Pellegrino OUT

Batman

Sacking Puel was the wrong decision, a year after a bunch of wrong decisions in the 2015 summer window.

Mane £37m

Pelle £14m

Wanyama £13m

Juanmi £4.5m

= £68.5m in

Boufal £17m

Hojbjerg £13.5m

Redmond £12m

McCarthy £4m

=£46.5m spent

Mane/Pelle/Wanyama were all key players for us when in form. Boufal/Hojbjerg/McCarthy have been benched by 2 consecutive managers and in Redmond's case the fans desperately want to bench him.

That 1 window moved us from best of the rest to lower midtable.

Sorry your point isn't clear? So were the managers right to bench the three you name but wrong to play Redmond despite the fans views?

Or are the managers right to bench them and right to play Redmond?

It's a manager's decision to take a job. They know they'll be judged on it, not directors etc.

We can discuss sales, strategy etc elsewhere forever. When discussing a manager it's purely 'are they getting the best from what they have'. Nothing else matters.

So far I've been really disappointed in MP's selections, sticking with poor form players and most of all, the negativity in style. Whoever we signed in attack, I feel we'd still be keeping possession and passing backwards. There's a fear in them and it's horrific to watch. Really think you'd see a different side to these players under better, braver management. A confident Tadic ON THE LEFT WING is a very dangerous player, Boufal clearly has talent, Gabbiadini makes a lot of good runs, even bloody Redmond isn't as bad as he's been this season.

Most of that is fair. But I still say give MP time. The man clearly has intelligence and experience, and its obvious that he can see the problems. I think he'll puzzle his way out of it and he is trying to justify the players he has with english football and his managerial style. Having "manager out" threads after 7 games (or whenever it was that this started) is honestly a bit silly.

Or maybe it should be no one out and give them all the opportunity to put things right. After all you are moaning that their poor recruitment failed to replaced their earlier good recruitment.

I disagree with that, i think the board have had enough chances, and that they are the reason we are saddled with only Forster in goal and gaping holes in attacking midfield. It smacks or shocking medium/long term planning.

That said, I think that Lemina is pure class, and I think that Hoedt is a very good prospect. So they have recovered slightly at the end of the window. Regardless, we have been on a downwards trajectory for nearly 2 years worth of windows at this point. And they've had mares before that as well.

I simply think that Puel lost his job (at least in part) because of limited players available to him, and I think that the fan's are turning on MP for similar reasons. In my opinion, the current gaffer has the potential to be good, and frankly we've dropped so far we may as well take a gamble and see if he can turn things around.

Many on here would have sacked LM in his first season, or sacked Koeman multiple times before his top 6 finish and near CL qualification. Many on here also told us that Mane was gash. The majority rule on saintsweb is usually wrong when it comes to spitting the dummy out. And I include myself in with regards to Koeman at his very worst.

just wondering, anyone know how much compo we gave Puel last season? and similarly how much compensation it would cost if we were to get rid of Pellegrino?

He was earning 3.2m a year (67k pw) so assume his payout was the full 6.4m reduced when he takes a new role.

Probably explains why he declined the Bayern Munich job

Sorry your point isn't clear? So were the managers right to bench the three you name but wrong to play Redmond despite the fans views?

Or are the managers right to bench them and right to play Redmond?

The point was we replaced players regularly starting at bigger better clubs, or that became the 4th highest paid player in the world, with players that sit on our bench assuming they make the squad at all. It should be obvious to everyone that Redmond/Boufal =/= Mane, Hojbjerg =/= Wanyama, Austin =/= Pelle. So to expect similar play/performance with a clearly weaker squad is fanciful.

He was earning 3.2m a year (67k pw) so assume his payout was the full 6.4m reduced when he takes a new role.

Probably explains why he declined the Bayern Munich job

The French press are claiming he got a job offer from China, worth roughly £85,000 a week, (€5M a year) which he turned down. Rennes job in Ligue 1 is available at the moment, could be a possible destination. Or Leicester, if they want someone with a proven track record of getting a club to a cup final and a top half finish.

The French press are claiming he got a job offer from China, worth roughly £85,000 a week, (€5M a year) which he turned down. Rennes job in Ligue 1 is available at the moment, could be a possible destination. Or Leicester, if they want someone with a proven track record of getting a club to a cup final and a top half finish.

they could go for paul jewell then

Both Puel and Pellegrino have got us playing uninspiring, goal shy football that values retaining possession in our half or the centre of the pitch over positive pressing, fast transition football of poch which I think everyone else preferred as it was a style we liked, appreciated and the players enjoyed.

Les needs to sort out being cheap with managers and try and get one that is actually in a job, he got lucky with Poch.

Les needs to sort out being cheap with managers and try and get one that is actually in a job, he got lucky with Poch.

Seen this a few times now. Poch was a appointment by Cortese and Mitchell. Spotted him whilst we were scouting Coutinho at Espanyol

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Seen this a few times now. Poch was a appointment by Cortese and Mitchell. Spotted him whilst we were scouting Coutinho at Espanyol

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Les seems to be taking the credit for spotting Poch here.

https://www.standard.co.uk/sport/football/revealed-how-scouting-philippe-coutinho-paved-the-way-for-mauricio-pochettinos-arrival-at-tottenham-a3240441.html

I imagine Reed, nic-nak and Mitchell where all involved. As the years pass and they relate the story they tend to airbrush the others out.

https://www.standard.co.uk/sport/football/revealed-how-scouting-philippe-coutinho-paved-the-way-for-mauricio-pochettinos-arrival-at-tottenham-a3240441.html

I imagine Reed, nic-nak and Mitchell where all involved. As the years pass and they relate the story they tend to airbrush the others out.

We had some giving Les Reed credit for signing Rickie Lambert. Despite being assistant manager on a voluntary basis at Bishop's Stortford FC in the Conference South at the time and joining SFC 9 months after Lambert signed.

:lol:

Both Puel and Pellegrino have got us playing uninspiring, goal shy football that values retaining possession in our half or the centre of the pitch over positive pressing, fast transition football of poch which I think everyone else preferred as it was a style we liked, appreciated and the players enjoyed.

Makes me laugh that Puel was told to change our style of football on the pitch otherwise he would be sacked.

That, he refused so what do we do next? Employ another boring****er.

We had some giving Les Reed credit for signing Rickie Lambert. Despite being assistant manager on a voluntary basis at Bishop's Stortford FC in the Conference South at the time and joining SFC 9 months after Lambert signed.

Are you being mischevious, Glasgow?

“We all put so much effort into tracking and profiling players all over Europe but never do it with coaches and managers,” Reed said.

“So we built up a data base of potential bosses.

Ctrl+Alt+Del might be needed.

He gets lucky with anything remotely positive to do with the club.

Agreed. The cult of Reed, and the things they claim he's done (a lot of which he wasn't even on the books at the time of doing) is very impressive.

Agreed. The cult of Reed, and the things they claim he's done (a lot of which he wasn't even on the books at the time of doing) is very impressive.

When Les Reed was born he drove his mom home from the hospital.

Les Reeds can kill two stones with one bird.

Les Reed can hear sign language.

Giraffes were created when Les Reed uppercutted a horse.

Les Reeds calendar goes straight from March 31st to April 2nd. No one fools Les Reed

Les Reeds dog is trained to pick up his own poop because Les will not take **** from anyone.

When Les Reed was born he drove his mom home from the hospital.

Les Reeds can kill two stones with one bird.

Les Reed can hear sign language.

Giraffes were created when Les Reed uppercutted a horse.

Les Reeds calendar goes straight from March 31st to April 2nd. No one fools Les Reed

Les Reeds dog is trained to pick up his own poop because Les will not take **** from anyone.

If he comes on here, he must read your s hyte...

Didn't Cortese say he spotted Poch after scouting some player and started getting info on him after That? Pretty sure Reed had nothing to do with his appointment.

As pointed out earlier who allegedly spotted Poch comes down to who is telling the story both uncle Les and Nik-nak have claimed the glory in their re-telling's of the story to show their scouting poweress both are far less keen to take the glory for spotting Gaston Ramierz, Emmanuel Mayuka and Tadanari Lee however ...

Didn't Cortese say he spotted Poch after scouting some player and started getting info on him after That? Pretty sure Reed had nothing to do with his appointment.

The comments from Mopo after Nic left + after he left for Spurs suggested he was here to work with Nic and not Les.

Does Les have a history of spin? https://www.saintsweb.co.uk/showthread.php?57741-Spin-Master-Reed

As pointed out earlier who allegedly spotted Poch comes down to who is telling the story both uncle Les and Nik-nak have claimed the glory in their re-telling's of the story to show their scouting poweress both are far less keen to take the glory for spotting Gaston Ramierz, Emmanuel Mayuka and Tadanari Lee however ...

Not sure what your point is exactly? If its the hobbit bought in some dire players then you are right. But lets not kid ourselves that Les' has not got some dire buys too. Classie, Hoj, Gardos, Duricic, Elia, Martina, Caulker, Juanmi, Pied and so on. Where as a lot of people would say Boufal and Redmond have been flops and its way too early to judge Hoedt and Bednarek (although I have seen Hoedt play a lot when he was at Lazio). That's the gamble of football. Some do well and some don't.

If the point is who found Poch then I would personally believe Cortese simply because him and Poch are good friends. Nobody 'found' him as such as he was a manager for a top flight team. But to me its clear it was Cortese who actively pushed to bring him here. Like I said I don't think Les had anything to do with that one.

Totally derailing this thread... But Poch and NC have both made it clear it was NC. Les Reed had little to do with it... and once NC was gone, so was Poch.

Its one of the top myths on here that Les Reed signed Poch, up there with Les Signing Jose and Lambert and being responsible for our promotion from League 1.

Anyway....

I still support MP, and think that the fans need to give him more time, and the team more support!!

Not sure what your point is exactly? If its the hobbit bought in some dire players then you are right. But lets not kid ourselves that Les' has not got some dire buys too. Classie, Hoj, Gardos, Duricic, Elia, Martina, Caulker, Juanmi, Pied and so on. Where as a lot of people would say Boufal and Redmond have been flops and its way too early to judge Hoedt and Bednarek (although I have seen Hoedt play a lot when he was at Lazio). That's the gamble of football. Some do well and some don't.

If the point is who found Poch then I would personally believe Cortese simply because him and Poch are good friends. Nobody 'found' him as such as he was a manager for a top flight team. But to me its clear it was Cortese who actively pushed to bring him here. Like I said I don't think Les had anything to do with that one.

Is exactly the point they both like to take credit for that one depending on who telling the story because Poch was a success that shows them in a good light. A lot of people like to credit Big Nic for stuff ,though, I have my doubts a Swiss banker, with no previous experience in football, actually had much idea what made a good manager as opposed Reed who had experience in football and helped the FA write its coaching manual. Having said that Nicky was obviously the one who sold Poch the dream of saints as some sort of CL super power.

Is exactly the point they both like to take credit for that one depending on who telling the story because Poch was a success that shows them in a good light. A lot of people like to credit Big Nic for stuff ,though, I have my doubts a Swiss banker, with no previous experience in football, actually had much idea what made a good manager as opposed Reed who had experience in football and helped the FA write its coaching manual. Having said that Nicky was obviously the one who sold Poch the dream of saints as some sort of CL super power.

To be honest, if we are going to have this discussion, since the day Cortese was forced out, the new board have been sure to undermine and criticise the job he did, and to take credit for everything good about it. I don't think I have heard him praised once since he left; which is ridiculous considering we are where we are because of NC and ML above all other people.

Its a sign of weak men when they try to take credit for, or undermine, the work of others.

The blunt reality is that whichever people head our current recruitment, they are the people responsible for where the club is football wise. The current manager is not responsible for the limited options he has in goal, or in attacking midfield. The entire fan-base has been pointing these weaknesses out for two seasons!

And despite all this, I still think the manager will sort it out (if he is given enough time)!

Yeah, nice mythical reworking of the actual cult on this forum - the fuc king drips who genuinely believe an Italian banking ponce in Cuban heels tottered into Staplewood and immediately identified Dean Hammond, Dan Harding and Radhi Jaidi as just the players to fit into the squad.

#footballman

#onetruecult

#hediditallyouknow

Saints fans need a reality check. Give the guy a fair chance to bed in sacking him now would be pointless. Do you think he is immediately going to make us a top 6 club...... We are a mid table team at best anything else is a bonus. People need to stick tampons back in and actually back our manger and get behind the players. I couldn't give a damm if we finish 16th..... If we are still in the prem who cares.

No one is complaining about our position we are complaining about the **** poor style this manager has brought which is exactly the same goal shy boring approach as Puel.

Shots:

2017/18: 118 (14.75/game)

2016/17: 550 (14.47/game)

2015/16: 519

2014/15: 509

2013/14: 534

2012/13: 516

https://www.premierleague.com/clubs/20/Southampton/stats?se=79

Funny that these 2 "goal shy boring" managers have our side taking more shots than the much loved Koeman and Poch (Admittedly Pellegrino hasn't played many tough sides yet so that'll fall). If only they had the same quality squad as their predecessors they could've achieved something.

Did you know under Puel last season we had our most shots in a PL game since 2003 (34 shots)?

Edited by Ultimatt

No one is complaining about our position we are complaining about the **** poor style this manager has brought which is exactly the same goal shy boring approach as Puel.

No this is worse than Puel the tail end of last season was **** but Puel's team at least looked organised and played some good stuff at times last season. This season we haven't even had that.

Yeah, nice mythical reworking of the actual cult on this forum - the fuc king drips who genuinely believe an Italian banking ponce in Cuban heels tottered into Staplewood and immediately identified Dean Hammond, Dan Harding and Radhi Jaidi as just the players to fit into the squad.

#footballman

#onetruecult

#hediditallyouknow

NC may not have signed those players, but neither did Reed.

pretty shocking the ammount of people wanting les reed gone, hasnt he done a great job leading us into europe twice and 4 consecutive top ten finishes?. also the recruitment compared to most other teams has been pretty great with mane van dijk etc..Lastly he is the football man at our club would you really want his successor being chosen by the likes of krueger or the gao family ?

Good win, full credit to the manager for changing things up, and good use of substitutes. Should probably be said, or do we only slag people off on saintsweb?
Full credit to the manager? The p###k should have started with him. He is so far out of his depth it is not funny. And bet boufal does not start next week based on his reaction after the game.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk