Boufal 1 WBA 0 - Reactions

St Chalet

Decent first half, poor second half and hardly worked the keeper.

One worldie shouldn’t obscure the fact that there are still big issues. Much tougher games to come.

Still what a brilliant goal.

Exactly this. I think we've scored goals in our last two games in spite of our setup, not because of it. Obviously I want us to get as many points as possible but I do worry a little that these results somehow vindicate our tactics.

I know that the goal was a once in a blue moon type (though he nearly scored one like that vs Brentford I think?), but it remains the case that Boufal is the only player who can create something on his own, and also seems to be the only player who actually wants to run forward with the ball.

Just back from the game. That was so much better than last week. We were positive going forward and attacked with purpose. At times we had all our outfield players in their half, bar Yoshida. It's difficult to say what was different. Is it as simple as not having Redmond stopping play when we get into an attacking position?

I thought almost all of our players had a good game today. I see some have criticized Long but as well as creating a few chances he did some great tackling back. The goal was, of course, superb and Hours I deserves a start. Forster made a good save but he made it very obvious why he's normally reluctant to leave his line. Today he did leave it and lost the ball both times. How bad is McCarthy if he's not getting a game?

But it does feel good to win at home.

Just back from the game. That was so much better than last week. We were positive going forward and attacked with purpose. At times we had all our outfield players in their half, bar Yoshida. It's difficult to say what was different. Is it as simple as not having Redmond stopping play when we get into an attacking position?

I thought almost all of our players had a good game today. I see some have criticized Long but as well as creating a few chances he did some great tackling back. The goal was, of course, superb and Hours I deserves a start. Forster made a good save but he made it very obvious why he's normally reluctant to leave his line. Today he did leave it and lost the ball both times. How bad is McCarthy if he's not getting a game?

But it does feel good to win at home.

Boufal not Hours. Bloody auto-correct.

Predicted a dull 0-0 and had it not been for a moment of brilliance, I would have been spot on. However, that was much, of not all, to do with how WBA set up (can you honestly imagine paying to watch them week in week out?).

Much better today, we moved the ball quicker, looked more of a threat and controlled the game. Had WBA wanted to leave their half, we’d have scored more.

Lamina class, again. Thought the 2 up top worked well and hard for each other although I’d like to see Austin with Gabbi as I find Long and Gabbi slightly too similar. Boufal showing us what he can do, hopefully he builds on that.

Unfortuntely it has to be said that Forster looked poor again, surely he’ll be dropped soon?

For me, Boufal has to start ahead of Tadic next week. 2 weeks in a row he’s changed the game for us.

Controlled the game throughout, restricted West Brom to scraps, but for a while there it looked like they were going to get the 0-0 draw they came here for.

Then that was blown apart by quite simply a sensational goal. Close to a perfect individual goal.

Although there were problems with this formation, in the sense that we didn't have enough wide options and the middle of the pitch was congested, the benefit of it was that when we did get wide, it was invariably the full backs making the runs, and because they are playing on the 'correct' side, they actually get behind the defence. As soon as you put Tadic and Redmond in front of them, half the time (at least) the ball ends up with them, who cut inside, slow it down and eventually pass sideways or loft ball in the air towards a defender's head.

Having said that, I think it was an improvement on Sunday, where we weren't able to offer a central threat AT ALL during the game, and it does at least seem like Pellegrino is trying different things to get it to work. It bugs me that we have two players stood up front not doing a great deal (I thought Gabbiadini was better than on Sunday actually), it would have helped tremendously if one of them were to pull wide to offer an out ball when we're dallying with it at CM.

I've also realised why we should be starting Redmond - so that we can't bring him on as the 'game changer'! :p Once again, it's not necessarily the specific things he does which are bad (although there were a couple today), but rather his general play, and his first thought always to play backwards that annoys me. But then maybe that's the manager's fault for playing him on the left...

Tadic's decision to fall over when he could have got the ball for another chance was despicable. It's one thing (not acceptable, but understandable) to try and win a penalty when the ball is gone or the move is dead, but not when something is still on. Awful mentality.

WBA were crap and at times we weren't really much better. We did better because we have better players than them but it was quite disorganised and predominantly dull as anything. Can see why Boufal got the man of the match award because his goal was good and his pass for Austin likewise. Was nice to see Austin sprint for the ball and show those who think he's slow that he isn't. Couldn't understand quite why Redmond kept falling over with his centre of gravity. I was concerned to see Eric Black seeming to be the master tactician. I do wonder if by default, bit by bit, Pellegrino will end up finding out what system and players to play and we'll have more entertaining games and plenty more wins. Liked Boufal's celebration. He has done similar before if you look at some of his previous games in France but yes, we should play him in the middle, drop Tadic who seemed more interested in flopping for a penalty or slowing it all down again and probably play an interesting front 4 of:

Long Boufal Gabbiadini

Austin

When will that effing idiot of a manger of ours realise we have a genius in Sofiane Boufal but sadly a genius we are bound to lose simply because he is getting more ****ed off very week. When the team was announced today without Boufal after everything he did against Newcastle there were some seriously angry fans calling Pellegrino every name you can imagine.

No doubt he won't be picked at all now after he stuck a big one up Pellegrino's nostrils during his celebratory run. Still those who saw that goal will have a lifetime memory.

Tadic? What was that dive all about? He should have been booked for cheating. I seriously don't think he merits to be in the starting eleven. All these hand waving gestures are so pitiful.

Maybe you should start a new thread about it.

I still think he's better than Redmond, but that dive and his reluctance to take a shot on first time are certainly pushing my patience.

I didn't like his celebration at all - players have no respect for managers and whether MP is right or wrong to not pick him he shouldn't be reacting like that to the manager. All this "shows his passion" rubbish - no different to pundits justifying the terrible behaviour of players through crazy tackles or pushing and shoving the opposition as "showing their frustration/hunger". It's petulance, nothing more. Great goal, but infantile reaction.

As long as there wasen't any cursing I don't think Pellegrino will be mad at him. It's an understandable reaction from a frustrated player. He has a case. He was good last game and deserved to start. May have been a victim of the no-wingers system Pellegrino layed out today.

Here is the magical goal called by a moroccan commentator. He is elated. As was I when I to the ground to celebrate. That's football!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y5HjF5dX0Gw&app=desktop

A deserved win and what a goal to win it. But we were 5 mins away from a 0-0 against possibly the worst team I’ve seen at st marys for a long time. We now have to push on and put a few decent results together. Happy with that though.

Pulis is a bloody disgrace. Whatever club he’s at you know exactly what you are gonna get from them away from home.

I suppose his record suggests he’s done a good job over the years but his style of play and tactics are not for me.

The only thing I'd say is that I didn't find West Brom particularly dirty or, apart from a bit of time wasting (which I didn't notice that much tbh), I don't recall much 'cheating'. I don't remember it much from his Stoke team either, even though they are of course both physical teams.

Compare that to a games against Allardyce's West Ham or Sunderland, or some recent matches against Mark Hughes' Stoke. They were pulling every trick in the book - kicking people, diving, surrounded the ref, time wasting etc.

I would not by any stretch want to be a West Brom fan, and I feel sorry for them, but as the opposition you don't have a right to complain about a team coming for a 0-0. It's up to us to break them down, and if they're not going to bother to attack, maybe we should be glad that we haven't got to worry about planning for that part of the game...!

I didn't like his celebration at all - players have no respect for managers and whether MP is right or wrong to not pick him he shouldn't be reacting like that to the manager. All this "shows his passion" rubbish - no different to pundits justifying the terrible behaviour of players through crazy tackles or pushing and shoving the opposition as "showing their frustration/hunger". It's petulance, nothing more. Great goal, but infantile reaction.

He saved the managers job with that. The manager is the one the one who needs to improve.

Quick shout out to Van Dijk today. Bellend or not he won virtually every dual, but the afterburners on a couple of times and looked like he's getting back to his best.

Agree. There's a fair few in the Northam that still insist on boo-ing his every touch. Not quite sure what they're trying to achieve.

IMHO

Forster - 5. Made a decent regulation save from a Chadli shot, but fumbled a couple of crosses badly and looked anything but secure.

Cedric - 6. I feel like I've seen Cedric play the exact same game 50 times. Reasonably solid in defence? Check. Get into some good crossing positions? Check. Either shank every cross into the crowd or hit the first man? Check. Speculative 30 yard shot miles wide? Check.

Yoshida - 6. Solid, didn't have much to do.

Van Dijk - 7. Looked far more engaged today than he has since his reintroduction into civilised society.

Bertrand - 7. Made more overlapping runs in one game than he has all season, for club and country combined.

Romeu - 6. I don't think he's been particularly great so far this season, and finding himself often having to be the one to try and pick a pass through a packed defence was a bit beyond his limitations.

Lemina - 8. Really is a quality all-round midfielder. Even if it is literally impossible to tell him (white hair) apart from Boufal (black hair)...

Davis - 6. He is what he is: tidy, diligent, inoffensive and never in any danger of delivering the killer pass that opens up an opponent.

Tadic - 6. Was he always this hesitant? Can't remember the last occasion when he actually made a pass or took a shot first time. Too many touches and then the chance is gone. Worked hard, though.

Gabbiadini - 6. Great run to set up Long, but another game where he'll be left wondering when his teammates are going to create something for him.

Long - 4. Pointless selection. Against a team defending so deep as to leave no space in behind, why would you pick a player down the middle whose only meaningful attribute is running into space behind? It meant he had to try and get involved in the build up play, which his embarrassing lack of technical ability couldn't cope with. Missed his one clear chance, naturally.

Subs:

Redmond - 7. Thought he did well. Was far more proactive than usual, receiving the ball on the half turn and driving forward. A marked contrast with the timid, buck-passing performances he's been giving for months.

Boufal - 8. He's only scored three goals for us, and they've all been top banana. I thought he last few sub appearances had shown promise - and far more hunger than we'd previously seen - and expected him to start. Maybe he'll get a start next week...

Austin - 6. Impossible chance at the end there. Beard's coming along well with winter on the horizon.

It was a weird performance. Is spite of all the pre-match talk of playing quicker, we were still slow and ponderous in the first half. It was only after the break that we really got on the front foot.

Tactically it was a strange set up. All the space was on the wings, but we didn't have any width at all. I'm not sure this match will act as a blueprint for how Pellegrino wants us to play, but a win's a win and very welcome - four points above the relegation zone now.

Relief rather than joy. But that's only to be expected having had to endure 95 minutes of depressing Pulis-ball.

Sent from my F3311 using Tapatalk

Play romeu or lemina not both. Boufal instead of romeu for now should improve things.

Doñt think we played two defensive mids at all Davis and lemina were both playing with more freedom with Romeu holding, from where I sit it looked loads better.

Predicted a dull 0-0 and had it not been for a moment of brilliance, I would have been spot on. However, that was much, of not all, to do with how WBA set up (can you honestly imagine paying to watch them week in week out?).

Much better today, we moved the ball quicker, looked more of a threat and controlled the game. Had WBA wanted to leave their half, we’d have scored more.

Lamina class, again. Thought the 2 up top worked well and hard for each other although I’d like to see Austin with Gabbi as I find Long and Gabbi slightly too similar. Boufal showing us what he can do, hopefully he builds on that.

Unfortuntely it has to be said that Forster looked poor again, surely he’ll be dropped soon?

For me, Boufal has to start ahead of Tadic next week. 2 weeks in a row he’s changed the game for us.

The game wasn't dull. West Brom were though.

Pretty ordinary performance until an absolutely brilliant goal won the game. Still worries , Forster shocking.

Lemina head and shoulders above anyone else on the pitch. I've always maintained Morgan was over rated on here , Lemina is in a different league than him . It would even be a toss up between him & Big Vic who I'd prefer to play in our midfield. ****ing proper player

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I thought that, contrary to some, we played with more energy in attacking positions and the decision to drop Redmond was a good one. However all three of us en route to the ground were surprised that we didn't start with Boufal as he has been excellent when coming on as sub. I didn't expect him to score necessarily, but he makes things happen a la the one-two with Long last week that earned the penalty.

It was a wonderful goal out of the Matt le Tiss category. Generally I thought we looked very solid defensively and in midfield. The one aspect of play that just does not work for us are the high crosses, generally of good quality, but we have no one capable of heading a goal unless our centre backs are upfront!

Finally, I hope MP does not get too offended by Boufal's show of emotion. If I were him I would use it as a positive incentive, say "yes you are right, I am wrong, so start at Brighton and show me all over again".

It was a weird performance. Is spite of all the pre-match talk of playing quicker, we were still slow and ponderous in the first half. It was only after the break that we really got on the front foot.

Tactically it was a strange set up. All the space was on the wings, but we didn't have any width at all. I'm not sure this match will act as a blueprint for how Pellegrino wants us to play, but a win's a win and very welcome - four points above the relegation zone now.

Relief rather than joy. But that's only to be expected having had to endure 95 minutes of depressing Pulis-ball.

Sent from my F3311 using Tapatalk

Generally agree with your player assessment, though I actually think in the first half Romeu was as good if not better than Lemina. I also didn't see Redmond playing on the turn, he still frustrated me immensely.

I don't share your assessment that we were more on the front foot after the break. Maybe for a short period, but overall I thought we were poorer in the second half, with few positives until Boufal's moment of magic.

Also, while you're not wrong about the space out wide, surely the reason why there was so much space was exactly because we weren't playing anyone there...? It was basically the opposite approach of the Newcastle game, where we played everything through the wings, which meant there was more space between CM & CF, but no-one there linking the lines.

I think Pellegrino is trying different formations in the hope it will all click. I don't think it will with 2 players up front unless we change the style of play (rather than formations) though. We either need to commit midfield runners into and past the forwards with a short, quick passing game or we need to get players in behind and whip ball across the face of goal for the 2 strikers to get on the end of and generally cause havoc in the box. But we don't do either of those things, which means we're left with two players not really contributing much over the course of a game.

Finally, I hope MP does not get too offended by Boufal's show of emotion. If I were him I would use it as a positive incentive, say "yes you are right, I am wrong, so start at Brighton and show me all over again".

He didn't seem impressed after the match. Not sure the two see eye to eye but hopefully can remain professional.

I thought that, contrary to some, we played with more energy in attacking positions and the decision to drop Redmond was a good one. However all three of us en route to the ground were surprised that we didn't start with Boufal as he has been excellent when coming on as sub. I didn't expect him to score necessarily, but he makes things happen a la the one-two with Long last week that earned the penalty.

It was a wonderful goal out of the Matt le Tiss category. Generally I thought we looked very solid defensively and in midfield. The one aspect of play that just does not work for us are the high crosses, generally of good quality, but we have no one capable of heading a goal unless our centre backs are upfront!

Agree with your sentiment but I think calling it a one-two is kind (wrong)! Boufal was tackled, and the loose ball fell to Long. Nevertheless, it was still his desire to run forwards with the ball that caused the scenario to play out that way, even if he was a bit lucky he got away with a heavy first touch.

Edited by mrfahaji

Very special goal to brighten 85 minutes of hard work.

Listening to MP on Solent was a tad concerning, Adam Blackmore was pushing him to comment on Boufals goal, he dodged Round the question. What he did say was a tad concerning in alluding that Nathan Redmond is a better option ahead of Boufal as he offers much more. I don't get it!, Redmond is predictable Boufal is the opposite, surely un-predictability is what you need in a side. Le Tissier was unpredictable and having that element in the side is what kept us in the top flight longer than we otherwise would have been. (I am not for one moment suggesting Boufal is the new Messiah).