Claude Puel

beavis17

Here's further proof that Puel was a shocking appointment: https://www.theguardian.com/football/2018/apr/08/leicester-claude-puel-squad-unrest

Happy to see Nick, Forester and others admit they were wrong to blame the fans.

Are you having a laugh? A few facts which I would be delighted for you it tackle head on. I will make it easy and turn it into yes or no. Here goes:

- when Puel got the Leicester job, were they below Saints? And are they now comfortably safe in mid table?

- did Puel manage us in a 50 match season, and did Saints have a never to be repeated three home game spell in the month of May at the fag end of this same season?

- did we concede a single goal en route to Wembley final? And did we play anyone outside of the Premier League to get there?

- Did we concede a single goal in 4 games against Liverpool last season? Have we shipped a few more this year?

- Did Puel get the chance to work with any of the following: Pelle, Mane and Wanyama? Were you chuffed with the replacement he was given?

- did yiu enjoy, as I did, away trips seeing us score 4 at Sunderland, 4 at Watford, 3 at Wet Spam, wins at Boro, West Brom. How has it gone on the road this season? Things looking up?

- did VVD and Austin each miss half or more of the season?

- despite all of the above, did we still finish 8th? Have things got better?

- have those “unhappy dressing room” occupants responded with delight by raising their game?

Now Puel may not be the world’s best manager, and I have never claimed he was a genius. But staring at the above tells you he isn no one’s fool. Usually what happens is someone will come and reply to this without actually addressing the points above. Let’s see if you Saint1977 can buck the trend.

Are you having a laugh? A few facts which I would be delighted for you it tackle head on. I will make it easy and turn it into yes or no. Here goes:

- when Puel got the Leicester job, were they below Saints? And are they now comfortably safe in mid table?

- did Puel manage us in a 50 match season, and did Saints have a never to be repeated three home game spell in the month of May at the fag end of this same season?

- did we concede a single goal en route to Wembley final? And did we play anyone outside of the Premier League to get there?

- Did we concede a single goal in 4 games against Liverpool last season? Have we shipped a few more this year?

- Did Puel get the chance to work with any of the following: Pelle, Mane and Wanyama? Were you chuffed with the replacement he was given?

- did yiu enjoy, as I did, away trips seeing us score 4 at Sunderland, 4 at Watford, 3 at Wet Spam, wins at Boro, West Brom. How has it gone on the road this season? Things looking up?

- have those “unhappy dressing room” occupants responded with delight by raising their game?

Now Puel may not be the world’s best manager, and I have never claimed he was a genius. But staring at the above tells you he isn no one’s fool. Usually what happens is someone will come and reply to this without actually addressing the points above. Let’s see if you Saint1977 can buck the trend.

I agree with your post, but VVD and Austin have both missed half or more of the season this season too.

The debate is getting old.

Puel is a good manager, not world class but still a good one. I was very surprised when we got rid at the end of last season when we had got to a cup final and finished 8th, yes with a lower number of points but still the 8th best team in england whatever way you look at it.

All this done without a reliable goalscorer during the season and a world class cb for half a season whilst giving lots of opportunities to the youngsters.

Yes the brand of football wasn t the most enternaining but it was hardly boring.

All this above was not really a sackable performance so was surprised he wasn t given a second season to build his own team.

My brother is a Leicester ST holder and reckons that the natives have turned against Claude mainly because of his brand of 'sterile' football !

The sideways and backwards, possession game is not what they are used to up there and it does not seem to fit with the likes of Mahrez and Vardy !

Apparently at their last home game (1-2 loss to newcastle) there were calls for his head and boos at the end !

Sound familiar ???

I will enjoy Championship football I may just see us win a few home games something I havent for 2 years!
So will I Ron. Unless you a top4-6 side I don't think there is much fun in the PL A lot is vanity. There again it is no fun being in the bottom6 of the Championship, imagine being Ipswich, Leeds etc where you are in the 2nd tier for years, and the frustrations that will bring

My brother is a Leicester ST holder and reckons that the natives have turned against Claude mainly because of his brand of 'sterile' football !

The sideways and backwards, possession game is not what they are used to up there and it does not seem to fit with the likes of Mahrez and Vardy !

Apparently at their last home game (1-2 loss to newcastle) there were calls for his head and boos at the end !

Sound familiar ???

A view that is endorsed by a brief glimpse of the Foxes forum. Threads on there could have been lifted from last season on here. A familiar pattern is emerging that the more time Claude gets to work with the team the more the results and performances deteriorate. Certainly in the eyes of the supporters.

- Yes, but with some vastly superior players. Have SFC got anyone of the quality of Vardy, Mahrez, Maguire, Adrien Silva (after Jan) and Kasper in goal?

- He did, but Koeman had plenty of games as well and bar that winter stretch we were a million times better to watch. No point having 3 home games in a row and not playing well in any of them. Man U had played a final about 2 days before or after one of them as well, which to fail to mention, and SFC were still dismal.

- We have shipped more goals this year but Puel had a fit and interested VVD until Jan 17. And Fonte. Where I will give Puel credit is that he got the best of Romeu, Pellegrino has ruined him this season.

- No, but he did have half a season of an interested VVD. Besides, there's a common factor behind the last 2 poor seasons, Les Reed. Mane - Redmond sums it up. So no, I wasn't chuffed but then then I didn't make a stupid quote about Redmond being a striker, which was clearly not the case and we all - well most of us - saw straight through it. What he should have done is insisted publicly that he was given another striker given the workload of games and Charlie's injury record. But he didn't.

- I did enjoy those away games, and you forget to mention Spurs away where we lost but were very unlucky and played great stuff. However, the impression a lot of us had at the time was that the players were getting back to a formation and style of play they were comfortable with, when before and after the slower, possession-based football was dull, although an improvement on Pellegrino. Mind you, that's like comparing a Reliant Robin with a Trabant.

- They did, but they did this year too. Not sure what point you are making, other than Puel was far too easy on Les Reed in summer of 2017.

- 8th with 46 points. Look up how many we got with 8th under Poch or previous seasons. 8th but nearer to 17th than the top 6. What was it Cartman posted, 22 points from Puel's last 21 games? That's relegation form. So since Reed decided to go leftfield after Ronald left, no things haven't gone well from 6th and an exciting side.

- No, but I have no love for them and the style of play and points totals have carried on from Puel's second half (after we'd been kicked out of the Europa after that pathetically negative HBS draw). If Reed had given a toss, he'd have replaced Puel with someone who 'plays attacking, pressing football'. Which would have meant kicking a lot of the slow, poor attitude rubbish out of the club last summer. Instead, Kreuger blamed it all on VVD (can't stand him, but that cannot be true).

Saint 1977 verdict: Puel OK but not really suited to the English leagues and tempo, Pellegrino just not suited to anywhere. Should have done miles better with both appointments, which were very unambitious, sack Les Reed.

Sound familiar ???

I know two Leicester STHs and was told the same, and has been for a while, not just the Newcastle game.

- Yes, but with some vastly superior players. Have SFC got anyone of the quality of Vardy, Mahrez, Maguire, Adrien Silva (after Jan) and Kasper in goal?

- He did, but Koeman had plenty of games as well and bar that winter stretch we were a million times better to watch. No point having 3 home games in a row and not playing well in any of them. Man U had played a final about 2 days before or after one of them as well, which to fail to mention, and SFC were still dismal.

- We have shipped more goals this year but Puel had a fit and interested VVD until Jan 17. And Fonte. Where I will give Puel credit is that he got the best of Romeu, Pellegrino has ruined him this season.

- No, but he did have half a season of an interested VVD. Besides, there's a common factor behind the last 2 poor seasons, Les Reed. Mane - Redmond sums it up. So no, I wasn't chuffed but then then I didn't make a stupid quote about Redmond being a striker, which was clearly not the case and we all - well most of us - saw straight through it. What he should have done is insisted publicly that he was given another striker given the workload of games and Charlie's injury record. But he didn't.

- I did enjoy those away games, and you forget to mention Spurs away where we lost but were very unlucky and played great stuff. However, the impression a lot of us had at the time was that the players were getting back to a formation and style of play they were comfortable with, when before and after the slower, possession-based football was dull, although an improvement on Pellegrino. Mind you, that's like comparing a Reliant Robin with a Trabant.

- They did, but they did this year too. Not sure what point you are making, other than Puel was far too easy on Les Reed in summer of 2017.

- 8th with 46 points. Look up how many we got with 8th under Poch or previous seasons. 8th but nearer to 17th than the top 6. What was it Cartman posted, 22 points from Puel's last 21 games? That's relegation form. So since Reed decided to go leftfield after Ronald left, no things haven't gone well from 6th and an exciting side.

- No, but I have no love for them and the style of play and points totals have carried on from Puel's second half (after we'd been kicked out of the Europa after that pathetically negative HBS draw). If Reed had given a toss, he'd have replaced Puel with someone who 'plays attacking, pressing football'. Which would have meant kicking a lot of the slow, poor attitude rubbish out of the club last summer. Instead, Kreuger blamed it all on VVD (can't stand him, but that cannot be true).

Saint 1977 verdict: Puel OK but not really suited to the English leagues and tempo, Pellegrino just not suited to anywhere. Should have done miles better with both appointments, which were very unambitious, sack Les Reed.

:toppa::toppa: Puel shouldn't have been given the job in the first place - remember we only want to employ someone with knowledge of teams across Europe....so just France then. We turned down Pellegrini FFS.

Away from home Puel did ok but Europa jeesh and after the final....and the poor love had to contend with 50 games...well what about the FA cup then that went well...what are we going to do next season with 46 games as just league?

The recruitment for both the last 2 managers has been appalling neglecting key areas and heads should roll for that.

Edited by Give it to Ron

Reading between the lines we were chasing Rudi Garcia who had been sacked by Roma - and were in talks - but then Marseille and their new American owners stepped in with the second biggest club in France and lots of money. He fitted the profile the spoke about - played 4-3-3 and managed in two countries - France and Italy with Roma, and been successful with a smaller club in France winning things, and managed in the European competition.

But when Marseille popped up with their new money we panicked and went for Puel - when we should have gone for Silva

And then last summer I have a feeling we were aiming for Tuchel or Schmitt - having dawdled over sacking Puel - and then panicked when Tuchel said no and Schmitt followed the money to China, and we'd missed out on Silva as he had joined Watford - and then went for Maruicio Pelligrino coz he sounded like a cross between Mauricio Pochettino and Pelligrini

still it would't have made that much difference as we wouldn't have given the managers the players they needed anyway

That's what happens when you sell Pelle and Mane and then hope Charlie Austin will stay fit and Redmond will become a world beater....

I've said it before and I'll say it again. There is far more potential in Tadic, Redmond, Jay Rod, Gabbi and Sims than either Puel or MoPe have managed to extract. Even Long is capable of 7/8 goals a season instead of just 2.

I've said it before and I'll say it again. There is far more potential in Tadic, Redmond, Jay Rod, Gabbi and Sims than either Puel or MoPe have managed to extract. Even Long is capable of 7/8 goals a season instead of just 2.

I don't think so (Sims apart). Long is just a **** poor player plenty of effort just not very good.

Nothing to do with PSG then?

League winners......

2001-02 Lyon

2002–03 Lyon

2003–04 Lyon

2004–05 Lyon

2005–06 Lyon

2006–07 Lyon

2007–08 Lyon

Puel appointed Lyon boss

2008–09 Bordeaux

2009–10 Marseille

2010–11 Lille

2011–12 Montpellier

Reading between the lines we were chasing Rudi Garcia who had been sacked by Roma - and were in talks - but then Marseille and their new American owners stepped in with the second biggest club in France and lots of money. He fitted the profile the spoke about - played 4-3-3 and managed in two countries - France and Italy with Roma, and been successful with a smaller club in France winning things, and managed in the European competition.

But when Marseille popped up with their new money we panicked and went for Puel - when we should have gone for Silva

And then last summer I have a feeling we were aiming for Tuchel or Schmitt - having dawdled over sacking Puel - and then panicked when Tuchel said no and Schmitt followed the money to China, and we'd missed out on Silva as he had joined Watford - and then went for Maruicio Pelligrino coz he sounded like a cross between Mauricio Pochettino and Pelligrini

still it would't have made that much difference as we wouldn't have given the managers the players they needed anyway

Sounds plausible, although I think Pelligrini featured in the talks somewhere along the line.. and also turned us down/not proceeded with.

Certainly seems Les has lost his magnetism, or ability to conclude a deal.

League winners......

2001-02 Lyon

2002–03 Lyon

2003–04 Lyon

2004–05 Lyon

2005–06 Lyon

2006–07 Lyon

2007–08 Lyon

Puel appointed Lyon boss

2008–09 Bordeaux

2009–10 Marseille

2010–11 Lille

2011–12 Montpellier

Lyon haven't reached the Champions League semi-final since Puel left either. ;) ;)

See, I can spin things too.

Lyon haven't reached the Champions League semi-final since Puel left either. ;) ;)

See, I can spin things too.

Leicester haven't won the league or reached the champions league quarter finalists since Puel arrived.

See, I can post pointless things too.

We should beg to disagree, but fair play to you for taking the time to respond! Cheers

We should beg to disagree, but fair play to you for taking the time to respond! Cheers

No worries, it's always nice to have an exchange of views without it getting daft like it so often does on here. The world would be boring if we all thought the same way.

“Southampton were mad to sack you”... a conversation between Glenn Hoddle and Claude Puel...

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-5616415/Southampton-mad-sack-Glenn-Hoddle-meets-old-Monaco-pal-Claude-Puel.html

Thanks Glenda for rubbing it in. You're right though, and I'm sure Claude is already licking his lips at hammering another nail in our coffin on Thursday.

With Leicester currently 8th in the league. Oh the irony!
We've handed the story to the Talksport/Sky/Tabloid pundit army on a plate (....what did Southampton expect if 8th isnt good enough, bet they regret that now etc etc etc). Urgh.

I find it amusing some fans so in denial, that they say they wouldn't change wanting Puel out. They were foolish and just couldn't see we were building. Nobody can convince me that we would be in this position now if we had stayed brave and kept him. The joke is that the club stayed loya against the fans wishes for so long this season where it was obvious that he was not the man

I don't think we would have been in the same position....

I think we'd be below WBA! The decline under Puel was heavy. Players hated him

The mistake wasn't sacking Puel it was hiring Pellegrino

your one of the mugs who are to blame. We only needed somebody who put the ball in the net and we would have sailed on from there. Go back and look at the match reports and see how many sitters we missed. Put one or 2 of those in and things would always look different. We weren't letting 3 goals in a game either.

Anyway you got your way, that affected my life and enjoyment, we all have to live with your and others pathetic attitude.

By the way before you say the fans didn't affect the clubs decision, managers don't get sacked if the fans are happy

If the players hated him they didn't improve after he left

yep your mate down the pub told you. Well the dressing room is f'ing useless as it didn't improve in fact it got worse

Puel set us nicely on the road to decline. Pellegrino just continued the same path on the same trajectory.

The mistake wasn't sacking Puel. It was hiring Pellegrino HTH

Puel set us nicely on the road to decline. Pellegrino just continued the same path on the same trajectory.

The mistake wasn't sacking Puel. It was hiring Pellegrino HTH

youre just in denial. You have a made a terrible mistake in judgement, and will hide behind anything to avoid owning up to your mistake

youre just in denial. You have a made a terrible mistake in judgement, and will hide behind anything to avoid owning up to your mistake

There was nothing good about Puel, like there was nothing good about Pellegrino.

Two shocking appointments back to back, which goes hand in hand with our shocking transfer windows. I know the media will love the Puel line on Thursday, but he'd lost the fan base, he'd lost a segment of the first team - and for what it's worth, he's doing exactly the same at Leicester right now.

The blame for me lies with the people making the calls at the club. Whoever thought Puel and then Pellegrino were the right people to take us forward after Koeman and Poch needs their head examined.

I find it amusing some fans so in denial, that they say they wouldn't change wanting Puel out. They were foolish and just couldn't see we were building. Nobody can convince me that we would be in this position now if we had stayed brave and kept him. The joke is that the club stayed loya against the fans wishes for so long this season where it was obvious that he was not the man

The football under Puel was stagnant, boring and ultimately didn't produce results. Our football at St Mary's was particularly poor. We put 3 crap teams to the sword but in the other 16 games we failed to score more than one goal and scored a grand total of 3 goals from open play.

3 goals from open play in 16 home games. That's how slow, ponderous, turgid and lacking in intensity we were under Puel.

The football under Puel was stagnant, boring and ultimately didn't produce results. Our football at St Mary's was particularly poor. We put 3 crap teams to the sword but in the other 16 games we failed to score more than one goal and scored a grand total of 3 goals from open play.

3 goals from open play in 16 home games. That's how slow, ponderous, turgid and lacking in intensity we were under Puel.

Go back and watch how teams set up against us at home. Basically everyone outside the top 6 parked the bus against us knowing full well that we didn't have the players to break them down. Teams came to St Mary's looking for a point and our strikers missed a ton of chances. That's the biggest reason games were boring. Whereas in away games we were allowed to play and did. Football is a 2 team game. If one team is playing turgid disruptive football then it's hard for the other to shine.

On 46 points with a goal difference of -7

The team in 13th position had 44 points. I don’t call that a good season.

Finishing 6th the season was a great season.

Finishing 8th with 48 pts made it an Ok season. Reaching the league cup final made it a good season.

Puel was not sacked because of his results.

On top of that supporters who thought the football was boring. It was possession based football had we had the players capable of delivering the killer balls and finishing it we would have all be singing his praises.

It is european style football but fans at this football club were too short sighted to appreciate what he was trying to do, me the first.

But to continue belting along that Puel was useless and is responsible for our demise, that is just thick and you need to get a new brain.

I’m amazed anyone on here think the fans can sway Les - if that was the case how can you explain MoPe ?. If the fans were right or wrong that is irrelevant - our board are paid to make the right decision for their owners not the fans. The decision to fire him and replace him with MoPe was a bad one, but to be clear the fans had zero input to it so bickering on here on who was right or wrong seems a bit pointiessc(but would delight les and the board no doubt)

Yeah, but look on the bright side, we bought in a manager who was well liked by all of the players.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

It's all been explained 100 times already. Two word summary: Mane and Pelle.