Claude Puel

beavis17

I can't see CP's slow tempo possession football working particularly well with that Leicester squad

Was it Puels slow possession based football or was it Les Reeds, we will soon see if cp takes reins at Leicester, hope he does well and shows that it was Les meddling whilst he was here, similar to what's happening now

I wonder if he will come in for Redders to be his main striker.

If only.

Redmond wouldn't get near the Leicester starting lineup. They look so much stronger in attack than us. Vardy/Iheanacho/Mahrez/Slimani with Okazaki/Ulloa/Musa/Gray on the bench.

Was it Puels slow possession based football or was it Les Reeds, we will soon see if cp takes reins at Leicester, hope he does well and shows that it was Les meddling whilst he was here, similar to what's happening now

not going to snark you for it as is the custom on here and i worry that this may be true, but i'd prefer that the problem wasn't deeply entrenched at the club.

If he goes there, they are getting a better manager than we have currently. Disgracefully treated by the fans and club and, as this season is showing, it wasn't necessarily his tactics that were wrong it was the billy big ****** players that were the problem.

I'm sure Leicester would start seeing some younger players being given opportunities and improving under his tutelage - something we are sadly unlikely to see under MP.

I can't see CP's slow tempo possession football working particularly well with that Leicester squad

What defend deep and try and play on the counter? If he can get Leicester to replicate the performances we put in against Liverpool in the cup last season but with Vardy and Marhez on the counter (instead of Redmond and Long) he might do quite well.

What defend deep and try and play on the counter? If he can get Leicester to replicate the performances we put in against Liverpool in the cup last season but with Vardy and Marhez on the counter (instead of Redmond and Long) he might do quite well.

That's how Leicester won the league.

I think so too. He will have way better forward options than he had here.

If you spent all of last season watching us and thinking that that was the style of play he was trying to implement then you were watching a very different team to me.

Maybe he will play to Leicester's strengths in which case questions will need to be asked of Les Reed and the "Southampton way"

Perhaps he didn't have any choice but to play "slow tempo" football with a squad full of one-paced sideways passers.

It's not as though we've been rattling around at breakneck speed since Puel left - it's been more of the same: slow, ponderous, unimaginative.

Good luck to him if he goes to Leicester.

Sent from my F3311 using Tapatalk

So how do you account for the fact that LR gave Puel the opportunity to stay if he played a more attacking style of football? If LR was issuing instructions to Puel evidently he wasn't following them. No, I think the style was down to Puel's caution and lack of pace in the team. Different players, different style at Leicester. But their style is cautious too and he won't change it.

I wonder if he will come in for Redders to be his main striker.

Tbf to the guy Redmond came to our club before Puel was appointed.

I still solely believe that Les Reed is the cause of Redmond playing so much- think about it- if Redmond can score like 10-15 goals his price will rocket given that he is English.

In advanced negotiations now. Surprising choice but I'll be interested to see how he gets on and how many from Vardy, Slimani, Okazaki and Iheanacho he plays at any one time.

No doubt when he does well we will re-write history on here

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

In advanced negotiations now. Surprising choice but I'll be interested to see how he gets on and how many from Vardy, Slimani, Okazaki and Iheanacho he plays at any one time.

For Glasgow, it’ll be heads he wins, tails you lose.

If Puel fails, it’ll vindicate his original assessment of Puel. If Puel succeeds, he can blame Uncle Les for meddling and not supporting Puel in the transfer market.

If he goes there, they are getting a better manager than we have currently. Disgracefully treated by the fans and club and, as this season is showing, it wasn't necessarily his tactics that were wrong it was the billy big ****** players that were the problem.

I'm sure Leicester would start seeing some younger players being given opportunities and improving under his tutelage - something we are sadly unlikely to see under MP.

He will have much better strikers at Leicester. If they put half the chances we created away he'll be a hit.

Agree with both of these. Never been more ashamed to be a Saints fan than when the Northam booed Puel on lap of appreciation last season.

its not rewriting history, it is down to the fact that many have skulls of bone and didn't see the whole picture.

Puel was disliked from the start by many, as he didn't speak good English and his post match interviews were not made up of quips.This made it difficult for the fans to warm to him.

He was also not backed by Reed and co by getting a goalscorer in. I and many others banged on about losing 30 odd goals and not replacing them. Many fell for the 'we bought the goalscorer 4 or 5 months previous. A player who sadly was never likely to be fit enough to play the games, and also not mobile enough to suit our style.

Sadly he was not given a summer transfer window to bring in his squad.

We heard that players were not happy (how much truth in that we do not know) but is that not with any squad if they are not playing?

The highs we had last season may be lost to us for many seasons, due to the knee jerk reaction our club made in sacking him. The cup run and finish in the league will be something we may not enjoy again for a long time,as our team has crumbled from being a structured team that linked well and created chances.

Yes we went on a run of home games without scoring, but like Saturday nights game, the mediocre football is forgotten once a goal went in, those 0-0 draws would have been forgotten had we scored and won 1-0.

I wish Puel luck and hope he does well at Leicester because I feel he was treated disgracefully by the club and a large percentage of fans

Agree with both of these. Never been more ashamed to be a Saints fan than when the Northam booed Puel on lap of appreciation last season.

I left before the lap of appreciation, and that was my final game as a season ticket holder.

I don't boo our own, nor do I think Puel deserved that. But the football under him was completley dire and its not surprising he wasn't popular with Northam.

Why were you ashamed of the moronic actions of people you aren't responsible for? They just happen to have chosen the same sports team to support... they don't represent you, so you have no need to be "ashamed".

I left before the lap of appreciation, and that was my final game as a season ticket holder.

I don't boo our own, nor do I think Puel deserved that. But the football under him was completley dire and its not surprising he wasn't popular with Northam.

The last few games of the season were awful which distorted people's views of the season overall but I agree the spoilt brat fans who stayed and booed were pathetic, if you didn't enjoy it just leave like thousands of others did. It was a lap to finish the season, one that had seen us win at home to Inter Milan, a cup run winning at the Emirates and Anfield, a cup final we played really well in plus bad injuries to some key players, I think given all that Puel did a decent job. He wasn't perfect but I don't think Pellegrino is any better.

Tbf to the guy Redmond came to our club before Puel was appointed.

I still solely believe that Les Reed is the cause of Redmond playing so much- think about it- if Redmond can score like 10-15 goals his price will rocket given that he is English.

you honestly belive Redmond is capable of scoring that many?..............yeah right maybe in 3-4 seasons combined,what are you smoking....?

its not rewriting history, it is down to the fact that many have skulls of bone and didn't see the whole picture.

Puel was disliked from the start by many, as he didn't speak good English and his post match interviews were not made up of quips.This made it difficult for the fans to warm to him.

He was also not backed by Reed and co by getting a goalscorer in. I and many others banged on about losing 30 odd goals and not replacing them. Many fell for the 'we bought the goalscorer 4 or 5 months previous. A player who sadly was never likely to be fit enough to play the games, and also not mobile enough to suit our style.

Sadly he was not given a summer transfer window to bring in his squad.

We heard that players were not happy (how much truth in that we do not know) but is that not with any squad if they are not playing?

The highs we had last season may be lost to us for many seasons, due to the knee jerk reaction our club made in sacking him. The cup run and finish in the league will be something we may not enjoy again for a long time,as our team has crumbled from being a structured team that linked well and created chances.

Yes we went on a run of home games without scoring, but like Saturday nights game, the mediocre football is forgotten once a goal went in, those 0-0 draws would have been forgotten had we scored and won 1-0.

I wish Puel luck and hope he does well at Leicester because I feel he was treated disgracefully by the club and a large percentage of fans

I agree with some of that and not other sections. I do wish him luck at Leicester and he seemed like a decent chap who had done well in France on the whole. I had reservations at the beginning about his reputation for negative football and was vindicated. Leicester's owners back their managers better in the market so he might acquire that Ben Afra type player (on Ben Arfa himself) that makes his team more exciting. I do agree that Les did him over royally in both transfer windows but Claude didn't help himself, as MP isn't, by not using the media to get key purchases or loans in positions he needed them. I didn't see a gun to his head when he made the crazy 'Redmond/Henry' comments which along with Reed's comments on our midfield options are amongst the most deluded I've heard.

Style of play will be interesting, although I agree Boufal probably saved MP's neck on Sat teatime and he has not been an improvement. What I never understood is we started dull and then either side of the Cup Final played the best stuff since MoPo, which meant he was being forgiven for the tactical debacle v HBS. If we'd stayed in that style, Puel would probably still be here. Only he will know why we reverted back to stinking St Mary's out. Maybe he's evolved and realises what's needed in the EPL is a higher tempo? Conversation with Reed in the summer suggested not but did Claude ask for better, faster midfield and forward options and Les refused? We'll never know.

The difference Puel will have at Leicester is a decent coach well of Black’s influence... He might do well which would reflect very poorly on Black who I am convinced brings nothing to our party....

I hope he relegates them. Since winning the league they've become a more deluded club than the scousers

Not seen that myself and still have a soft spot for the club. What they did was remarkable and rather than looking on with jealousy we should use them as an example and raise our own glass ceiling.

Puel is a lucky boy getting another shot at the prem - for me he blew his chance and all roads led back to a middling club in France or retirement.

Forget his time at SFC for one minute - before that he went 16 years without winning a single trophy. That was despite managing some of the bigger French clubs.

For example - Puel took over Lyon after they had just won SEVEN consecutive league titles. He then wins nothing! Clubs typically improve AFTER Puel has left - coincidence or bad luck?

Not seen that myself and still have a soft spot for the club. What they did was remarkable and rather than looking on with jealousy we should use them as an example and raise our own glass ceiling.

Puel is a lucky boy getting another shot at the prem - for me he blew his chance and all roads led back to a middling club in France or retirement.

Forget his time at SFC for one minute - before that he went 16 years without winning a single trophy. That was despite managing some of the bigger French clubs.

For example - Puel took over Lyon after they had just won SEVEN consecutive league titles. He then wins nothing! Clubs typically improve AFTER Puel has left - coincidence or bad luck?

Won the league with Monaco, took Nice to their highest placed finish for ages...

Would you say we have improved since Puel left? I'm not sure we have.

But according to you on countless other threads it is Les Reed who is the reason for our progress stalling.

Did Puel blow his chance? Or did Les not strengthen the squad sufficiently to actually give him a chance?

Can't see how it's both

But according to you on countless other threads it is Les Reed who is the reason for our progress stalling.

Did Puel blow his chance? Or did Les not strengthen the squad sufficiently to actually give him a chance?

Can't see how it's both

Dissagree, I actually think it was both.

Was our squad strengthen sufficiently when koeman left, I think you would probably have to say no.

Could Puel have done more to keep players on side (to this I guess we won’t know) and played a more expensive style of play? I think you would have to probably say yes.

Was our squad strengthen sufficiently when koeman left, I think you would probably have to say no.
- Agreed

Could Puel have done more to keep players on side (to this I guess we won’t know) and played a more expensive style of play? I think you would have to probably say yes.
- No. As Ultimatt posted elsewhere - Puel's tenure yielded the most shots since we were promoted. Suggesting that it is the quality of player, not the tactics that were the problem.

Shots:

2016/17: 550

2015/16: 519

2014/15: 509

2013/14: 534

2012/13: 516

https://www.premierleague.com/clubs/20/Southampton/stats?se=54

Puel's team had the most shots since promotion. Equal most shots on target with our 2013/14 season. The difference was the rubbish transfer window where we sold Mane/Pelle/Wanyama and replaced them Boufal/Redmond/Hojbjerg. No goals because of bang-average attackers gave the illusion of more boring football than what was actually the case.

Can't see how it's both

Reed didn't give Puel enough to win the league or finish top 4 or even 6, but he had enough to play more attractive football, get more points, score more and do better than he did in Europe.

I also think that while reaching the EFL final was great - he had 15 days to prepare (vs Man U 3 days) and still failed.

Puel wasn't a complete failure - there was just more bad than good IMHO

+ Cup Final*

+ 8th Place finish

+ Youth players used

- Points total

- Europe

- Style of play

- Relationship with players and fans

- Goals scored

- Home form

- Results against the top 6

* Had 15 days to prepare - still lost

- Agreed

- No. As Ultimatt posted elsewhere - Puel's tenure yielded the most shots since we were promoted. Suggesting that it is the quality of player, not the tactics that were the problem.

How many of those shots where from 30 yards with no hope of beating the keeper? What was the average position of those shots? If you look, our shooting accuracy last year (33%) was actually marginally better than the 15/16 season (32%).... Lack of quality, or lack of quality chances?

Of those shots, the top 3 to have a shot were Redmond (83) Tadic (63) and JWP :scared: (42). All midfielders, to me, that would suggest we didn't have enough shots from inside the box, which is where you are most likely to score....

Stats can be useful, but they can also be misguiding without any real substance behind them.

If you compare those shots to 'big chances created' (although it has to be said I do not know what constitutes a 'big chance') it paints a damning tail...

12/13 - 45

13/14 - 53

14/15 - 50

15/16 - 61

16/17 - 35!!!

West Brom, as a comparison, managed 36

Edited by SKD

Reed didn't give Puel enough to win the league or finish top 4 or even 6, but he had enough to play more attractive football, get more points, score more and do better than he did in Europe.

I also think that while reaching the EFL final was great - he had 15 days to prepare (vs Man U 3 days) and still failed.

Puel wasn't a complete failure - there was just more bad than good IMHO

+ Cup Final*

+ 8th Place finish

+ Youth players used

- Points total

- Europe

- Style of play

- Relationship with players and fans

- Goals scored

- Home form

- Results against the top 6

* Had 15 days to prepare - still lost

*VVD was injured. Arguably two of United’s goals don’t happen if he’s playing.

*United comfortably won the first leg of their EUROPA tie, so were able to rest players for the second leg before the final.

*Poor officiating cost us a goal.

Of those shots, the top 3 to have a shot were Redmond (83) Tadic (63) and JWP :scared: (42). All midfielders, to me, that would suggest we didn't have enough shots from inside the box, which is where you are most likely to score....

Tactical? Or the club not providing Puel with a decent striker or two to operate in the box!? ;)