Claude Puel

beavis17

I didn't see any home games live last season so won't comment on them and only went away from home post Xmas as I was too ill before that.

Away from home I thought we played better football than we had done away from home under RK. It was classic, rapid, counter attacking football in the main with chances made aplenty. Our biggest issue was taking those chances.

The game plan was always clear to see from the terraces and was usually executed well. Yeah there will always be the balls up along the way but I tended to travel expecting at least a point, usually all three.

I too thought him a very decent bloke and a good coach. far too many of our very dense fans, and we have more than our fair share, didn't like him from the off as he wasn't RK and never really gave him a chance.

I look at our manager now and I think to myself that we are certainly no better off under him than we were Puel. I don't see a plan, I don't see anything of substance at all.

Managers either fit clubs or they don't. Some of our best managers are much less well regarded elsewhere (McMenemy, Ball, Strachan). Claude didn't quite fit even though he did some good things(reached a final, gave fringe players a chance). Will he fit at Leicester? The communication problem with the fans could be his major obsticle. They are used to Ranieri. I've no doubt he can keep them up.

Leicester have better attacking options than us. So if Leicester have a problem scoring goals, then it will be fair to say that Puel and his tactics are the problem.

Personally, I think a world class manager like him will flourish there, perhaps attracting the attention of clubs like PSG. The likes of Neymar, I'm sure, will be very excited at working with him.

Am I doing trolling right, or is it a bit too obvious?

its not rewriting history, it is down to the fact that many have skulls of bone and didn't see the whole picture.

Puel was disliked from the start by many, as he didn't speak good English and his post match interviews were not made up of quips.This made it difficult for the fans to warm to him.

He was also not backed by Reed and co by getting a goalscorer in. I and many others banged on about losing 30 odd goals and not replacing them. Many fell for the 'we bought the goalscorer 4 or 5 months previous. A player who sadly was never likely to be fit enough to play the games, and also not mobile enough to suit our style.

Sadly he was not given a summer transfer window to bring in his squad.

We heard that players were not happy (how much truth in that we do not know) but is that not with any squad if they are not playing?

The highs we had last season may be lost to us for many seasons, due to the knee jerk reaction our club made in sacking him. The cup run and finish in the league will be something we may not enjoy again for a long time,as our team has crumbled from being a structured team that linked well and created chances.

Yes we went on a run of home games without scoring, but like Saturday nights game, the mediocre football is forgotten once a goal went in, those 0-0 draws would have been forgotten had we scored and won 1-0.

I wish Puel luck and hope he does well at Leicester because I feel he was treated disgracefully by the club and a large percentage of fans

like-button.jpg

We also had a far stronger squad before Puel took over and, thanks to Koeman dumping us out early, no Europa League group stage to worry about.

We are worse this year than we were last with a stronger squad and fewer games.

Managers either fit clubs or they don't. Some of our best managers are much less well regarded elsewhere (McMenemy, Ball, Strachan). Claude didn't quite fit even though he did some good things(reached a final, gave fringe players a chance). Will he fit at Leicester? The communication problem with the fans could be his major obsticle. They are used to Ranieri. I've no doubt he can keep them up.

I think this is a bit of a strawman argument actually, I haven't met anyone who actually wanted Puel out because of his interviews. Sure they were dull but nobody really cares about them anyway. Poch conducted all of his in Spanish, I don't remember the clamour for him to be sacked when we were playing 'muy bien'.

Post match interviews are pretty much a checklist of the same dosen, standard clichés anyway. I'm surprised anyone bothers listening to them.

I think this is a bit of a strawman argument actually, I haven't met anyone who actually wanted Puel out because of his interviews. Sure they were dull but nobody really cares about them anyway. Poch conducted all of his in Spanish, I don't remember the clamour for him to be sacked when we were playing 'muy bien'.

Post match interviews are pretty much a checklist of the same dosen, standard clichés anyway. I'm surprised anyone bothers listening to them.

It was bit of an issue for the usual suspects.

I have three issues with him not speaking English –

A) I have to watch 6 minutes of boring conference which could be covered in 2 minutes if he spoke English

2) He is the manager and should set a good example. He is asking the players to play with confidence and express themselves. If he is not “confident” in his own life/abilities the players will sniff this out and he will lose respect.

D) He is a manager is the English league – the fans speak English, it’s a respect thing

And don’t forget the blue tie...

Edited by shurlock

Could be some embarrassment at St Mary's if he does well there, and MP does not live up to expectation.

Not really, nothing he achieves at Leicester will change what he did at Southampton. If he does go there and play exciting, attacking football it will just leave many of us wondering why he was the complete opposite at Saints. It's the same as people saying MP under-performing means it was wrong to sack Puel. It wasn't, it just means we may have appointed the wrong successor.

Not really, nothing he achieves at Leicester will change what he did at Southampton. If he does go there and play exciting, attacking football it will just leave many of us wondering why he was the complete opposite at Saints. It's the same as people saying MP under-performing means it was wrong to sack Puel. It wasn't, it just means we may have appointed the wrong successor.

Therein lies my point. If he does this, or is successful, it will deflect his shortcomings or failings at Saints onto others to some degree.

Agree that the decision to sack, and the subsequent selection of his replacement are separate decisions.

What are the odds i wonder on Eric Black leaving to join him at Leicester, I for one hope he does then Sammy Lee can come back

Think Leicester will be relegation fodder with Puel in charge, think Vardy will bang him out on the training ground after a few months too especially after he chats sh!t in his interviews :)

Therein lies my point. If he does this, or is successful, it will deflect his shortcomings or failings at Saints onto others to some degree.

Agree that the decision to sack, and the subsequent selection of his replacement are separate decisions.

Fair point, although I can't see who would be particularly embarrassed. It's not as if we undermined him or didn't support him in the transfer market. Boufal, Hojbjerg and Redmond all looked like decent enough signings when we made them, then when we were struggling for goals we splashed out quite a lot on Gabbi in January.

I don't think Les or anyone else has reason to be embarrassed, it just wasn't working so we acted accordingly. Sensible business IMO.

Fair point, although I can't see who would be particularly embarrassed. It's not as if we undermined him or didn't support him in the transfer market. Boufal, Hojbjerg and Redmond all looked like decent enough signings when we made them, then when we were struggling for goals we splashed out quite a lot on Gabbi in January.

I don't think Les or anyone else has reason to be embarrassed, it just wasn't working so we acted accordingly. Sensible business IMO.

We got Gabbi right at the end of transfer window I think you will find. He also was not fit when he first arrived and then got injured during his purple patch. I also wonder, if he was sacked as KL was concerned that the ST sales were plummeting and her payday may have been affected

Didn't buy a striker in the summer, and didn't buy a CB in January.

Not sure Redmond was the new Henry as the PR machine peddled.

I'd accept the parting of the ways was the right decision if we'd made an upgrade. As it is I think we've made a sideways move but wait to see otherwise.

Didn't buy a striker in the summer, and didn't buy a CB in January.

Not sure Redmond was the new Henry as the PR machine peddled.

I'd accept the parting of the ways was the right decision if we'd made an upgrade. As it is I think we've made a sideways move but wait to see otherwise.

We had Austin, J Rod, Long, Redmond, Boufal and Tadic all competing for 3 spots. With young players like Sims and Hesketh also hoping to play, that's enough bodies. The fact that they didn't perform isn't Reed's fault. There should have been enough goals from those players.

PR is PR. Every player signed by anyone gets 'bigged' up. They can hardly sign Redmond and say, "he's a bit crap, he got relegated and TBH he was just cheap." As a replacement for Juanmi, he's been pretty decent.

The whole Fonte thing in January I agree was daft. He dropped a clanger there, selling our captain without a replacement.

Find it infuriating hearing pundits go on about 8th place. I get fans are black and white and can't put a coherent thought together half the time, but if you're paid to give insight at least look at the fcking table.

8th? Fck off. 8th-17th were dross. Order meant absolutely nothing, just luck of other teams losing games in final weeks while we did nothing. Yet the experts ignore most the squad going backwards, ignore the huge points drop, ignore the huge goals drop, ignore the insipid football, ignore the poor signings. 8th.

There is no difference being 8th on 60 points and beating the big clubs to 8th on 46 points and beating no one of note. Fans don't care about fewer goals, fewer wins, merit, worse football and little hope for the future. Just the league table.

With the top 4-6 clubs winning a bigger percentage of games the points total is always going to be less for teams finishing 8th.

The EFL cup run with the games we won and the scintillating football and tactical nous, on that run would give Puel a bit of slack. Sadly a lot of fans were like spolit kids and couldn't see that we had forwards who couldn't put the ball in the net. Had our 60m centre half and Jrod put away their simple chances in 2 of the European games we would have got through that as well

We had Austin, J Rod, Long, Redmond, Boufal and Tadic all competing for 3 spots. With young players like Sims and Hesketh also hoping to play, that's enough bodies. The fact that they didn't perform isn't Reed's fault. There should have been enough goals from those players.

PR is PR. Every player signed by anyone gets 'bigged' up. They can hardly sign Redmond and say, "he's a bit crap, he got relegated and TBH he was just cheap." As a replacement for Juanmi, he's been pretty decent.

The whole Fonte thing in January I agree was daft. He dropped a clanger there, selling our captain without a replacement.

Lighthouse, of the strikers you mention only Austin is a recognised goalscorer. JR & Long are 1 in 4 strikers, and as it was unlikely they would each feature their goals were always likely to be thinly spread. I don't really regard Boufal, Tadic or Redmond as out and out strikers. Fair point re Sims in the squad waiting his chance.

Your comments about Redmond are probably nearer the truth and what most Saints fans thought on his signing.If he was the replacement for Juanmi he's definitely an upgrade, but that's interesting as it meant our 'Juanmi 2016/17 version was a regular starter whereas the original was only just making the bench.

We probably have to agree to disagree slightly, whilst not a great fan of Puel at the end of his time with us, I don't think he was dealt the best hand possible by the club (but perhaps didn't get the best out of what was available to him either).