Claude Puel

beavis17

A well-reasoned opinion, since Puel is nowhere near the relegation zone and never has been as a Premier League manager. People who keep denigrating his record are just embarrassing themselves.

Didn't you promise to never mention Puel again? Was that a fact?

A well-reasoned opinion, since Puel is nowhere near the relegation zone and never has been as a Premier League manager. People who keep denigrating his record are just embarrassing themselves.

He almost got relegated with Nice iirc.

He's sucked the life out of Leicester, just like he sucked the life out of us.

Claude Puel is a good manager, not a great one, but not the idiot some on here claim. He did a very good job for us with the players he was given and deserved to start the following season. He’s doing about average with the players Leicester have.

It’s a cop out to say “ sacking him wasn’t wrong, the replacement was”, instead of admitting it was a major error to sack him. A major error that many supported and hence their “ wrong replacement “ line, rather than holding their hands up and stating they were wrong. Anybody can trot out this line about any situation. The forum is full of people claiming we sold too many players, how about it wasn’t selling Mane, Pelle, Vic, VvD that cost us, but replacing them with Redmond, Gabbi, PEH, & Wes that cost us. Does that argument make the decision to sell those players right, no it doesn’t. Just as the decision to sack Claude wasn’t right and is a major factor in us playing championship football next season.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

If Puel was our manager, we wouldn't be in the relegation zone, that is a fact.

No other manager could have done what he did with the mediocre squad we had, and the lengthy injuries to our best striker and best centre back.

It's a jolly funny routine you're working up. Keep at it.

I got so much stick last year for my opinion of Puel, and then warned be careful what you wish for when we sacked him.

This is no one’s fault but the board’s for not employing Pellegrini and appointing Puel. That really was the beginning of the end.

Claude Puel is a good manager, not a great one, but not the idiot some on here claim. He did a very good job for us with the players he was given and deserved to start the following season. He’s doing about average with the players Leicester have.

It’s a cop out to say “ sacking him wasn’t wrong, the replacement was”, instead of admitting it was a major error to sack him. A major error that many supported and hence their “ wrong replacement “ line, rather than holding their hands up and stating they were wrong. Anybody can trot out this line about any situation. The forum is full of people claiming we sold too many players, how about it wasn’t selling Mane, Pelle, Vic, VvD that cost us, but replacing them with Redmond, Gabbi, PEH, & Wes that cost us. Does that argument make the decision to sell those players right, no it doesn’t. Just as the decision to sack Claude wasn’t right and is a major factor in us playing championship football next season.

Strange because we could only afford those players in the first place because we sold Lallana, Shaw, Chambers and Lovren. Were the board wrong to sell those players? Would we be better off now had we refused to sell and instead not signed the players you listed?

Should we have stuck with Wigley because Redknapp obviously wasn't the right man for us?

What about Hughes? If he loses the last 4 games and ends up with 1 point from a possible 24, does that by default mean Pellegrino was a good manager and shouldn't have been sacked?

What if Pellegrino had done a Ranieri and won the League? Would it still have been wrong to sack Puel?

Of course it’s not a fact.

No but it's highly likely.

No its not. He managed to drop 17 points from our 15/16 season and if he did the same again this season (not impossible given the way our season ended under him) then ironically we'd be on 29 points and relegated.

No its not. He managed to drop 17 points from our 15/16 season and if he did the same again this season (not impossible given the way our season ended under him) then ironically we'd be on 29 points and relegated.

So why is he on course with Leicester to beat his total points with Saints?

Puel put us on a relegation trajectory in the second half of last season - Pellegrino merely auto piloted us to it.

Other than the fact that Puel picked up more wins in the second half of last season than we’ve managed all this season, you’re spot on pal.

Should we have stuck with Wigley because Redknapp obviously wasn't the right man for us?

What about Hughes? If he loses the last 4 games and ends up with 1 point from a possible 24, does that by default mean Pellegrino was a good manager and shouldn't have been sacked?

What if Pellegrino had done a Ranieri and won the League? Would it still have been wrong to sack Puel?

A bloke that took this club and that group of players to 8th and a cup final , shouldn't have been sacked, end of. The people you've listed failed, in no way shape or form is 8th a failure for this club. If you don't know that know, you'll know it in the coming 10 years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This.

Strange because we could only afford those players in the first place because we sold Lallana, Shaw, Chambers and Lovren. Were the board wrong to sell those players? Would we be better off now had we refused to sell and instead not signed the players you listed?

straw_man.jpg

Glasgow, have a crack at answering all, not some, of the questions on post 506.

Have a crack at answering this one question:

Did you enjoy watching us play last season?

Yes, it was great on the road watching us bang in 4 at Sunderland, 4 at Watford, 3 at Wet Spam, great memories of cup wins at Arsenal and Liverpool. There was also a lot of dross, but I always felt we were well organised unlike this shambles of a season.

Now your turn, all the questions are set out in post 506...

Yes, it was great on the road watching us bang in 4 at Sunderland, 4 at Watford, 3 at Wet Spam, great memories of cup wins at Arsenal and Liverpool. There was also a lot of dross, but I always felt we were well organised unlike this shambles of a season.

Wembley was great too.

As a season ticket holder last year I endured the most boring, entertainment free season ever. The Football was absolutely dire at St Mary’s. As it has been this year.

Football is an entertainment industry, for two years at home, there has been none.

Puel and Pellegrino had us playing boring, turgid, possession without purpose Football. No goals, no enjoyment, no nothing.

I watched it, paid to watch it, and myself and the kids hated it.

My own eyes saw it and it was sheeite. Those who defend Puel and say we don’t know how good we had it clearly never watched us at home. I did, and my opinion was, and still is, the last two seasons at home have been terrible, valueless tripe.

Les Reed and his awful recruitment I realise have not helped either, but yes men managers and lack of balls/steel/direction/ have doomed us to where we are now.

As a season ticket holder last year I endured the most boring, entertainment free season ever. The Football was absolutely dire at St Mary’s. As it has been this year.

Football is an entertainment industry, for two years at home, there has been none.

Puel and Pellegrino had us playing boring, turgid, possession without purpose Football. No goals, no enjoyment, no nothing.

My own eyes saw it and it was sheeite. Those who defend Puel and say we don’t know how good we had it clearly never watched us at home. I did, and my opinion was, and still is, the last two seasons at home have been terrible, valueless tripe.

Les Reed and his awful recruitment I realise have not helped either, but yes men managers and lack of balls/steel/direction/ have doomed us to where we are now.

That's a massive understatement.

Sunderland and West Ham were absolutely hopeless in both those games. It's like using this season's Everton game in defence of Pellegrino.

I don't think we were organised, we just sat back. Inevitably that helped us concede fewer goals, at the expense of being hopeless up front. An organised team would grind out a few decent results against top teams. Aside from the cup semi against a sub standard Liverpool, we just sat back and accepted defeat against pretty much anyone decent.

Without looking, I'm guessing all those questions are something about 8th, a cup final and not having Mané and Pelle, which has already been explained to death on here.

You've said it all for me.

Put your money on Leicester to get involved in a relegation battle next season. They would be relegated already had Puel not come in and rescued them.

World class that man. Could be sacked from 2 premier league clubs in 2 years

Looks like they're considering replacing Puel with an alternative world class manager.

Quite strange that their 2nd half of season form is a lot like ours from the last season.

If only they replaced mahrez and vardy.......oh

World class that man. Could be sacked from 2 premier league clubs in 2 years
Better than getting relegated with 2 premier league clubs in 1 year.

Leicester should look at us and be careful what they wish for. If they lose Vardy/Mahrez like we lost Pelle/Mane they'll be scoring as few as us.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Looks like they're considering replacing Puel with an alternative world class manager.

My money is on Emery.

Wish we had their owners to be fair. Ambitious and ruthless. We’re the complete polar opposite.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2018/apr/26/claude-puel-leicester-city-manager-future-uncertain

Similar piece, sounds fairly similar to views of him here.

Sacking Puel was never the mistake some of the smug kn*bs in the media made it out to be, we just royally buggered up the replacement!

‘...players have been left bemused by Puel’s chopping and changing of the team...’

It all sounds very familiar.

I'm not sure why I've wasted a chunk of my day doing it, but I had a look at our Premier League matches - most people would accept we were excellent in the League Cup, the FA Cup was a write off and the Europa League was poor save for a few bright moments - for the 16/17 season. Of course this is subjective, but my rough assessment is that we had 8 games with a good result & performance, 6 with a good result and ok performance, 4 with an ok result/performance, 8 where we didn't get a get result but the performance perhaps merited more, and 12 matches where we were poor and also had a bad result.

The naysayers will look at 20 poor results and only 8 'good' games (esp as they were usually against teams out of sorts) as evidence of a poor season, while fans of Puel will say that 8 good matches is approximately 7 more than this season, also factoring in the extra games we had to play with Europe. So perhaps we can just accept that Puel did ok with what he had to work with, is not a bad manager, but in terms of his man management and philosophy probably took us a step backwards, or at least halted our progression.

For whatever reason, Puel seems to struggle to keep a Premier League squad in good spirits and well motivated.

A lot of our players disliked working with him. That's from a player's mouth.

Now it seems the same is true at Leicester.

For whatever reason, Puel seems to struggle to keep a Premier League squad in good spirits and well motivated.

A lot of our players disliked working with him. That's from a player's mouth.

Now it seems the same is true at Leicester.

I think it's because he has an uncanny knack of just changing the team, game by game, for no real reason. With us he used the excuse of EL football, but he's chopped and changed the Leicester side in exactly the same vein.

There's no denying that he was a disastrous appointment for us and he sucked the life out of football. As most people have said, the issue has come with us not replacing him correctly. Sacking him was the right decision as there was no way forward with him.

I'm not sure why I've wasted a chunk of my day doing it, but I had a look at our Premier League matches - most people would accept we were excellent in the League Cup, the FA Cup was a write off and the Europa League was poor save for a few bright moments - for the 16/17 season. Of course this is subjective, but my rough assessment is that we had 8 games with a good result & performance, 6 with a good result and ok performance, 4 with an ok result/performance, 8 where we didn't get a get result but the performance perhaps merited more, and 12 matches where we were poor and also had a bad result.

The naysayers will look at 20 poor results and only 8 'good' games (esp as they were usually against teams out of sorts) as evidence of a poor season, while fans of Puel will say that 8 good matches is approximately 7 more than this season, also factoring in the extra games we had to play with Europe. So perhaps we can just accept that Puel did ok with what he had to work with, is not a bad manager, but in terms of his man management and philosophy probably took us a step backwards, or at least halted our progression.

What about the trend?

The players obviously had enough of Puel’s actions, got fed up and did not perform.

Unfortunately Pellegrino didn’t have enough about him to redress these issues and it all went tïts up along with the transfer policy.

I’m sure some of the Leicester players have had a chat with ours, it’s only remains to see if those players are the ones out of the club anyway.

My money is on Emery.

Wish we had their owners to be fair. Ambitious and ruthless. We’re the complete polar opposite.

They haven't been particularly ambitious in their managerial appointments - promote the assistant, then Puel. Ranieiri worked but he wasn't a blue-chip appointment, most people thought they were mad. It certainly wasn't the equivalent of recruiting Emery for example.

Leicester have done well on player retention, that's for sure.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2018/apr/26/claude-puel-leicester-city-manager-future-uncertain

Similar piece, sounds fairly similar to views of him here.

Sacking Puel was never the mistake some of the smug kn*bs in the media made it out to be, we just royally buggered up the replacement!

Yes, Just because it was wrong to appoint Pellegrino and wrong not to sack him sooner does not mean it was wrong to sack Puel.

Those that keep on about be careful what you wish for, well I wished and and glad Puel got the sack, I didn't wish for the appointment of a ****ing clown as his replacement.

Yes, Just because it was wrong to appoint Pellegrino and wrong not to sack him sooner does not mean it was wrong to sack Puel.

Those that keep on about be careful what you wish for, well I wished and and glad Puel got the sack, I didn't wish for the appointment of a ****ing clown as his replacement.

Funny isn't it that some can't see the two aren't related? I am absolutely 100% still glad Puel has gone and nothing will ever change that. I am not really bothered about Leicester and don't wish any bad luck on him so I don't really want to see him sacked but it's pretty obvious that the faults that blighted his time with us continue now at Leicester...you would have thought he would learn, however he did seem quite arrogant so maybe it's to be expected.