Saints v WBA build up

trousers

So, we can't drop Forster because our reserve keeper dropped a clanger playing for the u23s. Not much point having a reserve keeper then if he is not going to have an opportunity when our first choice keeper is crap. McCarthy needs to be given a chance in the first team, he can't actually be any worse than Forster, he might be as bad, but will never know unless we try.

He could be a lot ****ing worse. Nothing, absolutely nothing, he's done at the club merits him taking over from Forster.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sadly, looking at the forecast, if the game goes ahead it looks like players will be struggling to stand up straight with winds forecast to exceed 50 mph around kick off time. Given dire warnings, which may improve, I fear we may have a "too dangerous to travel" postponement albeit live TV cameras will heap pressure on decision makers...

In this case, Forster needs to be careful. And we need to keep VVD fit to ensure his price in January will not be discounted.

As no doubt you will have noticed. For the most part the interviews are to an extent stage-managed. We see it all the time, people who have been taught to say the 'right thing' by the PR people, etc. That makes it a charade, not a genuine press conference with intelligent questions and answers and so on. That's the background and the reason for the description.

Why interested? Because perhaps there might be something in it that separates it from the norm (as above). We might glean a bit more about the manager, the team's reaction to the result last week and the ongoing problems as regards our turgid football, we might get something of interest and value. Equally, and more likely, we won't. But a quick synopsis would mean that I could skim that, think there was nowt of interest and go back to something else. If there was something of interest, however, I might decide to then go and look it up or bear it in mind or remember it for future use or ....

Someone will undoubtedly have watched it live. This means they can tell it both factually and as they see it. For example, last year a number of those whose French was of the requisite standard could (and did) make the comment that the translation of some of the questions and the answers weren't as presented to us and they made the comment that the translator was crap and this influenced the answer Puel gave.

I could go on, but I imagine you have the gist of why I asked.

Tadic cannot play on the right and Redmond is even less effective on the left.

Makes me wonder why it always takes our managers so long to figure out that tadic needs to be on the left or in the middle NOT the right

We were much better second half vs Newcastle when tadic and redmond switched sides... anyone suggesting tadic on the right needs to open their eyes!!

He could be a lot ****ing worse. Nothing, absolutely nothing, he's done at the club merits him taking over from Forster.

How on earth do you know that? He's been long term injured and hasn't been given any game time in the league at all. He was fine in his sole appearance at home to Sunderland where we kept a clean sheet. Forster has been awful for the best part of a season and a half so to say McCarthy will be worse with absolutely no evidence to the contrary is complete "pony".

How on earth do you know that? He's been long term injured and hasn't been given any game time in the league at all. He was fine in his sole appearance at home to Sunderland where we kept a clean sheet. Forster has been awful for the best part of a season and a half so to say McCarthy will be worse with absolutely no evidence to the contrary is complete "pony".

I say throw that Jack Rose kid in. He's looked good whenever I've seen him

I have concerns about both forster and McCarthy tbf

James, Lord Duckhunter didn't say McCarthy "would" be worse... he said he "could" be worse. They is a significant difference between the two statements.

I get people aren't happy with Forster (I don't particularly share that view), however to just think McCarthy automatically would be an improvement is flawed. As Lord Duckhunter has stated, they have very little in the way of evidence to think McCarthy would be an improvement.

James, Lord Duckhunter didn't say McCarthy "would" be worse... he said he "could" be worse. They is a significant difference between the two statements.

I get people aren't happy with Forster (I don't particularly share that view), however to just think McCarthy automatically would be an improvement is flawed. As Lord Duckhunter has stated, they have very little in the way of evidence to think McCarthy would be an improvement.

There is no evidence that anybody, anywhere, ever will be better than Forster, so I say we sign him up to a 10 year contract and pray cloning exists by the time he retires.

How can he show that he would be an improvement if he's not given a chance in the first team? This is the argument against Boufal starting a run of games in place of Redmond all over again.

This is where I have a problem with McCarthy. Forster really needs taking out of the firing line at the moment but I don't see any of our other goalkeepers as a better option!

A little perspective needed perhaps? Saints aren't a very poor side, lots of good players at the club with a large number of current/recent internationals. The early to mid 80s and 2013 to now are the two top flight golden ages for the club in it's 132 year history!

Wtf are you going on about, you pedantic *****.

It may help your simple mind if I rephrase it for you then.

2 very poor teams (on current form).

Probably the last decent performance under Puel but apparently we were wrong to sack him.

Making it one more decent performance than we've seen under MoPe so far. Sacking Puel wasn't an issue if we had someone better lined up but so far it looks suspiciously like we've got rid of Coca and replaced him with Krusty...

I dont live in the UK but haven't I seen somewhere that the South Coast is due a mother of a storm on Saturday? So add howling wind and rain to the mix and it should really make for an enthralling spectacle. I'll still be watching but I do not hold out any hope of anything other than a snore fest.

I did and his mistake was unacceptable. In fact, if he was in line for a start, that single moment of utter stupidity could have cost him a run in the side. That can easily be coached out though where as Forster is on a very fast and downwards spiral. I still can't believe we offered him a 5 year deal, maybe we thought Everton would come in. All the goalkeepers and coaches need to leave IMO.

Yes, IF we had a half-decent gk coach.

Yes, MLG I'm comfortable with my grasp of the English language. Thanks for clarifying though. Much appreciated.

Yes, MLG I'm comfortable with my grasp of the English language. Thanks for clarifying though. Much appreciated.
To be fair, it was a valid point though. You did misinterpret 'could' for 'would' which altered the intention of the post you criticised.

Anyway, all's fair in love and war. Anyone who'd think this soccer malarkey is serious business the way people bicker on here... ;)

So what was the point in signing McCarthy if you're not prepared to give him a chance to play when the first choice keeper is clearly out of form, lacking confidence and most importantly costing us points?

If we genuinely think we don't have another keeper that we trust playing in 1st team when Forster is out of form, it doesn't say much for our recruitment policy does it?

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Sadly, looking at the forecast, if the game goes ahead it looks like players will be struggling to stand up straight with winds forecast to exceed 50 mph around kick off time. Given dire warnings, which may improve, I fear we may have a "too dangerous to travel" postponement albeit live TV cameras will heap pressure on decision makers...

if it's the BBC weather app you're looking at, which forecasts 50, I think they give wind in KPH.

I bloomin' well hope so. Still windy enough to give Southern Railways reason to delay and a Pulis team to hit it high into the box to enable Forster to show off his command of the 6 yard area.

The Guardian write up:

"9) More goals from Gabbiadini? The battle between 10th-placed West Bromwich Albion and 11th-placed Southampton is almost certainly the one they’re all talking about."..

So what was the point in signing McCarthy if you're not prepared to give him a chance to play when the first choice keeper is clearly out of form, lacking confidence and most importantly costing us points?

If we genuinely think we don't have another keeper that we trust playing in 1st team when Forster is out of form, it doesn't say much for our recruitment policy does it?

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

And that is the problem we now face. McCarthy was signed as occasional use backup only needed if the dependable Forster was ever injured.

However, we now have an issue that needs or at least suggests to warrant, that Forster be rested, only to find the deputy isn't as capable as we expected him to be. So now its a conundrum between the out of sorts first choice or the deputy who looks to be inadequate.

Oh to have Boruc back.

The weather may be the winner tomorrow not only destructive winds are forecast but lots of rain as well. The BBC do love these dramas and one must take their worst predictions with a large pinch of salt but that's been their way since 1987. No way they'll risk being caught with their trousers down again. Having said that this one looks particularly nasty so if they do decide to abandon the match let's hope they have the guts to do it early enough to save many of us long journeys for nothing.

The weather may be the winner tomorrow not only destructive winds are forecast but lots of rain as well. The BBC do love these dramas and one must take their worst predictions with a large pinch of salt but that's been their way since 1987. No way they'll risk being caught with their trousers down again. Having said that this one looks particularly nasty so if they do decide to abandon the match let's hope they have the guts to do it early enough to save many of us long journeys for nothing.

You really understand how weather is forecast don’t you?

You should ask for some of your licence fee back

Second game this season I'm having to miss due to poxy weddings, the other being West Ham. So you can be sure we will win in an exciting game!

Cheer up! The wedding will be a darned sight more interesting than anything that takes place up at St Mary's tomorrow afternoon. Two teams with no ambition, two mangers with no vision... perfect recipe. See, you've cheered up a bit already and don't forget you'll get bugger all for free at SMS least of all a couple of stiff drinks. Always look on the bright side!

Second game this season I'm having to miss due to poxy weddings, the other being West Ham. So you can be sure we will win in an exciting game!

I'm missing tomorrow's game as well (Aussie Pink Floyd at BIC) and the only other game I've missed was West Ham so I echo your sentiments!

Updated weather forecast is horrendous as I warned a couple of days ago. Have a look at wind strength tomorrow afternoon! Last time I think we played in anything approaching this was the famous Begovic/Boruc goal at Dtoke, but tomorrow looks like being worse....