Pellegrino OUT

Batman

"Sorry love I just wanted to blow my load immediately!" :******:
I don't think anybody could 'blow their load' quickly watching Saints at present. The foreplay would entail taking your trousers off, putting them on again, taking them off again, before deciding that the was somebody better placed behind you,and then missing the open goal at the final moment

Really? I must be reading different posts to you on this forum 90% on here where desperate for Puel to get the elbow. Also the word on the street is Les was happy for Puel to carry on if he tweaked the style of Football Puel said no and walked...

I don't know about 90%, but yes a significant number wanted him gone. I think word on the street it was a number of unhappy players who were the main reason he was sacked (with maybe the fans being the straw on the camel's back).

Is Pelligrino a top manager then? We don't appoint those, we get the ones who may become so

No, he blatantly isn't a top manager, but I do think he could become one. I think he is a very good coach though, which is probably part of the problem, in that he may well be one of those people who could be a great number 2, but not quite so cut out to be a number 1.

Also, I think we did miss the boat in the summer, when I think there was a chance to appoint, at least, more of a name manager. There had been talk of Tuchel, Pellegrini (I still get confused, doesn't take much), Mancini, who I think would all have potentially been attracted here, as we would the best post available in England at the time. But now we have Pellegrino (not 'i') we have to give him a real chance.

All the cliches are coming out again! No one wants us to play like Barcelona, they would like us to be a bit more attacking though and more prepared to take risks. Some may have questioned our formation also considering the players at our disposal. Where we were 7 years ago has no relevance to now, it's just something people say to make them feel better about a string of poor performances. Everyone has acknowledged how much of an achievement it was to get into the Prem and to stay there and it really doesn't need bringing up for the umpteenth time.

Despite having found a new word in "conflate", you clearly are still having problems with "hyperbole." I did ask you to go and look it up some time ago but it seems to decided not to heed my advice. I'll give you a hand (once again). No one is really expecting us to play like Barcelona, the point is a great many posters seem to think that we should be up there battling it out with the top 6 year in year out when the reality is that we are a medium sized club that can only really compete with other medium sized clubs in the hope to be best of the rest. Sometimes we will achieve that but often, not. I don't know where this sense of entitlement comes from but certainly where we were 7 years ago is extremely relevant because it tells us who we are - a medium sized club who, like all medium sized clubs (go check out the Championship and look at the clubs there) there will be times when most other medium sized clubs do better than us. We have had poor results and poor performances many times over the last 7 years too. Even if we turn things round this season and poor spell is always round the corner. Yet many posters seem to think that there is an expectancy for us not only to win, but to play scintillating football too, week in week out. The reason that people use clichés is because it sums up the point perfectly well. We are who were are, not what some deluded people think we are. Some very boring teams have won the Premiership. Do you think that there fans were bothered that the football was crap? It is all about staying up by whatever means you can. Clichés remind us that it is easy to end up in a downward spiral and that sometimes mid table mediocrity is preferable than a journey to Division 1. So when people say that others expect us to play like Barcelona, they are simply making the point that those supporters should remember who we are and what our resources are. Now go look up "hyperbole" there's a good chap.

No, he blatantly isn't a top manager, but I do think he could become one. I think he is a very good coach though, which is probably part of the problem, in that he may well be one of those people who could be a great number 2, but not quite so cut out to be a number 1.

Also, I think we did miss the boat in the summer, when I think there was a chance to appoint, at least, more of a name manager. There had been talk of Tuchel, Pellegrini (I still get confused, doesn't take much), Mancini, who I think would all have potentially been attracted here, as we would the best post available in England at the time. But now we have Pellegrino (not 'i') we have to give him a real chance.

But to me, if he is a good coach, why do we seem to have go backwards in our play? Mancini would have been a disaster for us as well IMO.

I maybe a tad bitter as I felt Puel was making us a decent side and enjoyed the games I saw us play in. I understand the frustration the fans felt at SMS, but we created lots but just missed the goals.

If we had scored in a few of those home games, the boredom tag may well have been reduced. The WBA game will be remembered for the goal not the rubbishthat was dalt up before that

sadoldgit got to you then? didnt read any of it just saw the posters name and replied?............lol.
I get a notification on my phone when someone replies to me. I saw a lengthy post from soggy which I assume is another inane diatribe like most of his replies to me. I haven't read it though so could be wrong.

They were. Of course you won’t find many admitting it if he does a good job at Leicester. Some will tough it out claiming Leicester have better players, or we choose the wrong replacement, but most will claim they thought he deserved another year, and blame Les Reed.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Do you think we have better attack than Vardy Ulloa Slimani Mahrez Okazaki Demarai Gray then? REALLY???

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

I get a notification on my phone when someone replies to me. I saw a lengthy post from soggy which I assume is another inane diatribe like most of his replies to me. I haven't read it though so could be wrong.

You get a notification to your phone when someone replies to you ?

Every time ?

Despite having found a new word in "conflate", you clearly are still having problems with "hyperbole." I did ask you to go and look it up some time ago but it seems to decided not to heed my advice. I'll give you a hand (once again). No one is really expecting us to play like Barcelona, the point is a great many posters seem to think that we should be up there battling it out with the top 6 year in year out when the reality is that we are a medium sized club that can only really compete with other medium sized clubs in the hope to be best of the rest. Sometimes we will achieve that but often, not. I don't know where this sense of entitlement comes from but certainly where we were 7 years ago is extremely relevant because it tells us who we are - a medium sized club who, like all medium sized clubs (go check out the Championship and look at the clubs there) there will be times when most other medium sized clubs do better than us. We have had poor results and poor performances many times over the last 7 years too. Even if we turn things round this season and poor spell is always round the corner. Yet many posters seem to think that there is an expectancy for us not only to win, but to play scintillating football too, week in week out. The reason that people use clichés is because it sums up the point perfectly well. We are who were are, not what some deluded people think we are. Some very boring teams have won the Premiership. Do you think that there fans were bothered that the football was crap? It is all about staying up by whatever means you can. Clichés remind us that it is easy to end up in a downward spiral and that sometimes mid table mediocrity is preferable than a journey to Division 1. So when people say that others expect us to play like Barcelona, they are simply making the point that those supporters should remember who we are and what our resources are. Now go look up "hyperbole" there's a good chap.

Do you actually go to any games?

But to me, if he is a good coach, why do we seem to have go backwards in our play? Mancini would have been a disaster for us as well IMO.

I maybe a tad bitter as I felt Puel was making us a decent side and enjoyed the games I saw us play in. I understand the frustration the fans felt at SMS, but we created lots but just missed the goals.

If we had scored in a few of those home games, the boredom tag may well have been reduced. The WBA game will be remembered for the goal not the rubbishthat was dalt up before that

I've got no idea why we go backwards in our play, tbh. I don't think our forwards are that brilliant, but I do think they are better than they have been performing. Offensively, I think we are at best a mid-table team. Defensively, I think we are top 6. It could be that Pellegrino is safety first and too risk averse, certainly we are incredibly solid and well coached from that perspective. Maybe he needs an attack coach, in the same way that NFL and rugby union have coaches for specific roles.

If I knew the answers and how to solve them, I would happily offer my services to the club for £10k per week plus bonuses! Cheap at twice the price.

You can’t judge managers on a dozen games, particularly one with his managerial experience. Some managers take a while to settle in and start imbedding their ideas into the squad. Puel was an extremely experienced manager , this guy is a novice in comparison. Obviously I’d have kept Puel, but that horse has bolted. At the moment we look like a side with no direction, we don’t look particularly well coached , but with a manger learning on the job, is it any surprise? Hopefully behind the scenes he’s working with the younger players, imposing his views and putting a structure in place. He clearly hasn’t hit the ground running and whilst some managers do, others don’t. 18 months should be the minimum unless you’re a complete chump, I’ve seen nothing to suggest he’s a complete chump, just an inexperienced guy coming to term with a bigger job than he’s used to. Maybe he needs an experienced hand. Tony Pullis has Gerry Francis, maybe a similar figure could come in as a sounding board for a while.

Let me paraphrase a favourite saying of David Coulthard (Ch 4 F1) for you, quote. "F1 is not a finishing school!" - context - when you get there you should be ready, that's why you're there.

The Premier League is not a finishing school, it is the best league in the world (apparently?) so only the very best managers should expect to make their mark there.

Anyone actually calling for the managers head at this point is ****ing deluded. He has been in the job for only a couple of months and we sit firmly in mid-table. Yea the football is a bit dull but FFS, give the guy a break. Are the people calling for the managers head the same sort that are unable to satisfy their partners? "Sorry love I just wanted to blow my load immediately!" :******:

Bit dull.... that’s being kind. When you are forking out a shed load of money every season you’re entitled to at least see some entertainment. I think half the happy clapper brigade don’t even attend matches.

Genuine question but when was the last time you went to a league match and came home thinking how good were we today?

Bit dull.... that’s being kind. When you are forking out a shed load of money every season you’re entitled to at least see some entertainment. I think half the happy clapper brigade don’t even attend matches.

Genuine question but when was the last time you went to a league match and came home thinking how good were we today?

No you are not. You buy a ticket to have seat at the game that's all. I bet there is no guarantee of entertainment anywhere on your ticket. You buy a ticket in hope of being entertained but no live sport can guarantee you will be so entertained and you are certainly not entitled to it.

I've got no idea why we go backwards in our play, tbh. I don't think our forwards are that brilliant, but I do think they are better than they have been performing. Offensively, I think we are at best a mid-table team. Defensively, I think we are top 6. It could be that Pellegrino is safety first and too risk averse, certainly we are incredibly solid and well coached from that perspective. Maybe he needs an attack coach, in the same way that NFL and rugby union have coaches for specific roles.

If I knew the answers and how to solve them, I would happily offer my services to the club for £10k per week plus bonuses! Cheap at twice the price.

I think we go backwards because we are slow and have poor movement off the ball. We don't pull the opposition out of position. We don't give multiple passing options.

Fitness might be an issue, pace certainly is, and playing 'safe' definitely is.

There again, I might just be talking a load of old sh*t.

1st point, no you're not and if you go to watch football for that then you're nuts. We go because of hope. We hope that we will win, we hope that it will be an awesome display, we hope we'll be champions etc. We are entitled to nothing, we hope for everything.

As for your 2nd point, I came home from away games last season thinking we were excellent plenty of times.

1st point, no you're not and if you go to watch football for that then you're nuts. We go because of hope. We hope that we will win, we hope that it will be an awesome display, we hope we'll be champions etc. We are entitled to nothing, we hope for everything.

As for your 2nd point, I came home from away games last season thinking we were excellent plenty of times.

Sums up the plight of the football fan! Back in the day as a 10 year old I remember some brilliant performances at the back end of our first season in Div 1 but there was an awful lot of dross as well. Mind you running riot against Villa in the last game, pretty much made the season. As did that home game against Forest where Terry Hennessy upended Jimmy Melia in the box and the Liverpool game at the start of the following season where Martin Chivers scored in the 3rd minute and we held on 1-0.

Edited by Winnersaint

Sums up the plight of the football fan! Back in the day as a 10 year old I remember some brilliant performances at the back end of our first season in Div 1 but there was an awful lot of dross as well. Mind you running riot against Villa in the last game, pretty much made the season. As did that home game against Forest where Terry Hennessy upended Jimmy Melia in the box and the Liverpool game at the start of the following season where Martin Chivers scored in the 3rd minute and we held on 1-0.

I liked it when we wore quarters and were called Southampton St Mary's, playing at dogsh*t alley. I used to love seeing Eric Webber charge the keepers into the net whilst smoking a fag.

It's your hero Les Reed who sacks the managers, not the fans. Although he was considered an unisnspring appointment, most of our fans think that with the depleted attacking options he was left with, Puel had done enough to at least deserve starting this season as our manager; Les Reed didn't.
Where have I said Les Reed is my hero?

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

Really? I must be reading different posts to you on this forum 90% on here where desperate for Puel to get the elbow. Also the word on the street is Les was happy for Puel to carry on if he tweaked the style of Football Puel said no and walked...
Pretty much how I understood it as well. Admittedly I was of the opinion that I wanted him to stay at least another season.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

Let me paraphrase a favourite saying of David Coulthard (Ch 4 F1) for you, quote. "F1 is not a finishing school!" - context - when you get there you should be ready, that's why you're there.

The Premier League is not a finishing school, it is the best league in the world (apparently?) so only the very best managers should expect to make their mark there.

Good job you’re not in charge, otherwise we wouldn’t of had Poch

I was there through those Branfoot days.. we were crap but at least it was entertaining at times. Perhaps I’m loosing my passion for it. Perhaps I’ll always be left wondering why we didn’t push on after finishing 6th. But that’s my perspective and I know that many won’t agree and I totally accept that.

Let's see now. Ignoring the fans the club's stated position vis a vis success in the sporting competition that is the Premier League and not forgetting other ones such as the FA cup is that its intention is to do what you have said we will not do and look to then augment its resources and capabilities to further enhance its ability to compete at the top of the league. So good old Les Reed himself has pretty much said the opposite of your conclusion. The caveat was that it would take a lot for that to happen but such things such as the arrival of the Gao family are yet another suggestion that that stated aim is not considered to be one that has been cast aside.

I do think, from reading this forum, that many and perhaps most of the fanbase would like to see scintillating football, a large measure of success - it is better to be the belle of the ball than the lowly drinks server, no? - which may very well not be winning titles (although that was at the time Cortese's intention; he remarked on how bare the trophy cabinet was I recollect), but at least is continually being the best of those teams that do not have limitless funds to simply buy their success and probably take some pride in the academy and its homegrown products. Overall, I'd say that was far more down to earth than, say, the PSG fan.

We are also not defeatist: the established order is one to be challenged and beaten; hence Leicester's popularity and this is a competitive sport. "Accepting our place" (whatever that might be) is to have all but given up and I can think of few, if any, (worthwhile) sports fans and participants who would even think like that, let alone accept it. Otherwise their time would be better spent reading a dictionary.

There's a typo: 'there' rather than the correct 'their'.

As for a journey to division one: it depends. Would you rather be a faceless nothing club like e.g. WBA, Stoke, whoever and just be happy to take whatever scraps are thrown your way so you can brag (and con yourself) that you're competitive? My view is that that makes you a plastic/prawn sandwich kind of person. The alternative might have its undoubted failings, but as many of these are perceptual and so can be ignored by those who like football (and the way the team's played for quite a while is pretty atrocious now, isn't it?) all we would be would be a club that just went up and down the leagues and, as is now still probably the case, for the most part would be ignored by most people but the fans might well get a better experience both in terms of game play, fan interaction, good away days and less drivel from the marketing department but which would be a club whose fans had more exciting and interesting experiences overall.

As for the size of the club, Man City aren't a big club; they're a rich club. If we win enough I'm sure we can do comparably in some ways and there really aren't that many 'big clubs' any more. In the past of course there were more chances for the less large clubs to do well, although that would be sporadic so there's no reason why we can't do more as a club and we as fans can't expect and hope for more than we currently get. I also think there are far more interesting and exciting teams to watch than Barcelona and think that in terms of entitlement we currently get (as fans) what we are entitled to because the club seems to have dropped a number of ******** over a period of time.

On the contrary' date=' poch is one of the best managers and has therefore made his mark. Not rocket science.[/quote']

He was responded to a post that our guy is inexperienced, by coming out with some pony about “it’s not a finishing school”. Therefore it’s not rocket science to assume that he wouldn’t have given Poch the job based on his past. Unless you’re trying to say that Pellegrino should have proved he was “one of the best”, and should have made his mark already.FFS, he hasn’t been here a dozen games yet.

MLT on Sky complaining about how boring Saints were at the weekend, passing side to side instead of attacking.

Says Gabbiadini makes amazing runs but it's a total waste of time as no-one will pass the ball forwards.

Sent from my F3311 using Tapatalk

He wasn't the only ex-pro to notice. The two on Match of the Day 2 did as well. So did a few million watching the game on Sky.

If it's down to coaching, the manager needs to change it. If it's down to the players, the manager needs to change it.

Let's see now. Ignoring the fans the club's stated position vis a vis success in the sporting competition that is the Premier League and not forgetting other ones such as the FA cup is that its intention is to do what you have said we will not do and look to then augment its resources and capabilities to further enhance its ability to compete at the top of the league. So good old Les Reed himself has pretty much said the opposite of your conclusion. The caveat was that it would take a lot for that to happen but such things such as the arrival of the Gao family are yet another suggestion that that stated aim is not considered to be one that has been cast aside.

I do think, from reading this forum, that many and perhaps most of the fanbase would like to see scintillating football, a large measure of success - it is better to be the belle of the ball than the lowly drinks server, no? - which may very well not be winning titles (although that was at the time Cortese's intention; he remarked on how bare the trophy cabinet was I recollect), but at least is continually being the best of those teams that do not have limitless funds to simply buy their success and probably take some pride in the academy and its homegrown products. Overall, I'd say that was far more down to earth than, say, the PSG fan.

We are also not defeatist: the established order is one to be challenged and beaten; hence Leicester's popularity and this is a competitive sport. "Accepting our place" (whatever that might be) is to have all but given up and I can think of few, if any, (worthwhile) sports fans and participants who would even think like that, let alone accept it. Otherwise their time would be better spent reading a dictionary.

There's a typo: 'there' rather than the correct 'their'.

As for a journey to division one: it depends. Would you rather be a faceless nothing club like e.g. WBA, Stoke, whoever and just be happy to take whatever scraps are thrown your way so you can brag (and con yourself) that you're competitive? My view is that that makes you a plastic/prawn sandwich kind of person. The alternative might have its undoubted failings, but as many of these are perceptual and so can be ignored by those who like football (and the way the team's played for quite a while is pretty atrocious now, isn't it?) all we would be would be a club that just went up and down the leagues and, as is now still probably the case, for the most part would be ignored by most people but the fans might well get a better experience both in terms of game play, fan interaction, good away days and less drivel from the marketing department but which would be a club whose fans had more exciting and interesting experiences overall.

As for the size of the club, Man City aren't a big club; they're a rich club. If we win enough I'm sure we can do comparably in some ways and there really aren't that many 'big clubs' any more. In the past of course there were more chances for the less large clubs to do well, although that would be sporadic so there's no reason why we can't do more as a club and we as fans can't expect and hope for more than we currently get. I also think there are far more interesting and exciting teams to watch than Barcelona and think that in terms of entitlement we currently get (as fans) what we are entitled to because the club seems to have dropped a number of ******** over a period of time.

And there we have it. A faceless nothing club like WBA and Stoke. I expect their supporters would say exactly the same about the mighty SFC. We are no different to those clubs and probably never will be despite what the likes of Cortese says in the past and Reed says now. Manchester City are a firm top six club and if there is. Breakaway league in Europe, they will be part of it. I would say that makes them a big club. Do you really think the tv companies will be creaming themselves over SFC ever getting there? In this day and age there is nothing wrong with aspiring to be best of the rest and trying to win a cup.

Good job you’re not in charge, otherwise we wouldn’t of had Poch

The reason we got him, which is well documented, was that Mitchell and Cortese scouted and selected him and they're not in charge of our recruitment any more. By the way, Kat must feel an enormous sense of gratitude to Cortese for choosing this club and setting it up for success and Mitchell for finding the star players which helped turn her father's 13 million investment into 200 million for her, and she's still got 20% of the club. That has to be one of the most profitable football investments ever.

Do you actually go to any games?

Why has someone got to go to a game to be a proper fan? That is utter cr8p!

Lots of peole can't afford it and still watch the painful, turgid, rubbish online, game after game and when the game ends, they are thankful that their monitor is still intact.

Why has someone got to go to a game to be a proper fan? That is utter cr8p!

Lots of peole can't afford it and still watch the painful, turgid, rubbish online, game after game and when the game ends, they are thankful that their monitor is still intact.

Because SOG has been like this as long as I can remember - well before Puel or Pellegrino. And let’s be clear here: he’s berating people, like you, for questioning the quality of the football.

Which is easy enough when you don’t have to endure or watch the football yourself, particularly in person. Makes you think whether the football is really that important to him, compared to the hard-on he gets from creating ever flimsier strawmen on top of his ever more self-righteous moral high horse.

Edited by shurlock

We should have kept Puel and that's coming from somebody who wanted him out. I think he'll do a very good job at Leicester.

I agree he will do well at Leicester (and I also wanted him gone last summer) but they've got a decent squad of decisive attacking players. Puel played to our strengths which was to keep us tight and try and nick a goal. When we did create chances our woeful strikers contrived to miss them unless Austin or Gabbi were playing.

On Pellegrino, it doesn't seem to me like he actually knows what he is doing. Looks a terrible appointment at present.

And there we have it. A faceless nothing club like WBA and Stoke. I expect their supporters would say exactly the same about the mighty SFC. We are no different to those clubs and probably never will be despite what the likes of Cortese says in the past and Reed says now. Manchester City are a firm top six club and if there is. Breakaway league in Europe, they will be part of it. I would say that makes them a big club. Do you really think the tv companies will be creaming themselves over SFC ever getting there? In this day and age there is nothing wrong with aspiring to be best of the rest and trying to win a cup.

The TV companies will cream themselves over any old ****e. They have done for years now. City are 'big' because they spend money like it comes out of the ground in a hole and never stops. Our trajectory was upwards, there was little reason why we couldn't continue to do as we had as despite what many say this league really isn't a particularly good or difficult one and actually probably exists as it does because of the lack of decent players overall. Stoke and WBA fans can say what they want; arguably the former have a much better history than we do. Had City not been bought by the Middle East they'd be nothing. It's very unlikely and I hope it doesn't occur, but were we to experience the same we could do the same.

Furthermore, the arguments are not about being 'big' per se, but about producing entertaining football, enjoying the game, the play, the match day itself as that not an 'experience', about being competitive and that against everyone and other things. If we want we could compare ourselves with Newcastle but they really do have potential to be what we aspire to and are easily a bigger club (with a pretty bare trophy cabinet) than we are.

We should have kept Puel and that's coming from somebody who wanted him out. I think he'll do a very good job at Leicester.

I hope he does well at Leicester as certain people on here are likely to have a stroke if he does!

Good decision to get rid of Puel...he wasn't right for us.

Big difference being he has direct pacy attackers at Leicester, something he never had here and what we still lack now

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Pelligrino wasn't even rated in the top 50 coaches in the world last jan, although a couple of people on that list no longer look good, cough cough koeman, mark sampson !!

https://www.fourfourtwo.com/features/fourfourtwos-50-best-football-managers-world-2017

Interesting that the debate on here is that winning makes you a good catch yet Poch is rated higher than Wenger in there.

I couldn't find Puel, what number was he ranked at?

I hope he does well at Leicester as certain people on here are likely to have a stroke if he does!

What is success at Leicester? Finishing above us?

Would be a miracle if the 2015-16 league winners and last years champions league quarter finalists (+spent 160m last 2 summers) did manage to finish above the Mighty Saints.

Interesting that the debate on here is that winning makes you a good catch yet Poch is rated higher than Wenger in there.

I couldn't find Puel, what number was he ranked at?

I think the debate isn't about being a good coach there are lots of good coaches out there but at the end of the day when their careers come to end those coaches that are elevated from good to great have to be those who have won trophies. What ever the sport those who go down as truly great are those that win stuff.

Depends what those people want really doesn't it. If they want half decent results then it'll be OK, if they still maintain that they want to be entertained, well then who knows. I'd like to have seen some of these "entertain me" fans back in the 60's and 70s, some matches were that dire but in those days winning counted above all else.