Pellegrino OUT

Batman

Wonder if we've gone back to Tuchel recently?

He hasn't picked up another job and there don't seem to be many PL ones in the offing.

You almost hope that getting passed over for the Bayern Munich job changed his attitude but it seems unrealistic to me. I wonder if Everton tried to get him.

Ok, I am joining the MoPo out brigade. Get Big Sam in before it’s too late.

What's he going to improve? Sign a big bloke up top with no resale value for extortionate money, stand all the midfielders we know can't shoot in the most efficient positions on the edge of the box and watch them continue to fail to hit the target...

...is it purely a motivational thing?

Because the longer term damage of rapidly veering off the established development path for a short term fix could be far worse than just switching tactics or focus internally for a few months, or trying some different coaches.

Much as I think the problem is Les' complacency, the solution is not Allardyce in any way, shape or form.

In the next live game we need to all get a white hanky and wave it booing like the Spanish do when they are unhappy with the manager and need a change...if its on TV with the pundits and commentators talking about it, it will be so embarrassing for the club they will have to do something.

I remember when this was mooted for Pochettino's arrival, to show the displeasure at Adkins' sacking. The club judged that the supposed protest was not enough of a risk to prevent them re-stocking the hand towels in the loos, and they were right...

Incidentally the only thing that would be embarrassing there would be the people waving the hankies.

What's he going to improve? Sign a big bloke up top with no resale value for extortionate money, stand all the midfielders we know can't shoot in the most efficient positions on the edge of the box and watch them continue to fail to hit the target...

Because the longer term damage of rapidly veering off the established development path for a short term fix could be far worse than just switching tactics or focus internally for a few months, or trying some different coaches.

Much as I think the problem is Les' complacency, the solution is not Allardyce in any way, shape or form.

You realise that relegation would likely be more damaging than hiring Big Sam right? If we go down (which, IMO, we could easily do with MP) I wouldn’t be at all confident that we’d come back up if we continued our current approach. Even in the Championship there would be teams spending more money than we do now on players..!

Is that just gobbledygook for the Southampton Way?

You realise that relegation would likely be more damaging than hiring Big Sam right? If we go down (which, IMO, we could easily do with MP) I wouldn’t be at all confident that we’d come back up if we continued our current approach. Even in the Championship there would be teams spending more money than we do now on players..!

Agreed it is a nightmare scenario financially, but other than that aspect not so bad. My preference would be to bob about mid table although anything 17th upwards is fine.

What's he going to improve?.

A manager who's never been relegated with a proven track record of turning round teams who are performing badly, getting worse, looking like they may well go down and preventing them from going down? Yeah, what could he possibly improve.

A manager who's never been relegated with a proven track record of turning round teams who are performing badly, getting worse, looking like they may well go down and preventing them from going down? Yeah, what could he possibly improve.

So people don't care about entertaining football any more its all about battling for survival?

So people don't care about entertaining football any more its all about battling for survival?

No, but in the short term it's about staying in this league. Non-entertaining football ( if indeed that is what we were to get if we happened to employ him - ask Palace fans if they were entertained by their 3 nil win over Arsenal last season) with decent results is immeasurably preferable to the (excruciatingly) non-entertaining cack with poor results we've been served up this season and a lot of last.

At least one available manager will be going to WBA, possibly Allardyce, but the silver lining is that a Pulis has become available. Also, someone called Pardew apparently wants to return to the Premier League. Oh! and Koeman is a free agent. Seriously, Pellegrino not working out is no reason to think the club doesn’t have a potential target but I hope they don’t waste any more time.

If we’re going for an previous manager we should have a poll.

Koeman, Adkins, Pardew or Strachan?

I think Strachan did a decent job with the Jocks considering what a shower of ****e he had to work with plus he would put a rocket up the arse of a few of our players. We would also get decent post match interviews to keep the mongs on here happy.

Matt Le Tiss is getting a narky and suggesting that fans in general (obviously meaning saints fans) have become spoilt brats, we have over achieved and the manager should be given more time than 12 games. Says too many players out of form to challenge the big boys.

He’s joking right?

Matt Le Tiss is getting a narky and suggesting that fans in general (obviously meaning saints fans) have become spoilt brats, we have over achieved and the manager should be given more time than 12 games. Says too many players out of form to challenge the big boys.

He’s joking right?

He'd be the first one to say that the board should have acted sooner if we get relegated with Pellegrino the clown still in charge at the end of the season.

I think Strachan did a decent job with the Jocks considering what a shower of ****e he had to work with plus he would put a rocket up the arse of a few of our players. We would also get decent post match interviews to keep the mongs on here happy.

Strachan doesn't have a big enough reputation apparently for our international mega stars

He’s joking right?

He's tripped over himself. On one hand he's says 12 games not enough yet on the other hand he wants a formation change which hasn't been forthcoming from pellegrino. If manager not willing to change it up then why should we give him time when there is zero optimism in how we have played this season bar utd game?

Sent from my SM-A300FU using Tapatalk

He’s joking right?

He's right that he should be given more time. But, unfortunately we all know it is merely prolonging the inevitable.

He is hopeless.

He’s joking right?

I would usually agree but the fact is our utterly abject performances, his "tactics", and his post and pre-match witterings mark him out as as a man so far out of his depth that to call for his head after 12 games is more the act a Good Samaritan than a spoilt brat.

I would usually agree but the fact is our utterly abject performances, his "tactics", and his post and pre-match witterings mark him out as as a man so far out of his depth that to call for his head after 12 games is more the act a Good Samaritan than a spoilt brat.

Its a bit odd as MLT has been less than forthcoming in his defence of MP on Soccer Saturday.

There isn't arf some b l l o x spouted on this site by our fans with gross sense of entitlement. Spoilt brats sums up a whole load people who post on here!

b l l o x. If you think the bloke's good enough fill your boots. Most don't. They are entitled to say so, and it doesn't make them spoilt brats.

There isn't arf some b l l o x spouted on this site by our fans with gross sense of entitlement. Spoilt brats sums up a whole load people who post on here!

I don't really get this view/line of argument. Why is it entitled to want your team to do better? Were Sunderland fans "entitled" when they wanted Moyes sacked? What about West Brom fans when they wanted Pulis out? It's hardly just Saints fans is it? With Pellegrino, the overwhelming consensus (on here and in and around the ground, from my experience at least) is that he isn't the right man and we are on a downward spiral which could even result in relegation. We've got the 5th/6th most expensive season tickets in the entire division yet we've delivered a shockingly low number of goals in almost a season and a half's worth of home games and are statistically the worst value for money. Not surprising that a few are expressing their displeasure.

I'm not sure whether you attend St Mary's on a regular basis, if you do and are happy with the way the team are performing then fair play, but don't try and make out that those that aren't happy at what's going on are "entitled" and that you are some how superior by being content with us being (at best) mediocre.

I don't really get this view/line of argument. Why is it entitled to want your team to do better? Were Sunderland fans "entitled" when they wanted Moyes sacked? What about West Brom fans when they wanted Pulis out? It's hardly just Saints fans is it? With Pellegrino, the overwhelming consensus (on here and in and around the ground, from my experience at least) is that he isn't the right man and we are on a downward spiral which could even result in relegation. We've got the 5th/6th most expensive season tickets in the entire division yet we've delivered a shockingly low number of goals in almost a season and a half's worth of home games and are statistically the worst value for money. Not surprising that a few are expressing their displeasure.

I'm not sure whether you attend St Mary's on a regular basis, if you do and are happy with the way the team are performing then fair play, but don't try and make out that those that aren't happy at what's going on are "entitled" and that you are some how superior by being content with us being (at best) mediocre.

well said

Perfect response. Very sensible and articulate.

Especially you it would seem, as you think you are somehow better than a whole load of people who post on here. I very much doubt that you are. You also seem to have a sense of entitlement that you are so superior you can insult everybody else.

The only reason I’m personally not in the Pellegrino Out camp is that the problem for me is largely with the way the football part of SFC business is run. He has had to use coaches he didn’t appoint, players he didn’t have a say in buying, an academy that is no longer producing players good enough for the first team, a DoF (sorry, Vice Chairman for Football) who has overseen the purchase of more defenders when we were absolutely crying out for creative and attacking players, and a core of players who since Koeman has left have lost their motivation to play for the club, probably because the ambition that they were sold it on has all it gone. Something is clearly just not right at the club overall and Pellegrino will be just another fall guy for the ineptitude that is the club’s football leadership right now. Maybe he is not the right man for the job as far as our situation needs but the board put him there after all their brilliant due diligence, just as they did with Puel who was unsuitable too. How long can he obvious individual be blamed whilst the people who put him there and have given him average tools to do the job skulk away in the shadows without saying a word?

I’m trying to get it all sorted in my head:

Board: poor recruitment recently, giving out extended contracts to average/underperforming players, creating a culture of expectation through the promotion of the ‘Southampton Way’ and the Black Box’ as well as many ‘we do things differently’ self congratulatory statements.

Pellegrino: continues to play players who underperform, not trying something different (eg formation), some baffling substitutions, no distinct style, no improvements that I can see in playing style/performances, odd post match comments which seem to state performances are good.

It seems to me both the board and manager have weaknesses and have had a hand in the current situation we find ourselves. I wondered whether a change of manager could of improve anything as the players would stay the same. However, I feel I’ve listed enough issues with the manager that could be improved. I feel the squad is fairly average but other managers have got more out of some of these players. For that reason I conclude the manager needs to go.

The only reason I’m personally not in the Pellegrino Out camp is that the problem for me is largely with the way the football part of SFC business is run. He has had to use coaches he didn’t appoint, players he didn’t have a say in buying, an academy that is no longer producing players good enough for the first team, a DoF (sorry, Vice Chairman for Football) who has overseen the purchase of more defenders when we were absolutely crying out for creative and attacking players, and a core of players who since Koeman has left have lost their motivation to play for the club, probably because the ambition that they were sold it on has all it gone. Something is clearly just not right at the club overall and Pellegrino will be just another fall guy for the ineptitude that is the club’s football leadership right now. Maybe he is not the right man for the job as far as our situation needs but the board put him there after all their brilliant due diligence, just as they did with Puel who was unsuitable too. How long can he obvious individual be blamed whilst the people who put him there and have given him average tools to do the job skulk away in the shadows without saying a word?

What you are saying would correctly apply to Puel last season. But this season we have a manager who is doing far worse with a stronger squad and no midweek European matches. Just like Gray and Wigley, it's clear MP is out of his depth.

So would Pearson, and I'd put him ahead of all of them. Not sure he'd leave his Belgian club though.

Board: poor recruitment recently, giving out extended contracts to average/underperforming players, creating a culture of expectation through the promotion of the ‘Southampton Way’ and the Black Box’ as well as many ‘we do things differently’ self congratulatory statements.

Pellegrino: continues to play players who underperform, not trying something different (eg formation), some baffling substitutions, no distinct style, no improvements that I can see in playing style/performances, odd post match comments which seem to state performances are good.

It seems to me both the board and manager have weaknesses and have had a hand in the current situation we find ourselves. I wondered whether a change of manager could of improve anything as the players would stay the same. However, I feel I’ve listed enough issues with the manager that could be improved. I feel the squad is fairly average but other managers have got more out of some of these players. For that reason I conclude the manager needs to go.

He doesn't have much choice there. Behind those players are even worse players several of the backs up played in the U23s game against Fulham the other and lost if they can't even perform at that level what hope have we got.

Well, the budget has apparently not improved after the Gao takeover, in case Les was considering giving Tuchel another go.

How do you know what budget is or will be in place? Be real the owner will not want to loose a large chunk of his investment for the sake of a few million!

Out of interest. Say MoPe does what the majority want and goes 3 at the back and 2 upfront and the team presses like a cider making machine on overdrive for the next few games but the results are still ****? Do people still want him sacked? At what point do we start to question the state of the squad rather than just the manager?

And why are they all in bad form? 1 or 2, it happens. Most the squad? Sorry but the manager's job is organising a team and getting them on form. He's changed things so often, had players out of position, in and out the team, and people use the loss of form to DEFEND him?!

Tadic is the biggest problem. Our main creator, a decent left winger and while frustrating, he proved he could be a good player under Koeman...playing on the left. There he can go outside and cross, which created a lot of goals, he can use Bertrand on the overlap which was always a threat, and he can cut in and look for a pass. He'd also minimise his opportunities to shoot. Like most, Tadic has an ego and thought he could be a no10. Puel put him there and he was absolutely dire. He can no longer cross, only uses his left foot, doesn't want to shoot and becomes easy to defend against. We've seen him central and right this season. Yes some of it is Puel's fault but MP picks him, plays him out of position and doesn't change it despite being consistently awful.

Boufal - has never had a run of games in the no10 role. Has the odd start in a wide role focused on defensive duties then gets dropped for players like Redmond or Long who've done nothing to warrant returning to the team. Boufal can use both feet, pass, shoot and is hard to defend against central.

Gabbiadini - easy to say out of form from the outside, the reality is he runs and runs and doesn't get the ball. He's become a frustrated figure chasing lost causes.

Without doubt the thickest thing I see on here, twitter, football phone ins etc is 'changing the manager won't change anything'. It's like they've paid no attention to a football season before. If you think the manager is getting the best out of their squad, produced a coherent team, good team spirit and playing to potential, then clearly you wouldn't want them sacked. They'd be doing a good job right? So someone else could come in and make it worse? It's almost like the managerial role is actually really important to success and player/team performance. So why the hell wouldn't that work the other way round?There are bad managers and bad fits for clubs. Bewildering anyone thinks there isn't another manager who could get more from this squad when form, performances and team spirit are at rock bottom. I guess these people think Burnley are just a squad of highly talented superstars any manager would have high up in the table right? Nothing to do with good management.

They aren't in bad form they're just ****ing average.. the best players were sold and replaced with sub-standard ones a new manager might improve them a bit but bar four players (Lemina, Romeu, Betrand and VVD and the last two are just phoning it in until they get a big money move) the team is full of very average PL players good enough for lower mid table.

Out of interest. Say MoPe does what the majority want and goes 3 at the back and 2 upfront and the team presses like a cider making machine on overdrive for the next few games but the results are still ****? Do people still want him sacked? At what point do we start to question the state of the squad rather than just the manager?

The squad is clearly unbalanced. Solid back four, but no real goalscorers apart from Gabbiadini, and he never gets the ball. Plus a goalkeeper who is out of form - convinced that other teams have sussed this and deliberately shoot low.

But I still think that a better manager could get more out of the squad - certainly get them more motivated and working together. Thing is, I really have no idea who would come here.

He’s joking right?

He obviously hasn't sat through all the games this season.

Very sensible and balanced, and I agree with your conclusion

Pellegrino: continues to play players who underperform, not trying something different (eg formation), some baffling substitutions (like for like, fresh legs only, not a change), no distinct style, no improvements that I can see in playing style/performances, odd post match comments which seem to state performances are good.

A very good summary. Hard to know which to address first, or in January. The manager we can change now, the players have to be deferred to January. Do we change the manager in the hope he can enliven the players? Or do we leave MoPe in the job and have a mass swap-out of the players in Jan? Maybe we bring in a new manager now and see if he can enliven the players (maybe tell them they are facing the chop in Jan if they don't play for the shirt) and any not performing are sold and replaced in Jan?

Critical couple of months now until end of Jan.

Do you even think we would attempt that going by what you have seen?

We will stick with the rigid 4-5-60 yards and Tadic doing bugger all but waving his arms, Redmond moaning at Bertand, Gabbi making good runs but no-one spotting , Forster playing like one of those Windsock arm wavers and Hoedt/Yosh rotated again.

To answer your question I want the back room staff changed as much as I want Pellegrino gone they are as bad if not worse.

Do you even think we would attempt that going by what you have seen?

We will stick with the rigid 4-5-60 yards and Tadic doing bugger all but waving his arms, Redmond moaning at Bertand, Gabbi making good runs but no-one spotting , Forster playing like one of those Windsock arm wavers and Hoedt/Yosh rotated again.

To answer your question I want the back room staff changed as much as I want Pellegrino gone they are as bad if not worse.

Good post.

There is no point in just changing the Manager, the problem goes much much deeper.

You cannot have a new Manager and retain your first team coaching staff, that can never work and hasn’t blatantly for our last two Managers....

Admittedly Black was brought in with Puel but even that was particularly strange decision errrr just to translate? Anyone could have done that. Black was imposed on Puel and MP....

Ultimately Reed has a lot to answer for, his time is over here now....

Adkins could fill that role admirably and with much more skill...

So four people need to go if one goes....

Black, Reed, the pathetic goalkeeping ‘coach’ and MP in order of priority probably....

Without doubt the thickest thing I see on here, twitter, football phone ins etc is 'changing the manager won't change anything'.

It evidently does which is why I'm fascinated by the fact that an reliable ITKer who obviously has close links with the club tried to get us trending on Twitter to get Pellegrino out.

How do you know what budget is or will be in place? Be real the owner will not want to loose a large chunk of his investment for the sake of a few million!

Yep! Isn't there an old saying, don't chuck good money after Bad? Gao might already be thinking that he's already made one very bad investment in getting conned by the Liebherr's to er "take a stake" in SFC. So OK then, no problem I'll chuck in another £70m quid in the hope things improve?

Yeah, right! Do me a favour!

Yep! Isn't there an old saying, don't chuck good money after Bad? Gao might already be thinking that he's already made one very bad investment in getting conned by the Liebherr's to er "take a stake" in SFC. So OK then, no problem I'll chuck in another £70m quid in the hope things improve?

How about you have to speculate to accumulate?

It evidently does which is why I'm fascinated by the fact that an reliable ITKer who obviously has close links with the club tried to get us trending on Twitter to get Pellegrino out.

or maybe it doesn't...

Statistics show sackings rarely save teams from 'fate worse than death'

https://www.theguardian.com/football/football-management-blog/2014/feb/21/football-managers-sackings-premier-league

Does it make statistical sense to sack a football manager?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-23724517

The myth of the new manager effect

https://www.pinnacle.com/en/betting-articles/Soccer/the-myth-of-the-new-manager-effect/BAZ2FQLS2QCBJ795

Also very interesting that K Billy is very much against sacking the manager.

Some sort of ITK good cop bad cop strategy??

If I was going to spend that sort of money then I might have done a bit more due diligence on what I was buying.

My fear is that Gao doesn't know what hes bought, but he just thought he ought to get one of those football clubs that have been so popular with other Chinese investors.

I hope he understood what relegation means as well, as he wouldn't be the first new club owner not to have fully understood the implications.

Nothing he has done so far fills me with any sort of confidence for the future.

An insider who, as I recall, seemed to get 'leaks' from Les Reed or someone very close to him. Perhaps Reed wants to have the option to shift the blame for Pellegrino's sacking onto the fans just in case it turns out to be a bad decision. That way, rather than admitting he's got another appointment wrong, he can say he was just trying to keep the fans happy. Old Les seems to be very good at setting up scapegoats to take the blame when things go wrong whilst he loves to get in front of the cameras to appear wholly responsible when things go right. How many of the players and managers he's seen off in the last few years have left us with their reputations intact? They were all greedy, bigheaded b@stards, weren't they? Meanwhile, none of the blame for their departures was ever attached to Old Les ;)