Pellegrino OUT

Batman

Depends what those people want really doesn't it. If they want half decent results then it'll be OK, if they still maintain that they want to be entertained, well then who knows. I'd like to have seen some of these "entertain me" fans back in the 60's and 70s, some matches were that dire but in those days winning counted above all else.

It’s a fair point about winning in the old days but one big difference was that it didn’t cost what it does to go these days. Me and my mates could make a decision to go based on having a few spare quid and it was comparable to going to the cinema. Very different to nowadays. This means the relationship between the team and the paying customer is very different.

Because SOG has been like this as long as I can remember - well before Puel or Pellegrino. And let’s be clear here: he’s berating people, like you, for questioning the quality of the football.

Which is easy enough when you don’t have to endure or watch the football yourself, particularly in person. Makes you think whether the football is really that important to him, compared to the hard-on he gets from creating ever flimsier strawmen on top of his ever more self-righteous moral high horse.

Happy little soul aren't you. And it is a bit rich to have a go about me being self righteous when you spend most of your time trying to belittle posters on here. Take a look in the mirror, pal.

Because SOG has been like this as long as I can remember - well before Puel or Pellegrino. And let’s be clear here: he’s berating people, like you, for questioning the quality of the football.

Which is easy enough when you don’t have to endure or watch the football yourself, particularly in person. Makes you think whether the football is really that important to him, compared to the hard-on he gets from creating ever flimsier strawmen on top of his ever more self-righteous moral high horse.

Precisely. Unbelievably I agree wholeheartedly with you shurlock. Well put.

Happy little soul aren't you. And it is a bit rich to have a go about me being self righteous when you spend most of your time trying to belittle posters on here. Take a look in the mirror, pal.

Precisely. I agree wholeheartedly with you SOG. Well put

TBF he probably has in inferiority complex so tries to make others feel the same

Edited by ALWAYS_SFC

Depends what those people want really doesn't it. If they want half decent results then it'll be OK, if they still maintain that they want to be entertained, well then who knows. I'd like to have seen some of these "entertain me" fans back in the 60's and 70s, some matches were that dire but in those days winning counted above all else.

TBF, although I felt (and still do) that Puel was hard done by I was in the UK for the Man City game and have never been so bored at a football game as I was that day. Unlike the 70s, that match cost me over 40 quid and I spent the entire 90 minutes wishing I hadn't bothered.

This season has been an extension of that exercise in futility and while entertainment is not guaranteed, it would be nice to have some occasionally. I cannot think of 1 single game under MP that has been in the least bit entertaining.

The West Ham game was at least entertaining as most 3-2 games are but the lack of consistency is really killing any feelings towards the team. You just know you’ll turn up and spend half the game thinking I wish I’d done something else!

The games a day & half away & I'm already wondering whether I've done the right thing in getting tickets. No sense as to what sort of performance we'll put in & one of the main improvements, Lemina, won't be available again. I've been looking back at the games I've attended in 2017 & realised that the last goal I saw us score was in the League Cup final at Wembley in Feb. That's 6 or 7 games my son & I have been to without seeing a goal...

The games a day & half away & I'm already wondering whether I've done the right thing in getting tickets. No sense as to what sort of performance we'll put in & one of the main improvements' date=' Lemina, won't be available again. I've been looking back at the games I've attended in 2017 & realised that the last goal I saw us score was in the League Cup final at Wembley in Feb. That's 6 or 7 games my son & I have been to without seeing a goal...[/quote']

Agreed it’s utterly dire. That cup final was the last time I truly enjoyed a saints game which is a sad indictment in itself. I’m also certain that if I decided not to go someone else I will take my place and do as long as we stay in the big leagues the club really has no interest in whether or not I enjoy myself at a match.

I'm not fully convinced that our real problems lie with the manager or the players. Sure, both are responsible, but I sense a deeper problem in the running of our club and the message that players are receiving from the top level.

Of course I have no evidence , how would I know? It just seems that way to me based on life experience as an employee of several companies. Sometimes, you (Or the player) just know that you and your manager are in the same boat, and at odds with those with real control.

Edited by Ohio Saint

When were these dire matches in the 60s and 70s, at least consistently dire, sure there were odd matches, but never over a whole season or more. There were times when we were poor in terms of getting results, but didn't mean we weren't entertaining even if we might have been losing 5-3 or whatever. And winning counted above all, when? This is revisionist theory at its best. Ted and Lawrie would not have survived for 30 years (between them) if we had not played entertaining football for the majority of their time (it wasn't great the year after relegation but it was still fun and enjoyable to watch most of the time). If you had said the 90s then you might have had a point, with Branfoot, but really cannot relate to your comment at all.

Precisely. Unbelievably I agree wholeheartedly with you shurlock. Well put.

Sucking up to Shurlock like you used to suck up to CB Fry now eh? Funny how you gravitate towards the trolls. You really need to grow up mate. There are a number of posters on here who have prompted many decent posters to leave this site. You are one of them. Still haven't found the backbone to post on Sotonians again I see. Is that because you cant get away there with what you get away with here?

I am berating people who cant deal with us losing matches or playing poorly to the extent that they want the manager out after 5 minutes. I have been a Saints fan since 1966 and have sat through many turgid performances. I have also sat through some wonderful performances. The difference is I don't expect us to be wonderful all the time. MP might turn out to be really good for us or he might not. How anyone can decide that he is crap after 10 matches is ridiculous. If that is being self righteous sobeit. I just think it is using some common sense.

When were these dire matches in the 60s and 70s, at least consistently dire, sure there were odd matches, but never over a whole season or more. There were times when we were poor in terms of getting results, but didn't mean we weren't entertaining even if we might have been losing 5-3 or whatever. And winning counted above all, when? This is revisionist theory at its best. Ted and Lawrie would not have survived for 30 years (between them) if we had not played entertaining football for the majority of their time (it wasn't great the year after relegation but it was still fun and enjoyable to watch most of the time). If you had said the 90s then you might have had a point, with Branfoot, but really cannot relate to your comment at all.

Alehouse football ring any bells? It really was that (well by today's standards anyway) No-one cared anyway, we went to see the Saints win.

Alehouse football ring any bells? It really was that (well by today's standards anyway) No-one cared anyway, we went to see the Saints win.

Only Shankly actually called our football that, because he couldn't deal with it properly, and we hurt his precious little souls. We were still entertaining, even if the entertainment consisted of John McGrath or Brian O'Neil kicking seven bells out of the opposition. :p

Only Shankly actually called our football that, because he couldn't deal with it properly, and we hurt his precious little souls. We were still entertaining, even if the entertainment consisted of John McGrath or Brian O'Neil kicking seven bells out of the opposition. :p

Possibly, but there were some nasty periods all the same, didn't find getting dicked 8-0 by Everton any too fun, nor 7-1 to Leeds a while afterwards. Think that was about ' 72 wasn't it ? Not a great year.

What is success at Leicester? Finishing above us?

Would be a miracle if the 2015-16 league winners and last years champions league quarter finalists (+spent 160m last 2 summers) did manage to finish above the Mighty Saints.

I think Glasgow is getting worried that Puel may not be quite so crap as he thought......!

Possibly, but there were some nasty periods all the same, didn't find getting dicked 8-0 by Everton any too fun, nor 7-1 to Leeds a while afterwards. Think that was about ' 72 wasn't it ? Not a great year.

You're being generous, it was actually a humiliating 7-0. We also lost 2-5 at home to Man U that season, lowlights of a very poor year, just avoiding relegation. Season before we finished 7th, season after improved slightly before another yo-yo 73-74 when we finally dropped.

Shankley called us the "Alehouse Brawlers", that's when I first really got into it...that was gonna be my moniker originally when I signed up a long time ago to this forum but, even then, we had some right snowflakes on here and didn't want to upset 'em so toned it down :p

That was my first season I went to away games, with the old man.

I read a book about Stanks in the summer and the McGrath story was retold. They'd just had some new custody cells built within the ground and evidently Shanks put his arm round McGrath and said " John let me show you your changing room ". Don't know how true the story, like most about him I'd imagine there's an element of truth with plenty of hyperbole . The books a great read, real football man and most of his jibes were tongue in check. I

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cheeky job offer to Conte...:D

There are growing fears inside Stamford Bridge that Antonio Conte could be sacked by Chelsea if the Blues lose on*Sunday.

The Times reports that the Italian has met with owner Roman Abramovich during the week, with the latter paying a visit to the club’s training ground, something that in the past has been seen as a clear sign that a manager is facing the axe.

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/sport/news/chelsea-could-sack-conte-if-they-lose-on-sunday/ar-AAuqE0s?li=AA572I&ocid=spartandhp

That was my first season I went to away games, with the old man.

I read a book about Stanks in the summer and the McGrath story was retold. They'd just had some new custody cells built within the ground and evidently Shanks put his arm round McGrath and said " John let me show you your changing room ". Don't know how true the story, like most about him I'd imagine there's an element of truth with plenty of hyperbole . The books a great read, real football man and most of his jibes were tongue in check. I

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bill Shankly, one of the great characters of an era that was so different from now. Wonderful in many ways.

WTF is this guy doing as our manager? Absolutely clueless and bringing JWP on in the 90th minute. WTF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Pellegrino out - before it's too late. make no mistake we are careering towards relegation with this clown in charge. So much for Reeds proclamations that he was going to bring attacking, exciting football......it is the total opposite and wtf was the point in firing Puel to bring in this clown?

3 shots on goal at home (again) and pedestrian rubbish.

He's got to go. Clueless! Utter ****ing ****e.

I was desperate to get rid of Puel but that old expression 'be careful what you wish for' has never felt so true.

MP is a complete knob. But not in the same league as Les Reed who is a class A ****ing *****. He sacks the manager without a replacement and then has to scrape the bottom of the barrel to find this clown.

Edited by Sidney Fudpucker the 3rd

Reed needs to go before we get another manager in.

I tend to agree with this. Reed has to carry the can for appointing a manager who plays even more boring, conservative, and outright shyte football than the man who was sacked for playing boring, conservative football.

7 games played at home only 4 away in the league. We are very deep in the mire. All those who wanted Puel out are looking a tad foolish IMO

Happy to admit that I made a mistake as far as Puel is concerned, although I still think his football was terrible to watch. Replacing him with quality would have been acceptable. Replacing him with somebody who isn't fit to manage the reserves is a different story.

Why? Puel did a poor job and our players went backwards. We played similar football to this in the last few months of the season. Appointing another bad manager doesn't change anything Puel did here. Likewise if we appoint someone even worse now, blame Reed, don't suddenly decide Pellegrino was actually good.

Utter BS.....you telling me Stephens, JWP, Redmond, VVD, Sims, McQueen, Romeu, Yoshida all went backwards under Puel. They were coached well - this clown HAS made players go backwards.

Puel did a terrible job - 8th and a Cup Final. This clown - relegation beckons.

Make the change now Saints before its too late. If no-one lined up bring back Adkins and get some bloody positivity in the club until the right manager is available

team

Why? Puel did a poor job and our players went backwards. We played similar football to this in the last few months of the season. Appointing another bad manager doesn't change anything Puel did here. Likewise if we appoint someone even worse now, blame Reed, don't suddenly decide Pellegrino was actually good.
Puel was building a team.