Boufal 1 WBA 0 - Reactions

St Chalet

Boufal rightly p***** at MP - should have played from the start. No doubt he won't start next game............

Long is done and should be sold asap - absolute disaster.

Boufal doing what not one other player in our side can do - attack at pace and not pass sideways or out wide for a pathetic cross to come in.

You have to question why Boufal didn't start after last week anyway, but then how Redmond got on the pitch before him.

We also do not need two defensive mids at home, unless we are playing like Man City.

Overall the performance was sharper I thought, we tried to be quicker, we worked hard to get the ball back.

Also West Brom are boring as f*ck, no intention of trying to win the game at all.

Might be fun to go back and reread the build up thread.

Much better overall, more positive attitude, movement, and even some genuine attempts on goal ! A worldy finish that would embellish any game, but FF is close to being a liability, ( Oh for a competent alternative ).

I would give the team that ended the game a run now. It may not be as "pacy" as some of you like, but pace doesn't score goals for us. This team with Boufal, Gabbi, and Austin in has our most potent, direct attacking players. I'm sick of this passing it around, watching Long do nothing, just going for a 0-0 draw team. Lets be more direct and put more pressure on the defense.

If Pellegrino drops Boufal back to the bench now, he should be lined up against a wall and shot.

Worthy winners in the end as WBA had nothing in attack. They defend competently, and usually that's all a team needs to do to get a point or more off us these days, but finally we managed to magic up a bit of quality from somewhere.

A gritty performance because we knew that any Pulis side would set themselves up ultra defensively, so there was so little room for our forward players to operate in the first half, but then WBA changed their shape a little and the 2nd half was more open. We stuck to our guns and kept persisting and for once it paid off.

Still got massive concerns about Forster though. Not tested at all today (only had to make one save that I remember), but somehow manages to make very hard work of the easy stuff. His parry back to the striker last week cost us, and it's juts lucky that his dropping the ball right back in the mixer wasn't punished today when it was still 0-0.

Good to see VVD looking much more like his old self again today. He had Rondon in his pocket all afternoon and won a lot of defensive headers. Got forward well too and hit a thunderbolt shot just off target. Much better than anything any of our AMs could manage.

BT Sport gave MOTM to Boufal for obvious reasons, but I'm going to say Lemina for me. Was everywhere and got stuck in.

Just seen the replay of Boufal running over to MP after the goal, not sure he'll be happy with that. It show's passion but bit of disrespect too..

Having said that, what a great goal and three important points!

Why would he not be happy? He's proved the manager wrong and shown his value in the process. It's a fantastic reaction imo.

Just seen the replay of Boufal running over to MP after the goal, not sure he'll be happy with that. It show's passion but bit of disrespect too..

Having said that, what a great goal and three important points!

Definitely shouting "pick me!" Right in Pelligrinos face.

Sent from my SM-J330FN using Tapatalk

Southampton goalscorer Sofiane Boufal on BT Sport: "My first Premier League goal of this season, yes, it's very special - the most important thing is we take three points - more important than my goal.

"I scored one in France I remember, but I am so happy with this goal. I am so hungry. The most important thing is to show the manager on the pitch I can play with this team."

Says it all

Merrington on Solent , said playing in the hole. Is the perfect position for Boufal. He is wasted on the either wing, as some have stated on here. BOUFAL IN THE HOLE from now on plz MP...

No doubt; central attacking is his best spot; he actually has a good eye for threading a pass, as well as the running trickery. Boufal will frustrate at times, but it's a different frustration than that you get from Tadic, Redmond, Long - he's got that flair and lack of fear to produce something, he doesn't dither and bottle it like Tadic and Redmond do so often. Overall, Saints made all the running and an 0-0 would have been so frustrating. Thought our only poor players were Cedric, Tadic and Long, although Forster once again looked very shaky.

Good games from Lemina, Bertrand, Romeu; both centre backs and Gabbiadini did well with his movement and touch. An improved perfrmance against a negative, spoiling opponent.

I don't think the manager could have done anymore today (perhaps bring on Boufal before Redmond) WBA deserved nothing from this game. I don't know why we don't shoot more from outside the box (we seem to practice that at Staplewood). I still can't see us beating a top 6 team so really need to win the next two games.

Merrington on Solent , said playing in the hole. Is the perfect position for Boufal. He is wasted on the either wing, as some have stated on here. BOUFAL IN THE HOLE from now on plz MP...

well it’s oretty obvious I would have thought. If you play him put him where he will hurt teams and that’s through the middle. Now whether MP and EB can see that is another matter.

Play romeu or lemina not both. Boufal instead of romeu for now should improve things.

Think it's horses for courses, I would start them both at Liverpool and City away, but games like today and last week they're not both needed.

We played some good positive stuff in the first half and fashioned some decent chances, just a shame that we didn't have a real finisher on the pitch to end the moves. Still it was at least positive. 2nd half we flagged but never really looked in trouble.

- Use the wings more, I want to see Bertrand and Cedric bombing up those wings

- Speed up, far too pedestrian and gave West Brom lots of time to organise, less tippy tappy and more direct balls forward

- VVD had a good game, looks like the rust is falling off

- We are crying out for a finisher - Long needs to be swapped for Austin. A match fit Charlie would have got one or two tonight (given a proper run) IMO. What he lacks in running he tends to make up in intelligent positioning.

- Boufal needs to be picked, he has some magic about him and scored a fantastic goal. Redmond on the bench. Totally understand Boufal's reaction, he's frustrated (like the rest of us).

This manager is pretty clueless, the last two games he's been dug out via individual brilliance rather than good team play. Without Austin we have no end product.

It's a win though and I'll take that.

Finally I'm glad I'm not a West Brom fan - they were a joke, total anti-football. Had they played with positivity they could have won it. Someone needs to tell Pulis that football is supposed to be entertainment. Felt sorry for their travelling support.

Brilliant goal gets us a much needed win. Diamond formation suits Tadic (and Boufal) but does lack width. Nice to see Pellegrino try something else though.

VVD excellent and Bertrand much more like his usual self.

We still don't test the opposition keeper nesrly enough though and one worldie goal doesn't change that.

Re Boufal - he has made an impact in his last 3 subs apps and deserves a run of starts now. Like how he turns on the ball instead of just passing it back to where it came from.

Only disappointments for me were WBA time wasting and Shane Long who again showed the sort of touch I saw on Wednesday at Lewes vs Corinthian Casuals. Has had a decent run now and hasn't got close to a goal or even a decent shot.