Lighthouse

How's this for a line up?

- - - - - Forster

Cedric - Yoshi - Virgil - Bertrand

- - - - - - - Romeu

- - - Lemina - - - - Boufal

- Davis - - - - - - - - - Tadic

- - - - - - - Gabbi

Boufal seem's to enjoy running at people, so why not have him and Lemina pushing up from central midfield.

- - - - - Forster

- - - - - Romeu

- - Lemina - - - - Boufal

- Davis - - - - - - - Tadic

- - - - - Gabbi

Boufal seem's to enjoy running at people, so why not have him and Lemina pushing up from central midfield.

Bad choice of keeper

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

- - - - - Forster

- - - - - - - Romeu

- - - Lemina - - - - Boufal

- Davis - - - - - - - - - Tadic

- - - - - - - Gabbi

Cant play Tadic and Boufal. One change for me e0ca766d467ba5f82b5df60710224961.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

-------------------- McCarthy ---------------------

Cedric --- VvD ---- Yoshida --- Bertrand

----------------------- Romeu ------------------------

---------- Lemina --------------- Davis -----------

------------------------- Boufal -----------------------

-------------- Austin ---------- Gabbi -------------

Bench: Forster, McQueen, Hoedt, Tadic, JWP, Redmond, Long

IMHO:

-----------------------------McCarthy---------------------------

Cedric-----------Van Dijk------------Yoshida----------Bertrand

------------------------------Romeu------------------------------

------------------Lemina---------------Davis---------------------

------------------------------Boufal ------------------------------

---------Gabbiadini----------------------------Long--------------

I wasn’t convinced by Boufal before today, but he’s proven his worth and must now have the chance to start the next few games behind the striker(s).

I’m delighted Redmond was finally dropped (for the first time ever at Saints when he’s been fit??) and his cameo today was nothing spectacular (unless you just enjoy watching players run fast).

Tadic clearly has ability so I was willing to be patient for a while, but he’s had plenty of chances this season and needs to be dropped now. He’s improved slightly over the last few games, but he slows us down too much and seems to hate shooting.

I’d stick with Gabbi and Long together, but encourage them to get wide more often (generally Gabbi right and Long left), leaving Boufal in the ‘False-9’ role sometimes. I don’t mean they should play as rigid wingers sticking to one side, just that they should get wide more often to compensate for the narrow midfield diamond.

I have no idea if McCarthy is good enough to play regularly in the Premier League, but I think he deserves a chance now.

Picking Forster every week is starting to get cruel. There must be something physically and/or psychologically wrong. My theory is he’s overdone the weight/strength training and needs to lose some muscle-mass to become more agile (he’ll never be that agile at his size, but he didn’t used to be this stiff).

Like it

Maybe at home against the non top 6 teams and even away at some places we should play Boufal Tadic and Redmond/Sims etc behind Gabbiadini. Instead of two holding mids that keep us solid when there is little need to against teams that just sit back. The last ten minutes last night and second half against United we actually looked like we could attack when taking one of the holding midfielders off.

That said I'd go with this team to start as Redmond still needs to earn his place back.

-----------McCarthy----------

Cedric--Yoshida--VVD---Bertrand

---------Lemina-Davis--------

JWP--------Boufal--------Tadic

---------Gabbiadini---------

Forster - Bertrand/Yoshida/VVD/Cedric - Romeu/Lemina - Tadic/Boufal/JWP - Gabi

Let Romeu sit and get Lemina and Boufal playing close together through the middle. Both play with their heads up and are more likely to spot Gabi's movement than anyone else in our squad.

I've included JWP as a sop to those who insist on have as many water carriers as possible, so if you feel particularly strongly about it, feel free to swap him out for Davis, though playing on the right I'd rather have JWP on the dead ball than Davis, who hits a useless corner.

Trouble is with that team we have absolutely no pace going forward. Without either Long or Redmond playing we have no chance of getting behind their back 4 IMO.

Hang on Boufal has had a good 10 mins in the last 20 games !
10 minutes more than anyone else!

Last couple of games he has looked good and deserves a run of games now surely? No one else is performing in his role.

Do u not think he should start then?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

I've been a critic of Boufal because I don't feel he has shown enough since his arrival to really warrant a starting place... however if you score a goal a like yesterdays you should be given a chance to show if you can replicate it on a regular basis so stick him in the ten role and drop Davis or more probably Tadic (though TBF I thought Tadic hadn't a decent game yesterday even if he can't finish for toffee). Other than that same team as yesterday

I've been a critic of Boufal because I don't feel he has shown enough since his arrival to really warrant a starting place... however if you score a goal a like yesterdays you should be given a chance to show if you can replicate it on a regular basis so stick him in the ten role and drop Davis or more probably Tadic (though TBF I thought Tadic hadn't a decent game yesterday even if he can't finish for toffee). Other than that same team as yesterday

It's not just the goal though Dodds. - in that short cameo, he produced two great passes which could have resulted in goals - the one to Austin in particular. And he is quicker on the ball and with his decision making than Tadic or Redmond.

Let Romeu sit and get Lemina and Boufal playing close together through the middle. Both play with their heads up and are more likely to spot Gabi's movement than anyone else in our squad.

I've included JWP as a sop to those who insist on have as many water carriers as possible, so if you feel particularly strongly about it, feel free to swap him out for Davis, though playing on the right I'd rather have JWP on the dead ball than Davis, who hits a useless corner.

His corners against WBA were fine; as were Bertrand's frees.

His corners against WBA were fine; as were Bertrand's frees.

Sure, like I said, pick whichever water carrier suits your individual preference/prejudice. That said, I thought Davis's corners against WBA were slow, flat and ineffective.

The main thing is to get our two most effective ball carriers in the middle of the pitch, playing off of each other, with our best striker just ahead of them playing on the shoulder of an unsettled defence.

Sure, like I said, pick whichever water carrier suits your individual preference/prejudice. That said, I thought Davis's corners against WBA were slow, flat and ineffective.

The main thing is to get our two most effective ball carriers in the middle of the pitch, playing off of each other, with our best striker just ahead of them playing on the shoulder of an unsettled defence.

Totally agree about the idea of Lemina getting forward a bit more and someone like Boufal linking with him. My point is that in the absence of JWP's corners and frees, we did quite ok.

JWP should be nowhere near the team. The last thing we need is someone else in the middle who can only pass it 5 yards sideways.

For me, I’d be going with the team/formation that started last night, with boufal coming in for Tadic and Austin in for Long (Austin just offers us something different, gabbi and Long similar players technically rather than ability wise, IMO)

JWP should be nowhere near the team. The last thing we need is someone else in the middle who can only pass it 5 yards sideways.

For me, I’d be going with the team/formation that started last night, with boufal coming in for Tadic and Austin in for Long (Austin just offers us something different, gabbi and Long similar players technically rather than ability wise, IMO)

I haven't got him in the middle - I've got him on the right of the three, and only there to satisfy those who insist on having a Davis-style player somewhere in the side. Neither of them should be anywhere near the middle. At best they should be on the right, getting out of Cedric's way.

though never let be said that you allow your prejudices to influence your opinion :rolleyes:

There was nothing wrong with Davis' deliveries.

It's not just the goal though Dodds. - in that short cameo, he produced two great passes which could have resulted in goals - the one to Austin in particular. And he is quicker on the ball and with his decision making than Tadic or Redmond.

Tbh though we should have been a couple of goals to the good by the time Boufal came on. Creating chances wasn't really the issue we had several good ones, before Boufal even made it on to the pitch, that with more clinical finishing would have seen the game dead and buried before half time.

Brighton? No worries. Hardly matters what team we put out. We will walk this one.

You're obviously taking th p*ss...the only walking we've done is around midfield for most of this season. Hopefully things are changing with Lemina now so influential aand if we start using Boufal to his full potential. Although with tough upcoming fixtures I can't see Pellegrino changing too much from the previous cautious approach.

--------Forster (reluctantly)

Cedric--Yoshida---van Dijk---Bertrand

----------Romeu--Lemina

-JWP/Boufal--Boufal/Davis--Tadic

------------Gabbiadini

(could also play Tadic AM and Boufal LW)

Harry_SFC makes a good point about being away from home, there might be a case to play Long if the defence play a high line. In terms of general play though, "getting behind teams" doesn't seem to be part of Pellegrino's strategy. More's the pity.

--------Forster (reluctantly)

Cedric--Yoshida---van Dijk---Bertrand

----------Romeu--Lemina

-JWP/Boufal--Boufal/Davis--Tadic

------------Gabbiadini

(could also play Tadic AM and Boufal LW)

Harry_SFC makes a good point about being away from home, there might be a case to play Long if the defence play a high line. In terms of general play though, "getting behind teams" doesn't seem to be part of Pellegrino's strategy. More's the pity.

True about the tactics. I would like us to mix it up a bit now and again, I like the fact Pellegrino wants us to pass the ball about but there are times you need to go a bit more direct and turn teams around, especially away from home. By direct I don't mean 'hoofing it', I mean playing the ball into the channels for one of the strikers (as both have decent movement). As you say though it does depends on the oppositions tactics (high line etc)

True about the tactics. I would like us to mix it up a bit now and again, I like the fact Pellegrino wants us to pass the ball about but there are times you need to go a bit more direct and turn teams around, especially away from home. By direct I don't mean 'hoofing it', I mean playing the ball into the channels for one of the strikers (as both have decent movement). As you say though it does depends on the oppositions tactics (high line etc)

Yeah, I think most people on here interpret (atm, at least) "direct" as "running towards the goal rather than away from it". You'd think, what with the idea of football being to score goals, it'd be a bit more popular with the coaching staff too :rolleyes:

I loved the football under poch, which also at times became predictable. However for me, the football under Koeman (defensively solid, with pace on the counter and use of the big CF if needed) was the most effective I've seen us.

They're getting a bit ahead of themselves, apparently Duffey and Dunk (?!) are the best defensive partnership in the premier league.

They're also another south coast club with a chip on their shoulder about us so hopefully we'll be up for it.

Austin in for Long and Boufal in for Tadic.

Long and Tadic just consistently miss chances that we can't afford to. I'd be tempted to have JWP in for Davis as well as they are pretty much interchangable tidy, hard working, solid footballers but JWP offers more from dead balls and crosses IMO.

Austin in for Long and Boufal in for Tadic.

Long and Tadic just consistently miss chances that we can't afford to. I'd be tempted to have JWP in for Davis as well as they are pretty much interchangable tidy, hard working, solid footballers but JWP offers more from dead balls and crosses IMO.

+1. I'd basically start the team that finished the match, and pretty much finishes every match. If its good enough when you are desperate and need to score, then why not at the beginning too?