Claude Puel

beavis17

I thought it was about good exciting football. The same was for the Spurs game at home,whilst we lost we batteredthem,but of course as was the case for most of the season we couldn't put the ball into the net and that cost us. Still good football though

I was probably bored to sleep after ten minutes.

He sucks the life out of clubs. When he's sacked by Leicester in a few weeks lots of people will say ''Oh, but he got them top 10, what more do they want?''. We limped to 8th last year, maybe not even limped..crawled. Somehow we got 8th.

With the players he has avaliable at Leicester he should be doing better. I feel sorry for their fans who have to put up with his non-chat and sleepy football.

The fact is that we made two horrific appointments in a row in Puel and MP. Neither had anything good about them, just killers of football.

He sucks the life out of clubs. When he's sacked by Leicester in a few weeks lots of people will say ''Oh, but he got them top 10, what more do they want?''. We limped to 8th last year, maybe not even limped..crawled. Somehow we got 8th.

With the players he has avaliable at Leicester he should be doing better. I feel sorry for their fans who have to put up with his non-chat and sleepy football.

The fact is that we made two horrific appointments in a row in Puel and MP. Neither had anything good about them, just killers of football.

Putting Puel in the same category as MP is ridiculous. We were never involved in any sort of relegation battle, although with the squad of players, it could’ve been a possibility, as we found out.

We overachieved with Puel, only a fool would say otherwise.

Putting Puel in the same category as MP is ridiculous. We were never involved in any sort of relegation battle, although with the squad of players, it could’ve been a possibility, as we found out.

We underachieved with Puel.

are you talking of Koeman or Puel? Yet again asper most of that season we missed gilt edged chances that would have made us coast into the knockout stage. I recall VVD's easy header chance and Jrod at Milan. We sold our goals and relied on Long an injured Austin and Jrod who was never the player he was before the injury. If you think you can run a PL and Europa Cup campaign with those resources good on you.

He played for a 0-0 at home to Hapoel Beer-Sheva.

Call me a fool.

We missed our chance in Europe which may not come around again, this was largely down to playing such negative football. We scraped to 8th in the league. We played some of the worst football I have seen from us in the second half of the season. We lost any identity to how we tried to play our football, particularly with his weird diamond experiment that didn't fit our players.

I'd say we were probably at about our level under Puel but we lost any of the optimism of genuine possibility that was present under Poch, Koeman and, to a lesser extent, Adkins. It was certainly not all his fault he certainly played a significant part in our current slide.

Call me a fool.

We missed our chance in Europe which may not come around again, this was largely down to playing such negative football. We scraped to 8th in the league. We played some of the worst football I have seen from us in the second half of the season. We lost any identity to how we tried to play our football, particularly with his weird diamond experiment that didn't fit our players.

I'd say we were probably at about our level under Puel but we lost any of the optimism of genuine possibility that was present under Poch, Koeman and, to a lesser extent, Adkins. It was certainly not all his fault he certainly played a significant part in our current slide.

Puel lost it when he played Redmond upfront and Austin Left Wing, and then went onto calling Redmond the English "henry". Utter Mess of a bloke.

Call me a fool.

We missed our chance in Europe which may not come around again, this was largely down to playing such negative football .

This is what really annoyed me about the Koeman and Puel era.

A club like Southampton has two realistic things to play for each season. 1 Stay in the Premier league 2. Get in the Europa League

Our hierarchy (e.g. Ralph) banged on about wanting to achieve European Football, yet on the occasions we managed it we did not capitalise and try and push for a decent campaign. Why bother to try for 7th if we aren't going to give it a good bash in the Europa League? That is the realistic pinnacle that this club can hope to achieve so it was criminal to throw away the rare chances we had to put together a decent Europa League campaign.

This is what really annoyed me about the Koeman and Puel era.

A club like Southampton has two realistic things to play for each season. 1 Stay in the Premier league 2. Get in the Europa League

Our hierarchy (e.g. Ralph) banged on about wanting to achieve European Football, yet on the occasions we managed it we did not capitalise and try and push for a decent campaign. Why bother to try for 7th if we aren't going to give it a good bash in the Europa League? That is the realistic pinnacle that this club can hope to achieve so it was criminal to throw away the rare chances we had to put together a decent Europa League campaign.

Agreed.

I respect he is an okay tactician, we had a good cup run and probably should have won. He's been successful in France.

No doubt he was the wrong man for us. We played our best football when we tried to impose ourselves on games tactically. Europe we allowed games to pass us by when really we could have achieved more.

When both Puel and MP joined us I read the newspaper articles that were posted on here that described their style of play, formations and what types of managers they were - and what a surprise they played exactly how they were reported - so although I hated their football they stuck to their philosophies so fair play to them and they both seemed like decent guys so I could never really hate them. What really p*sses me off is the club with all their resources and black boxes could nt see what anyone else could be reading one article. I can only assume it was pure arrogance from Reed who must of thought they could change how theyve spent their entire managerial careers managing. Reed and co need to seriously review how they interpret the data they have

Puel lost it when he played Redmond upfront and Austin Left Wing, and then went onto calling Redmond the English "henry". Utter Mess of a bloke.
Fr a Kenyan you certainly do have the grammar of a Glaswegian. Good to have fans from all over the world though

Fr a Kenyan you certainly do have the grammar of a Glaswegian. Good to have fans from all over the world though

The twitter account was started about the same time as the account was registered on here , twitter account's grammar is a bit less English !

https://www.foxestalk.co.uk/topic/115812-end-of-season-puel-poll/

More wanting him to stay another year than go atm. The difference between ending the season with a couple of good performances vs our players completely downing tools last season.

Right call for them to keep him as they were easily best-of-the-rest this season for attacking football.

Edited by Ultimatt

https://www.foxestalk.co.uk/topic/115812-end-of-season-puel-poll/

More wanting him to stay another year than go atm. The difference between ending the season with a couple of good performances vs our players completely downing tools last season.

Right call for them to keep him as they were easily best-of-the-rest this season for attacking football.

"Yes - otherwise people will start to say 'when I voted out I knew EXACTLY what I meant, and it meant EXACTLY the same as everyone else who voted out'."

:lol:

"Yes - otherwise people will start to say 'when I voted out I knew EXACTLY what I meant, and it meant EXACTLY the same as everyone else who voted out'."

:lol:

You mean they all want Puel out because he's an immigrant?

#bordercontrol

**** me, you’re a hard task master. 8th & Cup final, underachieving. We’ve had a lot of under achieving managers the past 40 years.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

He was given an entry into the Europa Cup and totally blew it.

Throwing the Home cup game against Arsenal was even worse and is as underachieving as you could possibly get.

He was given an entry into the Europa Cup and totally blew it.

Throwing the Home cup game against Arsenal was even worse and is as underachieving as you could possibly get.

Come off it. We had reached the final of a cup competition three days before! Sure it was a bit of an embarrassing scoreline, but in terms of the occasion (and I'm not generally one to be down on the FA Cup) it really didn't matter that we lost, certainly not worse than our inept Europa League performances in Prague and at home to Be'er Sheva.

Would anybody want him back here?

I'd love to see what he could achieve if the board actually backed him in the transfer window. It's a bit like Rafa achieving 10th with a poor Newcastle squad, Puel achieving 8th with a poor team whose true limitations were proven this season.

Come off it. We had reached the final of a cup competition three days before! Sure it was a bit of an embarrassing scoreline, but in terms of the occasion (and I'm not generally one to be down on the FA Cup) it really didn't matter that we lost, certainly not worse than our inept Europa League performances in Prague and at home to Be'er Sheva.

It was an awful, miserable evening. To see the looks afterwards on the little kiddies who were all dressed up in Saints gear and were wondering what all the fuss was about.

Nope, it was unforgiiveable and shameful. I would even call it despicable. They took our money under false pretences.

I'd love to see what he could achieve if the board actually backed him in the transfer window. It's a bit like Rafa achieving 10th with a poor Newcastle squad, Puel achieving 8th with a poor team whose true limitations were proven this season.

Give it a rest with all this '8th' nonsense. What was it, 46 points? Leicester ended up on 47 this year with a squad that had won the league very recently so he hasn't actually progressed very far on that basis.

It was an awful, miserable evening. To see the looks afterwards on the little kiddies who were all dressed up in Saints gear and were wondering what all the fuss was about.

Nope, it was unforgiiveable and shameful. I would even call it despicable. They took our money under false pretences.

Totally agree. The way he threw the young keeper Lewis under the bus in that game was also shameful.

I often wondered if that was the moment he lost a lot of the senior players tbh.

bloody hell talk about laying it on thick. How about when we were thumped by Liverpool in the cup at home the season before, who was manager that time? 6-1 or something. Total humiliation. Obviously the kids all dressed up, skipped home in enjoyment on that occasion. If kids are so brittle me and my brother who saw us humiliated at Everton 8-0 circa 1972 should have given up supporting us as we were 10 and 14.

Like your support of officials at all costs, your anti Puel feelings just become so set in stone you cant see any other point.

Give it a rest with all this '8th' nonsense. What was it, 46 points? Leicester ended up on 47 this year with a squad that had won the league very recently so he hasn't actually progressed very far on that basis.

Yep Leicester are bang on favourites to win the league every year. They were one place above the relegation position when Puel took them on and so he did an ok job.

bloody hell talk about laying it on thick. How about when we were thumped by Liverpool in the cup at home the season before, who was manager that time? 6-1 or something. Total humiliation. Obviously the kids all dressed up, skipped home in enjoyment on that occasion. If kids are so brittle me and my brother who saw us humiliated at Everton 8-0 circa 1972 should have given up supporting us as we were 10 and 14.

Like your support of officials at all costs, your anti Puel feelings just become so set in stone you cant see any other point.

It's not so much that I'm anti Puel it's just that it was an abject experience barring a couple of highlights.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/44103403

This is quite interesting, the record lowest points needed for tenth were last year and this...( didn't do 8th using 10th as a comparison).... I would agree with the articale that the decline in the league is obvious since Leicester won it...how long did Burnley go without winning a game yet still finished 7th?

He's on a hiding to nothing at Leicester, always changes half the team for midweek games and Leicester's greatest ever success came as a result of them picking as stable an eleven as they possibly could for the longest possible time.

He should just be glad he didn't come 7th and get into Europe or you'd see the helmets come out with their "pick the same team every three/four days for 4 solid months of the season" nonsense. :rolleyes:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/44103403

This is quite interesting, the record lowest points needed for tenth were last year and this...( didn't do 8th using 10th as a comparison).... I would agree with the articale that the decline in the league is obvious since Leicester won it...how long did Burnley go without winning a game yet still finished 7th?

Not sure how it's a "decline in the League" when what's happened is the top 6 have gone out of their way to ensure that's where they stay and the reason the remaining 14 are scoring lower points is because they're all beating each other and spreading the points around evenly. We in particular have contributed to a load of draws that reduce the number of points that can be won overall.

If we'd bothered attempting to attack/finish and won against Swansea, Huddersfield (A), Stoke (A) and Newcastle in the first 8 games of last season we'd have 9 more points and probably finished 10th (and be moaning about it compared to 8th the previous season). 15 draws from 38 games suggests we were a good illustration of how equal the bottom 14 are. Only three of the bottom 14 drew fewer than 10 games, only one of the top 6 drew more than 7 games.

Not sure how it's a "decline in the League" when what's happened is the top 6 have gone out of their way to ensure that's where they stay and the reason the remaining 14 are scoring lower points is because they're all beating each other and spreading the points around evenly. We in particular have contributed to a load of draws that reduce the number of points that can be won overall.

If we'd bothered attempting to attack/finish and won against Swansea, Huddersfield (A), Stoke (A) and Newcastle in the first 8 games of last season we'd have 9 more points and probably finished 10th (and be moaning about it compared to 8th the previous season). 15 draws from 38 games suggests we were a good illustration of how equal the bottom 14 are. Only three of the bottom 14 drew fewer than 10 games, only one of the top 6 drew more than 7 games.

Dress it up how you like...if the top 6 are winning more games then it's likely the rest of the league have declined and are less competitive. It's not like the top 6 have won everything in Europe is it?

Whereas the league used to be top 6, a middle league and the bottom league, now it's the top 6 and the rest are at risk of relegation.

The teams coming up managed to stay up, do you really think that is because the league is more competitive and because teams are takin points off each other? Alternatively is it the "rest" have decline to such an extent teams with small budgets and championship teams can finish safely in mid table?

Dress it up how you like...if the top 6 are winning more games then it's likely the rest of the league have declined and are less competitive. It's not like the top 6 have won everything in Europe is it?

Whereas the league used to be top 6, a middle league and the bottom league, now it's the top 6 and the rest are at risk of relegation.

The teams coming up managed to stay up, do you really think that is because the league is more competitive and because teams are takin points off each other? Alternatively is it the "rest" have decline to such an extent teams with small budgets and championship teams can finish safely in mid table?

Fans of 14 clubs complain about turgid football. I'd put it down to the weakest teams being stronger and the mid-table sides not having any good attackers.

The increase in TV money has meant that all sides, even those newly promoted, can strengthen weak areas, so there's no more easy beats. IMO there's a conscious choice by too many managers to sit back and make sure they don't lose, rather than go for the win. With 14 teams being relegation candidates you have a whole lot more "6-pointers" where teams are scared to go for it and settle for the draw.

The big 6 also have all the best attackers. Vardy's probably the only one that has a chance to regularly start in those teams. 6th placed Arsenal have a front 3 of Aubameyang-Lacazette-Mkhitaryan. Quality. Without top attackers it doesn't matter how much you dominate over 80% of the pitch. It's all for nought if you don't score. We've had a bunch of games over the past 2 seasons where we were clearly the better team and on the front foot and couldn't score. This season the bottom 14 teams averaged only 1.03 goals/game. That's the lowest it's been in at least a decade.