Pellegrino OUT

Batman

Anyone who thought that Tuchel or Emery were ever remotely realistic targets has no business making decisions about the future of the club.

As for MP, I look at how Napoli have been transformed under Sarri over the last season and a half. The likes of Mertens and Callejon were unremarkable mid-level international players, but that team has now been coached to the point where their pressing and movement off the ball are as good as I've seen.

If you have an idea and the authority to implement it, you can turn average players into a superior team, but I'm not convinced MP has an idea of what he wants the team to do. Not losing the ball is the obvious fallback position if you don't have a clue what you want the players to do with it.

yes he certainly did, think he said it twice but definitely when talking about taking Gabby off, playing with one up front etc.

Spoke a lot of sense tonight did Dave, he was fuming though and said what we all know that the Everton game is a must win with Liverpool and Man City either side of it.

As I said, damning.

What annoys me about the manager is that he keeps making the same mistakes. His substitutions are as baffling as Puel's.

As I said, damning.

What annoys me about the manager is that he keeps making the same mistakes. His substitutions are as baffling as Puel's.

its all baffling - Hoedt back in team last week, benched this week. Why ?

Subs prove he us reactionary and not pro-active.

As you say, same mistakes week in week out in the blind faith that it will all come right in the end.....newsflash MP - it won’t !

its all baffling - Hoedt back in team last week, benched this week. Why ?

Subs prove he us reactionary and not pro-active.

As you say, same mistakes week in week out in the blind faith that it will all come right in the end.....newsflash MP - it won’t !

I'd like to think that Hoedt would have done better than Yoshida against that header today.

Same every week, no signs of learning or changing. We have just replaced Puel with Puel mark two. Krueger needs to act and remove Pellegrino, Black, Watson and possibly also Reed. Bring a new guy in over the International break that can assess who is up for it and who isn't before the January window, then act in January. Otherwise we have a relegation battle on our hands - with turgid football and dwindling crowds and revenue as well.

big Boufal fan here, but even I'd have to admit that he looked tired after 70 minutes and was walking forward (whilst we were breaking I might add) shortly before he was subbed, so think its harsh to moan at MP for that substitution. If we'd scored from one of JWP more effective crosses at the death would that have said it all then?

He should have brought JWP on earlier for one of our more defensive players - Davis probably. I thought that Davis and Romeu had a decent game together and will be content to see them start again against Liverpool if Lemina's still injured but once Saints were a goal down the need was to keep the team's best attacking players on the pitch.

I did note however that VVD seemed to be positioning himself as some kind of auxiliary attacker at the end.

Well you obviously didn't watch some of those games - instead moronically working backwards from the games we lost. Any idiot with a list of results can do that. Now if you had actually watched the games, you would have acknowledged that we were the better side at Hull, Everton, Swansea, Burnley etc. Often by a large margin.

I went to the Everton game. Had 0-0 written all over it with us being a bit better in parts until we conceded and then it was obvious to everyone we weren't going to score. The same applies to the Burnley game. Both games were crap with nothing to write home about and pedestrian, organised, functional pretty **** teams. In neither game were we demonstrably better nor were we actually any good at all. Having looked at our fixtures I have started to lean very heavily towards "Allardyce in", which shows how dire I view our chances.

As a consistent critic of the decision to sack Puel, following a season where some of our less intelligent fans didn’t seem to be able to factor in that:

- we played over 50 games with European travel

- went on a glorious run to Wembley (where we were robbed) failing to concede a goal against all PL opposition and winnin away at Liverpool and Arsenal

- finished comfortably below three teams who, unusually for them, didn’t have European football (Everton, Liverpool and Chelsea)

- sold Pelle and Mane

- missed VVD for half the season

- brought through McQueen, Sims, Hesketh, Stephens and developed Romeo, Redmond and JWP (the latter two earning England call up)

- bizarrely faced three home games in the fag end of a tired May

I hope people can now stare at what a mess we are in. Following the humiliation to Wolves Reserves, MP has week in, week out, coaching on the training pitch with no distractions. The entertainment BOTH home and away is lower than last season. We have wasted many winnable games, and we are now staring at being in the drop zone once our horrific fixture list plays out over the coming weeks. And, with Wet Spam game rearranged, we will have to play more away game soon than home in the new year.

It is good to see that one or to are honest enough to say that they were too hasty calling for Puel to be fired. But many would rather eat glass than say it.

The biggest irony, and to be fair if tru is the most compelling reason to have sacked Puel, is that allegedly some players were unhappy. Well those same players must be truly delighted right now then. I assume the are performing highly and must always be listened and pandered to.

I have only ever called for Branfoot, Gray and Wigley to go. I really that unless we act quickly and fire MP we will be relegated. With a considerably easier hand to play than Puel, he isn’t failing miserably. Of the remaining eight teams we are yet to play, six are against last season’s top seven. Add the points you expect from them, plus Bournemouth away and, yes, Puel’s Leicester, add it to 13 and double it.

Do you get to more than 40?

Good post.

I've just watched MP's post match interview. The man is like a scratched record. Same story every week. He's a clueless ****ing idiot who makes Puel look like Sir Alex Ferguson.

Good post.

I've just watched MP's post match interview. The man is like a scratched record. Same story every week. He's a clueless ****ing idiot who makes Puel look like Sir Alex Ferguson.

The man is so clearly out of his depth its painful. Put him out of his misery.

We played boring football under Puel, his post match interviews were painful but we got a day out to Wembley and finished fairly comfortable. I think with MP we've been sucked into a latin named man whose name sounds like Poch and hoping for a replica of him. The players coming off the pitch yesterday were trying to walk past MP going down the tunnel and they looked totally hacked off, rightly so. I'm not in favour of hiring and firing willy nllly but what sensible available manager can we realistically get, I reckon Chelsea, West Ham, West Brom and of course Everton will be joining us in the hunt.

Worrying times with the upcoming games.

As a consistent critic of the decision to sack Puel, following a season where some of our less intelligent fans didn’t seem to be able to factor in that:

- went on a glorious run to Wembley (where we were robbed) failing to concede a goal against all PL opposition and winnin away at Liverpool and Arsenal

- finished comfortably below three teams who, unusually for them, didn’t have European football (Everton, Liverpool and Chelsea)

- sold Pelle and Mane

- brought through McQueen, Sims, Hesketh, Stephens and developed Romeo, Redmond and JWP (the latter two earning England call up)

I hope people can now stare at what a mess we are in. Following the humiliation to Wolves Reserves, MP has week in, week out, coaching on the training pitch with no distractions. The entertainment BOTH home and away is lower than last season. We have wasted many winnable games, and we are now staring at being in the drop zone once our horrific fixture list plays out over the coming weeks. And, with Wet Spam game rearranged, we will have to play more away game soon than home in the new year.

It is good to see that one or to are honest enough to say that they were too hasty calling for Puel to be fired. But many would rather eat glass than say it.

The biggest irony, and to be fair if tru is the most compelling reason to have sacked Puel, is that allegedly some players were unhappy. Well those same players must be truly delighted right now then. I assume the are performing highly and must always be listened and pandered to.

I have only ever called for Branfoot, Gray and Wigley to go. I really that unless we act quickly and fire MP we will be relegated. With a considerably easier hand to play than Puel, he isn’t failing miserably. Of the remaining eight teams we are yet to play, six are against last season’s top seven. Add the points you expect from them, plus Bournemouth away and, yes, Puel’s Leicester, add it to 13 and double it.

Very good post.

I am generally a 'happy clappy, get behind the club' type. Like you, the only managers I ever jumped on the bandwagon in wanting sacked were the ones you mentioned above - but I woke up this morning hoping to see the news that Pellegrino had already gone.

With Everton currently looking and the Wests ham and brom possibly also to be looking for a new manager soon no doubt if Mope does get the boot it'll be after these 3 clubs have had the pick of the better managers out there we'll be left with the dregs !

I am generally a 'happy clappy, get behind the club' type. Like you, the only managers I ever jumped on the bandwagon in wanting sacked were the ones you mentioned above - but I woke up this morning hoping to see the news that Pellegrino had already gone.

This.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Ffs. Just because pellegrino is clearly rubbish doesn't mean that sacking puel was a bad idea. Clearly we should have recruited better post puel's sacking.

Quite right. The two things are unrelated. The failure has been not making clear what it was about Puel's management that meant a change was needed.. He was sacked off a run of bad results, inability to score and boring football but Pellegrino is in the same rut. I'd be quite happy for e relegation avoiding manager like Allardyce because avoiding relegation is what we need to do. I'm convinced he'd do a better job than Pellegrino and wouldn't it make a nice change to have a manager who speaks English.

I was told-not from the horses mouth but from someone who claimed to be ITK - that if we had less than a point per game by Christmas he’d be gone.

No idea if it’s true sounds plausible, but so would a lot of other statements.

Ffs. Just because pellegrino is clearly rubbish doesn't mean that sacking puel was a bad idea. Clearly we should have recruited better post puel's sacking.

Yeah but it puts performance in perspective. Every team is trying to hire the best manager and buy the best players. It isn’t as simple as many on here think and many fail miserably.

Just saying appoint someone better is much easier to say than do as shown in our case.

- sold Pelle and Mane

I am normally the last one to give in to knee-jerk reactions...I like to give people a real chance to build something...but sadly after yesterday I am coming the conclusion that relegation is a real possibility this year. The only thing that worries me is the natural imbalance in the squad. We can`t score goals. We are not shipping goals but it has been obvious for a good while that we don`t have the personnel to put the ball in the net on a regular basis. Any new manager would have to work with the same squad possibly with the same results....

Pellegrino has not even shown the slightest flicker of promise that he is going to improve us as a team. While our squad has clear weakness in goal and in creative positions there is no way we should be in the position we are in with the squad we have. Use this two week break to cut our losses and move on. If we dither as we did with Puel we will sleepwalk into a relegation battle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pellegrino has not even shown the slightest flicker of promise that he is going to improve us as a team. While our squad has clear weakness in goal and in creative positions there is no way we should be in the position we are in with the squad we have. Use this two week break to cut our losses and move on. If we dither as we did with Puel we will sleepwalk into a relegation battle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Agree completely except it's more a case of careering head first into a relegation battle eyes wide open.

Why did Les Reed big Pellegrino up so much & promise so much? saying that we would be back to pressing other teams closely & exciting counter attacking football!

We've been the complete opposite of that & surely he has dug his own grave with two bad appointments in a row now?

Why did Les Reed big Pellegrino up so much & promise so much? saying that we would be back to pressing other teams closely & exciting counter attacking football!

We've been the complete opposite of that & surely he has dug his own grave with two bad appointments in a row now?

Reed seems untouchable, presumably as he made Kat a fat load of cash.

Reed would still be here after relegation.... Armed with some new motivational hash tags no doubt.

Reed is a loser.... 55 years in the game. Won ZILCH

#WeMarchOn

#WeBounceBack

#SouthamptonWay

It's one colossal f##k up after the other....

Failing to replace quality players i.e Mane, Wanyama.... Instead we have got in cheap players who haven't quite made it with potential.... We need players that can hit the ground running and actually have a record of doing something productive in premiership players.

Our coaching staff have dropped in quality....

Hiring a manager who clearly is out of depth playing negative tactics......

Pull the plug now! Get somebody in with passion and the ability to build team spirit and give him some money to buy and clear out the average dross that is filling up our squad.....

I seriously hope the board use this up and coming 2 week to make a decision on whether to stick or twist. I personally have not seen much improvement at all from last season. Negative tactics, late substitutions, several players low on confidence. Something is drastically wrong. I want Pellegrino to succeed but at the moment we are defiantley worse than last season under Puel. And I thought Puel did a very good job with the tools he was given. I can sense some players are not happy in the way we are being set up to play so something has to give. Whether this be a change in formation, tactics or the manager.

Mental if so. He went to the world's richest club after a streak of 3 consecutive Europa League wins. What on earth made us think we would be in the running for his next job?

Haven’t you seen the videos ? We produce world class players, we are always improving, we never stop, we are Southampton !

Reed won't fire him. It will totally shatter the illusions he has spent yesrs building, that everything is expertly planned and controlled.

We are in a relegation battle though, with a flaky squad and a Manager nobody trusts. Will be interesting.

We played boring football under Puel, his post match interviews were painful but we got a day out to Wembley and finished fairly comfortable. I think with MP we've been sucked into a latin named man whose name sounds like Poch and hoping for a replica of him. The players coming off the pitch yesterday were trying to walk past MP going down the tunnel and they looked totally hacked off, rightly so. I'm not in favour of hiring and firing willy nllly but what sensible available manager can we realistically get, I reckon Chelsea, West Ham, West Brom and of course Everton will be joining us in the hunt.

Worrying times with the upcoming games.

Great news, that means we could get Mr Pulis when he becomes available.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

Great news, that means we could get Mr Pulis when he becomes available.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

I can see it now. Something attacking at home like

Bertrand, Stephens, VVD, Wesley and Yoshida in a back five (no room for Cedric to small)

Romeu, Davis, HoJ and Lemina sitting in front (all with instructions not to cross the halfway line)

Shane Long (up front to chase down the Long balls)

obviously away from home Pulis will want to go a bit more defensive and play JWP as the striker.

I was thinking about what would happen to our team if we were relegated. Obviously a long way to turn things round yet of course, but how many of our players would immediately seek to leave, and how many of those players would find good (i.e. better than relegation scrappers) clubs to join and how many of those players would we as supporters say "clearly they are far too good to be playing the Championship"?

Cedric, Bertrand, van Dijk, Romeu, Lemina and Gabbiadini all fit that description.

Ignoring the players that could at least fit a couple of the categories above (Yoshida, Tadic, Boufal), that still leaves us 6 top quality players that the top clubs would look at (I'll admit that I'm not sure Cedric warrants being in that group, but he probably would be).

With that amount of talent (how many other teams outside the top 6 could say this?), there is either a problem behind the scenes or a problem with the coaching/tactics. Both of these come down to the manager and coaching staff, although the first one could be an issue that stems from the board as well.

My only question is whether we give Pellegrino some time against the top sides in case his tactics/approach ends up working well against them. But I do find it concerning that he seems to think everything is working well and we've just been unlucky.

Edited by mrfahaji

Reed won't fire him. It will totally shatter the illusions he has spent yesrs building, that everything is expertly planned and controlled.

We are in a relegation battle though, with a flaky squad and a Manager nobody trusts. Will be interesting.

Which is why I suspect any decision for change will have to come at a higher level,either Ralph, or the owners. Unless of course Les feels the scrutiny from above .

If the fans are vocal enough he'll do it I reckon. If we get stuffed at Liverpool, then the fans there need to make their feelings known.

It's the Everton home game when it could all turn nasty no one in their right mind expect us to get anything at Anfieild.

Sacking a decent manager and replacing him with someone worse is always a bad idea. We did it with Nicholl -> Br*nf**t and Luggy -> Wigley. It was a disaster those two times, and it is looking like history is repeating itself.