & has to go, surely Les can't survive two.bad managerial appointments?

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Why not? There are people who employ manager after manager who fail and remain in their jobs. If Reed employed MP to manage in a certain way and he doesn't, is that Reed's fault or MPs fault? Do you really think that Reed wanted to continue in the same way as with Puel? If so why sack him? We don't know what goes on behind the scenes but if this continues and it wasn't what Reed signed up for, you would expect him to have a long talk with MP but you cant blame Reed if MP isn't doing what was expected of him.

This thread New manager inherits average team that has continually sold its best players, shock horror team continues to play average football that bores fans who have been very spoilt over a number of years.....

Disagree, I don't think it is that bad a bunch of players.

Sure they aren't top 4 but with a decent manager they are mid/upper mid table standard. The whole 'players aren't up to it' is just an excuse for **** poor management.

We have a striker in Gabbi who - on form - would be sniffing around the Azzuri IMO, another striker in Austin who is lethal in the box given the service - and it's up to the manager to work out how to give him that service.

A midfielder from Juve who we all agree looks class, another DM who last season was great for us, a LEFT winger (not right or central) in Tadic who has the skill to make things happen, another skilful AM in Boufal and a defensive unit that is at least solid and at best fairly stingy.

We have decent players - what we don't have is a manager that knows who the underperformers are and how to make them work together as a team with the end product of goals.

Maybe he's too rooted in a Spanish style of play and simply can't change.

Disagree, I don't think it is that bad a bunch of players.

Sure they aren't top 4 but with a decent manager they are mid/upper mid table standard. The whole 'players aren't up to it' is just an excuse for **** poor management.

We have a striker in Gabbi who - on form - would be sniffing around the Azzuri IMO, another striker in Austin who is lethal in the box given the service - and it's up to the manager to work out how to give him that service.

A midfielder from Juve who we all agree looks class, another DM who last season was great for us, a LEFT winger (not right or central) in Tadic who has the skill to make things happen, another skilful AM in Boufal and a defensive unit that is at least solid and at best fairly stingy.

We have decent players - what we don't have is a manager that knows who the underperformers are and how to make them work together as a team with the end product of goals.

Maybe he's too rooted in a Spanish style of play and simply can't change.

I don't disagree with you that we have decent players but

They make too many mistakes

They never score wonder goals

I can't believe how impatient so many of our fans are. Yea the football is dross but its not panic stations is it. Our fans are pathetic. The booing of Forster, Redmond and VVD at the weekend goes further to prove that our fans are pathetic. Bunch of self entitled, impatient, millennial instant gratification demanding cluster-****s.

This thread �� New manager inherits average team that has continually sold its best players, shock horror team continues to play average football that bores fans who have been very spoilt over a number of years.....

Agreed with your post until the "spolit" comment.

Exactly why are we "spoilt" ?

We have put up with years of underacheivement, poor performances, etc. with a short purple patch over the managments of Pardew to Koeman.

And over the end of last season / beginning of this we have been incapable of finding the net. Hours and hours of it.

I reckon our fans are some of the most patient in the Premier League.

Deal with the fact the SFC board have got arrogant and complacent, just like Lowe did when we finished 8th and got the FA Cup Final.

Is the Mr Plod you refer to JWP? One of the few things I give credit to Pellegrino for has been his willingness to drop Ward-Prowse out of the team for form/merit reasons. He needs to go further and make similar decisions with players like Forster, Redmond, Tadic, Austin. The apparent poor attitudes of VVD and Bertrand are different issues, in that they have the talent and skills but may not commit them to Saints any time soon. In that sense, MP has a difficult task in front of him; how to turn things round with a significant mixture of mediocre or unmotivated players in his squad. Provided we aren't staring down the barrel of relegation threat, I hope he tries to promote players like Sims, Hesketh (when back to full fitness) and Slattery to positions currently held by the likes of Redmond and Tadic.

Oh please, Slattery is not good enough for the first team, he is just slightly better at times than the very mediocre under 23 squad we have and by that I mean the ones currently outside the first team frame.

He is way off ....

Should have stuck with Puel

No we shouldn't have. Sacking Puel was the right decision, I was dreading another season of having to sit through the dross he served up and have no doubt that if he were still here we would be in a similar position. Unfortunately it looks so far like Pellegrino is much of the same but if he does turn out to be a poor appointment it doesn't suddenly make sacking Puel a mistake, it just means we've made another poor appointment.

I agree with what others have said about our squad not being that bad, whilst not world-beaters I don't think Puel and now MP have got the best out of what they have. However eight games into his reign is too early to make a proper judgement so although I agree the signs so far aren't good, it's not time to be calling for his head...yet.

No we shouldn't have. Sacking Puel was the right decision, I was dreading another season of having to sit through the dross he served up and have no doubt that if he were still here we would be in a similar position. Unfortunately it looks so far like Pellegrino is much of the same but if he does turn out to be a poor appointment it doesn't suddenly make sacking Puel a mistake, it just means we've made another poor appointment.

I agree with what others have said about our squad not being that bad, whilst not world-beaters I don't think Puel and now MP have got the best out of what they have. However eight games into his reign is too early to make a proper judgement so although I agree the signs so far aren't good, it's not time to be calling for his head...yet.

So where do you think this squad of players should realistically finish. I presume it must be 7th, because anyone who thinks our squad is better than Chelsea’s, Spurs , the 2 Manchester clubs, Liverpool or Arsenal is deluded. And clearly 8th isn’t good enough for you. Would also be interested in your expectations regarding the cups, logic suggests that nothing other than winning one each season is good enough for you.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I see that Leicester have pulled the trigger and sacked Shakespeare.

A victim of somebody else's success. Although he got his chance through that success and their demise as well, will be interesting to see where he pops up next.

Guys relax, Pelle will come good.

He is an intelligent tactician, he's aware of the problem and is trying out different systems to fix it. He'll get there in the end.

Look at Conte last season, was poor at the start, then found his system and went on to smash the league.

It is ridiculous to sack the manager after so few games.

Our fans have become unbearable of late, support the team and the manager rather than demanding instant success and throwing your toys out of the pram when you don't get it.

I see that Leicester have pulled the trigger and sacked Shakespeare.

Probably a good move. Woefully under performing with the players they have: Vardy / Okazaki / Slimani / Iheancho means you just have every kind of striker at your disposal.

Demarai Gray on the bench too.

Controversial, but I think Big Sam would do a very good job up there.

So where do you think this squad of players should realistically finish. I presume it must be 7th, because anyone who thinks our squad is better than Chelsea’s, Spurs , the 2 Manchester clubs, Liverpool or Arsenal is deluded. And clearly 8th isn’t good enough for you. Would also be interested in your expectations regarding the cups, logic suggests that nothing other than winning one each season is good enough for you.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I agree on the face of it 8th place is an acceptable finish and of course I don't expect us to challenge the big clubs. However our points tally would, the vast majority of the time, have had us finishing lower mid-table and what isn't acceptable was (and still is) the complete lack of entertainment, attacking intent and as a result goals. Failing to score in our last five home games was a damning indictment of Puel's negativity as although our squad was weaker than under Koeman, our attacking players are still capable of much better than what we have seen this calender year if coached properly and used in a system that plays to their strengths.

Finishing 8th last season papered over some pretty big cracks.

Guys relax, Pelle will come good.

He is an intelligent tactician, he's aware of the problem and is trying out different systems to fix it. He'll get there in the end.

Look at Conte last season, was poor at the start, then found his system and went on to smash the league.

It is ridiculous to sack the manager after so few games.

Our fans have become unbearable of late, support the team and the manager rather than demanding instant success and throwing your toys out of the pram when you don't get it.

Not forgetting, possibly our greatest ever manager, big Lawrie Mac got us relegated in his first season

Agreed with your post until the "spolit" comment.

Exactly why are we "spoilt" ?

We have put up with years of underacheivement, poor performances, etc. with a short purple patch over the managments of Pardew to Koeman.

And over the end of last season / beginning of this we have been incapable of finding the net. Hours and hours of it.

I reckon our fans are some of the most patient in the Premier League.

Deal with the fact the SFC board have got arrogant and complacent, just like Lowe did when we finished 8th and got the FA Cup Final.

Spoilt in the way we went on a journey from the bottom of league 1 to the top half of the premier league playing a lot of fantastic football along the way. It's only last couple of seasons where we are finding our level rather than overachieving and we've played some pretty terrible football doing so. Must be what it feels like to be a mid table club in the premier league?

But hey let's sack the manager after 8 games, pluck a gem out of thin air who can take us up the league playing free flowing football with an average squad whilst working with a small transfer and wage budget...... when you do that with a mid table club it's fans are spoilt

Why not? There are people who employ manager after manager who fail and remain in their jobs. If Reed employed MP to manage in a certain way and he doesn't, is that Reed's fault or MPs fault? Do you really think that Reed wanted to continue in the same way as with Puel? If so why sack him? We don't know what goes on behind the scenes but if this continues and it wasn't what Reed signed up for, you would expect him to have a long talk with MP but you cant blame Reed if MP isn't doing what was expected of him.

I bet you cheer led for Branfoot right up until he was sacked? Some people are frightened of change and you are definitely one of them.

I really have little confidence in the manager because of his stubbornness in making the same mistakes time after time and expects things to change. Listen, you chump, pick at least two strikers one of which has to be Long because he has pace and challenges for balls in the air. Gabbiadini and Austin without Long won't work. If you pick Redmond or Tadic, play them on their natural sides and absolutely insist on players making runs through the strikers into the box even if it hurts.

Football is an easy game. Play a team that works together not pick a system and put players in to play your way not their way. Pellegrino and Puel are theoretical coaches not practical managers there lies the problem.

like-button.jpg

A victim of somebody else's success. Although he got his chance through that success and their demise as well, will be interesting to see where he pops up next.

Come on Les, it makes good business sense. You know he won't be expensive.....

Come on Les, it makes good business sense. You know he won't be expensive.....
I've heard we've been monitoring him for a number of years and our extensive black box analysis reports have revealed that he just so happens to be precisely the perfect candidate for us right now.

I really have little confidence in the manager because of his stubbornness in making the same mistakes time after time and expects things to change. Listen, you chump, pick at least two strikers one of which has to be Long because he has pace and challenges for balls in the air. Gabbiadini and Austin without Long won't work. If you pick Redmond or Tadic, play them on their natural sides and absolutely insist on players making runs through the strikers into the box even if it hurts.

Football is an easy game. Play a team that works together not pick a system and put players in to play your way not their way. Pellegrino and Puel are theoretical coaches not practical managers there lies the problem.

:lol:

Not sure what the Manager Out crew think a new manager could do that the current manager can't. If it's selection, tactics or match preparation that needs to change, Pellegrino could do that as well as anyone else. A new manager would come with his own weaknesses, for instance Sam Allardyce and Gordon Strachan are available but what makes anyone think someone like them would be any better. Pellegrino did make changes today, with two strikers, but the midfield didn't get the crosses into them. That's down to the players, not the manager.

So no club ever needs a new manager? Because the players can manage themselves? We sacked Puel for no reason at all? Back in the day, Ian Branford could not be improved on? Bizarre.

Sacking Puel was the wrong decision, a year after a bunch of wrong decisions in the 2015 summer window.

Mane £37m

Pelle £14m

Wanyama £13m

Juanmi £4.5m

= £68.5m in

Boufal £17m

Hojbjerg £13.5m

Redmond £12m

McCarthy £4m

=£46.5m spent

Mane/Pelle/Wanyama were all key players for us when in form. Boufal/Hojbjerg/McCarthy have been benched by 2 consecutive managers and in Redmond's case the fans desperately want to bench him.

That 1 window moved us from best of the rest to lower midtable.

About as simplistic an outlook on the situation as you can get. By any other measure of performance we dropped off big time last season. Goals, points, even just sitting there with the naked eye thinking, "Gordon Bennett, this ain't half boring."

I think we were 10th at half time in the last game of the season and the score was 0-0. We ended up losing and finishing 8th, showing how awful the bottom 13 of the league really was.

About as simplistic an outlook on the situation as you can get. By any other measure of performance we dropped off big time last season. Goals, points, even just sitting there with the naked eye thinking, "Gordon Bennett, this ain't half boring."

I think we were 10th at half time in the last game of the season and the score was 0-0. We ended up losing and finishing 8th, showing how awful the bottom 13 of the league really was.

Wrong wrong wrong.

Shots:

2016/17: 550

2015/16: 519

2014/15: 509

2013/14: 534

2012/13: 516

https://www.premierleague.com/clubs/20/Southampton/stats?se=54

Puel's team had the most shots since promotion. Equal most shots on target with our 2013/14 season. The difference was the rubbish transfer window where we sold Mane/Pelle/Wanyama and replaced them Boufal/Redmond/Hojbjerg. No goals because of bang-average attackers gave the illusion of more boring football than what was actually the case.

Edited by Ultimatt

About as simplistic an outlook on the situation as you can get. By any other measure of performance we dropped off big time last season.

By any other measure?

What about measuring cup runs, let's measure that. Or is that too simplistic a measure.

Don't tell me it was the worst cup final run in the history of cup final runs. Worst ever 8th place finish & worst ever cup final run....

Personally I prefer the old fashioned measures. Tried & tested measures , like league position & how far you get in the cups. If you want to watch a sport where results are based on artistic merit, may I suggest ice dancing.

Edited by Lord Duckhunter

By any other measure?

What about measuring cup runs, let's measure that. Or is that too simplistic a measure.

Don't tell me it was the worst cup final run in the history of cup final runs. Worst ever 8th place finish & worst ever cup final run....

Personally I prefer the old fashioned measures. Tried & tested measures , like league position & how far you get in the cups. If you want to watch a sport where results are based on artistic merit, may I suggest ice dancing.

Christ you're like a dog with a bone. People have a difference of opinion to you shock horror. Everybody understands you think that sacking puel was a horrendous decision whereas others disagree. Let's move on?

Sacking Puel was the wrong decision, a year after a bunch of wrong decisions in the 2015 summer window.

Mane £37m

Pelle £14m

Wanyama £13m

Juanmi £4.5m

= £68.5m in

Boufal £17m

Hojbjerg £13.5m

Redmond £12m

McCarthy £4m

=£46.5m spent

Mane/Pelle/Wanyama were all key players for us when in form. Boufal/Hojbjerg/McCarthy have been benched by 2 consecutive managers and in Redmond's case the fans desperately want to bench him.

I think that is very true and something which was highly likely.

I don't really understand why fans don't accept that we have been very lucky recently especially with Mane and it takes time to bring in young players and develop them.

We are just a mid table side always have been always will be just accept it and when we do well get excited but it will not last forever football is not like that

I bet you cheer led for Branfoot right up until he was sacked? Some people are frightened of change and you are definitely one of them.

Nope. not at all. Why would you say that? I'm not frightened of change. I just don't believe that you should change everything every 5 minutes if it doesn't work at that particular time. You on the other hand seem to have no time for anyone at management level at the club. Frightened of stability?

Mane £37m

Pelle £14m

Wanyama £13m

Juanmi £4.5m

= £68.5m in

Boufal £17m

Hojbjerg £13.5m

Redmond £12m

McCarthy £4m

=£46.5m spent

And yet, the thread is for MP out, not Les Reed out. Fans are thickle, and their failure to correctly apportion blame means Uncle Les and co will get more chances to drop a bollock.

And yet, the thread is for MP out, not Les Reed out. Fans are thickle, and their failure to correctly apportion blame means Uncle Les and co will get more chances to drop a bollock.

Or maybe it should be no one out and give them all the opportunity to put things right. After all you are moaning that their poor recruitment failed to replaced their earlier good recruitment.

Nope. not at all. Why would you say that? I'm not frightened of change. I just don't believe that you should change everything every 5 minutes if it doesn't work at that particular time. You on the other hand seem to have no time for anyone at management level at the club. Frightened of stability?

Probably not, just sick of watching dire football. This new guy was brought in to rectify that wasn't he?.