Pellegrino OUT

Batman

An insider who, as I recall, seemed to get 'leaks' from Les Reed or someone very close to him. Perhaps Reed wants to have the option to shift the blame for Pellegrino's sacking onto the fans just in case it turns out to be a bad decision. That way, rather than admitting he's got another appointment wrong, he can say he was just trying to keep the fans happy. Old Les seems to be very good at setting up scapegoats to take the blame when things go wrong whilst he loves to get in front of the cameras to appear wholly responsible when things go right. How many of the players and managers he's seen off in the last few years have left us with their reputations intact? They were all greedy, bigheaded b@stards, weren't they? Meanwhile, none of the blame for their departures was ever attached to Old Les ;)

Jayrod and Lambert went with no tainting of their character.

Did you think Lallana and Fonte should have been given red carpet out of the training ground?

Edited by Give it to Ron

If I was going to spend that sort of money then I might have done a bit more due diligence on what I was buying.

My fear is that Gao doesn't know what hes bought, but he just thought he ought to get one of those football clubs that have been so popular with other Chinese investors.

I hope he understood what relegation means as well, as he wouldn't be the first new club owner not to have fully understood the implications.

Nothing he has done so far fills me with any sort of confidence for the future.

He really hasn't done anything yet. It's a bit dramatic to say noticing he has done fills you with confidence. Depressed of Shirley indeed.

An insider who, as I recall, seemed to get 'leaks' from Les Reed or someone very close to him. Perhaps Reed wants to have the option to shift the blame for Pellegrino's sacking onto the fans just in case it turns out to be a bad decision. That way, rather than admitting he's got another appointment wrong, he can say he was just trying to keep the fans happy. Old Les seems to be very good at setting up scapegoats to take the blame when things go wrong whilst he loves to get in front of the cameras to appear wholly responsible when things go right. How many of the players and managers he's seen off in the last few years have left us with their reputations intact? They were all greedy, bigheaded b@stards, weren't they? Meanwhile, none of the blame for their departures was ever attached to Old Les ;)

I can confirm this was 100% my idea and nothing to do with Les Reed. Indeed, as the man who signed off on both Puel and Pellegrino, you'd have to decide for yourself if Reed should stay given that Black, Watson, and the in some people's eyes the recruitment committee must go as well, and he had a hand in setting them up at the club.

I simply used the Hashtag #PellegrinoMustGo (and will be again on Sunday morning for Sunday Supplement/MOTD2 Extra/5Live) is that anyone so inclined towards the view the manager must go can agree on that short, succinct statement.

As soon as you start including other names and putting them forth as the views of all fans, you are making the mistake that the 'Mr Goa' letter writer did yesterday.

K Billy and myself have had several animated conversations on this subject, I imagine we will have several more!

He really hasn't done anything yet. It's a bit dramatic to say noticing he has done fills you with confidence. Depressed of Shirley indeed.

Heard from someone who has contacts at the club that the new owner is not likely to (as in not going to) invest anything in the football side of the SFC and has purchased us for other business reasons.

Heard from someone who has contacts at the club that the new owner is not likely to (as in not going to) invest anything in the football side of the SFC and has purchased us for other business reasons.
Quite possible but nothing he has done yet can be a particular cause for concern as he hasn't actually done anything yet.

or maybe it doesn't...

Statistics show sackings rarely save teams from 'fate worse than death'

https://www.theguardian.com/football/football-management-blog/2014/feb/21/football-managers-sackings-premier-league

Does it make statistical sense to sack a football manager?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-23724517

The myth of the new manager effect

https://www.pinnacle.com/en/betting-articles/Soccer/the-myth-of-the-new-manager-effect/BAZ2FQLS2QCBJ795

Is that not because in general teams are able to attract a certain calibre of manager, who is unlikely to be that much better than the previous one? Take the West Brom job - names mentioned are Pardew, Allardyce, Koeman, O'Neill, Shakespeare. While I think Allardyce would be the 'safest' bet for avoiding relegation, is he likely to get them finishing in the top half? They're all much of a muchness.

What if our manager is below average quality and we could find a good quality one to replace him? Doesn't "regression to the mean" mean our fate has already been decided regardless?

He hasn't bought us to get relegated.

If he has bought us to try and get development rights to the surrounding area of St. Marys, does it really matter what league we are in?

I'd imagine those types of development would not be reliant on the visits of 20k - 30k football fans 19 times a season.

Quite possible but nothing he has done yet can be a particular cause for concern as he hasn't actually done anything yet.

The very fact he hasn't done anything is a cause for concern. Some form of statement about his positive future plans for the club wouldn't go amiss.

The very fact he hasn't done anything is a cause for concern. Some form of statement about his positive future plans for the club wouldn't go amiss.
Of course it wouldn't go amiss but no point worrying about a lack of statement. We have no idea either positive or negative what he is going to do yet and I'm frankly fed up with empty words from the club.

Of course it wouldn't go amiss but no point worrying about a lack of statement. We have no idea either positive or negative what he is going to do yet and I'm frankly fed up with empty words from the club.

It's a fair shout that any statement would need to be backed up with actions at a later date and couldn't be trusted until it was.

Ralph stated in Aug that the club would soon give an update on future investment plans. This is well overdue, which could be a major cause for concern.

Because it was bullsh!t and the longer you leave it, the hope is that people forget. Easy when you’re a regular company, not so much when people care passionately about their team and what goes on with the people who are the current people running he clib

then the bluster from KAt and Ralph that the club needs investment to go the next step and the deal secures it actually meant to step backwards , we all just assumed they meant upwards, can't see the logic in loosing £150M on a club especially as they borrowed it

If he has bought us to try and get development rights to the surrounding area of St. Marys, does it really matter what league we are in?

I'd imagine those types of development would not be reliant on the visits of 20k - 30k football fans 19 times a season.

He's clearly not done that has he. Just bought us for the same reasons all the other far eastern businessmen have bought English clubs.

He's clearly not done that has he. Just bought us for the same reasons all the other far eastern businessmen have bought English clubs.
Don't ruin it, we'll get all the Jackson's Farm theories coming out in a minute.

Spoiler alert: if a billionaire wants to develop brownfield land in Southampton they don't need to buy the football club to do it.

I can confirm this was 100% my idea and nothing to do with Les Reed. Indeed, as the man who signed off on both Puel and Pellegrino, you'd have to decide for yourself if Reed should stay given that Black, Watson, and the in some people's eyes the recruitment committee must go as well, and he had a hand in setting them up at the club.

I simply used the Hashtag #PellegrinoMustGo (and will be again on Sunday morning for Sunday Supplement/MOTD2 Extra/5Live) is that anyone so inclined towards the view the manager must go can agree on that short, succinct statement.

As soon as you start including other names and putting them forth as the views of all fans, you are making the mistake that the 'Mr Goa' letter writer did yesterday.

K Billy and myself have had several animated conversations on this subject, I imagine we will have several more!

Thank you for clarifying that, Guan. I always find your posts interesting.

Not a big fan of MP2, in fact I am seriously disappointed in spite of last Sunday's improvement BUT I am off the idea of replacing him. If one of Pardew, Big Fat Sam, Moyes all old names being recycled yet again had come we would have been worse off. If that is the level of alternatives, let's stick.

didnt you say there was no chance Big Sam will go to everton as he has retired?

No. big Sam said himself he had no interest in another PL job

Alladyce Statement

“I have no ambitions to take another job”.

“I want to be able to savour life while I am still relatively young, and when I am still relatively healthy enough to do all the things I want to do, like travel, spend more time with my family and grandchildren without the huge pressure that comes with being a football manager.

“This is the right time for me. I simply want to be able to enjoy all the things you cannot really enjoy with the 24/7 demands of managing any football club, let alone one in the Premier League.”

It was all in the article I linked to at the time...i guess he found 6 million reasons to change his mind.

Still think we have decent players mainly out of form and not much the manager is going to do about that.

That is a managers job. Not sure why you don't think that is in his remit.

We previously had better players, recruitment players are the biggest failure IMO, we stopped finding gems in the transfer market.

Why have you decided the likes of recent buys like... Lemina, Hoedt, Hojbjerg, Gabbiadini & Boufal aren't good buys? :?

No. big Sam said himself he had no interest in another PL job

Alladyce Statement

“I have no ambitions to take another job”.

“I want to be able to savour life while I am still relatively young, and when I am still relatively healthy enough to do all the things I want to do, like travel, spend more time with my family and grandchildren without the huge pressure that comes with being a football manager.

“This is the right time for me. I simply want to be able to enjoy all the things you cannot really enjoy with the 24/7 demands of managing any football club, let alone one in the Premier League.”

It was all in the article I linked to at the time...i guess he found 6 million reasons to change his mind.

of course he will distance himself to a job he (at the time) was not going to get

2ad9b1b56ef319952309a1b5faa50dcb.jpg

Allardyce will keep them up

And that's clearly why he has been hired. If you hire Red Adair, likelihood is you have, or expect to have, a fire!

All that talk of challenging for the EPL winners slot... six months later, they're calling for the emergency services.

£6M salary to Allardyce plus they are probably funding the £2M compensation payment to Palace. Guess they have costed out the effect of relegation!

Yeah I don't think he got it right today.

Having seen both Hoj and Lemina play well in the last two games, he reverts to a CDM pairing that we know doesn't work very well with Davis.

It's taken him almost half a season to work out that Redmond and Tadic are more effective when you play them on their preferred sides.

This constantly rotating Hoedt and Yoshi is just insane. It's obvious that Yoshida is the better player so why keep leaving him out? Hoedt cost us badly today.

Realistically, we should have beaten Bournemouth today. But due to setting up all wrong from the start we gave them the whole first half and were lucky to be only 1-0 down at the break.

Two decent performances in the last week, and the manager learns nothing from them. Poor stuff really.

Thought he got the team selection wrong today. We are far too negative when both JWP and Davis are playing in the same team. We lacked control in central midfield, especially in the first half. One of Lemina or Hojbjerg should have been in there. At least he pulled Ward-Prowse off at half time, which certainly improved us.

Bunch of wetties on here as fans you are embarrassing get behind the team for duck sakes.....

How is your comment anything at all to do with MP out ?

If you don’t agree then specifically state why unless you have nothing to say ... Have an opinion that doesn’t claim you are behind the team more than those who do because let me sssure you the embarrassment is all yours.

You would attract more respect if you actually had something to say...

How is your comment anything at all to do with MP out ?

If you don’t agree then specifically state why unless you have nothing to say ... Have an opinion that doesn’t claim you are behind the team more than those who do because let me sssure you the embarrassment is all yours.

You would attract more respect if you actually had something to say...

I agree. Some people seem to think that not to show unconditional support for a football team is a challenge to your manhood.

The mantra "get behind your team ffs" is lemming like. Support them yes but that doesn't mean you can't criticise when its needed.