Brighton Build Up

Lighthouse

541 in defence

4141 in attack [emoji6]

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

We were horrendous last season against Hull when we experimented with Tadic, Boufal and Redmond in the side.

The irony is that the usual cretins dredge up the Hull game as evidence of Puel's negativity but conveniently forget that in that game he gave them exactly what they had been clamouring for.

The problem with playing Tadic, Boufal and Redmond is that it leaves our midfield exposed and too large a gap between defence and attack.

Lemina clearly a big loss but we 'should' still have too much PL know-how for BHA. We can pick any number of combinations where we are 'better' than them man-for-man, but do we want it, can we scrap, and do we know how to grind out a result?

...........Forster ...........

CS .... Yoshi...VVD... RB

.... JWP.... OR....SD.......

.....Long....Gab....Tadic

That side should have enough about it to keep a clean sheet, and enough of a counter punch to keep Brighton honest.

Add Boufal (and Redmond) from the bench and we could see a solid 0-1 / 0-2 sort of a result.

They're a good team, a good club, in a good city. They have a decent manager who knows what he is doing. It will be very tough.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Just makes me dislike them even more.

I have to think about the Cup QF in 1986 to calm myself down - Moran & Cockerill, oh yes...!

It’s a big loss not having Lemina. It’s been a real treat watching him play so far this season.

I’d leave Romeu on his own in front of the defenders rather than putting him in a tandem with a Lemina replacement. Do we really need two defensive midfielders against Brighton? I expect this to be one of those games where we maintain possession while the home team sits back and makes chances on the break.

Losing Lemina is a mighty blow but every team loses players over the season. We have to cope.

Holberg is an obvious replacement but he's been out of the 1st team too long to be thrown straight in. Just my opinion obviously but feels risky.

I get the negative vibes with JWP, he is a good player but critically lacks pace. However his high quality deliivery does put teams under pressure and I don't think we use that enough. He is the safe option so bet MP goes with him.

I'm conflicted with Boufel . Has his recent renaissance been due to facing a tired opposition or are we wasting his talent. Only one way to find out I guess.

A previous poster's suggestion of Stephens in midfield is a bold move but would love to see that. If it worked what a coup that would be.

COYS

Can’t see us getting a result without Lemina, he’s the last player you want injured.

nah we can cope fine I'm sure- thing is Hojberg was the player I'd hoped to have been like Lemina, but certainly last season in the early stages he showed glimpses of it, wonder what he plays like now..

I'd like to see Hojbjerg as a straight replacement for Lemina for this one. He has been playing well for the U23s recently. Think this may be game that really suits him and will need winning in the midfield, before we can take the game to them.

So same team for me apart from the change above, and get the subs on (including Boufal) on 60 minutes.

I'd like Hojbjerg to be given a go in Lemina's absence, but as several mention he's not had enough 1st team experience.

So, I'd be happy if JWP came in as a straight replacement. Slightly different set up, and hoping for plenty of corners & free kick opportunities near their box.

I imagine Redmond will be in, though. :?

I'd like to see Hojbjerg as a straight replacement for Lemina for this one. He has been playing well for the U23s recently. Think this may be game that really suits him and will need winning in the midfield, before we can take the game to them.

So same team for me apart from the change above, and get the subs on (including Boufal) on 60 minutes.

Agree. Like Boufal, if he never gets a game how the F can he improve? Wouldn't surprise me if both want out soon.

Agree. Like Boufal, if he never gets a game how the F can he improve? Wouldn't surprise me if both want out soon.

This isn't playschool where everyone gets a gold sticker for taking part. Players have to seize their opportunities as they come. McQueen, Stephens and Sims did it last year, waited for their chances and grabbed them with both hands. Boufal and Hoj haven't done that. When they have been given starts, or even sub appearances, they've been largely anonymous.

That said, I would start both tomorrow.

Players have to seize their opportunities as they come. McQueen, Stephens and Sims did it last year, waited for their chances and grabbed them with both hands.

Really bad examples.

Stephens played when we had nobody else. Has vanished since VVD returned.

Mcqueen has been invisible since April

Sims had a great debut.... Puel gave him a combined 90 minutes over the remaining season.

A better example is Romeu. He played very well but only once he was given a run of games.

The team selection this week is difficult to predict with Lemina out and the pressure to start Boufal. Perhaps it’s an opportunity to use Davis in Lemina’s place and have Boufal for Davis. That would be minimal change which seems to be Pellgrino’s way.

The team selection this week is difficult to predict with Lemina out and the pressure to start Boufal. Perhaps it’s an opportunity to use Davis in Lemina’s place and have Boufal for Davis. That would be minimal change which seems to be Pellgrino’s way.
Good shout that sounds like the favourite

This isn't playschool where everyone gets a gold sticker for taking part. Players have to seize their opportunities as they come. McQueen, Stephens and Sims did it last year, waited for their chances and grabbed them with both hands. Boufal and Hoj haven't done that. When they have been given starts, or even sub appearances, they've been largely anonymous.

That said, I would start both tomorrow.

So what has happened to Sims. Is he injured?

Expecting to see:

Forster

Cedric VVD Yoshida Bertrand

Romeu Davis

Tadic JWP Long

Gabbiadini

Be interesting to see what we do with the formation. Redmond and Boufal could both start

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Have you not learnt that Davis can’t play defensive mid and jwp can’t play attacking mid?

Going to be a very difficult game today. Brighton are a big, incredibly well drilled side.

Will be hard to score against & pose us big problems from set pieces as their centre-halves are units.

Plus they will be full of confidence after their 3-0 away win last time out.

Going to be a very difficult game today. Brighton are a big, incredibly well drilled side.

Will be hard to score against & pose us big problems from set pieces as their centre-halves are units.

So West Brom mark 2 then...

Yeah, but we have Gabbi.

There are no easy games anymore all are difficult and we will be confident too after our win

We have to try and get in behind them and turn those 2 big centre-halves towards their own goal. Boufal has to play. If he doesn't and we stick to our pedestrian sideways and backwards passing we'll be playing right into their hands.

Lemina's replacement isn't obvious. If we stick to Tadic, Redmond and Long behind Gabbiadini, we'll need someone more creative in midfield. If we play Boufal we can ask Davis to play box to box.

I'll be really disappointed with the manager if Boufal doesn't play.

If he starts, the pressure's all on Boufal.

With his dramatics in front of MP last week after scoring THAT goal, he'll have to deliver the goods today or spend the next few months as an impact sub. Quite rightly, he wants to play every game so now he has the chance to show us and MP that he can do it.

The guy has undoubted skill but as with a lot of players with that style, it's difficult to produce week in, week out.

I'd really like to see Stephens come in for Lemina. I think he's even more suited to that role than CB. Comfortable on the ball and he'd give us another midfield option.

"I'd really like to see Stephens come in for Lemina. I think he's even more suited to that role than CB. Comfortable on the ball and he'd give us another midfield option."

I think there is a growing momentum for this but I doubt a tough away game at Brighton is the best place to start.

Probably better to push Van Dyke forward and bring in Hoedt.

However ir will probably be JWP.

Bet Brighton fans hope Austin doesn't add to the 6 he's put past them in the past. Hopefully he at least gets his usual 10 mins, unlike at Huddersfield where he didn't get on the pitch, so couldn't add to the 7 he's on against them. I'm sure they were glad about that.

Austin not even on the bench today!