Boufal 1 WBA 0 - Reactions

St Chalet

I was going to post yesterday but thought it would be wiser to calm the **** down.

When the team line up was announced, I like many others was face in hands with defeat. Not because I didn't believe we could win with that team selection, purely because it was so defensive against a side we could tear apart. It's no secret I'm a big fan of Boufal. He is everything I as a coach want children to try to be at times. He is a player who has a genuine connection with the ball - completely comfortable when in a 1v1 or overloaded - this type of player wins you games (we have plenty of these at England Youth Level coming through). Had he played in England - he would of been bollocked left, right and centre for 'fannying around' and would probably be some youtube blogger by now.

He's clearly put the hours in the gym - works a lot harder out of possession than last season and is our most direct player (direct isn't a ball into the box - unlike some of the idiotic comments I hear). Which is why I believe that tit Pellegrino doesn't rate him. Pellegrino has a very naive and broad philosophy which is ball retention for 18 yard shooting (a very common basis for Spanish coaching). This for me screams out how one dimensional he is as a coach and judging his by substitutions, how he is more reactive than proactive as a manager. The players look a lot more reserved in possession now - will look to beat their player always by passing, never any variation.

Whilst I always believe coaches also improve over time, experience etc - MoPe is evidencing nothing but a rondo facilitating coach. Would love to see our FB's touch map this season in comparison to other seasons = I'd guarantee it's more negative now.

Boufal needs to be given a free role position, we as fans need to be more open minded and tolerant of what players like Boufal do (it's an English thing in a nutshell) and he needs to be given the opportunity to gain form - this doesn't happen from the bench.

I really disliked us under Puel but finding this season even more difficult; Dave Watson's demeanour on the bench yesterday was a big give away to the situation we have in goal.

Spot on - great post.

Players like Boufal are going to be like marmite as they will give the ball away more than someone like JWP. For me, I love him, the only player in our squad who has the ability to get me off my seat when he’s on the ball, but he does need consistency if he wants to push on to the next level. Give him a run of 10 games, he cannot be any worse than Redmond who has offered us next to nothing since being here.

The question you have to ask yourself is who is more likely to win us a game? Boufal or JWP....

With Romeu and Lamina we have enough defensive cover to let Boufal play in the 10 and have a free role.

I was going to post yesterday but thought it would be wiser to calm the **** down.

When the team line up was announced, I like many others was face in hands with defeat. Not because I didn't believe we could win with that team selection, purely because it was so defensive against a side we could tear apart. It's no secret I'm a big fan of Boufal. He is everything I as a coach want children to try to be at times. He is a player who has a genuine connection with the ball - completely comfortable when in a 1v1 or overloaded - this type of player wins you games (we have plenty of these at England Youth Level coming through). Had he played in England - he would of been bollocked left, right and centre for 'fannying around' and would probably be some youtube blogger by now.

He's clearly put the hours in the gym - works a lot harder out of possession than last season and is our most direct player (direct isn't a ball into the box - unlike some of the idiotic comments I hear). Which is why I believe that tit Pellegrino doesn't rate him. Pellegrino has a very naive and broad philosophy which is ball retention for 18 yard shooting (a very common basis for Spanish coaching). This for me screams out how one dimensional he is as a coach and judging his by substitutions, how he is more reactive than proactive as a manager. The players look a lot more reserved in possession now - will look to beat their player always by passing, never any variation.

Whilst I always believe coaches also improve over time, experience etc - MoPe is evidencing nothing but a rondo facilitating coach. Would love to see our FB's touch map this season in comparison to other seasons = I'd guarantee it's more negative now.

Boufal needs to be given a free role position, we as fans need to be more open minded and tolerant of what players like Boufal do (it's an English thing in a nutshell) and he needs to be given the opportunity to gain form - this doesn't happen from the bench.

I really disliked us under Puel but finding this season even more difficult; Dave Watson's demeanour on the bench yesterday was a big give away to the situation we have in goal.

I am no coach but everything you say makes perfect sense. It may be irrational of me but I have already given up on MoPe - I think he is out of his depth. I also think Reed screwed up by dithering over keeping Puel which reduced our options for managers like Silva. I watched Watford closely yesterday and despite their 4-2 loss was far more impressed by them than anything I've seen from us this season.

Great post Monk - sums up mostly how I feel. Our set up / team allows for a "flair" player like Boufal. Yes, he will be frustrating and lose the ball more times than score but he is the surprise package to unlock "park the bus" teams. MoPe seems to (eventually) listen to fan reaction, so if he drops Boufal, we need to be vocal (at games and forums etc.) to make sure he starts. Also Lemina needs to be further up the field (just behind Boufal?).

Given our heritage with MTL - we should absolutely encourage and coach this lad to try and get even somewhere close to his achievement (remember the many so called professional idiots that criticized and avoided picking MLT as he was lazy and a luxury player!!). Not suggesting he is as good as MLT btw - just lets have some fun in how we play again.

Southampton vs West Brom @ SMS

2017/18 - 20/6 shots / on target - Won 1-0

2016/17 - 10/1 - lost 2-1 (http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/38424666)

2015/16 - 9/5 - won 3-1 (http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/35270692)

2014/15 - 9/2 - drew 0-0 (http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/28816296)

2013/14 - 18/5 - Won 1-0 (http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/25600388) - Under Poch (still less attacking)

Most attacking performance vs west brom by a long long way. And this vs a side that literally parked two banks of 5 in front of their goal for 90% of the match. Think fans need to put their frustrations aside, and actually give the new manager a chance. He is adapting and improving every week. He's moved to long and gabbi (which is far more effective), and i expect him to drop tadic soon.

Usually we'd moan that a manger doesn't change or learn, or that his subs make no impact. And yet MP is doing the opposite of both of these and still the fans moan.

And that is despite the obvious weaknesses he has accross attacking midfield, in goal, and in balancing attack and defence with this squad!

Fans need to get a grip in all honesty.

Edited by Saint86

Do you understand why the Manager is not playing him more? I don't. If it's the not physical enough; not tracking back enough argument - where does that leave Redmond, Tadic, Austin...even Ward-Prowse. None of them contribute much in those areas of the game either.

No I don’t. I thought that he showed enough coming on against Stoke to merit replacing Redmond in the starting 11. Perhaps the manager doesn’t fancy playing both Boufal and Tadic in the same line up?

Anyway, I’m just watching the game back on the PVR this morning. Saints look decent in the first half. With some better finishing from Tadic, Romeu and Long we could have been 3 up against a team that looks set to defend for a 0-0 draw. Bertrand was a bit unluckily to hit the post on his free kick as well.

No I don’t. I thought that he showed enough coming on against Stoke to merit replacing Redmond in the starting 11. Perhaps the manager doesn’t fancy playing both Boufal and Tadic in the same line up?

Anyway, I’m just watching the game back on the PVR this morning. Saints look decent in the first half. With some better finishing from Tadic, Romeu and Long we could have been 3 up against a team that looks set to defend for a 0-0 draw. Bertrand was a bit unluckily to hit the post on his free kick as well.

How did the penalty shout look? Match of the day didn't even discuss it, yet the Sunday Times report said everyone except the ref thought it was a penalty

How did the penalty shout look? Match of the day didn't even discuss it, yet the Sunday Times report said everyone except the ref thought it was a penalty

Depends which one you mean - for Tadic it looked like he made a meal of light contact on his thigh from Foster.

There was a good shout for handball against Rondon right before Romeu’s missed close-range chance, which the ref probably missed, but also Tadic was lucky not give away a penalty for handball on a W.Brom free-kick.

Goals on Sunday - featuring Rickie Lambert - thought it was a certain penalty. Foster grabbed Dusan's thigh, clearly impeding him - he did fall rather dramatically though...

I thought we were pretty decent on the front foot, without actually troubling their keeper too much...then again, we had no choice but be on the front foot with their brand of total non-football.

we cannot keep going on with the same set up of Tadic and/or Redmond.....

Boufal offered something that no one else in our team can, some direct running. Mane offered this in spades...get player running towards their own goal.

Boufals performance when coming on was exactly what we wanted to see...he was determined to make an impact...he scored a worldy, changed the flow of the game and actually played killers passed in the final 3rd...amazing really that no one else really does that...either the players are all pony or MP is killing them as an attacking force

At the mo, we are relying on set-pieces or moments of individual brilliance. MPs style (in an attacking sense) is shyte..and just hope he changes it slightly..

Deffo Boufal in for tadic in the 10 position...otherwise, what is the point?

also, has Hojberg fallen off a cliff or something?

Edited by Batman

Goals on Sunday - featuring Rickie Lambert - thought it was a certain penalty. Foster grabbed Dusan's thigh, clearly impeding him - he did fall rather dramatically though...

Agree completely that the thigh grab was a penalty but can understand that the ref didn’t see it. What annoyed me was the MOTD commentator saying “no penalty” when the camera clearly showed the offence and the studio puppets failing to mention it either.

Agree completely that the thigh grab was a penalty but can understand that the ref didn’t see it. What annoyed me was the MOTD commentator saying “no penalty” when the camera clearly showed the offence and the studio puppets failing to mention it either.

FWIW the commentators in the NBC studio did not think there was enough contact to warrant a penalty. We’ve seen them given for less, I suppose.

I can't believe so many people think it was a penalty. Just because there was 'contact' doesn't automatically mean it's a foul, such a frustrating argument. It's hard to see it for definite from the one angle I saw, but I don't believe that Foster's hand impeded Tadic from getting to the ball in any way. If it had slowed him down or unbalanced him, then there's certainly a case, but it didn't appear like that to me - rather Tadic 'felt' contact and threw himself to the ground in a ridiculous manner when he could have just carried on running with the ball. If a player did that to us (e.g. Dele Alli) we would be spitting feathers. (and btw I'm not someone who has an agenda against Tadic, I have actually always been quite a fan of his)

Edited by mrfahaji

I can't believe so many people think it was a penalty. Just because there was 'contact' doesn't automatically mean it's a foul, such a frustrating argument. It's hard to see it for definite from the one angle I saw, but I don't believe that Foster's hand impeded Tadic from getting to the ball in any way. If it had slowed him down or unbalanced him, then there's certainly a case, but it appear like that to me - rather Tadic 'felt' contact and threw himself to the ground in a ridiculous manner when he could have just carried on running with the ball. If a player did that to us (e.g. Dele Alli) we would be spitting feathers. (and btw I'm not someone who has an agenda against Tadic, I have actually always been quite a fan of his)

Quite true. Reminds me of General Melchett:

Darling: So you see, Blackadder, Field Marshal Haig is most anxious to

eliminate all these German spies.

Melchett: Filthy Hun weasels fighting their dirty underhand war!

Darling: And, fortunately, one of *our* spies--

Melchett: Splendid fellows, brave heroes, risking life and limb for Blighty!

Darling: ...has discovered that the leak is coming from the Field Hospital.

I can't believe so many people think it was a penalty. Just because there was 'contact' doesn't automatically mean it's a foul, such a frustrating argument. It's hard to see it for definite from the one angle I saw, but I don't believe that Foster's hand impeded Tadic from getting to the ball in any way. If it had slowed him down or unbalanced him, then there's certainly a case, but it appear like that to me - rather Tadic 'felt' contact and threw himself to the ground in a ridiculous manner when he could have just carried on running with the ball. If a player did that to us (e.g. Dele Alli) we would be spitting feathers. (and btw I'm not someone who has an agenda against Tadic, I have actually always been quite a fan of his)

Thanks all. So I short it was either a clear penalty, or it clear wasn't!

At the time, from the Kingsland it looked definite. Couldn't believe ref didn't give it.

Southampton vs West Brom @ SMS

2017/18 - 20/6 shots / on target - Won 1-0

2016/17 - 10/1 - lost 2-1 (http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/38424666)

2015/16 - 9/5 - won 3-1 (http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/35270692)

2014/15 - 9/2 - drew 0-0 (http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/28816296)

2013/14 - 18/5 - Won 1-0 (http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/25600388) - Under Poch (still less attacking)

Most attacking performance vs west brom by a long long way. And this vs a side that literally parked two banks of 5 in front of their goal for 90% of the match. Think fans need to put their frustrations aside, and actually give the new manager a chance. He is adapting and improving every week. He's moved to long and gabbi (which is far more effective), and i expect him to drop tadic soon.

Usually we'd moan that a manger doesn't change or learn, or that his subs make no impact. And yet MP is doing the opposite of both of these and still the fans moan.

And that is despite the obvious weaknesses he has accross attacking midfield, in goal, and in balancing attack and defence with this squad!

Fans need to get a grip in all honesty.

game in bold: what a pass that was from Ramirez that day!

BT Sports who showed the match yesterday have put up a 3 min highlights.

http://sport.bt.com/highlights-southampton-1-0-west-brom-91364222685109

Boufal goal starts at 2:11 and the commentator for BT Sports says

"LEMINA has done well to get away from Nyom........he might go all the way LEMINA......... some run still LEMINA"

It is not until the replays that he says Boufal.

I suppose one African looks like another to BT Sports

I was sat in the Kingsland almost in line with it, and everybody was up screaming for the pen. I thought it was a stone waller, but having now seen it again i can see it was a little soft and Tadic made the most of it. That said, he was pulled back, it was a pen.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

Edited by Micky

I was sat in the Kingsland almost in line with it, and everybody was up screaming for the pen. I thought it was a stone waller, but having now seen it again i can see it was a little soft and Tadic made the most of it. That said, he was pulled back, it was a pen.

A pull on Tadic's leg. Clear penalty on the replay. Unfortunately the match officials don't have the benefit of that. It must be difficult for a player to decide in a split second whether to stagger off-balance and pretend it didn't happen or go with the pull, fall to the ground and claim a penalty.

Most folks in the Chapel were not shouting for the Penalty, but at Tadic for not only running into a Cul de sac, but also being so pathetic in taking the cheap slimey option to "win" a spot kick by going down in such a weak and feeble animated fashion. Foster was floundering and for all the skill Tadic supposedly has in his feet he went for the spawny option, if he had been booked for simulation not many would have been overly surprised.

My two cents:

- Think it was a strange decision to start Romeu and Lemina against a West Brom team that are very compact and defensive. Don't think it would be a strange decision to play both against Liverpool or Man City though.

- Tadic was really good, again (imho) and not only played some great passes in behind but actually won the ball back 3-4 times by tracking back. I think he's really essential to keep in the starting line up and the defensive contribution shows he's working harder than I've seen him in the past.

- Long officially offered nothing. He has pace and wins the first ball, but his touch keeps and keeps letting him down. Really sad and don't think he should start.

- Shame about Forster dropping the ball from the corner/free kick. He isn't helping himself and I don't see why McCarthy at age 27 couldn't get a game.

- Davis was excellent today. He picked the ball up from the centre backs more than once and played some incredible 40 yd passes to switch sides. Thought his work rate was top notch and like I've said before, he provides (like Tadic) a good link between the defensive mids of Lemina+Romeu/the full backs, and the strikers/wingers up front.

All in all I don't actually think it was a big difference in terms of team performance than other results this season where we drew or lost. I think people let the result decide the quality of the performance and it shouldn't be like that. We have played well and with intent the same as today and not got the result we 'deserved'. What was missing was just that spark of genius creativity that we've been missing!

I thought it was a decent game, especially considering the conditions and it was WBA at home , looked like it would be a case of same old story missed chances and poor final ball into the box.

Great goal from Boufal, I still wouldn't play him in same side as Tadic so if any changes next week I'd drop Tadic to the bench.

The number of wallies doing sarcastic cheers for Forster making a save and booing Redmond did my head in. Support at other points was decent, very loud OWTS after we scored.

Can't believe some people thought it was a decent game. We were utterly spineless. No one has the b0ll*cks to play a pass in the final third that might result in us losing possession. On the rare occasions that a forward comes towards the ball to receive it to feet, they lay it off back to the full back first time, and then think they've done a brilliant job of linking up the play, rather than actually trying to to control the ball and turn at the oppo's defence. We were saved by a great goal from Boufal - god know what he has to do to get a start. Completely understand his reaction after scoring.

If that's Aguero or Rashford it's a penalty 9 times out of 10. We just want some consistency. There was a pull on his thigh, the degree is irrelevant. 100% stonewaller.

I'd rather we had consistency by Aguero and Rashford not getting a penalty rather than goals being handed out every time someone pretends to be fatally wounded by a passing breeze.

I think the team are suffering a Puel hangover which has not been helped by installing a manager who does not offer much of an improvement. There seems to be a general look of lethargy and frustration in our style of play with many of the players just going through the motions.

I can understand Boufals goal celebration which is obviously fueled by massive frustration and suspect most of the team would like to react in the same way.

Just like Puel, the manager is suppressing any flair or individualism by setting the side up to keep possession at all cost and will only allow it to happen in times of desperation such as the Brom game.

We have the big guns to play soon and I fear for us and I suspect our manager's reign will be under question before long.

He has to be careful Tadic now with the bans coming for after game reviews, frustration with his dive was that if he had stayed on his feet he could have laid the ball off with the keeper out of goal.

It wasn't a dive, but in the same light there wasn't enough contact for it to be a penalty (for me).

If that was reviewed, he would not get banned as there was clear contact.

We yet again played close to 600 passes and created no end product. It's not possession it's an obsession. The goals this season have come from players individual brilliance and running with the ball, Boufal, Gabbiadini with a one two with Redmond against WHU and against Newcastle. Two of the goals from runs on the break from our half. Surely that should tell the management something, somehow I think not.

It wasn't a dive, but in the same light there wasn't enough contact for it to be a penalty (for me).

If that was reviewed, he would not get banned as there was clear contact.

Surely if the contact wasn't enough for him to fall over, it's a dive? You're probably right that due to the contact, there isn't sufficient evidence of simulation, but there's little doubt in my mind that Tadic threw himself to the ground!

I think the team are suffering a Puel hangover which has not been helped by installing a manager who does not offer much of an improvement. There seems to be a general look of lethargy and frustration in our style of play with many of the players just going through the motions.

I can understand Boufals goal celebration which is obviously fueled by massive frustration and suspect most of the team would like to react in the same way.

Just like Puel, the manager is suppressing any flair or individualism by setting the side up to keep possession at all cost and will only allow it to happen in times of desperation such as the Brom game.

We have the big guns to play soon and I fear for us and I suspect our manager's reign will be under question before long.

Funnily enough, I was thinking about how under Puel, I often got the impression that we weren't playing how he envisaged us playing. He often said post-match that we didn't move the ball quickly enough. Ultimately it's still down to the manager to make it work, but there were at least times (mainly away from home) where we played with some panache and directness.

The concerning thing for me with Pellegrino is that when we do show a bit more in terms of forward runs and directness, he almost seems unhappy with it. And when we draw/lose he appears to be happy with the way we've played, even if the fans can see it wasn't a good performance.

Surely if the contact wasn't enough for him to fall over, it's a dive? You're probably right that due to the contact, there isn't sufficient evidence of simulation, but there's little doubt in my mind that Tadic threw himself to the ground!

No doubt he made the most of it, rightly or wrongly (I don't like to see that personally, but then you have to look at J-Rod at Arsenal where he was denied a blatant pen for being too honest).

My two cents:

- Think it was a strange decision to start Romeu and Lemina against a West Brom team that are very compact and defensive. Don't think it would be a strange decision to play both against Liverpool or Man City though.

- Tadic was really good, again (imho) and not only played some great passes in behind but actually won the ball back 3-4 times by tracking back. I think he's really essential to keep in the starting line up and the defensive contribution shows he's working harder than I've seen him in the past.

- Long officially offered nothing. He has pace and wins the first ball, but his touch keeps and keeps letting him down. Really sad and don't think he should start.

- Shame about Forster dropping the ball from the corner/free kick. He isn't helping himself and I don't see why McCarthy at age 27 couldn't get a game.

- Davis was excellent today. He picked the ball up from the centre backs more than once and played some incredible 40 yd passes to switch sides. Thought his work rate was top notch and like I've said before, he provides (like Tadic) a good link between the defensive mids of Lemina+Romeu/the full backs, and the strikers/wingers up front.

All in all I don't actually think it was a big difference in terms of team performance than other results this season where we drew or lost. I think people let the result decide the quality of the performance and it shouldn't be like that. We have played well and with intent the same as today and not got the result we 'deserved'. What was missing was just that spark of genius creativity that we've been missing!

Don’t think it’s strange at all - I’m of the view that you should generally play your best 11. If you want to change things, give Romeu and Lemina instructions to get forward. Both have it in their locker, even Romeu who used to make some decent forward runs when Wanyama was here.

Agree it wasn’t the right game for Long as WBA dropped deep and allowed no space behind. Still without him, we would have been very short of pace - perhaps he should have used his movement in other ways and pulled out wide more as is expected of forwards in a diamond which can suffer from narrowness at times.

No doubt he made the most of it, rightly or wrongly (I don't like to see that personally, but then you have to look at J-Rod at Arsenal where he was denied a blatant pen for being too honest).

I agree that players fall over because staying on your feet often results in not getting a free kick/penalty, that's a problem with refereeing. Even in the case where someone kicks you and it's a foul though, if you 'choose' to fall over, technically it's still a dive (obviously not to the extent that you'd be booked for it).

Very pleased for Boufal, must be infuriating knowing what you can do and not getting a chance to show it. Thought Van Dijk was very up for it this week, not that I thought he was as 'half arsed' as a lot of people suggested. Lemina superb as always.

I cannot surely be the only person who is absolutely astonished at how bad Cedric's crossing is!? Every time he pops up close to the touchline I am 99% certain that he's going to put it straight out of play. I don't understand how it is possible for a modern day fullback to be so poor at hitting a ball in a straight line into the penalty area. Whilst Cedric is a decent defender, is Pied not decent enough to have a go and perhaps add a more accurate delivery?

Great post about Boufal. If MLT was at SFC now as an 18 year old, he'd struggle to make the bench under the current regime - crazy but true. To see goals like that now and again are a joy and what we spend the money on watching football for. I'd build a side around him, Gabbiadini (the other player we have who can do the unpredictable - if his team-mates can ever pick up on it) and Lemina and the rest can work around them.

I missed the Watson thing though - was he getting frustrated with Fraser messing up even the tiny amount he had to on Sat?

Very pleased for Boufal, must be infuriating knowing what you can do and not getting a chance to show it. Thought Van Dijk was very up for it this week, not that I thought he was as 'half arsed' as a lot of people suggested. Lemina superb as always.

I cannot surely be the only person who is absolutely astonished at how bad Cedric's crossing is!? Every time he pops up close to the touchline I am 99% certain that he's going to put it straight out of play. I don't understand how it is possible for a modern day fullback to be so poor at hitting a ball in a straight line into the penalty area. Whilst Cedric is a decent defender, is Pied not decent enough to have a go and perhaps add a more accurate delivery?

I thought both VVD and Bertrand were better, suspected VVD's first two displays were rust rather than anything else but his conduct means he is unlikely to get the benefit of the doubt. Ryan was overlapping at last and unlucky with the FK.

Cedric needs some one-to-one work on crossing and his delivery. He can put some good crosses in at times but inconsistent. Funnily enough, although he was an awful RB, Martina's crossing was his strong suit. Cedric is doing more than enough by contrast to hold down a place but it is beyond belief that he was being touted for Chelsea in the summer. No chance, not unless his distribution improves 1000%. Still Giggs had to crack this issue, his final ball early on for Man U let him down frequently, so Cedric is not alone.

My two cents:

I don't understand your first point. It's not strange at all unless you would play with literally one central midfielder which hardly any team has done, ever. Unless you think Davis is better than those two?

Great winner from Boufs! He seems to specialise in scoring winning wonder goals against North East teams to win 1-0 at home.

We need Sun'lun and Boro back in the PL!

West Brom is significantly closer to Southampton than it is to the North East.

A pull on Tadic's leg. Clear penalty on the replay. Unfortunately the match officials don't have the benefit of that. It must be difficult for a player to decide in a split second whether to stagger off-balance and pretend it didn't happen or go with the pull, fall to the ground and claim a penalty.

No I don't agree. It shouldn't be a decision. If the contact make a you fall over, you fall over. If it doesn't you stay on your feet and try to get the ball back and hope the ref has spotted any foul. I know that the modern game brings enormous pressure to exaggerate the impact of the slightest touch in the box and I know I'm being overly simplistic and idealistic. But this "he's entitled to go down" attitude is awful. I hate it when opposition players do it to us and I hate it when our players do it as well.