Pellegrino OUT

Batman

Let’s stay up and then have the unrest.Season ends we stay up and then vote with our feet.

Given that our last game is home to city where we'll be annihilated why don't we all boycott that game. We'll either be safe or not by then (and if it's in the balance will lose anyway) so an empty stadium at home to the newly crowned champions would be a decent message? And it won't effect our season at all. Just a thought. If we all agree we can spend the next couple of months supporting our team (who probably don't deserve it) safe in the knowledge our protest is organised and sorted?

Given that our last game is home to city where we'll be annihilated why don't we all boycott that game. We'll either be safe or not by then (and if it's in the balance will lose anyway) so an empty stadium at home to the newly crowned champions would be a decent message? And it won't effect our season at all. Just a thought. If we all agree we can spend the next couple of months supporting our team (who probably don't deserve it) safe in the knowledge our protest is organised and sorted?

What, and miss our last-ever game in the Premier League? ;)

Nelly and Lesley and Kat

One short, one bald, one fat

These horrible crooks

So different in looks

Why don't you just sack this prat?

But what about the 5 pledges?

From the guy who's made lots of wedges

It's a bit of a mess

And soon we'll be worth less

Than a packet of Benson & Hedges

next.......

It is a bit of a parody to be honest. We seem to be acting like a newly promoted club who 'expected' to be in a battle, and the fact we're still in touch indicates a good season (see Wanger and Houghton for e.g.). But we're not expected to be here, if the club were unhappy with Claude then I'm truly dumbfounded as to why they haven't acted.

I think they're protecting the brand personally. If we stay up we will be all over the media, make no doubt about it, ''We never waivered, we stood firm in the face of bla bla bla". The fact is that if we do stay up, he still needs to go. So I don't get it.

Exactly right, seems the club really has been consumed by it's own spin - I think they genuinely think they think they look in control of the situation and they think they look above/better than other clubs by not sacking him.

It's so strange that the narrative of finishing top 8/challenging for Europe has been diminished into clinging on to our league status just because we refuse to sack someone who is patently incapable of delivering that.

We could have sacked this guy in November and be challenging top 8 right now. But smug pig-headed pride has stopped us doing what any other club would have done.

Our media perception of being a "well run club" is shot to sh it whether we stay up or not.

The Paul Merson/Talksport/rent-a-pundit truisms of "you can't keep selling your best players etc etc" AND "who do SFC think they are if they sack a manager who took them to 8th" will have both been proven correct if we finish 17th or 20th. We've gifted them being proven right on a plate.

The idea that the club think that them smugly saying "look at us sticking by the manager" is going to trump those notions is a joke - the season has been a total failure, staying up or not.

So, here we are kamikaze-ing out the league for what? Some Argentine barely any Saints fan had even heard of this time last year. What the actual fu ck.

At this stage of the season yes. It's down to the players, always has been and some of the displays just aren't good enough.

Manager was never good enough and nothing has changed in that respect. The players are good enough and their lack of address and continual errors are what needs to be corrected just now. I mean the Hoedt error on Sunday, the manager can't be held responsable for that. Nor the close range misses that seem to happen most games.

But it has to be down to tactics from MP - second half when we are 2-0 down, we did not have a single shot on goal!! I never saw MP emploring his charges to attack, and his substitutions proved that, bringing on Davis instead of an attacker. It's the same every game, we look ok early, score a goal, then sit back for 60 minutes and let the opposition attack us until inevitably then score at least one, often more.

But it has to be down to tactics from MP - second half when we are 2-0 down, we did not have a single shot on goal!! I never saw MP emploring his charges to attack, and his substitutions proved that, bringing on Davis instead of an attacker. It's the same every game, we look ok early, score a goal, then sit back for 60 minutes and let the opposition attack us until inevitably then score at least one, often more.

Manager doesn't stand behind each player for the 90 minutes of each game telling him what to do. The tactics are just a guideline, after that it's down to the players. Didn't Romeu say just that only this week? Fans lend far too much importance to the manager. Football is about the players.

I feel very angry that Les and Kat avoided splashing out on a top quality replacement for Mane when Kruger's enormous salary could have made a difference. Kruger must be raking in a small fortune from Saints and we'll probably be paying him a wapping pension when he eventually leaves.

How much is Krueger’s salary?

Manager doesn't stand behind each player for the 90 minutes of each game telling him what to do. The tactics are just a guideline, after that it's down to the players. Didn't Romeu say just that only this week? Fans lend far too much importance to the manager. Football is about the players.

Of course it is, but look at Palace, Hammers and Swansea - their players didn't suddenly improve overnight, it was the change in attitude, tactics and man management of the new manager - which is what we have needed for ages, and is probably too late to fix......

In that case then why does a manager matter at all? Why was Alex Ferguson consistently brilliant for years if he didn't matter? Why did poch get us playing such great entertaining football? You're talking b*llocks.

Nah, not true. Romeu was just a easy platitude, he's hardly going to say different.

It's not about the micro management of "standing behind each player for 90 minutes" (whoever thought a manager does that??) but it is about strategy, game management, people management, creating a culture of success, recognised standards, discipline, incremental gains, providing focus, a positive working environment and so on and so on. I haven't even mentioned picking the flipping team.

Our manager has destroyed the team by being sh it at most of the above. I don't know what bits he is actually sh it at because I'm not there but the output of it is what dribbles out on to the pitch each week. Rubbish.

He's not manager for "90 minutes", he's manager for every day, every training session, every debrief, every planning meeting, every team build, every decision, every argument, every bust-up, every bonding session.

We also know he picks terrible sides and often terrible tactics - that much we can see. In the 90 mins he's clearly terrible.

If you dropped our Mauricio in place of that other famous Mauricio, do you think Spurs would do just as well as now? Because it's all about the players right? Pellegrino for Pep?

Edited by CB Fry

Is he even full time?

He can’t be. In the past, he’s taken leaves to coach the Rest of Europe team (or whatever it was called) that lost to Canada in the hockey World Cup final in 2016, and he had a back room role for Canada’s victorious men’s hockey team at the Sochi Olympics.

It would at least suggest he’s not involved in the to the day-to-day business of running of the club.

Exactly right, seems the club really has been consumed by it's own spin - I think they genuinely think they think they look in control of the situation and they think they look above/better than other clubs by not sacking him.

It's so strange that the narrative of finishing top 8/challenging for Europe has been diminished into clinging on to our league status just because we refuse to sack someone who is patently incapable of delivering that.

We could have sacked this guy in November and be challenging top 8 right now. But smug pig-headed pride has stopped us doing what any other club would have done.

Our media perception of being a "well run club" is shot to sh it whether we stay up or not.

The Paul Merson/Talksport/rent-a-pundit truisms of "you can't keep selling your best players etc etc" AND "who do SFC think they are if they sack a manager who took them to 8th" will have both been proven correct if we finish 17th or 20th. We've gifted them being proven right on a plate.

The idea that the club think that them smugly saying "look at us sticking by the manager" is going to trump those notions is a joke - the season has been a total failure, staying up or not.

So, here we are kamikaze-ing out the league for what? Some Argentine barely any Saints fan had even heard of this time last year. What the actual fu ck.

Cant agree more with this!

Exactly this really. You can imagine Lesley, in a darkened corner of Staplewood propped up against a spluttering Black Box, furiously scripting the would-be official Saints press release if we were to miraculously survive. There would definitely be a not-so veiled reference to West Brom's ownership restructure and managerial change, and various boll*cks about us trusting the process, sticking to our principles and not panicking. But of course this season will end in tragedy, so Les' against-all-odds diatribe will never see the light of day.

Nah, not true. Romeu was just a easy platitude, he's hardly going to say different.

It's not about the micro management of "standing behind each player for 90 minutes" (whoever thought a manager does that??) but it is about strategy, game management, people management, creating a culture of success, recognised standards, discipline, incremental gains, providing focus, a positive working environment and so on and so on. I haven't even mentioned picking the flipping team.

Our manager has destroyed the team by being sh it at most of the above. I don't know what bits he is actually sh it at because I'm not there but the output of it is what dribbles out on to the pitch each week. Rubbish.

He's not manager for "90 minutes", he's manager for every day, every training session, every debrief, every planning meeting, every team build, every decision, every argument, every bust-up, every bonding session.

We also know he picks terrible sides and often terrible tactics - that much we can see. In the 90 mins he's clearly terrible.

If you dropped our Mauricio in place of that other famous Mauricio, do you think Spurs would do just as well as now? Because it's all about the players right? Pellegrino for Pep?

Head and nail :thumbup:

If Kane and Toby played for us and Long and Hoedt played for Spurs probably there would not be much difference between our League Positions.

It is because we have not outstanding players that we are in the position we find ourselves

If Kane and Toby played for us and Long and Hoedt played for Spurs probably there would not be much difference between our League Positions.

It is because we have not outstanding players that we are in the position we find ourselves

behave yourself.

you think Kane being the best striker in the world has little to do with the manager?

I'd like to see them, or Gabbiadini or Boufal or Lemina or Oriel or Cedric or even JWP playing for Pochettino.

Something inside me reckons he'd get more out of them.

If you genuinely think we'd be bottom three if we had Pochettino in charge then I've got nothing to say really.

Edited by CB Fry

I'd like to see them, or Gabbiadini or Boufal or Lemina or Oriel or Cedric or even JWP playing for Pochettino.

Something inside me reckons he'd get more out if them.

If you genuinely think we'd be bottom three if we had Pochettino in charge then I've got nothing to say really.

You maybe right but Poch is one of the really top managers in the world and it would be unlikely to attract someone of his calibre again.

Having followed SFC for over sixty years there is not one of the our current players in my opinion would get into an eighteen team squad containing all the Saints players I have seen.

It is the players which count the most I think but of course a decent manager does help but scoring goals helps too - how many goals have the strikers and attacking midfielders scored in the PL this year

You maybe right but Poch is one of the really top managers in the world and it would be unlikely to attract someone of his calibre again.

Having followed SFC for over sixty years there is not one of the our current players in my opinion would get into an eighteen team squad containing all the Saints players I have seen.

It is the players which count the most I think but of course a decent manager does help but scoring goals helps too - how many goals have the strikers and attacking midfielders scored in the PL this year

You can’t score goals if the manager doesn’t set up the team in a correct formation and with square pegs for the round holes if you’ve watched for 60 years you must be a slow learner

Something inside me reckons he'd get more out of them.

Poch - the only manager to get anything from JayRod says it all. He made Jay look world class.

Like him or not - much like Pep, he has the ability to get the very best out of players. Players love him (he generally is a top bloke as well btw) and that reflects in their performance.

If poch has stayed with us, we’d have pretty much kept our squad together and IMO would be where spurs are now.

behave yourself.

you think Kane being the best striker in the world has little to do with the manager?

Chicken and egg. Do good strikers make good managers or do good managers make good strikers. You reckon spurs would have done as well as they have the last few seasons if their main striker was Shane Long?

Poch wasn't able to make Gaston or Osvaldo decent players in the PL some players and managers just work.

You can’t score goals if the manager doesn’t set up the team in a correct formation and with square pegs for the round holes if you’ve watched for 60 years you must be a slow learner

That's complete nonsense the current strikers are equivalent of Norman Dean .Brett Ormerod Keith Cassells and Kerry Dixon who hardly ever scored

I suppose you never saw Derek Reeves George O'Brien Terry Paine Phil Boyer Ted McDougal Ron Davies Martin Chivers Steve Moran Kevin Keegan MLT Rickie Lambert Pelle Alan Shearer and Mane they were top class players who scored literally hundreds of goals for Saints there is no one of their calibre at SFC now .

Although Derek Reeves probably missed more clear cut chances than he scored

Of course there we many top class midfielders the Wallace Brothers David Armstrong Stevie Williams who scored regularly as well.

We have had some really top class attacking players at SFC who played consistently well which we don't have now

That’s clearly nonsense, a good manager makes a massive difference.

Chicken and egg. Do good strikers make good managers or do good managers make good strikers. You reckon spurs would have done as well as they have the last few seasons if their main striker was Shane Long?

Poch wasn't able to make Gaston or Osvaldo decent players in the PL some players and managers just work.

Not so much chicken and egg as incremental gains/declines from natural or starting level.

Shane Long would be better under Poch.

Kane would be worse under Pellegrino.

This is just about them as managers and What they get out of players in general.

I'm not considering managers having favourites or particular player enjoying playing for one boss, also known as the Kevin Nolan/Paul Telfer rule. That's a separate thing.

Take a bow.

Perfectly sums up our situation.

Fantastic post.

Not so much chicken and egg as incremental gains/declines from natural or starting level.

This is just about them as managers and What they get out of players in general.

I'm not considering managers having favourites or particular player enjoying playing for one boss, also known as the Kevin Nolan/Paul Telfer rule. That's a separate thing.

Value added.

Sounds to me that you have resigned yourself to the fact that we are going down. Unfortunately your views seem to coincide with the boards god help us.

The tactics and player selection play a huge part and poor decisions in both are costing us this season. Pellegrino is stifling this squad from any attacking threat and also appears poor at both motivational skills and defensive organisation. Compelylely out of his depth and we have a squad a competent manager could do a lot with.

Last thing any of us fans want is relegation but it really isn’t the end of the World. Isn’t it only Arsenal among current Premier League sides that has never been relegated? The table is full of sides that have come up from the Championship. It’s a shame that this period in the Prem looks like being a shirt one but be confident of returning and a season of winning more games than we lose.

Last thing any of us fans want is relegation but it really isn’t the end of the World. Isn’t it only Arsenal among current Premier League sides that has never been relegated? The table is full of sides that have come up from the Championship. It’s a shame that this period in the Prem looks like being a shirt one but be confident of returning and a season of winning more games than we lose.

It would be a financial disaster for the club and I'd rather have a **** season in the Premier League and stay up than a very good season in the Championship. Far better for the future of the club.

Edited by Matthew Le God

It would be a financial disaster for the club and I'd rather have a **** season in the Premier League and stay up than a very good season in the Championship. Far better for the future of the club.

Here’s a post from you I throughly agree with. Pity Les, Kreuger and the other useless wasters don’t put seem to.

. Isn’t it only Arsenal among current Premier League sides that has never been relegated? .

Arsenal have the longest unbroken run in the top division, but they have been relegated. In fact, they are the only Premier League side not to have reached the top division by promotion on merit. They bought their way to getting elected-in in 1919.

That’s clearly nonsense, a good manager makes a massive difference.

Since losing Pelle, Big Vic & Mane we have an average bunch of players. An average bunch that with a good manager would be top 10, and with a bad one fighting relegation.

Apart from the full backs & maybe Lamina, the rest are much of a muchness. The 3 centre halves are pretty similar level. PEH & JWP, does it really matter which plays. Is there much between Tadic & Boufal, OR would have been a massive miss last season, but somebody could perform that role to a similar standard he has this season. Even our strikers without Austin are just average. Long runs around and can't score, Gabbi good movement but doesn't score, Guido gives us a little bit of focus, but doesn't appear able to score. It's not like anyone missing will be missed that much. look at the keepers, both just average. We've a squad of 6/10 players, with maybe 3 exceptions. However the 3 exceptions aren't strikers or goal makers like Le Tiss was. If 5 of our regulars were missing, that'd be disastrous for other sides at the bottom. We'd bring 5 in and they'd be no worse, crucially they'd be no better either.

A manager is only as good as the tools he's given and since RK left, they've been given some blunt tools. There is no way on earth anyone could take this bunch to top 6, not a chance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I wish I shared your confidence. I really can't see us getting back up any time soon. As it happened, the last time we were relegated administration actually helped us in that it bought us to the attention of Markus. This time we will be one of the teams that every other wants to beat, really don't see us handling the pressure, or being back in the top flight for a good few years.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

What is the future? It's pretty bleak, not just for us but for all the also rans... The big 6 will force the overseas rights to be split in their favour and the gap will grow.

The fodder will be raped of their stars consistently and the league will become more like the Spanish league every year with 4 teams running away with it and the rest there just as their cannon fodder between games against each other.

Financially for the club,staying up will only see Gao benefit..it doesn't affect me.

I wish I shared your confidence. I really can't see us getting back up any time soon. As it happened, the last time we were relegated administration actually helped us in that it bought us to the attention of Markus. This time we will be one of the teams that every other wants to beat, really don't see us handling the pressure, or being back in the top flight for a good few years.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

Does that really matter? Bournemouth never got to the top flight ever until recently and they still had fans who enjoyed going each week.

The premier league is not the be all and end all!

This is true but you can't get past the fact that some players are just naturally better than others. If saints had Kane up front this season we would be in a better position than now he is a natural goal scorer. If Spurs had Long (even one improved by poch) they would be in a worse position than they are now.

I've literally had another theory- what if we aren't sacking Pellegrino in order to seem like a club who doesn't constantly hire and fire? I mean from the outside and a managers perspective- it doesn't look good for a club to constantly sack a man every three months if we aren't in the top 10. It does also echo some of the stuff Pellegrino comes out with in his pressers, like when he says 'the club has been nice to me, very supportive of me' or when he said something about Krueger offering support to him [Pellegrino]. I reckon the board are making him say that though to make us look good again- or to simply feed Reed's ego.

Therefore, maybe we are just taking a massive gamble and will try to ride the season out in order to look good to prospective managers for the summer (which is when I guess Pellegrino will go- I fear 4 months too late by then if we go down).

However, whilst the sentiment with the theory above, to me it just seems like we are rewarding mediocrity. We really should have rid of him after the Palace debacle, or even the Leicester game. I'm sure he is a lovely guy, just tactically inept for the PL.

Since losing Pelle, Big Vic & Mane we have an average bunch of players. An average bunch that with a good manager would be top 10, and with a bad one fighting relegation.

Apart from the full backs & maybe Lamina, the rest are much of a muchness. The 3 centre halves are pretty similar level. PEH & JWP, does it really matter which plays. Is there much between Tadic & Boufal, OR would have been a massive miss last season, but somebody could perform that role to a similar standard he has this season. Even our strikers without Austin are just average. Long runs around and can't score, Gabbi good movement but doesn't score, Guido gives us a little bit of focus, but doesn't appear able to score. It's not like anyone missing will be missed that much. look at the keepers, both just average. We've a squad of 6/10 players, with maybe 3 exceptions. However the 3 exceptions aren't strikers or goal makers like Le Tiss was. If 5 of our regulars were missing, that'd be disastrous for other sides at the bottom. We'd bring 5 in and they'd be no worse, crucially they'd be no better either.

A manager is only as good as the tools he's given and since RK left, they've been given some blunt tools. There is no way on earth anyone could take this bunch to top 6, not a chance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bloody hell, I actually agree with you. You have contradicted yourself however with the first and final paragraphs

Yes, I'd say we have, at best, a top 8 squad with maybe a cup final thrown in. Someone who could achieve that would be more or less getting the best out of the current lot, especially with the chronic lack of goal-scorers. However with a semi-decent manager the squad should not be any where near the drop zone, and anyone who has us in the bottom three is clearly a clueless muppet.