Claude Puel

beavis17

• 1 month later...

Pity Old Les sacked him. But, to be fair, Leicester have got a much stronger squad than ours. You can't really compare the likes of Shane Long, Steven Davis, James Ward-Prowse and Fraser Forster to Jamie Vardy, Riyad Mahrez, Demarai Gray and Kaspar Schmeichel. We simply haven't got a rich owner prepared to pay for players of that calibre.

Pity Old Les sacked him. But, to be fair, Leicester have got a much stronger squad than ours. You can't really compare the likes of Shane Long, Steven Davis, James Ward-Prowse and Fraser Forster to Jamie Vardy, Riyad Mahrez, Demarai Gray and Kaspar Schmeichel. We simply haven't got a rich owner prepared to pay for players of that calibre.

We have a much stronger defense than them.

Never thought Puel had any luck when he managed us as so many chances were missed and a number of flukey goals were scored against us

But things have changed

Always said that he wasn't dealt a great hand with us, what with vvd injury and Fonte wanting away. But you could see that he was a good manager, we should never have got rid. The way we treated him has probably galvanised him personally to do well with Leicester, which he will. MP is not going to get near to the same end results and was probably always on a bit of a hiding to nothing with us.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

Had Austin not been injured I think Puel would still be our manager. Thinking particularly of the missed penalties against Man U and Hull which you'd have fancied Charlie to stick away.

That said, we weren't great to watch under Puel (much better away from home than we currently are though). I only really wanted rid of Puel for someone better and there's no evidence that MP is any better or even at least as good. With hind sight we should have stuck with him. I'm not sure many who wanted Puel out at the time would have been happy with us appointing Pellegrino.

Hopefully, although I doubt it will happen, the Saints owners will now take a very, very close look at

a certain Mr Reed's performance over the last couple of years. Perhaps a review of Mr Krueger would

also be a good idea as well?

https://www.fourfourtwo.com/features/7-best-sporting-directors-world-football-right-now?page=0%2

Had Austin not been injured I think Puel would still be our manager. Thinking particularly of the missed penalties against Man U and Hull which you'd have fancied Charlie to stick away.

That said, we weren't great to watch under Puel (much better away from home than we currently are though). I only really wanted rid of Puel for someone better and there's no evidence that MP is any better or even at least as good. With hind sight we should have stuck with him. I'm not sure many who wanted Puel out at the time would have been happy with us appointing Pellegrino.

Ditto.

The fact we had no one better lined up when we finally sacked him is a testimony to bumbling by Les.

Always said that he wasn't dealt a great hand with us, what with vvd injury and Fonte wanting away. But you could see that he was a good manager, we should never have got rid. The way we treated him has probably galvanised him personally to do well with Leicester, which he will. MP is not going to get near to the same end results and was probably always on a bit of a hiding to nothing with us.

I would say in all our home games bar Burnley, Leicester, Sparta, Liverpool in the cup and the second half against Inter, that wasn't the case.

I can't see any case for us treating him badly either. He was brought in well before the season started, given a good squad of players and we perceived with him through a whole season. This wasn't some knee-jerk sacking after 10 games of a bloke trying to manage a hopeless squad like Hull or Sunderland.

In fairness our owners would quite happily have bought players of that calibre for the amount Leicester paid for them at the time (in fact I think we were meant to be in for Gray but he chose Leicester), but our scouting simply hasn't been effective.

As a sting in the tail to this though, the bloke credited with unearthing these gems built himself a big reputation, and has not had the same Midas touch at Everton, although has largely been overlooked in the fall out there.

I wanted Puel out because the football was negative and we hadn't seen a home goal at St Mary's for yonks. Now I think it was the players and not Puel who should have taken the blame (all those missed penalties for a start). With VVD injured for half the season and no replacement for Mane and Wanyama Puel got us to 8th place and a cup final...deserved a medal really

He was the right fit for us, but seems to be doing a decent job a Leicester, so credit where it’s due.

Still dont think he would have done any better with us and believe we were correct in getting rid after he lost the dressing room though

In fairness our owners would quite happily have bought players of that calibre for the amount Leicester paid for them at the time (in fact I think we were meant to be in for Gray but he chose Leicester), but our scouting simply hasn't been effective.

As a sting in the tail to this though, the bloke credited with unearthing these gems built himself a big reputation, and has not had the same Midas touch at Everton, although has largely been overlooked in the fall out there.

Ive been told that in our championship season it was a toss up between Vardy or Sharp and we went for Sharp. Suppose with the benefit of hindsight it looks an awful choice, but Sharp’s goals did help towards promotion that season.

Ive been told that in our championship season it was a toss up between Vardy or Sharp and we went for Sharp. Suppose with the benefit of hindsight it looks an awful choice, but Sharp’s goals did help towards promotion that season.

Vardy was playing non-League football, whilst Sharp was banging them in in the Championship. When Vardy was signed up by Leicester he scored 5 goals in his first season in the Championship, compared to Sharp getting 9 in half a season for us.

Chances are Vardy would have scored a lot less than Sharp and the points dropped would have put us behind West Ham in the table.

Convenient player comparisons. Sure VVD, Cedric, Bertrand, Lemina, Romeu and Tadic are better than Morgan, Simpson, Fuchs, Iborra, Ndidi and Albrighton. Our squads are very similar in quality

He was the right fit for us, but seems to be doing a decent job a Leicester, so credit where it’s due.

Still dont think he would have done any better with us and believe we were correct in getting rid after he lost the dressing room though

If reports of this are true then indeed the players involved are mainly to blame. Just like they allegedly were when Sturrock was forced out. And we all know what happened after that.

Convenient player comparisons. Sure VVD, Cedric, Bertrand, Lemina, Romeu and Tadic are better than Morgan, Simpson, Fuchs, Iborra, Ndidi and Albrighton. Our squads are very similar in quality

Attackers win matches though. We've completely bossed some matches this season and last and walked away with a draw or worse. Leicester have been bossed in some matches and snatched a win. As a result they sit well above us on the table. That's the difference between a team with great defence vs a good attack.

We've taken 201 shots this season, 22.4% on target, 13.4 shots per goal.

They've taken 159 shots, 32.7% on target, 6.9 shots per goal.

It's night and day how wasteful we've been up front since Pelle/Mane were sold.

Can't believe anyone who saw all our home games last season would now be wishing we didn't sack Puel. Granted we had a few better away games but at home we were not only very poor but also excruciatingly dull, and most importantly we were getting worse not better He has made a decent start at Leicester, nothing more nothing less, but he has far better and pacier attackers to play his defensive safety first tactics knowing there is a good chance the likes of Vardy and Mahrez will nick a goal on the break.

His crime here was employing negative team selection and tactics when we already had relatively weak attacking options and trouble scoring and it made for grim viewing. You have to adjust how you play to suit the personnel you have at your disposal. I'm far from convinced MP is any better or the right man for us but I'm so glad we don't have to endure Puel's cure for insomnia anymore which stopped some people near me from renewing their ST's in the summer. Still wish him well though, was just the wrong fit for us.

I'm not surprised he's doing well with Leicester. People tend to look at the results and just assume we were wrong for sacking him but there's more to it than that. Puel likes to play a style where you sit and defend deep then break on the counter with pace. Unfortunately he didn't have the players to do so at Southampton and it was a style the players didn't like or adapt well to. Leicester won a title under Ranieri playing that exact style and they even did it playing largely with a 442 diamond formation. Like it or not, up top they simply have better players than us that can score and are very much used to playing his way already. They are a good fit, he wasn't with us. Build a bridge.

It's surprising there are still fans who think owners can spend anything they like on players as long as they are rich enough. Spending more than you earn, in order to buy success, as done at Chelsea and Man City, was outlawed by 'Financial Fair Play' which why blaming the owners doesn't work. As it happens, NordicSaint hasn't chosen well to illustrate his argument because the total that Saints paid for the players mentioned (even allowing that Ward-Prowse was home-grown), was more than the total paid for the Leicester four.

For clubs such as our that cannot spend unlimited sums, even if we do have wealthy owners, the real importance is how well the recruitment department is working finding players such as Vardy for Leicester, who cost them a maximum of £1.7m or Mane and others purchased for far less than their subsequent value.

People don't half get carried away. I'm sure most of you have seen multiple football seasons in the past. Managers make good and bad starts, they can be good or bad for the club either way. Good luck to Puel, he seems like a decent guy but it's a handful of games.

If us sacking him made him rethink his dour approach to the game then great. There are far too many negative managers now and a culture of fear of actually playing attacking football.

I think people just need to bracket managers as good or bad too much. I only judge Puel on Saints, where he was extremely poor. Nothing changes that, however much people want to change it to fit a new narrative. Likewise, Strachan was good for us back in the day, however much he's been rubbish since, same with Adkins.

the games were dull down to us not scoring, and that was down to Reed selling the majority of our goals and not replacing them.

Puel had us playing some of the best football I had seen s play in years

You have misjudged what e could have achieved under him, and now we have to hope MP can salvage something, but it is going to be touch and go, especially if we lose the next 2-or 3 games

the games were dull down to us not scoring, and that was down to Reed selling the majority of our goals and not replacing them.

Puel had us playing some of the best football I had seen s play in years

You have misjudged what e could have achieved under him, and now we have to hope MP can salvage something, but it is going to be touch and go, especially if we lose the next 2-or 3 games

:lol:

Said in the summer that I would have happily given him till January to see what he was building but could understand why he was sacked as the football WAS poor for large parts of the season, whatever the revisionists will say now.

Sent from my SM-J330FN using Tapatalk

Said in the summer that I would have happily given him till January to see what he was building but could understand why he was sacked as the football WAS poor for large parts of the season, whatever the revisionists will say now.

Sent from my SM-J330FN using Tapatalk

Is it revisionist to say we spent the whole 2nd half of the season without our 2 leaders in defence (VVD/Fonte) and without our best striker in Austin? We'd be right in a relegation scrap without VVD/Austin this year.

Is it revisionist to say we spent the whole 2nd half of the season without our 2 leaders in defence (VVD/Fonte) and without our best striker in Austin? We'd be right in a relegation scrap without VVD/Austin this year.

The team got worse the more time Puel got to spend with them after all the excuses of too many games in the first half of the season. He knocked the stuffing out of Gabbiadini who was scoring for fun when he first came. PEH, who has been one of our best players since gettting a go under MP laughably couldn't get a sniff under Puel. He's gone. Let it go.

What's funny? He's right. When Puel set us up to attack we played some of the best football I've sen from Saints. Probalem is, he only did that for like two games. The rest was ****e.

how old are you then? 3

Pochettino had better games, 8-0 v sunderland was better than anything puel served up

im guessing you are in your teens as we played far better attacking football back in the day

The team got worse the more time Puel got to spend with them after all the excuses of too many games in the first half of the season. He knocked the stuffing out of Gabbiadini who was scoring for fun when he first came. PEH, who has been one of our best players since gettting a go under MP laughably couldn't get a sniff under Puel. He's gone. Let it go.

The team got worse when we had nothing to play for post-EFL cup final. The same way every mid-table team ends a season. The seasons before we were fighting to the last for Europe.

As for Gabbi, he's never been consistent at any point in his career. 26 years old and only 50 career league goals. Austin 2 years older with 201 league goals.

Not to mention not replacing Mane/Pelle/VW, many midweek Euro games which required rotation, and no Gabbi until January (who then got injured after the cup final - in which we played brilliantly and should've won). But as I've said before, some of the Puel-out mob will never admit they were wrong. But at the end of the day (if reports are true) it's the players who forced him out that are to blame.

Its funny how those same posters that cried when people correctly judged Puel after 20-25 games are now happy to sign off his success after just 6!

I'll personally stick to judging and evaluating managers (& players) over a prolonged period - 25-35 games always gives a fair and fuller perspective.

When will you boys learn? The same posters that said Everton were going down 2 weeks ago :lol: :lol: :lol:

Its funny how those same posters that cried when people correctly judged Puel after 20-25 games are now happy to sign off his success after just 6!

I'll personally stick to judging and evaluating managers (& players) over a prolonged period - 25-35 games always gives a fair and fuller perspective.

When will you boys learn? The same posters that said Everton were going down 2 weeks ago :lol: :lol: :lol:

#triggered

lol so are Leicester going down or what?

When will you boys learn? The same posters that said Everton were going down 2 weeks ago [emoji38] [emoji38] [emoji38]

Fair play, 1-1 was a cracking result yesterday and you must be well chuffed.