Pellegrino OUT

Batman

Not that it was hard, but I called it yesterday.

only positive is Boufal played in the hole for once and was probably our best player.

tadic, Cedric awful today and Hoet should have kept his place.

We were right to sack Puel but Pellegrino has been just as bad

You keep going on about this but two wrongs don’t make a right. Neither Puel or Pelligrino have been good appointments.

Exactly. I wanted Puel out and I want Pelligrino out for the same reason. If we appoint a third **** in a row whose teams perform like those 2 I'll want him out as well. We really can't afford another one though.

only positive is Boufal played in the hole for once and was probably our best player.

I wonder if Vokes would have mugged Hoedt for the goal, like he did with Yoshi.

Sorry Pellegrino, but it's not working is it. The players look disinterested, the build up play is slow. I'm usually supportive of a new manager until proven otherwise but it seems like little has changed from the end of last season.

Our points total masks how poor we've been. Fresh blood needed at least to give the players a jolt. Big decisions for Reed coming up. Surely he can't keep faith in Pellegrino for long, can he? Have we reached Allardyce levels of desperation yet?

Well, we can't change the players for at least another two months, so the only other meaningful change we can make until then is the manager.

It's not going to get better. He hasn't shown even the merest inkling of having any answers to our myriad of deficiencies.

Another couple of months of this and we'll reach the new year in the bottom five - or worse.

Time for the new owner to step up and take charge of the grim direction his investment is headed in.

The whole set-up needs a complete overhaul.

Sent from my F3311 using Tapatalk

Utter BS.....you telling me Stephens, JWP, Redmond, VVD, Sims, McQueen, Romeu, Yoshida all went backwards under Puel. They were coached well - this clown HAS made players go backwards.

Puel did a terrible job - 8th and a Cup Final. This clown - relegation beckons.

Make the change now Saints before its too late. If no-one lined up bring back Adkins and get some bloody positivity in the club until the right manager is available

Stephens only played as we had little or no other options. JWP was no better at the end of the season than the start, VvD only played half a season and was the same player when he got injured as when he started the season. Sims and McQueen hardly got a look-in the second half of the season.

There is no doubt in my mind that Pellegrino is not good enough to manage Southampton FC. The only question is, are there any decent available options to replace him and will Les Reed revise his picayune, let’s tick all the boxes hiring strategy, with simply hiring the best man for the job.

Wow utter clueless the lot of them.Bring back Ron.So slow its painful to watch and argggghh the fixture list to start this manager and team of to a flyer couldnt have been better.Now after the international break the fun begins,and Forster a header alright a good one yet again stuggles to deal with it...........F...............U.......C..........K..!!!!!!!

Puel got us to 8th and a cup final (albeit in a year where the average teams were especially poor). We will never match this under Pellegrino despite the **** teams hardly looking any better. Puel wasn't a good appointment and I wouldn't want him back, but Pellegrino has done nothing to suggest he is anything but inferior to the man he replaced.

He has to go, along with Les Reed. When you look at the fixtures we've had, we are 100% in a relegation battle.

The decision to replace Puel with Puellegrino is baffling. Massive error from Reed; he obviously didn't get his first choice and then panicked.

For the first time in 25 years following Saints I am fed up and bored ****less by us.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

When Pellegrino arrived there were reports of how wonderfully he got along with his players, worked to their strengths and motivated them.

What happened?

Someone found out the truth

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It was too early to get rid of Puel at the end of last season; it is currently too early to get rid of Pellegrino. However, you have to say that we seem to be worse under Pellegrino than under Puel at the moment so if we don't improve by the end of the season then you have to anticipate that he will have to go.

If we do end up sacking Pellegrino then it is vital that we first identify who we are getting in and we must be absolutely sure that whoever we get in is going to be an improvement. It would be catastrophic to sack Pellegrino and then bring in someone who is even worse - as we seem to have done with replacing Puel with Pellegrino.

Of course, one other consideration may be the current availability of Ronald Koeman. You would imagine that he wouldn't want to come back and we wouldn't want to bring him back, but who knows?!

Personally I think we made a big mistake in the summer by acting too slowly and as a result not bringing in Marco Silva. If we had brought him in I think we would find ourselves in a much better position.

Sadly, I currently fear that Pellegrino will not be able to turn it around and will be sacked at the end of the season. Who we bring in then I don't know - it is unlikely to be Tuchel, so it's hard to know. I certainly wouldn't want us to be looking at Hoddle, Allardyce, Pardew or any of the usual names that are linked (with the possible exception of Ranieri). I would have been interested in the Turkish coach we were linked with a couple of years ago but since returning from some time out of the game I'm not aware he has done much.

Overall it is a big dilemma - not the simple decision that some seem to be suggesting.

teamPuel was building a team.

There was a structure and coherence to Puel's teams. We petered out towards the end but that's hardly surprising for a side that peaked in the cup final and was heading towards midtable obscurity.

This season, even our wins have had a touch of good fortune about them.

Still hard to work out what kind of football Pellegrino represents - playing reactive and opportunistic football might work at a minnow like Alaves but it's not a recipe for long-term success and it won't cut it here.

Edited by shurlock

He has to go, along with Les Reed. When you look at the fixtures we've had, we are 100% in a relegation battle.

The decision to replace Puel with Puellegrino is baffling. Massive error from Reed; he obviously didn't get his first choice and then panicked.

For the first time in 25 years following Saints I am fed up and bored ****less by us.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

We dithered and missed Silva who should have been our first choice. Reed probably thought he could get Tuchel, he couldn’t and so we had to feed on the freebie scraps.

Even the commentator today said replacing Puel with MP made no sense, might have well have kept Puel. My biggest issue is the stubbornness. Same thing every day. It will work, it will work, its my way it will work. Guess what it doesn't. Good managers adapt and create tactics that fit the squad, not visa versa.

Allardyce may be the bullet we have to bite

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'd welcome him. At least he engenders some ****ing passion and togetherness in his teams AND he's never been relegated. This **** Pelligrino is right on course to take us down.

I think the players are better than this. It must be down to the manager(s) and the tactics. We play possession football, immobile with low risk with the aim to not concede.

Pellegrino started off where Puel left. I so much miss the days when it was exciting watching saints. Its sad to see who the "southampton way" is completely gone.

To have the impact we'd hope for I suspect the decision has to be taken at a higher level than Les Reed, along with the recruitment.

If it's left to Reed we'll have a few weeks of dither, dither, and dither again ... (rather like the Lowe-Wigley era when it was obvious to a f^cking idiot that Wigley was not up to the job, but Lowe just allowed him to amble on... what happened next of course was equally calamitous).. and on making the selection it might not be a clean sweep, but fitting another one into the cosy set up to fit in around Black and Dave Watson.

Problem being that Ralph sees Les as the 'football person' from whom the club takes it's direction. So unless Gao, a Nelly/Kat combination, or Ralph have some inspiration, or another football adviser giving guidance it looks like Les will be allowed to navigate the good ship for a while longer ( iceberg, what iceberg ?).

Perhaps, Gao/Nelly will realise the implications for their investment pretty quick, but let's hope they are more insightful on their choice of replacement than Brum appointing Zola.

Edited by Badger

We need Allardyce in. He's the only one I can see who we know will turn this round and will do things his own way so we can be clear the fault isn't Reed or Black etc. Yes the football isn't great - but come on, it's better than the tripe served up these past 2 seasons - and it produces results. And now please - 2 weeks head start due to international break. Shame really - if they had pulled their finger out and got the Watford manager (or appt him instead of Puel originally) we wouldn't be in this position.

Of course the issue will be that Reed will want a yes man...

Happy to admit that I made a mistake as far as Puel is concerned, although I still think his football was terrible to watch. Replacing him with quality would have been acceptable. Replacing him with somebody who isn't fit to manage the reserves is a different story.

I totally agree with you but the club has made three really wrong decisions

As you say there was no point in getting rid of Puel without a top class replacement and it will be interesting to see how he does at Leicester.

Secondly VVD should have been sold and the money invested in a couple of really good attacking players it is not as though we did not need more attacking players last season.

Thirdly something should have been done about the goal keeping situation as Forster has been pretty poor for some time and has cost many points recently

Fat Sam could come out of retirement. We need a manager who will stave off relegation, because we will be in a relegation dogfight, that's for sure.

MP is clueless - plays one up front at home to BURNLEY!! Sets up to not lose, at HOME!! Is this the Southampton Way?

I totally agree with you but the club has made three really wrong decisions

As you say there was no point in getting rid of Puel without a top class replacement and it will be interesting to see how he does at Leicester.

Secondly VVD should have been sold and the money invested in a couple of really good attacking players it is not as though we did not need more attacking players last season.

Thirdly something should have been done about the goal keeping situation as Forster has been pretty poor for some time and has cost many points recently

Puel & his replacement - agree

VVD - disagree, I think you're possibly rewriting history a bit with the benefit of hindsight. I think the vast majority were of the view at the time that we shouldn't give in to him this summer, and I wouldn't criticise the club for that now. How we've spent of course is another matter.

GK - spot on. He was a liability last season so to offer him a new contract was absurd, not to bring in a capable deputy, or someone better was p!ss poor management.

7 games played at home only 4 away in the league. We are very deep in the mire. All those who wanted Puel out are looking a tad foolish IMO

Why? Sacking Puel wasn't the problem. Hiring Pellegrino was and that's solely down to the board.

My god, this bloke really is totally deluded.....................if that is a reference for how he wants us to play, god help us!

Southampton boss Mauricio Pellegrinio, speaking to MOTD: "We did everything we had to do against an opponent that was defending 90% of the game. We were much better than them in all different aspects of the game apart from efficiency. They had one chance and scored. It is really painful for us, we did everything. The intensity and football was good, but we lost.

"I don't want to talk about luck. In this aspect we need to improve our accuracy. Today the spirit of the team and the attitude was really good.

"We had to use this game as a reference about how I would like my team to play. We deserved more.

"We have quality and capacity to keep playing in this way. We controlled the opponent totally in my view but in the respect of efficiency, Burnley were better than us."

Puel & his replacement - agree

VVD - disagree, I think you're possibly rewriting history a bit with the benefit of hindsight. I think the vast majority were of the view at the time that we shouldn't give in to him this summer, and I wouldn't criticise the club for that now. How we've spent of course is another matter.

GK - spot on. He was a liability last season so to offer him a new contract was absurd, not to bring in a capable deputy, or someone better was p!ss poor management.

Most people were being small minded and just did not want VVD not to go to Liverpool without VVD the defence was OK last season but the attack was poor so it would have seemed sensible to me to have sold him but it is only my opinion

Still makes me laugh when I think of all the people who said after the Swansea game that ‘well it was definitely better than under Puel’ despite drawing 0-0 at home to certain relegation fodder :lol: Course it was lads. At least Puel knew what he was doing, you may not have liked it (I was fine with it) but he had a plan and knew how to execute it. You don’t play one of the most dangerous attacks in the league 4 times and not concede a goal without a bit of tactical nous. I don’t know what Pellegrino does, and I don’t think he knows either.

8TH AND A CUP FINAL!!!!!!!!!!!

#8thandacupfinal

something we probably won’t see again. Big mouth Charlie’s got a manager sacked, who could have made a decent team. Having Gabbi and VVD for the last part of the season would have made a difference.Add to that he could have got a striker in the summer

The fact that this guy is dire doesn't justify a revisionist history of Puel. We have had 2 managerial failures on the trot and someone higher needs to take the blame.

100%

The mistake wasn't sacking Puel. The mistake was hiring Pellegrino and Puel.

Reed is the common factor in our decline