Claude Puel

beavis17

It wasn't a dreadful decision, it was entirely the right decision to sack Puel. The football was dire, the points drop from the previous season was huge, the lack of goals and excitement for season ticket holders was stark. The problem is not the act of sacking Puel, it is the disastrous decision to appoint Pellegrino to replace him. A competent manager would likely have this squad in mid table.

A competent manager would get us to mid table... a world class manager would get us to 8th and a cup final.

It wasn't a dreadful decision, it was entirely the right decision to sack Puel. The football was dire, the points drop from the previous season was huge, the lack of goals and excitement for season ticket holders was stark. The problem is not the act of sacking Puel, it is the disastrous decision to appoint Pellegrino to replace him. A competent manager would likely have this squad in mid table.

Yes indeed. Someone like Puel.

it was pointed out that selling the majority of goals we had scored and not replacing them was a disaster. I not very good at getting the data, but Ic wonder how many gilt edged chances were scorned last season compared to the previous season. Puel deserved another season as it was due to lack of a goalscorer stopped 0-0 draws into victories. To then compound the bad decision to appoint a manager who finished lower in the Spanish league that also didn't score goals was total madness

it was pointed out that selling the majority of goals we had scored and not replacing them was a disaster. I not very good at getting the data, but Ic wonder how many gilt edged chances were scorned last season compared to the previous season. Puel deserved another season as it was due to lack of a goalscorer stopped 0-0 draws into victories. To then compound the bad decision to appoint a manager who finished lower in the Spanish league that also didn't score goals was total madness

I don’t agree that the lack of a goalscorer was the problem. It was the awful, dire turgid football that we had to endure.

I don’t agree that the lack of a goalscorer was the problem. It was the awful, dire turgid football that we had to endure.
a 1-0 victory always glosses over the rest of what went on in a game, as we get the adrenyline rush of a goal being scored. Had we won 2 or 3 of those home games 1-0 puel would still be here IMO. We would not be where we are now if he had stayed

• 4 weeks later...
Players rule at Leicester so no doubt Puel will be gone soon. Luckily for us once the players got what they wanted with Puel leaving they really upped their game this season...

The stupid thing is you're right, they'll get rid of Puel, then the players who dictated it will probably move on themselves. They'll then need a fairly solid manager, who can get good-enough results from a fairly average squad.

Puel only seems good in hindsight, with the knowledge that MoPe was even worse. Case of selective memory. The football was turgid under Puel - remember the final Europa cup group match when he set us out for a 0-0. All those home games in the second half of the season where we didn't score or even look like scoring

The problem was appointing Puel in the first place and then following up with Pellegrino. Now I wonder whose decision that was?

Puel only seems good in hindsight, with the knowledge that MoPe was even worse. Case of selective memory. The football was turgid under Puel - remember the final Europa cup group match when he set us out for a 0-0. All those home games in the second half of the season where we didn't score or even look like scoring

The problem was appointing Puel in the first place and then following up with Pellegrino. Now I wonder whose decision that was?

I think what the second half of Puel's season showed was how poor our squad was becoming, the warning signs where there for all to see, but most put it down to the manager. We are now on our third manager in two seasons and the biggest constant thing is the lack of individual quality in our players at both ends of the pitch when it matters.

Puel's season showed we needed a reliable regular goal scorer, proper pace for the counter attack, a midfielder with some vision and goals in them, another solid DM and better CB options two transfer windows latter the club managed to not really fix any of those problems.

Puel had to go for obvious reasons (Loss of the dressing room) and it looks like he's working his magic with the Leicester squad as well.

Sacking Puel wasn't the wrong thing to do, the panic / rushed appointment then subsequent failing to get rid of MP (who is a terrible manager) was.

Had puel stayed, I do not doubt that we would be in a similar position to where we currently are.

We basically made two shambolic managerial appointments.

The appointment of Puel was worse in my opinion, simply because of the position we were appointing from. Top 6, EL football, lots of $$ to spend. Should have aimed so much higher, but we tried to be clever. And that 'trying to be clever' theme carried on over the next 24 months.

The appointment of Puel was worse in my opinion, simply because of the position we were appointing from. Top 6, EL football, lots of $$ to spend. Should have aimed so much higher, but we tried to be clever. And that 'trying to be clever' theme carried on over the next 24 months.

Should be the title of a book that covers this part of our history.

Puel had to go for obvious reasons (Loss of the dressing room) and it looks like he's working his magic with the Leicester squad as well.

Sacking Puel wasn't the wrong thing to do, the panic / rushed appointment then subsequent failing to get rid of MP (who is a terrible manager) was.

Had puel stayed, I do not doubt that we would be in a similar position to where we currently are.

So the question has to be why have the players have not responded to Puel leaving by putting in better performances this season they got what they wanted and have responded by being even more turd.

It's hard to escape the conclusion that the players are a bigger part of the problem than the managers. To many average players who think they are better than they are.

So the question has to be why have the players have not responded to Puel leaving by putting in better performances this season they got what they wanted and have responded by being even more turd.

It's hard to escape the conclusion that the players are a bigger part of the problem than the managers. To many average players who think they are better than they are.

Because MP is an awful manager, worse than Puel. It was clear he wasn't up to the task from pretty early on. A nice bloke, got on with most of the players, but just pretty sh!t at his job.

The first thing Hughes said when he come in was that they were shot on confidence. Something that had been sapped from them from the past 2 managers. Unfortunately, the atmosphere at the club seems pretty toxic from top to bottom.

Puel isn't a bad manager tactically, but he appears to have issues keeping a dressing room happy, which (like it or not) is a major part of the job.

I've no doubt that we are a few players short and that we have some significant weakness' in the squad (i.e CB and a bit of pace), but the core of our squad is much better than the position we are in.

Had Poch had this squad, I've no doubt we would comfortably be top 10. So yes, the managers are a problem.

Who else would we have got? On paper Puel had/has a good history of getting middling teams to overachieve.

Pellegrino - not so much

Who else would we have got? On paper Puel had/has a good history of getting middling teams to overachieve.

Pellegrino - not so much

Benitez, Rudi Garcia, Laurent Blanc, Manuel Pellegrini, Schmidt

Genuine options we should have been all over in my opinion, and appointments which would have galvanised the support and helped us attract. We were in such a good position, but the club decided to go cheap and get someone like Claude. It never felt right with him, just a bit of a non-appointment.

Because MP is an awful manager, worse than Puel. It was clear he wasn't up to the task from pretty early on. A nice bloke, got on with most of the players, but just pretty sh!t at his job.

The first thing Hughes said when he come in was that they were shot on confidence. Something that had been sapped from them from the past 2 managers. Unfortunately, the atmosphere at the club seems pretty toxic from top to bottom.

Puel isn't a bad manager tactically, but he appears to have issues keeping a dressing room happy, which (like it or not) is a major part of the job.

I've no doubt that we are a few players short and that we have some significant weakness' in the squad (i.e CB and a bit of pace), but the core of our squad is much better than the position we are in.

Had Poch had this squad, I've no doubt we would comfortably be top 10. So yes, the managers are a problem.

No team with our current CBs and strikers will ever be comfortably be top 10 unless we are in league 1.

Personally I've had enough of people defending this bunch of over paid, underperforming ****s. I have very little affinity with the current players who talk a good game (much like the club hierarchy) but are totally unable to deliver on the pitch. Week after week we are let down by this bunch of players and people still want to claim its not their fault and they are a good team.

Lyon had won the French title 7 years in row.

They then appointed Puel.

Never won it since

That's the Puel effect

If you recall the EFl cup final last season, where we made ourselves proud as the football world watch us play some superb football. None of that team has been sold. We still could field that whole team, but since Puel left we have not played anywhere near that standard. We were in transition, and with a tad more patience we would have been mid table minimum, and perhaps better as he may have improved the squad.

If you recall the EFl cup final last season, where we made ourselves proud as the football world watch us play some superb football. None of that team has been sold. We still could field that whole team, but since Puel left we have not played anywhere near that standard. We were in transition, and with a tad more patience we would have been mid table minimum, and perhaps better as he may have improved the squad.

That cup final performance was rare and despite having 15 full days to prepare (vs United 3 days) he still blew it.

Puel started this massive decline.

That cup final performance was rare and despite having 15 full days to prepare (vs United 3 days) he still blew it.

But you said it was all down to Reed.... make up your mind or is your unnatural obsession with him on the wane or have you had help with it?

you can dress it up as you like to try and argue your weak position. The fact is we played superb football, and those same players are at the club. Apart from VVD, that was basically the team who got us to 8th. To the outside world, we have done football Hari Kari, both fans and club have little sympathy from them.

you can dress it up as you like to try and argue your weak position. The fact is we played superb football, and those same players are at the club. Apart from VVD, that was basically the team who got us to 8th. To the outside world, we have done football Hari Kari, both fans and club have little sympathy from them.

I suggest its you that's dressing things up - what happened after the cup final? Were you a Puel fan you honestly haven't told us?

Without the points won by Jay Rodriguez's goals, Puel's Saints would have finished 17th, and he had van Dijk and Fonte for a lot of games that season too. As the squad has continued to be stripped of all talent, there really isn't much left for any manager. With our current squad, I doubt we'd be any higher than we are now with Puel in charge. Even Pellegrino could have got Leicester up to 9th this season with players as good as Schmeichel, Mahrez and Vardy. Remember, when he still had van Dijk here, we were up to 11th in December this season.

Here's further proof that Puel was a shocking appointment: https://www.theguardian.com/football/2018/apr/08/leicester-claude-puel-squad-unrest

Happy to see Nick, Forester and others admit they were wrong to blame the fans.

I suggest its you that's dressing things up - what happened after the cup final? Were you a Puel fan you honestly haven't told us?
I tell you what happened. Gabbiadini, got injured with Austin and we were left with forwards who could not score in a drug den. The confidence ebbed away and the fans got restless. Puel maywell have failed this season but not as badly as the situation we find ourselves in. Enjoy Championship football and we all can recall those boring 0-0 draws in the PL,it may be many years before we get the chance again.

Here's further proof that Puel was a shocking appointment: https://www.theguardian.com/football/2018/apr/08/leicester-claude-puel-squad-unrest

Happy to see Nick, Forester and others admit they were wrong to blame the fans.

I blame some entitled fans, not all of them. Mainly I blame the club for not purchasing a goalscorer after selling all the goals in the pre season as Puel arrived.

I blame some entitled fans, not all of them. Mainly I blame the club for not purchasing a goalscorer after selling all the goals in the pre season as Puel arrived.

The ones who made no effort to force Les Reed to retire and never complained about the sale of all our best players and lack of adequate replacements, you mean? Because they'd be the only ones you could really apportion any blame to for our current demise.

I tell you what happened. Gabbiadini, got injured with Austin and we were left with forwards who could not score in a drug den. The confidence ebbed away and the fans got restless. Puel maywell have failed this season but not as badly as the situation we find ourselves in. Enjoy Championship football and we all can recall those boring 0-0 draws in the PL,it may be many years before we get the chance again.

I will enjoy Championship football I may just see us win a few home games something I havent for 2 years!

No team with our current CBs and strikers will ever be comfortably be top 10 unless we are in league 1.

Personally I've had enough of people defending this bunch of over paid, underperforming ****s. I have very little affinity with the current players who talk a good game (much like the club hierarchy) but are totally unable to deliver on the pitch. Week after week we are let down by this bunch of players and people still want to claim its not their fault and they are a good team.

This is spades.

How did they respond to getting rid of that nasty man Claude, by giving us the worst season in years, including an abject performance against the man that was holding them back & stifling them. How did they respond to that awful manager Pell leaving, by giving the new manager one of the most spineless cowardly performance I’ve ever witnessed in his first league game. Of course “ it’s because they’ve had their confidence shattered by the previous managers”. They’re so lacking in confidence, that they can’t even try. It’s not the fact they’re not good enough, it’s the fact they think they are which is the problem. Ryan Bertrand being captain sums the whole thing up, his stupid ****ing grin whilst going through the motions at Newcastle & West Ham, his complete lack of any leadership or drive. This lot deserve to be championship players, but I wouldn’t want many of them anywhere near the club. They’ll probably mince around down there thinking they’re premier league players guesting for a season. Bunch of ****s.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

This is spades.

How did they respond to getting rid of that nasty man Claude, by giving us the worst season in years, including an abject performance against the man that was holding them back & stifling them. How did they respond to that awful manager Pell leaving, by giving the new manager one of the most spineless cowardly performance I’ve ever witnessed in his first league game. Of course “ it’s because they’ve had their confidence shattered by the previous managers”. They’re so lacking in confidence, that they can’t even try. It’s not the fact they’re not good enough, it’s the fact they think they are which is the problem. Ryan Bertrand being captain sums the whole thing up, his stupid ****ing grin whilst going through the motions at Newcastle & West Ham, his complete lack of any leadership or drive. This lot deserve to be championship players, but I wouldn’t want many of them anywhere near the club. They’ll probably mince around down there thinking they’re premier league players guesting for a season. Bunch of ****s.

I blame the people recruiting them....what happened to that diligence we used to allegedly do?

I watched Mitovic at Fulham the other night...jeesh the guy may be a bit nuts but at least he shows some passion and desire in both boxes.

Lack of recruitment in Januaries 2017/18 is why we are where we are...appalling.

Without the points won by Jay Rodriguez's goals, Puel's Saints would have finished 17th, and he had van Dijk and Fonte for a lot of games that season too. As the squad has continued to be stripped of all talent, there really isn't much left for any manager. With our current squad, I doubt we'd be any higher than we are now with Puel in charge. Even Pellegrino could have got Leicester up to 9th this season with players as good as Schmeichel, Mahrez and Vardy. Remember, when he still had van Dijk here, we were up to 11th in December this season.

I beg to differ. The clown would've have dragged them down from a top 10 level team to relegation candidates. Evidence? Us.

Had Puel stayed, I do not doubt that we would not be in a relegation battle.

This is spades.

Well said. Good player though Bertrand is, he isn't a leader of men is he? He was laughing and joking with Jack Stephens whilst we were two nil down in the biggest game of the season v West Ham. Ridiculous. Contrast that with Vincent Kompany who almost burst a blood vessel in anger at being pegged back by Man U, despite the fact City are still a million points clear.

The direction we were heading at the end of the season, we may well have been. Wasn't it 6 blanks in his last 7 home games or something?

Unfair to extrapolate from those last few meaningless matches: long season already over (extra Euro and cup games), and key injuries.