Pellegrino OUT

Batman

Keep him he will come good. Has to be backed in January window big time. Team is a good one up the striking options where we have only gabbi who himself isn't the most prolific.

Will he be backed in January? Do you have any interesting snippets?

Keep him he will come good. Has to be backed in January window big time. Team is a good one up the striking options where we have only gabbi who himself isn't the most prolific.
I do hope you are right, but how can we come good, when we had the gift of an early goal and then were petrified to go for their throats. Brighton were there for the taking. We just sat back while he stood with his arms folded, not getting the players to move up. I can see why his tam hardly scored in the Spanish leagues.

Tadic just stops the play and holds back the flow of an attack. As for his lying down pretending to be hurt, thus stopping our attack is pathetic.The playacting just got the Brighton fans backs up and they then liftd the atmosphere and got their team moving a bit more

Not sure I share your optimism based on the tactics employed thus far. PS in January we need a decent keeper above all else

Big mistake to fire Puel. MP has week in, week out uninterrupted coaching time following the Wolves shambles. As a result of the terrific League Cup run, and the disappointing Europa stuff, Puel had to manage a dozen more games before January than MP will have. And MP has Lemina (hopefully!), Hoedt and a fit VVD.

I heard him say yesterday that end of season target was between 50 and 60 points. The lower end of that to me, given the very different circumstances compared to Puel, would not represent progress.

Like many have commented, I am concerned that our league position and points per game so far is overstated given that we have only played one team who finished above us last season. Consequently we are going to need a massive second half of the season to get anywhere near MP’s own target, which as above I think is a soft one.

I would not pull the trigger yet, and still believe that the squad lacks an effective tall and genuinely match fit striker to give us a different way of playing. Reed needs to take the blame for that. However I think that December will be the key to MP’s future. I think an optimistic view gives us 19 points after these next four games, and then from the other five clubs we are yet to play I can’t see more than six. That would get us to 25 from playing everyone once. In my opinion that is the absolute minimum to keep MP for the January window and beyond.

Big mistake to fire Puel. MP has week in, week out uninterrupted coaching time following the Wolves shambles. As a result of the terrific League Cup run, and the disappointing Europa stuff, Puel had to manage a dozen more games before January than MP will have. And MP has Lemina (hopefully!), Hoedt and a fit VVD.

I heard him say yesterday that end of season target was between 50 and 60 points. The lower end of that to me, given the very different circumstances compared to Puel, would not represent progress.

Like many have commented, I am concerned that our league position and points per game so far is overstated given that we have only played one team who finished above us last season. Consequently we are going to need a massive second half of the season to get anywhere near MP’s own target, which as above I think is a soft one.

I would not pull the trigger yet, and still believe that the squad lacks an effective tall and genuinely match fit striker to give us a different way of playing. Reed needs to take the blame for that. However I think that December will be the key to MP’s future. I think an optimistic view gives us 19 points after these next four games, and then from the other five clubs we are yet to play I can’t see more than six. That would get us to 25 from playing everyone once. In my opinion that is the absolute minimum to keep MP for the January window and beyond.

Well when Puel did get time on the training ground we got worse....especially at home.

Loads of excuses for Puel he had the option to change he didn't want to...his choice.

Not backed by the club but turgid football at home.

Fans wanted a change based on good appointments of Pardew, Adkins,Poch and Koeman was that expectation to improve on Puel wrong based on that history?

We seem one window behind buy a striker in the Pelle/Lambert mould we just might succeed.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

I agree Billy. MP clearly has the abilities and intelligence. We just have a bunch of impatient children for fans that want us to play like Barcelona and be served up instant success. Given where we were 7years ago I think some serious perspective is needed; we have a good manager and he will prove it!

I agree Billy. MP clearly has the abilities and intelligence. We just have a bunch of impatient children for fans that want us to play like Barcelona and be served up instant success. Given where we were 7years ago I think some serious perspective is needed; we have a good manager and he will prove it!
"Remember where we come from" is growing tiresome. It's a happy clappers kop out. The football has been garbage. That's down to manager and no one else.

Sent from my SM-A300FU using Tapatalk

It's the manager that wants us to play like Barcelona not the fans, the fans are smart enough to understand though that playing like Barcelona only works if you've got Iniesta and Messi, not JWP and Redmond

Genuine question: what has MPe done so far that suggests progress from when he arrived? I’m strugfling to see any improvement. That doesn’t mean we should be the finished article as such but what’s actually improved? Surely there must be some signs of progress? The midfield looked so easy to brush aside. Romeu was awful and kept giving the ball away too! There seems to be no link up between the midfield and defence and nothing seems to have improved this so far. I really want something positive to cling to. Can anyone give me some progress they’ve noticed that I haven’t?

Whilst Barcelona have been successful I have always found their keep ball style hard to watch. It bores me rigid. To me, to you, to me, to you, rinse and repeat. Now it seems to be the template for 'controlling the game' - Pellegrino's only strategy. It's dire, turgid stuff. There is a place for keep ball, but we need to be able to mix it up. Down the wings, through the middle, lump the odd one up to a big number 9 and support with 2 up front. It's just the same old same old every week under Pellegrino and whilst, through easier fixtures, we seem to be doing OK, in the longer run not scoring goals and having FF in goal is going to lead us to our worst league finish in many years with the bonus of boring us all to death in the process. He needs to change or clear off. Too many of our so called supporters too weak to make the hard calls.

Whilst Barcelona have been successful I have always found their keep ball style hard to watch. It bores me rigid. To me, to you, to me, to you, rinse and repeat. Now it seems to be the template for 'controlling the game' - Pellegrino's only strategy. It's dire, turgid stuff. There is a place for keep ball, but we need to be able to mix it up. Down the wings, through the middle, lump the odd one up to a big number 9 and support with 2 up front. It's just the same old same old every week under Pellegrino and whilst, through easier fixtures, we seem to be doing OK, in the longer run not scoring goals and having FF in goal is going to lead us to our worst league finish in many years with the bonus of boring us all to death in the process. He needs to change or clear off. Too many of our so called supporters too weak to make the hard calls.

In fairness Man city have the most passes, the most back passes and the least long passes this season they also have the most shots and the most goals scored this season and no one would describe them as boring to watch this season surely?

Edited by doddisalegend

Genuine question: what has MPe done so far that suggests progress from when he arrived? I’m strugfling to see any improvement. That doesn’t mean we should be the finished article as such but what’s actually improved? Surely there must be some signs of progress? The midfield looked so easy to brush aside. Romeu was awful and kept giving the ball away too! There seems to be no link up between the midfield and defence and nothing seems to have improved this so far. I really want something positive to cling to. Can anyone give me some progress they’ve noticed that I haven’t?

I was thinking something similar this weekend. Unfortunately I have seen no progress from the beginning of the season to the game against Brighton.

I hope we have a good FA Cup run. JWP said the club's target was European football, so that's probably our best chance.

I'll go mental if Pellegrino names weakened teams. I remember when we lost at Sunderland in the FA Cup under Pochettino when we had nothing else to play for.

I hope we have a good FA Cup run. JWP said the club's target was European football, so that's probably our best chance.

I'll go mental if Pellegrino names weakened teams. I remember when we lost at Sunderland in the FA Cup under Pochettino when we had nothing else to play for.

Totally disagree. The Premier League is vital to the future of the club, not the FA Cup. I would give the second string squad a chance and keep clear of injuries etc.

In fairness Man city have the most passes, the most back passes and the least long passes this season they also have the most shots and the most goals scored this season and no one would describe them as boring to watch this season surely?

Because they, like Barcelona, have players all over the pitch capable of injecting pace into their game in a split second and are prepared to take risks. De Bruyne is a great example of a midfielder always willing to play the riskier pass.

We have Nathan Redmond

Given where we were 7 years before that then maybe action is required .

I guess your one of these people who sing "we've come from league One" well we Haven't the players , managers and even chairmen have long since gone .

Our neighbours in the stand at home games traipse all the way down from Northampton, half time v WBA Mrs turns round to us "ah good to see it running to script" "Its so predictable".

The one question I have, in his back room staff, we are suppose to have some bloke who apparently wrote a book that is alleged to be a coaching tactical masterpiece, the Sun Tzu of football by some accounts...............did it get lost down the back of a bookcase in Alaves?

You can’t judge managers on a dozen games, particularly one with his managerial experience. Some managers take a while to settle in and start imbedding their ideas into the squad. Puel was an extremely experienced manager , this guy is a novice in comparison. Obviously I’d have kept Puel, but that horse has bolted. At the moment we look like a side with no direction, we don’t look particularly well coached , but with a manger learning on the job, is it any surprise? Hopefully behind the scenes he’s working with the younger players, imposing his views and putting a structure in place. He clearly hasn’t hit the ground running and whilst some managers do, others don’t. 18 months should be the minimum unless you’re a complete chump, I’ve seen nothing to suggest he’s a complete chump, just an inexperienced guy coming to term with a bigger job than he’s used to. Maybe he needs an experienced hand. Tony Pullis has Gerry Francis, maybe a similar figure could come in as a sounding board for a while.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Come January, back him or sack him.

An attacking signing of the same quality of Lemina, please.

Probably will happen but you would expect it’s going to be on the last few days of the transfer window which ****es me off.

Then it takes them a further 3 weeks to bed them before they start producing.

Wish Les could wrap a deal up come the first week so we get our first choice.

Because they, like Barcelona, have players all over the pitch capable of injecting pace into their game in a split second and are prepared to take risks. De Bruyne is a great example of a midfielder always willing to play the riskier pass.

We have Nathan Redmond

I don't disagree but the post I was replying to said possession football is boring my point is it's not if you have the players capable of turning the possession into goals.

Can't agree with you there, striking options are decent enough, just don't get the service. How much would we have to spend to improve on Gabbiadini?

We do need a better option for creative attacking midfielders, but we should still be getting more out of the options we have - Tadic, Boufal and Redmond aren't world beaters, but they're better and have more to offer than we're seeing under the current regime.

Interesting debate taking place following the under 17's world cup win and the need for managerial stability if young talent is to be given a chance. Mangers who are constantly looking over their shoulder tend to stick with proven if uninspiring squad players. I still believe sacking Puel was mistake, the short termism of the modern game does not do us any favours and todays fans seem incapable of seeing beyond the next game. Whilst the agents of our rise from the ashes of League 1 are all gone the vison and strategy is still valid and must remain, stability is key.

I would question your basic premise here. If we were relegated it would not be the end of the world for the club.

If we got relegated and won the FA Cup, it would be far worse than surviving in the Premier League and getting knocked out of the Cup at an early stage. Think Wigan.

Our neighbours in the stand at home games traipse all the way down from Northampton, half time v WBA Mrs turns round to us "ah good to see it running to script" "Its so predictable".

The one question I have, in his back room staff, we are suppose to have some bloke who apparently wrote a book that is alleged to be a coaching tactical masterpiece, the Sun Tzu of football by some accounts...............did it get lost down the back of a bookcase in Alaves?

the copy he handed to Pardew when Reed arrived went straight in the bin, that is a fact

All the cliches are coming out again! No one wants us to play like Barcelona, they would like us to be a bit more attacking though and more prepared to take risks. Some may have questioned our formation also considering the players at our disposal. Where we were 7 years ago has no relevance to now, it's just something people say to make them feel better about a string of poor performances. Everyone has acknowledged how much of an achievement it was to get into the Prem and to stay there and it really doesn't need bringing up for the umpteenth time.

I've seen nothing to suggest this guy is going to or even wants to change his coaching style, ffs it was plainly evident this is how he sets his teams up even prior to joining saints.

It's an absolute joke why he was hired in the first place, to bring in a more expansive and exciting style than Puel?, oh do me a favour! . What is Reed on, has his head totally gone?, might as well have a seven year old picking the next manager.

We must be pretty close to FFP limits aren't we?

Yes. Also, the new owner told him in August that there would be no new money for players. Unless things have changed that probably is still the situation and we certainly haven't sold anybody of any significance. A few loans or out of contract players may be but wishful hopes of a multi-million pound raid on Europe's best should not be entertained, it won't happen.

Saints fans "I hate the modern pl, where is the loyalty?"

Also Saints fans "let's keep firing managers every 6 months."

I don't think that we are to far away from this to be honest. Look at the last two managers, one got us to eighth (forget how, he did) and this one currently has us in the top ten, but lots of people want him sacked as well.

I'm not sure that some people really understand where we sit in the football pyramid or have realistic expectations about what we should be achieving. But if we keep hounding managers out of the door after ten games I can't see that that is good for the long term stability of the club.

Getting rid of Pellegrini now would be stupid. How could we expect to attract a top manager on the back of sacking 2 managers in 6 months? He needs to improve the attacking performance of the team, but I don't think he is working with great players in that regard, certainly not players who would walk into a normal top 7 team.

I don't think that we are to far away from this to be honest. Look at the last two managers, one got us to eighth (forget how, he did) and this one currently has us in the top ten, but lots of people want him sacked as well.

I'm not sure that some people really understand where we sit in the football pyramid or have realistic expectations about what we should be achieving. But if we keep hounding managers out of the door after ten games I can't see that that is good for the long term stability of the club.

It's your hero Les Reed who sacks the managers, not the fans. Although he was considered an unisnspring appointment, most of our fans think that with the depleted attacking options he was left with, Puel had done enough to at least deserve starting this season as our manager; Les Reed didn't.

Getting rid of Pellegrini now would be stupid. How could we expect to attract a top manager on the back of sacking 2 managers in 6 months? He needs to improve the attacking performance of the team, but I don't think he is working with great players in that regard, certainly not players who would walk into a normal top 7 team.

That was the problem ...we didn't appoint Pellegrini when we had the chance - look at his record compared to the last 2 managers

It's your hero Les Reed who sacks the managers, not the fans. Although he was considered an unisnspring appointment, most of our fans think that with the depleted attacking options he was left with, Puel had done enough to at least deserve starting this season as our manager; Les Reed didn't.

Really? I must be reading different posts to you on this forum 90% on here where desperate for Puel to get the elbow. Also the word on the street is Les was happy for Puel to carry on if he tweaked the style of Football Puel said no and walked...

Really? I must be reading different posts to you on this forum 90% on here where desperate for Puel to get the elbow. Also the word on the street is Les was happy for Puel to carry on if he tweaked the style of Football Puel said no and walked...

90% want Forster, Tadic and Redmond hung, drawn and quartered(did you see that in Gunpowder...yuk) doesn't mean bugger all

Really? I must be reading different posts to you on this forum 90% on here where desperate for Puel to get the elbow...

They were. Of course you won’t find many admitting it if he does a good job at Leicester. Some will tough it out claiming Leicester have better players, or we choose the wrong replacement, but most will claim they thought he deserved another year, and blame Les Reed.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Is Pelligrino a top manager then? We don't appoint those, we get the ones who may become so

Anyone actually calling for the managers head at this point is ****ing deluded. He has been in the job for only a couple of months and we sit firmly in mid-table. Yea the football is a bit dull but FFS, give the guy a break. Are the people calling for the managers head the same sort that are unable to satisfy their partners? "Sorry love I just wanted to blow my load immediately!" :******:

Anyone actually calling for the managers head at this point is ****ing deluded. He has been in the job for only a couple of months and we sit firmly in mid-table. Yea the football is a bit dull but FFS, give the guy a break. Are the people calling for the managers head the same sort that are unable to satisfy their partners? "Sorry love I just wanted to blow my load immediately!" :******:

I wouldn't consider 5 points off 18th with all the best teams yet to play 'firmly mid-table' personally.

I wouldn't sack him, he's finding his feet and I think he has more to offer - What I do hope is that he becomes braver than what he has been though.