Boufal 1 WBA 0 - Reactions

St Chalet

Very special goal to brighten 85 minutes of hard work.

Listening to MP on Solent was a tad concerning, Adam Blackmore was pushing him to comment on Boufals goal, he dodged Round the question. What he did say was a tad concerning in alluding that Nathan Redmond is a better option ahead of Boufal as he offers much more. I don't get it!, Redmond is predictable Boufal is the opposite, surely un-predictability is what you need in a side. Le Tissier was unpredictable and having that element in the side is what kept us in the top flight longer than we otherwise would have been. (I am not for one moment suggesting Boufal is the new Messiah).

MP seems very stubborn. Once he's made an initial assessment of you then that's it. Guys like Boufal, Austin, and JWP have been heaped into the "if I need goals late" category, and guys like Redmond and Tadic can do whatever they want and stay out there. You would think that since every game we can't score, and then he throws the Boufal/Austin/sometimes JWP team out there in desperation and gets chances suddenly, he would rethink his positioning. However he doesn't, and its worrisome.

He didn't seem impressed after the match. Not sure the two see eye to eye but hopefully can remain professional.

Rightly so. I've wanted Boufal to start ahead of Redmond for weeks/months, but found the celebration completely classless. Wouldn't be surprised to see a manager drop a player for that sort of nonsense.

Good home win, and still fans ****ing and moaning.

What did people expect against a west Brom team which came only to park the bus? We are not man city, and have to say we clearly have some very ungrateful fans that would still rather slag off the team and manager than give credit for a win?!?!

Sure signs of progress, great performances from Yoshi, Davis, gabbiadini, Bertrand and Boufal. Then good from the rest bar maybe Cedric, Tadic and Forster, who were all pretty average (or shaky).

Manager showing that he recognised the issues, trying new tactics to work it, and using subs well to change it up. Promising signs, and a great win and goal!

COYS!

Rightly so. I've wanted Boufal to start ahead of Redmond for weeks/months, but found the celebration completely classless. Wouldn't be surprised to see a manager drop a player for that sort of nonsense.

Give him a break, the boy has ability, if you were working somewhere and someone you, and others, know ain't as good as you is getting the breaks and the nod ahead of you, then you are going to be pretty hacked off. He's a young man good to see some passion from him

Give him a break, the boy has ability, if you were working somewhere and someone you, and others, know ain't as good as you is getting the breaks and the nod ahead of you, then you are going to be pretty hacked off. He's a young man good to see some passion from him

Passion would be celebrating with your team mates. Scoring and immediately running to your manager to flip the bird/publicly reprimand him is nothing but unprofessional (to me).

Doñt think we played two defensive mids at all Davis and lemina were both playing with more freedom with Romeu holding, from where I sit it looked loads better.

Agree, the midfield was excellent yesterday, and Romeu had his best game of the season - the combination of he and Lemina are so effectice defensively and in breaking up play that it frees up Lemina to be more adventurous, especially against the non top 6 sides. Even Romeu showed he is willing and capable of driving forward into attacking areas - this freed up Davis to play with freedom and a linking role. So much better than pre-Lemina days.

Passion would be celebrating with your team mates. Scoring and immediately running to your manager to flip the bird/publicly reprimand him is nothing but unprofessional (to me).

His frustration is understandable but I agree with you. Especially when he's just scored his first goal in almost a year.

Still, if he scores a few more like that, he can drop his shorts and wave his todger in MP's face for all I care.

Quick shout out to Van Dijk today. Bellend or not he won virtually every dual, but the afterburners on a couple of times and looked like he's getting back to his best.

Yep, both he and Bertrand were switched on today and gave lie to the claims that they aren't giving their best - Bertrand was top shelf today and Van Diik was back to his best.

Along with Boufal, I think Austin needs more game time, I hope people who call Austin slow saw him chase down Foster, cos he did not look like someone who was slow to me. He'll score goals and must be massively frustrated watching Long and Tadic miss chance after chance.

Yep, both he and Bertrand were switched on today and gave lie to the claims that they aren't giving their best - Bertrand was top shelf today and Van Diik was back to his best.

The formation let Bertrand attack without Redmond in front of him, though WBA’s best chance came from laziness by Bertrand which played Jrod onside and gave him a one-on-one with the keeper.

Agree, the midfield was excellent yesterday, and Romeu had his best game of the season - the combination of he and Lemina are so effectice defensively and in breaking up play that it frees up Lemina to be more adventurous, especially against the non top 6 sides. Even Romeu showed he is willing and capable of driving forward into attacking areas - this freed up Davis to play with freedom and a linking role. So much better than pre-Lemina days.

Agree, we were crying out for someone to play alongside Romeu and now we have someone people think Oriol can do it on his own again!

The good thing about Lemina is that is excellent as a DM but also capable pushing forward so can adjust his position according to how the game is going.

Interesting to see the praise for VVD on here. I thought he was perfectly okay, but that Maya was a bit better. What did I miss?

You didn't miss anything. Yoshida was once again very good, it's just that many were saying Van Diik couldn't be assed and wasn't pushing himself so his performance, which was like the player pre-injury/tantrum, stood out as committed and excellent.

Boufal is everything the UEFA Coaching manual advocates despise. He takes players on, does not value possession and shoots from the wrong places. Which is exactly why he should start every game from now on, and probably exactly why he will be back on the bench next week under Pellegrino.

Spot on, sir. Plus Redmond is also better tracking back.

Those are the reasons why he was picked ahead of Boufal.

But after today Pellegrino will have to make room for him, as a winger or a number 10. I don't think he is a stubborn person. He will.

Boufal is everything the UEFA Coaching manual advocates despise. He takes players on, does not value possession and shoots from the wrong places. Which is exactly why he should start every game from now on, and probably exactly why he will be back on the bench next week under Pellegrino.

This. And even if he does start next week it will probably be in a wide role rather than central. The team should be being built around him

Edited by Verbal Kint

In case anyone wants to see it again:

https://www.ngolos.com/videos/2017-10-21-southampton-wba

Yes I do. Many times. I was offline for much of Saturday so re-emerging this afternoon with this beauty waiting for me, was fantastic.

I’m a little torn by his celebration. I appreciate his passion and he probably does not understand why the manager is not putting him in the starting lineup, but I can’t say I liked it.

He must start the next game, surely?

Along with Boufal, I think Austin needs more game time, I hope people who call Austin slow saw him chase down Foster, cos he did not look like someone who was slow to me. He'll score goals and must be massively frustrated watching Long and Tadic miss chance after chance.

Watch him run during Boufal's goal. Ran 60m and ended up drawing 2 defenders at the end to give Boufal the 1on1.

Yes I do. Many times. I was offline for much of Saturday so re-emerging this afternoon with this beauty waiting for me, was fantastic.

I’m a little torn by his celebration. I appreciate his passion and he probably does not understand why the manager is not putting him in the starting lineup, but I can’t say I liked it.

He must start the next game, surely?

Do you understand why the Manager is not playing him more? I don't. If it's the not physical enough; not tracking back enough argument - where does that leave Redmond, Tadic, Austin...even Ward-Prowse. None of them contribute much in those areas of the game either.

Good match to watch despite usual worries (ie Forster and slow play in final third) Gabbi must get fed up making those runs into space and being ignored and Davis not releasing the ball around the box until too late etc. Tadic also guilty and failed to win a penalty , looked like Foster got a hand on his leg but his dive was unconvincing plus I think Refs are unlikely to give him benifit of the doubt !

Well done Yoshi , quietly getting on with the job and forcing a save from Foster.

Main complaint is the volume of the pre match "music" which despite blocking my ears could be felt through my bones , we were in row YY and that may be why but I'm sure it exceeded all health limits and this from someone who worked in power stations for over 30 years !!! It also went on too long and intruded on the kick off.

Big sigh of relief for Pellegrino.

Scraped a win against a dismal opposition.

The fantastic goal will steal the headlines and keep most dissenters quiet.

Reed will be pleased.

Doesn’t disguise the fact we are still terrible and a shadow of our former selves.

A result to paper over the cracks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Much easier when you've been on only a few mins against an opposition that has played nearly 90mins.

Absolutely. For those who want to see the team packed with strikers from the kick-off. Pelligrino has made the point that you can use subs to play differently as the opposition tires through the game.

Tadic? What was that dive all about? He should have been booked for cheating. I seriously don't think he merits to be in the starting eleven. All these hand waving gestures are so pitiful.

Foster had hold of his thigh and pulled him back. Clear penalty.

Redmond made a good impact off the bench. I know he’s everyone’s favourite firgure of hate but I Guess there always has to be someone.

Yes, I agree. The morons who booed him coming on are an embarrassment to the club. We have several players who I don't particularly rate but I can't understand the mentality of abusing your own players.

Interesting to see the praise for VVD on here. I thought he was perfectly okay, but that Maya was a bit better. What did I miss?

For me it was the way he carried the all out from the back and had an air of authority with the ball in front of him. He is clearly a top class player and would look even better in a 'top' side ... just hope to christ it's for big bucks and anyone but the scouse mob.

The guy is still a bit of a knob though, Maya has been our most consistent CB for some time (who'd have ever thought that?!?) and I feel that Stephens lost his place through no real fault of his own.

Nothing. But my point was that some people were questioning his application in his previous matches. I think he was just a bit rusty but yesterday was looking more like his best.

Good home win, and still fans ****ing and moaning.

What did people expect against a west Brom team which came only to park the bus? We are not man city, and have to say we clearly have some very ungrateful fans that would still rather slag off the team and manager than give credit for a win?!?!

Sure signs of progress, great performances from Yoshi, Davis, gabbiadini, Bertrand and Boufal. Then good from the rest bar maybe Cedric, Tadic and Forster, who were all pretty average (or shaky).

Manager showing that he recognised the issues, trying new tactics to work it, and using subs well to change it up. Promising signs, and a great win and goal!

COYS!

A sensible post amongst the usual claptrap

It was the same old **** before Boufal's introduction. West Brom just sat back knowing we had no chance of scoring until then. I thought we put a bit more effort in than in the last few games though; Lemina needs to be given a licence to push forward and should take up Davis' position.

Next game front 6 really should be Rom, Lemina, Boufal, Tadic, Gabbiadini and Austin. Almost as if MP is afraid in case we actually score too many goals. We saw again last night that our defence (minus Forster) is comfortable in games like this.

Tough game next week against Brighton but i think they will come at us which will play into our hands.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Very happy with the win a win at home is like gold dust these days but let's not pretend this was anything other than an individual piece of skill that got us out of jail! Up until then it was the same old saints & we were heading for a bore draw or worse (Forster say no more) good possession & doing jack all with it, happy with the win but let's not pretend this was a major major improvement, it wasn't

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Funny, I thought Brom played just like we did but with poorer players and added a bit of time wasting into the mix.

Boufal needs to start central and given a run of games. The talk about him not tracking back is rubbish...ask where he started his run from before scoring - half way inside our half winning the ball. He is more physical than many make out. The only issue he has is lack of experience which means he makes wrong choices sometimes but without game time he’ll not learn. He is a far better prospect than Redmond, but Redmond is English and Les needs to show his mates in the FA that he can produce top English talent.

Fraser poor again. Lemina is excellent. Romeu worked well too. Long flatters to deceive. Austin has heart but is finished at this level. Gabbi needs more service. Generally we need a new top class striker.

You couldn't be any further from the truth.. read my next post.

Long was picked on the right wing but drifted into the box almost immediately and stayed there which effectively took Cedric out of the game as well and Pellegrino just stood and watched everything funnelled to the left side and Bertrand / Tadic time after time after time. So easy to predict and defend against that it was laughable. Long is not a box player, we need him running to the bye line or don't bother playing him.

As for Sofiane Boufal, who doesn't like him behind the scenes? Redmond on before him???????????? You couldn't make it up. FO Pellegrino!

I was going to post yesterday but thought it would be wiser to calm the **** down.

When the team line up was announced, I like many others was face in hands with defeat. Not because I didn't believe we could win with that team selection, purely because it was so defensive against a side we could tear apart. It's no secret I'm a big fan of Boufal. He is everything I as a coach want children to try to be at times. He is a player who has a genuine connection with the ball - completely comfortable when in a 1v1 or overloaded - this type of player wins you games (we have plenty of these at England Youth Level coming through). Had he played in England - he would of been bollocked left, right and centre for 'fannying around' and would probably be some youtube blogger by now.

He's clearly put the hours in the gym - works a lot harder out of possession than last season and is our most direct player (direct isn't a ball into the box - unlike some of the idiotic comments I hear). Which is why I believe that tit Pellegrino doesn't rate him. Pellegrino has a very naive and broad philosophy which is ball retention for 18 yard shooting (a very common basis for Spanish coaching). This for me screams out how one dimensional he is as a coach and judging his by substitutions, how he is more reactive than proactive as a manager. The players look a lot more reserved in possession now - will look to beat their player always by passing, never any variation.

Whilst I always believe coaches also improve over time, experience etc - MoPe is evidencing nothing but a rondo facilitating coach. Would love to see our FB's touch map this season in comparison to other seasons = I'd guarantee it's more negative now.

Boufal needs to be given a free role position, we as fans need to be more open minded and tolerant of what players like Boufal do (it's an English thing in a nutshell) and he needs to be given the opportunity to gain form - this doesn't happen from the bench.

I really disliked us under Puel but finding this season even more difficult; Dave Watson's demeanour on the bench yesterday was a big give away to the situation we have in goal.

Edited by Monk