Saints u23 v Newcastle u23 - tonight

trousers

That quite a strong team. Interstiting that McQueen is being used as a forward again, when it's not so long ago we converted him to a full back.

and yes, let's hope Hesketh can get back to form now he's back, and press for first team consideration .

That quite a strong team. Interstiting that McQueen is being used as a forward again, when it's not so long ago we converted him to a full back.

and yes, let's hope Hesketh can get back to form now he's back, and press for first team consideration .

If Hesketh can recapture the form he was in a couple of years ago, whereby he warranted a call up to the first team, he could help plug the gap we have in the out-and-out attacking midfielder department (along with Josh Sims, who's due back in November/December IIRC)

Agreed, hope Hesketh comes through ok and really impresses. Has got a lot of ability that lad. McQueen further forward is interesting as last season he was turned into a left back but versatility is a good thing.

On a more serious note Hojberg looks fantastic in the AMF role so get him in on Saturday instead of relying on Davis again.

Hojbjerg is not playing in an attacking midfield role. He is alongside Ward-Prowse in a midfield pairing in the 4-2-3-1.

Jake Hesketh is playing as the central attacking midfield player of of the 3 in the 4-2-3-1.

I thought JWP and Hojberg have been a disgrace in the 2nd half particularly Hojberg - almost all of his passes have been backwards - most completely unnecessary when he had forward positive options - epitomises the cancer of negative play that is endemic in the club recently

I thought JWP and Hojberg have been a disgrace in the 2nd half particularly Hojberg - almost all of his passes have been backwards - most completely unnecessary when he had forward positive options - epitomises the cancer of negative play that is endemic in the club recently

Couldn’t agree more. Every opportunity a pass backwards...

:lol: saints have scored 6 tonight...

To be fair, we were understandably sitting on a 3-0 cushion at the time and no need to bust a gut for the sake of it

Har-de-****ing-har. “a disgrace”?? Do get a grip.

To be fair, we were understandably sitting on a 3-0 cushion at the time and no need to bust a gut for the sake of it

True but we went from being comfortably out of sight at 3nil in 1st half to 3:2 with 6 mins to go - when we started having a go again scored another 3 goals

True but we went from being comfortably out of sight at 3nil in 1st half to 3:2 with 6 mins to go - when we started having a go again scored another 3 goals
Yep, it would appear we were able to find another gear when we needed to. All good.

Cancer.

Wow.

Thoroughly enjoyed the match. I hope that they play more U-23 matches at St Mary's where it gives us the chance to see the youngsters coming through. I thought Hojberg was excellent as was Yan Valery at right full back. Nice to see Jake Hesketh back and I thought that Callum Slattery did very well in the second half. Good to see some pace and movement upfront.

I didn't watch the 2nd half so missed this. Anyone else rate him?

Slattery was stand out player at Cambridge in Checkatrade, seems to have bulked out a bit and grown a bit height wise too, looked very comfortable on the ball, was difficult to push off the ball and played soem grat through balls to the forwards

Very good attacking performance. The finishing was excellent. Sam McQueen could be just the goalscoring midfielder we need. Ward-Prowse always looks so much better when playing with his age group. There are however goalkeeping problems runnning right through the club, which reflects badly on either our recruitment or goalkeeper coaching.

Slattery was stand out player at Cambridge in Checkatrade, seems to have bulked out a bit and grown a bit height wise too, looked very comfortable on the ball, was difficult to push off the ball and played soem grat through balls to the forwards

TBF he came on against a tiring and broadly beaten team. Yes they'd pulled two goals back, but they'd been chasing shadows all night.

Hesketh caused them no end of problems, drawing fouls all over the place wih his touch - and his touch is much better than he showed last night.

Very good attacking performance. The finishing was excellent. Sam McQueen could be just the goalscoring midfielder we need. Ward-Prowse always looks so much better when playing with his age group. There are however goalkeeping problems runnning right through the club, which reflects badly on either our recruitment or goalkeeper coaching.
Ward Prowse is into his 6th PL season. He looks better because he is playing against worse, younger players with less experience.

He should be above playing in U23 games apart from when coming back from an injury. Hopefully having to do this will motivate him.

Ward Prowse is into his 6th PL season. He looks better because he is playing against worse, younger players with less experience.

He should be above playing in U23 games apart from when coming back from an injury. Hopefully having to do this will motivate him.

I came to that conclusion too. He still wasn't that good and to some extent I think that as Newcastle had opened up and expended a lot of their energy when they were chasing the game they made it a bit easier for us to get the last 3 goals.