Pellegrino OUT

Batman

Kat has played a blinder, there's no doubt about it. I agree with Alps, she is shrewd and knew the best time to sell - just before our decline became obvious.

And yes, Kat was the reason for Cortese's departure. He wanted her to sell the club to someone who could fund it in a way that would have delivered on his plan. She took a more conservative route which unfortunately has meant losing our best players and managers ever since because their personal ambition is greater than that of the club. We will never know how it could have worked out, but my guess is we'd be in a better place financially and in terms of challenging under Cortese.

Do you remember how the pundits used to rave about Saints? The way we pressed, the beautiful football we played, the way the team played as a team, a desire to bring through good young talent, a desire to bring through English talent. We have lost our way. Where's the plan? The glue holding it all together? We just look like any old mid table Prem league team now - a collection of random players who may or may not be able to play together, panic buying and paying over the odds for average players from foreign leagues.

I think I will have Mark Hughes now. Desperate times.

Unfortunately it's got to the stage were you have to ask whether anyone could do a worse job? I'm sure MP is a nice man and is undoubtedly trying his best but it just hasn't worked out. We've won 4 games out of 25 and didn't win a single league game for the entirety of December and January...almost a third of the season without a win now. With that in mind you have to ask how anyone can believe that he can turn it around? Presently he reminds me of Steve Kean the season that Blackburn went down which isn't a great scenario....

Kat has played a blinder, there's no doubt about it. I agree with Alps, she is shrewd and knew the best time to sell - just before our decline became obvious.

And yes, Kat was the reason for Cortese's departure. He wanted her to sell the club to someone who could fund it in a way that would have delivered on his plan. She took a more conservative route which unfortunately has meant losing our best players and managers ever since because their personal ambition is greater than that of the club. We will never know how it could have worked out, but my guess is we'd be in a better place financially and in terms of challenging under Cortese.

Do you remember how the pundits used to rave about Saints? The way we pressed, the beautiful football we played, the way the team played as a team, a desire to bring through good young talent, a desire to bring through English talent. We have lost our way. Where's the plan? The glue holding it all together? We just look like any old mid table Prem league team now - a collection of random players who may or may not be able to play together, panic buying and paying over the odds for average players from foreign leagues.

I honestly think we have the players to play this lovely football again.

Only need to change the manager and let him have his system rather than the ‘Lesley’s Southampton Way.’

Get the better players on the pitch and the confidence will come back quickly.

Just don’t waste another game on Saturday sucking out what little confidence the players have right now with MP.

This will sound like heresy but Ms Liebherr needs to take some blame,selling 80% to someone never likely to take us forward but then telling us she had. She lied. #saintsfc

A word to the wise, when people sell you down the river they don't usually tell you that they've sold you down the river.......

This will sound like heresy but Ms Liebherr needs to take some blame,selling 80% to someone never likely to take us forward but then telling us she had. She lied. #saintsfc

Some of the Blame? I'd argue she has to take most of it.

She clearly has no interest in the club and only wanted to milk it as long as possible (rightly or wrongly).

She sold up to the first party interested.

She appointed extremely senior figures in the club without a CV to warrant it - Seriously, how has a hockey coach got the role of chairman at a PL club :lol:

I'm sorry but her Dad built a legacy, she has destroyed it (with help from those she's appointed). I hope her remaining 20% is worth **** all when we're dropping down to L1 again.

It's astonishing that having gone 12 games without a win, and being 25 games in with only 23 points, we are STILL not more than a win from safety. Honestly think it's going to need about 36 points to be safe this year at the rate everyone is going, if that!

The players need the fans behind them for 90 minutes, last night you could see the hesitancy because they didn't want to misplace a pass and receive 30,000 groans. But that absolutely will not happen whilst Pellegrino is still here. If a new manager walked through the door tomorrow, St Mary's would be rocking for his first game, and the bar is set so low that it really wouldn't even have to be anyone spectacular to achieve such a reaction! The board are in the easiest possible position right now, like it honestly could not be any worse than it is right now, all they have to do is bin off a manager that absolutely nobody wants, and replace him with someone who has even 5% of the tactical nous of an average Premier League manager. They can get the fans back on side at the drop of a hat, just ****ing do it you absolute ****ing idiots.

Yes indeed - what was the quote I remember from one of the journalists a few seasons back ... something like "a season ticket at St Mary's is one of football's glittering prizes" and now I suspect there are many who are wondering, survive or not, if they will renew their ST next season.

As for a new manager - anyone half-decent (say, Gordon Strachan or Mark Hughes or several others) must be champing at the bit to take over. The current squad have the talent but they lack any cohesion. Just a few tweaks here and there and a revert to the tactics of the blindingly obvious and the new manager would enter Saints history books as the guy who saved us from relegation. And if they were unsuccessful, well they took over too late, can't be blamed for what happened earlier.

Despite everything, we are still in with a good shout of surviving as long as we change things. Only 3 teams can go down and there are what, 8 or 9 in the mix. If the new manager gets us to stay up we can start thinking about glittering prizes again but if MP stays I can only fear the worst.

Ive been very supportive of the manager and felt he needs time. But my patience and support is severely tested with this sort of thing... (source: http://www.dailyecho.co.uk/sport/saints/15911210.Saints_need_West_Brom_win/).....

Pellegrino tried to shake things up against Brighton with a double change at half time and unusually played two strikers, but it didn’t quite work.

“Some time to put more offensive people doesn’t mean you will dominate or play better,” he reflected.

“I think we arrive much more easier in the first half than the second to the by-line.

“We cross three or four times and I thought maybe with Carrillo into the box will be important but at the same time we lose this connection between the line with Dusan.

ARE YOU KIDDING ME??!!!!!

He is attempting to justify his typically defensive substitutions with the comment that "more offensive people doesn’t mean you will dominate or play better" because "we arrive much more easier in the first half than the second to the by-line" but then recognises that " with Carrillo into the box will be important but at the same time we lose this connection between the line with Dusan"

??!!!!!???!!!!

THEN DON'T SUBSTITUTE TADIC YOU ABSOLUTE MORON. Take off Davis who was having a horrific game.

I would love to hear a logical explanation for this decision. But I cannot think of one.

TBH Tadic was awful too. They should both try moving forward and standing up occasionally. Boufal and Carillo should have been on from the start, but more than that - FAR MORE THAN THAT - they should have been told to go balls out for the win, attacking with pace. Everything stopped in the last third as usual as the players remembered their posession at all costs drill. If he doesn't go today that is it this time. 4-1 relegation odds on Betfair is good odds...

4 of the clubs record signings sat on the bench, Davis in the team again even though he's been pants in both the #10 role and the DM role, defensive set up against the worst away scorers in the league, playing players out of position again and again and again, trying to defend a lead as soon as it happens.

This clown has to go.

Edited by Shance

TBH Tadic was awful too. They should both try moving forward and standing up occasionally. Boufal and Carillo should have been on from the start, but more than that - FAR MORE THAN THAT - they should have been told to go balls out for the win, attacking with pace. Everything stopped in the last third as usual as the players remembered their posession at all costs drill. If he doesn't go today that is it this time. 4-1 relegation odds on Betfair is good odds...

5 minutes into the game and he got nudged over and laid on the floor waving his arms at the lino/ref asking for a foul whilst Brighton broke and Bertrand would've had 3 on 1 if they'd have picked the right pass. Tadic really does not have much credit with the fans, I wasn't at all surprised by the reaction to his substitution, his approach to the game is not particularly endearing.

There won't be a straw that breaks the camel's back, will there? Pellegrino should've been gone long ago. It's too late now.

Even if we win and move up a few places, it still doesn't justify just how awful it's been this year. Puel was terrible but this is a joke.

4 wins in 25 games with this squad proves he's not up to it.

His post-match comments encourage me. No - they really do.

We're growing as a team, which is nice. Although I think he's said that after every match thus far; in which case the team must be ****ing huge by now.

It's also encouraging that he realises we need to win at WBA.

What more can you ask of a top-flight manager?

I just want to march into Les Reed's office and shout repeatedly at him :

"He's worse than Wigley"

"Worse than Wigley"

"WORSE. THAN. WIGLEY"

"WORSETHANWIGLEY WORSETHANWIGLEY WORSETHANWIGLEY WORSETHANWIGLEY WORSETHANWIGLEY"

Continuing until security foreceably remove me from the premises. Maybe he doesn't realise?

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

I just want to march into Les Reed's office and shout repeatedly at him :

"He's worse than Wigley"

"Worse than Wigley"

"WORSE. THAN. WIGLEY"

"WORSETHANWIGLEY WORSETHANWIGLEY WORSETHANWIGLEY WORSETHANWIGLEY WORSETHANWIGLEY"

Continuing until security foreceably remove me from the premises. Maybe he doesn't realise?

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

He would only reply 'I wrote a book on coaching you know'

I honestly think that pellegrino is going nowhere, he’s not going to resign, why would he? He’d be a fool to walk away from a few mil, and I honestly believe that we are a bit of a poison chalice for any potential new man coming in, we can’t now spend any money until the summer, we can only loan ourselves out of trouble and any new manager that takes the job will just be another cheap option who will try to keep us up but will be happy to stay if we go down, or a manager that will want big money to try and keep us up but will only be on a short contract that lasts until the end of the season.

Are choices are limited, this should’ve been sorted before the transfer window opened and at least a new man would’ve been able to buy a couple of players that he wanted.

Unless of course they never wanted to spend money but that’s another story in itself.

I honestly think that pellegrino is going nowhere, he’s not going to resign, why would he? He’d be a fool to walk away from a few mil, and I honestly believe that we are a bit of a poison chalice for any potential new man coming in, we can’t now spend any money until the summer, we can only loan ourselves out of trouble and any new manager that takes the job will just be another cheap option who will try to keep us up but will be happy to stay if we go down, or a manager that will want big money to try and keep us up but will only be on a short contract that lasts until the end of the season.

Are choices are limited, this should’ve been sorted before the transfer window opened and at least a new man would’ve been able to buy a couple of players that he wanted.

Unless of course they never wanted to spend money but that’s another story in itself.

Thats the thing isn't it.

Perhaps there is some underlying issue or agenda at play? The club is starting to feel like it's rotting.

I am becoming ambivalent to the whole situation now. The board's unwillingness to take decisive action means we are sleepwalking into the most ridiculous relegation ever.

I am staggered at our transfer activity in January, and staggered that a woeful manager, who like an idiot makes the same mistakes week in week out, and is so obviously out of his depth, is still employed by the club.

There is not a chance in hell that the club will get any more of my hard-earned cash whilst Pellegrino is still in charge.

Strange to sign Carillo by time he's match fit,Austin will probably be fit again! Probably would have been better to sign a centre-back?

We had 2 winnable games, Brighton and West Brom. Didn't beat Brighton, if we don't win Saturday then time for Pellegrino to go? Bit surprised he didn't go when we lost to Palace. On such a bad run now.

Marco Silva available, lucky to have such a perfect choice available. He was unlucky at Watford, was doing really well until Everton unsettled him and screwed up the whole situation. With the squad we have, if we get Silva in quick then I reckon we will stay up.

can only believe that the club wanted 4 points this week after progressing through the FA Cup. we have 1 point.... now for the other 3...

that is me trying to square this circle as it just makes no sense as to not only why he was not sacked before Xmas but why he will go into the game on sat

Please please please can we go and get Koeman :( :( :( :( :( :( We've just signed a big CF like he would use, he will get us organised and give the attacking players a bit of freedom, maybe even get a win against a big side like we used to, and he gets to go to Goodison with a point to prove.

Jesus, what a bunch of wet fannies we have for so called supporters nowadays. Just get behind the team FFS. If worst comes to worst we we be relegated, maybe more than once. If playing Dogsh#t football in league 1 is the price for getting rid of 50/50 scarfs then it is a price worth paying.

Never question the club or the manager, just turn up, pay your 40 quid, and watch terrible football for an hour and a half, all the while clapping like a trained seal. Never, ever say the manager got it wrong, only fellow fans for not being as hardcore as you. Everyone knows the league table is basically an applause-o-meter.

Never look at the league table, form table, or winless run stats. Just be positive FFS, unless as previously mentioned, you're talking about fellow fans who don't adhere to your beliefs 100%.

COYS

Jesus, what a bunch of wet fannies we have for so called supporters nowadays. Just get behind the team FFS. If worst comes to worst we we be relegated, maybe more than once. If playing Dogsh#t football in league 1 is the price for getting rid of 50/50 scarfs then it is a price worth paying.

Never question the club or the manager, just turn up, pay your 40 quid, and watch terrible football for an hour and a half, all the while clapping like a trained seal. Never, ever say the manager got it wrong, only fellow fans for not being as hardcore as you. Everyone knows the league table is basically an applause-o-meter.

Never look at the league table, form table, or winless run stats. Just be positive FFS, unless as previously mentioned, you're talking about fellow fans who don't adhere to your beliefs 100%.

COYS

the troll is strong with this one hahhaa

Pride comes before a fall - that's the only explanation I can come up with.

Les have publicly said (not in so many words) that he doesn't believe in sacking managers after 6 months in a job. I'm almost certain that this is why he has not been sacked - no other reason.

Results and overall performances have not improved all season. I think I could probably only think of one game this season where we have played well from start to finish (against a very very sh!te Everton).

Les is letting his personal ego get in the way of, to me, a pretty simple business decision. For that reason alone he should go as well.

COYS

Funny you should say about clapping. At the final whistle last night some people were applauding the players. Umm, Why ?

Did they only wander in it half time ?

Les have publicly said (not in so many words) that he doesn't believe in sacking managers after 6 months in a job. I'm almost certain that this is why he has not been sacked - no other reason.

Results and overall performances have not improved all season. I think I could probably only think of one game this season where we have played well from start to finish (against a very very sh!te Everton).

Les is letting his personal ego get in the way of, to me, a pretty simple business decision. For that reason alone he should go as well.

Were Brighton any better than that Everton team?

COYS

I had quite a strong word with some absolute weapon near me in the Northam last night. Been going for a few years, thinks he's the main man and the best supporter ever. Him and some idiot in front of him started shouting "come on for f***s sake get behind the team. What kind of b*llocks supporters are you" and after this had happened a few times I politely reminded him that actually we were being given nothing to shout about on the pitch. Hopping that if we do drop down he'll bog off and stop annoying everyone around him with his excessive solo loud clapping and singing on his own.

Thought this point was relevant when I started writing it.....think it's lost its' way.

Funny you should say about clapping. At the final whistle last night some people were applauding the players. Umm, Why ?

Did they only wander in it half time ?

I couldn't get this, a lot of people around me in Northam were.

Kinda shows what wet fans we have, at other clubs that kinda performance wouldn't have fans clapping off the players.

People need to start showing theyre not happy

COYS

There is so much Irony in this post.

Basically moaning about people clapping because they want to get behind the team because they don't have the same view as you and don't want to get involved in your little twitter protests? Some people want to boo and others want to get behind the team. Who the **** are you to tell them otherwise?

There is so much Irony in this post.

Basically moaning about people clapping because they want to get behind the team because they don't have the same view as you and don't want to get involved in your little twitter protests? Some people want to boo and others want to get behind the team. Who the **** are you to tell them otherwise?

Lol! I think whoosh is the appropriate word here...

I don't wholly blame him, he seems like a decent enough guy personally.

But he is clearly operating above his capability and only one person can solve that problem and that's bloody slow coach Les! The most indecisive man in Christendom!!

It is towards Les the disapprobation should be directed, and not the guy he put there.

Silva is definitely not the answer.

Agree, he is little better than Pell in my opinion with the added extra of a ****e attitude.

As Rodgers or Rowett will not be available for persuasion until the summer we need somebody who knows this league well, and of those available it has to be Hughes.