Pellegrino OUT

Batman

Also, several times Newcastle cut through us like a hot knife through butter because the midfield didn't work hard enough to get back and defend. Their second goal is an example.

Surely other teams are allowed to attack and score goals that is football?

As the days go by the more magical last season becomes :lol:

Puel averaged 1.2 points per game. Pellegrino 1.1

They are both **** managers.

Arguing over Puel vs Pellegrino is like asking if you want a broken left arm or right arm..... You dont want either.

Clear out from top to bottom needed ASAP (rocky)

it would suit you if Saints crashed and burned.

Puel for all the nonsense on here had 1 transfer window to build a team as when he joined had little time of support. Considering he had to handle to extra Europa games (look how Everton etc suffer from that) a fantastic cup run and finished 8th.He was building a team that played some superb overlapping football (if you don't believe me ,go back and look at Evertyon home, WHU away, the games against Liverpool in the cup as well as a wonderful performance in the cup final) All this with VVD missing for half the season and when we finally got a striker he was injured for spells.

Yes we failed to score ina period of home games, but with what we had on offer up front, and pathetic penalty taking are we really surprised.

I agree Puel was rubbish with his language in postmatch interviews but that seemed to go against him and so the fans failed to warm to him.

Go back and look at our greatest mangers first season and see what happened then.Thankfully if the club had listened to the fans then!

Puel should have been kept,but most certainly that MP should never have been appointed

But you’re forgetting that Les wants us to play 4-3-3 with slow possession based build up play. Unfortunelty there is no room for a player with Boufal’s flair in that system, he just gives the ball away too much (trying to create things, which is exactly what we need).

What we need a player who gives the ball away to much? The problem is for all his exciting little tricks and flicks Boufals end product is practically non existent I believe he has zero assists, three big chances created and one goal in the league in 28 appearances.

There's nothing wrong with possession football in its self as long as you have the players good enough to keep the ball and with the quality to convert the possession into a meaningful end product...sadly it seem we don't.

The biggest issue for me us we have developed a style of play that seems to benefit none of our current strikers. All three have strengths and we play to none of them and instead bang endless high crosses into the box like we are playing with a big powerful CF leading the line. It's mad how often are strikers are playing with their backs to the opposition goal.

A shameful decision to sack a woeful, inept, horrific, appalling, embarrassing, pathetic excuse for a manager? Yes, ok then mate.

Here's this amazing thing again where because a new appointment is also terrible, the previous employee suddenly becomes better than he was.

People on this forum, honestly.

Mc Menemy Strachan Puel the only3 managers to get Saints to a proper cup final in my 50 years of watching Saints.

Mc Menemy Strachan Puel the only3 managers to get Saints to a proper cup final in my 50 years of watching Saints.

Branfoot got us to a cup final, having played more games and against higher ranking opposition than in the LC last season. You will of course claim it wasn't a proper cup final because it suits your argument but it shows that getting to and losing a cup final is not really a good measure of a good manager.

What Heisenberg and the other Puel haters never want to engage in, because it's too difficult, is that not only did Puel finish 8th but....

- he took us past all Premier League opposition, including away wins at Arsenal and Liverpool, to a cup final that real fans thoroughly enjoyed

- as a result, with the addition of Europa Cup games, he had ELEVEN more games before February was out than MP will after the embarrassing exit to Wolves Reserves

- we finished eight, yes down in points, but in a weird season that saw Everton, Liverpool and Chelsea with no European football to contend with with the extra travel and lack of game preparation time

- all of the above was achieved with Pelle and Mane sold and inadequate or no replacements

So given the addition of Lemina, Hoedt and injury free VVD and Austin along with a fully fit squad then SIGNIFICANT up,fit in points is expected to match all of the above from MP. He has week in, week out uninterrupted coaching time. And if the rumours are true that some key players wanted Puel out, and some of them wanted out themselves, then answer me this: why aren't they all playing out of their skins as they must be so pleased?

I wouldnt fire MP yet as I want to give him every chance to succeed, but early signs aren't good and November/December fixtures loom. We appear to be going backwards in the only competition that we are in until January and so I wouldn't rule out pulling the trigger if we don't see genuine progress by the end of November. I have backed every manager since Pardew and have never been on here arguing to sack the boss. But if we get sucked in to a relegation battle in January then anything is possible. Our table position is artificially high having played only one team that finished above us last season

What Heisenberg and the other Puel haters never want to engage in, because it's too difficult, is that not only did Puel finish 8th but....

- he took us past all Premier League opposition, including away wins at Arsenal and Liverpool, to a cup final that real fans thoroughly enjoyed

- as a result, with the addition of Europa Cup games, he had ELEVEN more games before February was out than MP will after the embarrassing exit to Wolves Reserves

- we finished eight, yes down in points, but in a weird season that saw Everton, Liverpool and Chelsea with no European football to contend with with the extra travel and lack of game preparation time

- all of the above was achieved with Pelle and Mane sold and inadequate or no replacements

So given the addition of Lemina, Hoedt and injury free VVD and Austin along with a fully fit squad then SIGNIFICANT up,fit in points is expected to match all of the above from MP. He has week in, week out uninterrupted coaching time. And if the rumours are true that some key players wanted Puel out, and some of them wanted out themselves, then answer me this: why aren't they all playing out of their skins as they must be so pleased?

I wouldnt fire MP yet as I want to give him every chance to succeed, but early signs aren't good and November/December fixtures loom. We appear to be going backwards in the only competition that we are in until January and so I wouldn't rule out pulling the trigger if we don't see genuine progress by the end of November. I have backed every manager since Pardew and have never been on here arguing to sack the boss. But if we get sucked in to a relegation battle in January then anything is possible. Our table position is artificially high having played only one team that finished above us last season

Good post, especially the first half!

I didn't want Puel sacked, although I appreciate why many home game only fans did, I could see what he was trying to achieve and away from SMS we played some great stuff.

However, that doesn't alter the fact that MP is totally out of his depth. It's turgid, grim, uninspiring football with awful team selection.

In all my years following Saints, with the exception of Branfoot, I have never wanted rid of a manager after so few games.

Pray tell, what changes would you make? Because I can't see an extensive list of worthy starters sitting on the bench. 80-90% of the team picks itself.

Branfoot got us to a cup final, having played more games and against higher ranking opposition than in the LC last season. You will of course claim it wasn't a proper cup final because it suits your argument but it shows that getting to and losing a cup final is not really a good measure of a good manager.
Lol,the ZDS I'm not sure all teams played in that and was a different format. I knew somebody would put that lame bit up.

Look at how and who we beat on the way to the EFL cup final. I accept many fans are stuck in the positon that they whined and wanted Puel out and so don't want to admit the mistake, but in time people will see that he did a damned fine job without proper backing by replacing Mane and Pelle aka about 30 goals.

Which "higher ranking opposition" did Branfoot beat on the way to the ZDS cup final then?

Finalists Forest finished 8th in the league that season.

The team we beat in the semi (southern final) was Chelsea who finished 14th that season.

The team we beat in the round before was West Ham who finished bottom.

And before that the mighty Plymouth and Bristol City.

None of those represent "higher ranking opposition than in the LC last season" who were, lets remind ourselves - Man United (6th), Liverpool (4th), Arsenal (5th), Palace (14th - just like "higher ranking" Chelsea in 1992) Sunderland (bottom but same as West Ham in 1992).

What is the point of coming up with such horsesh it? Is it because it "suits your argument"?

Edited by CB Fry

What horses!! If you get to a league cup final you are the bestest!

Look at the high calibre managers that have done it over the last few years - its an elite list of super managers

Gus Poyet

Michael Laudrup

Phil Parkinson

Malay Mackay

Alex Macleish

Harry Redknapp

Paul Jewell

Steve McClaren

Then you have the more prestigious FA Cup which also proves that only elite managers can reach a final.

Alan Pardew

Tim Sherwood

Steve Bruce

Roberto Martínez

Tony Pulis

Avram Grant

David Moyes

Dave Jones

Harry Redknapp

Dennis Wise

What horses!! If you get to a league cup final you are the bestest!

Look at the high calibre managers that have done it over the last few years - its an elite list of super managers

Gus Poyet

Michael Laudrup

Phil Parkinson

Malay Mackay

Alex Macleish

Harry Redknapp

Paul Jewell

Steve McClaren

Then you have the more prestigious FA Cup which also proves that only elite managers can reach a final.

Alan Pardew

Tim Sherwood

Steve Bruce

Roberto Martínez

Tony Pulis

Avram Grant

David Moyes

Dave Jones

Harry Redknapp

Dennis Wise

Please name any of those who also had a Europa campaign , and also finished at least 8th in the league in the same season. A manager of Mourinho's, and Fergusons stature were very happy to win such a cup.

He may or may not turn out to be a decent manager for us, but to talk about sacking him after a couple of months is beyond ridiculous. We are a mid table team and we are mid table. There is a lot wrong with football in this day and age, not least the instant gratification demanded by some supporters.

Please name any of those who also had a Europa campaign , and also finished at least 8th in the league in the same season. A manager of Mourinho's, and Fergusons stature were very happy to win such a cup.

Phil Parkinson got to a final with a team from league 2.

They had to play 46 league games, 4 fa cup games, 8 EFL cup games, 5 football league trophy games and 3 play off games.

They finished 7th and won the playoff final

Phil Parkinson!

Edited by Heisenberg

Phil Parkinson got to a final with a team from league 2.

They had to play 46 league games, 4 fa cup games, 8 EFL cup games, 5 football league trophy games and 3 play off games.

They finished 7th and won the playoff final

Phil Parkinson!

You are a very sad individual that you had to go back and trawl through years of stats just to try and justify your nonsense lol.

Play off final, that is not a national competition, or a major cup final that all the major clubs entered. I'm surprised you didn't find somebody who got to the final of the Johnstones Paint trophy. Why not go back and look at the Texaco cup, 1974 I think there might have been somebody then, or Sportsnight with Colemans 5 a side tournament

it would suit you if Saints crashed and burned.

Puel for all the nonsense on here had 1 transfer window to build a team as when he joined had little time of support.

I don't know how long it will take for lots of you to realise that Les Reed has picked all HIS squad in the last two Summer windows BEFORE the new Managers have arrived.

Managers no longer have any say in who comes or goes. If he did Saints would have got two AM's this summer just gone. One plus, Mr Plod doesn't get on the pitch any more.

You are a very sad individual that you had to go back and trawl through years of stats just to try and justify your nonsense lol.

Play off final, that is not a national competition, or a major cup final that all the major clubs entered. I'm surprised you didn't find somebody who got to the final of the Johnstones Paint trophy. Why not go back and look at the Texaco cup, 1974 I think there might have been somebody then, or Sportsnight with Colemans 5 a side tournament

Bradford got to the EFL cup final mate. As well as playoff final and promotion.

Phil Parkinson!!

“Mauricio has an excellent understanding of the ‘Southampton Way’, and his style of play and aspiration matches the philosophy, culture and ambition of the club,” he blustered. “We want to play exciting, attacking football, taking the game to our opponents by playing a high-intensity game.”

There was little evidence of all of that good stuff during the 2-2 draw with Newcastle United on Sunday, unless of course the ‘Southampton Way’ means toothless wingers, a lack of ingenuity in the middle and repeatedly dumping cross after cross onto the heads of the opposition’s centre-backs. In fact, eight games into the new season and there has been precious little to write him about at all."

my thread made a national!!!! :smug:

The recruitment 'process' was a mess this summer. We made Puel's position untenable by various leaks suggesting he could get the chop following the end of season review, but we bizarrely delayed actually doing so for several weeks.

In delaying for so long we missed out on Silva, who let it be known, via various media articles that we were his preferred option. We were then apparently considering high profile German candidates like Schmidt and Tuchel who both rejected us.

After links to Roberto Martinez and Nagelsman (neither ever going to happen) it was suddenly down to FdB and Pellegrino, the former apparently preferring Palace over us.

Pellegrino seemed more like the only available cheapo candidate going by the end of it (given that we don't dream of appointing managers already in employment) but it was all dressed up as due diligence and a thorough recruitment process.

Not hard to see why we've appointed so badly given the limited options and how much we fudged the sacking of Puel

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'll never forget all those plastics who weren't at all arsed by the cup final.

(????)

The recruitment 'process' was a mess this summer. We made Puel's position untenable by various leaks suggesting he could get the chop following the end of season review, but we bizarrely delayed actually doing so for several weeks.

In delaying for so long we missed out on Silva, who let it be known, via various media articles that we were his preferred option. We were then apparently considering high profile German candidates like Schmidt and Tuchel who both rejected us.

After links to Roberto Martinez and Nagelsman (neither ever going to happen) it was suddenly down to FdB and Pellegrino, the former apparently preferring Palace over us.

Pellegrino seemed more like the only available cheapo candidate going by the end of it (given that we don't dream of appointing managers already in employment) but it was all dressed up as due diligence and a thorough recruitment process.

Not hard to see why we've appointed so badly given the limited options and how much we fudged the sacking of Puel

Should have stuck with Puel but the club ****ed it up by telling him to change his style of play so he walked and I cannot blame him as he did not do that badly with regard to results .

Then we had no one decent to replace him with despite being in the market for a manager a year earlier so we now have poor results and a manager who in my opinion has less experience and success than Puel.

There is no point in sacking MP now if there is no one a lot better available because from experience results will bound to get better

Should have stuck with Puel but the club ****ed it up by telling him to change his style of play so he walked and I cannot blame him as he did not do that badly with regard to results .

Then we had no one decent to replace him with despite being in the market for a manager a year earlier so we now have poor results and a manager who in my opinion has less experience and success than Puel.

There is no point in sacking MP now if there is no one a lot better available because from experience results will bound to get better

Exactly. Pellegrino will improve us, just as Puel would have done this season. We win a couple in a row and the moaners will stop.

Sadly I think you are spot on.

The dithering over sacking CP doesn't indicate a proactively run club that knows what/who it wants. Either sack him straight away or back him. If it's true we offered him the chance to stay if he agreed to play a more attacking game I'd be interested to know where our negotiations were with potential replacements were at that point.

The dithering over sacking CP doesn't indicate a proactively run club that knows what/who it wants. Either sack him straight away or back him. If it's true we offered him the chance to stay if he agreed to play a more attacking game I'd be interested to know where our negotiations were with potential replacements were at that point.

Also time was spent getting in a new manager instead of spending time getting in a decent attacking midfielder or striker which we still need urgently

Fair summary but I think the takeover process didn't help matters in getting someone in pronto.

The players seem to give even less of a sh1t than they did last season - and that's some achievement. I think we've seen enough and shouldn't wait until it's too late like we did with wigley.

Which is strange considering the chatter was that some players wanted Puel out... you'd think having got what they wanted they would have upped their game ...but it would appear not.

Really can't argue with that assessment. Makes reed's pre season assessment of our preferred style look somewhat foolish. Reed a man who's managerial career was pretty poor shouldn't be allowed anywhere near team selections although I get the feeling he has an imput.

There is a clear disconnect with what Reed has publicly stated regarding the way we want to play, and the turgid dross being served up every week by Pellegrino. On that basis alone, he must be on borrowed time unless there are some major changes in either or both tactics or midfield personnel.

It just seems bizarre to me. Did Pelligrino flat out lie when they spoke about style of football?