Let’s have some serious managerial options

Pilchards

Eddie Howe or Brendon flashing teeth Rogers are not nearly as good as they think they are and would be a VERY bad move for the Club , please never , never , never !

Howe doesn't strike me as someone with a high opinion of himself. Generally comes across as a pretty humble and level headed guy

Great hair? Check. Well-cut suit jacket? Check. Managed at mid-table euro teams? Check. Out of contract in the summer? Check.

If he also wears tight trousers, I think we have our man.

Paulo Fonseca

Fonseca looks more than decent. Winning a treble in difficult circumstances, impressive. Everton may have him on the radar, but maybe somewhere down the line, we could be serious bidders.

Howe will not come here, not a chance.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Good - Probably the most overrated manager out there.

Cannot deny he has done well with Bmouth, where expectation are very low. But lets not forget they have spent a massive amount of money (for them) to get where they are.

He wen't to Burnley and failed, I see nothing to suggest that he wouldn't do the same at any other club he goes to. He just seems to be the right man at the right club for him at the moment (Think Nigel Adkins).

I'd much prefer Dyche, if I had to pick between the 2.

I think Rodgers would suit us and he'd be on my shortlist.

Other left field British suggestions would be Chris Wilder or Gary Rowett but both would be a massive risk - probably one for when we get relegated next season!

Gary Rowett is completely overrated. As is Eddie Howe.

Dyche would be a decent choice. Could see Leicester going in for him potentially.

Really? look at Brum since he was ridiculously sacked.... He's generally been a success at every club he's been at. I don't see how you've come to the conclusion he's overrated, but everyone is entitled to their opinion.

He's only playing to their strengths and budget. Pretty much said it himself. That's a sign of a good manager. With a bigger budget, he could be the best English manager about. Cant be any worse than what we've been putting up with! Hopefully he'd bring heaton with him!

There's no sign that he would adapt to our strengths, though. He's quite evangelical about his style of football, and good for him, but bringing it to our squad would be a reverse De Boer.

'Can't be worse', in managers as in players, is never a good reason to do anything.

I don't want Pellegrino sacked, but I think we should keep an eye on the situation at Newcastle. If Pellegrino doesn't improve and Benitez ends up reaching for the door we should be in the scrum for him. That wouldn't guarantee thrilling, expansive football all the time but it would certainly make us strong.

Edited by DuncanRG

As with Puel, there's a danger a noisy bunch of fans will be architects of our own demise. Mangers in any team need time to make an impact. Sure you can get the odd ocassion when switching in a new guy makes a big difference, however most of the he time though it's counter productive (unless you are looking for a scrape to 40 pots merchant like Allardyxe)

Mostly instant manager success comes when there is core of a team that needs to be woken up or at least stabilised. For the rest long term success happens where a team gets built - Pochettino had an awful start at Spurs for example.

We need to avoid a change the manager death spiral.

Fan power called for Puel out - there's no way he could have stayed - but arguably we just compound things by moving Pellegrino on. In my opinion, the fundamental problem is we haven't replaced Pele (and replaced Mane with lesser quality). Pele is the biggest loss however, we have no one who can hold the ball up and allow others to join the attack.

No chance a short term manager change will solve that.

As with Puel, there's a danger a noisy bunch of fans will be architects of our own demise. Mangers in any team need time to make an impact. Sure you can get the odd ocassion when switching in a new guy makes a big difference, however most of the he time though it's counter productive (unless you are looking for a scrape to 40 pots merchant like Allardyxe)

Mostly instant manager success comes when there is core of a team that needs to be woken up or at least stabilised. For the rest long term success happens where a team gets built - Pochettino had an awful start at Spurs for example.

Fan power called for Puel out - there's no way he could have stayed - but arguably we just compound things by moving Pellegrino on. In my opinion, the fundamental problem is we haven't replaced Pele (and replaced Mane with lesser quality). Pele is the biggest loss however, we have no one who can hold the ball up and allow others to join the attack.

Good post...

Back Pellegrino in Jan with the intention of addressing the attacking issues. Why pull the trigger now? It's not like someone else is going to magically polish turds. We at times struggled last season to stick the ball in the net.

Maybe the conclusion is our players are average.... New manager wouldn't make a difference. Sell Van D! and reinvest up top. He isn't going to be the same player whilst he remains.....

As with Puel, there's a danger a noisy bunch of fans will be architects of our own demise.....Fan power called for Puel out.

Reasonable post other than these bits. A few gobby fans ranting on a messageboard didn't bring about Puel's demise, more a faltering demand for tickets to watch the turgid football on offer. We must have some of the meekest, most polite fans around inside St Mary's, other than a few half-hearted "boos" there was never any real show of a vocal onslaught.

BTW, there's no way I'd be considering getting shot of Pelegrino already, crazy talk by the keyboard bashers.

Reasonable post other than these bits. A few gobby fans ranting on a messageboard didn't bring about Puel's demise, more a faltering demand for tickets to watch the turgid football on offer. We must have some of the meekest, most polite fans around inside St Mary's, other than a few half-hearted "boos" there was never any real show of a vocal onslaught.

BTW, there's no way I'd be considering getting shot of Pelegrino already, crazy talk by the keyboard bashers.

Yet weirdly we are apparently selling out SMS every game this season despite the football on show being worse than last season.

Let's remember also the rumours of players being unhappy too. I'm sure that had a significant impact even if it doesn't suit the narrative of how disgusting all our fans are.

Let's remember also the rumours of players being unhappy too. I'm sure that had a significant impact even if it doesn't suit the narrative of how disgusting all our fans are.

Weren't the main culprits of unhappiness allegedly Bertrand, Long, Redmond and VVD? Good to see that they have upped their game now they got what they wanted.

Les Reed sacked Puel. Nobody else.

Do you really think Les Reed makes decisions because on what fans post on a messageboard? Some fans liked Puel, some didn't. Most thought that he had done enough in getting us to 8th place and a cup final to deserve starting this season with us. Les Reed didn't.

What a load of nonsense, there was a little bit of booing and a couple of chants from a handful in the Northam at the last game. You are just making stuff up.

It certainly is.

At the end of last season he was posting this:

19-05-2017, 12:43 PM #1806

Alain Perrin

Swindon

Ultimately the club (Uncle Les et. al.) will make the decision that they believe is best.

On one hand I think we should give Puel a chance and whilst the quality hasn't been there on the pitch I think he has managed a difficult season well (lots of games, compressed schedule and unfortunate injuries). However our points total isn't great (although I'd point to the Christmas period as being a critical factor - we had a really poor run coupled with the worst schedule of all clubs).

I do think there's a danger that managers aren't given enough time to deliver. Whilst you can bring in a Conte to manage a bunch of world class players - if you're in the next pack down like Saints, you have more of a building job to do. And that takes more than one season in my opinion.

Only the club can know what the player relationships are like (all I see is some on-pitch bickering which could be a bad sign) and if they think there are issues there I think he'll go.

-----------------------------------------

Now, because at this point in time it's not looking like a great decsion, he's trying to shift the blame to the fans.

Yet weirdly we are apparently selling out SMS every game this season despite the football on show being worse than last season.

That's maybe because we did get shot of Puel bringing in a new man with expectation and rumour of a more Pochettino-esque pressing game that most seemed to appreciate. It was the very slow season ticket sales that probably panicked the club (and prompted them to start phone up Saints ST holders that hadn't renewed) and sealed Puel's fate.

Joe Kinnear has the mobile phone number of every big manager in Europe and they are keen to speak with him.

Get Kinnear in as Footballing Director, reporting to the Director of Football but with a separate reporting line to the Football Executive Director, and we'll be saying Nagelsman before we know it.

Exactly. As much as Lord Duckhunter likes to play the "you all got him sacked, how horrid of you" card, the bottom line is that the players weren't keen and as soon as that happens, it's goodnight.

As if the board give two ****s about what we think.

• 2 months later...
Nuno Espírito Santo.

But, you know with Old Les making the decisions, it's unlikely we'll get anyone better than Puel. I said at the time people were calling for Puel to be replaced that it would only be a case of out of the fying pan into the fire,as the person making the decision would still be the same. Remember, our best manager Pochettino, was scouted and selected by Paul Mitchell and Cortese, not Ross Wilson and Reed.

We're not going to get him now, as Wolves will be in the Premier League next season, but I think we could get Javier Calleja. We can certainly offer much higher wages than Villarreal can.