Forster , reason for being first choice

kermitsaint

I seem to remember when Forster signed , Koeman had it written into his contract that he would be first choice no matter what as long as he was fit . This is what caused Boruc to walk out .

Maybe the reason he plays is just as simple as that ?

Anyone else remember anything ?

Sent from my SM-G925I using Tapatalk

I seem to remember when Forster signed , Koeman had it written into his contract that he would be first choice no matter what as long as he was fit . This is what caused Boruc to walk out .

I remember the same. It might not literally be written in but Boruc had no doubt he had no chance to fight for the spot. Forster starting was a certainty. Easy life when you have no competition and get a contract extension with 4 years left after your worst season by a mile. Every club makes mistakes and that's normal, but it's honestly baffling that he got a contract extension. It's probably the only thing this entire forum would agree on.

I remember the same. It might not literally be written in but Boruc had no doubt he had no chance to fight for the spot. Forster starting was a certainty. Easy life when you have no competition and get a contract extension with 4 years left after your worst season by a mile. Every club makes mistakes and that's normal, but it's honestly baffling that he got a contract extension. It's probably the only thing this entire forum would agree on.

I don’t agree. He’s an England international keeper who is going through a bad patch.

Is it written in his contract that he should get extensions no matter how regardless of how he performs? This is the same club that thought it would be a good idea to go into a premier league season with Kelvin and Gazzaniga as the only goalkeeping options. We have a massive blind spot when it comes to that position.

Don't believe that is true for one second. If it was it would be an absolute disgrace and Les should be dismissed. He is simply rubbish, it is no longer a form thing, he has been like this now for best part of 2 seasons, he has lost his confidence, lost his agility. Not even considered in the top 3 England keepers any more, not that that is a sign of a good keeper when Joe Hart is considered #1. Trouble is it looks like McCarthy really isn't good enough either.

I don’t agree. He’s an England international keeper who is going through a bad patch.

You're saying you think he deserved that contract extension when he still had 4 years left? You're not worried about the message that sends when players get rewarded for no reason when having a poor season?

You're saying you think he deserved that contract extension when he still had 4 years left? You're not worried about the message that sends when players get rewarded for no reason when having a poor season?

Fraser has been an integral part of our success in recent years this season only five teams have let in less goals than him and in recent seasons he has let in fewer goals than most teams.

Goal Keepers do make errors and are very noticeable and Fraser has made a few recently but the lack of scoring goals is a much bigger problem than us conceding a few soft ones.

If the forwards could score some it would take the pressure off the defence because if we concede it usually means we lose

Fraser has been an integral part of our success in recent years this season only five teams have let in less goals than him and in recent seasons he has let in fewer goals than most teams.

Goal Keepers do make errors and are very noticeable and Fraser has made a few recently but the lack of scoring goals is a much bigger problem than us conceding a few soft ones.

If the forwards could score some it would take the pressure off the defence because if we concede it usually means we lose

Begone with your sensible talk, there is no place for you here.

You're dodging the question. Do you think he deserved a contract extension on last seasons form when he still had 4 years left?

You're dodging the question. Do you think he deserved a contract extension on last seasons form when he still had 4 years left?

The Club has been sending plenty of signals that we are no longer a selling club. Key to that has been signing players to longer term deals. Foresters clean sheet record bears scrutiny with the best in the league.

Frankly, I’d rather stand by players than chop them off at the knees.

Don't believe that is true for one second. If it was it would be an absolute disgrace and Les should be dismissed. He is simply rubbish, it is no longer a form thing, he has been like this now for best part of 2 seasons, he has lost his confidence, lost his agility. Not even considered in the top 3 England keepers any more, not that that is a sign of a good keeper when Joe Hart is considered #1. Trouble is it looks like McCarthy really isn't good enough either.
From memory I think it was one of his demands when joining us from Celtic

From memory I think it was one of his demands when joining us from Celtic

Should be quite easy to confirm it by googling for the reports from that time (assumes said reports were accurate of course...)

Because the other goalkeepers at the club are worse. McCarthy, for example, is even more error prone and makes some comical mistakes.

Forster used to be a very good goalkeeper. I remember how relieved we were to see him come back from injury to replace Stekelenburg. Even now, Forster probably has one of the best clean sheet to game ratios of any goalkeeper we have ever had at the club in the top light. Some people think his decline is due to injury but I think it may be due to the influence of goalkeeping coach, Dave Watson, as all of the goalkeepers at the club have got worse. Forster usd to push shots wide of his goal. Now he parries them all forwards, which has led to a few goals conceded. He also seems to have lost his spontaneous reactions and stops to think before kicking, which can lead to panic situations. My guess is these changes are down to the coaching. Before writing him off, I would like to see how Forster performs under a different coach.

I'd agree with this. If we could start finding the net, I'd expect his error rate to drop.

We should get Butland. It's inevitable VVD is going at some point, some of that money should be re-invested in the best keeper we can get, unless Forster can regain his old form.

Very little if any chance of Butland coming to us, he's now a CL club target and doubt we'd shell out £30m or so on him.

Makes it seem criminal that we didn't sign him when first promoted. £6m wanted by Brum seemed steep at the time for an 18year old, and you can understand Cortese's reluctance to spend that on an untried player, but should gone back with £4m in the January. Compare this with the money we wasted on Ramirez and Gazzaniga at the time.

Those mythical 'must play if fit' clauses which no club would obviously ever agree to. Boruc left because Forster was obviously brought in as a long term #1 and he wanted first team football.
Aawwwwww you mean there is no such clause in his contract, i really wanted to believe that claptrap was true as well....!

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

Another good save at the weekend, not to mention a clean sheet.

No doubt, but also some really poor play that could have seen us go behind. not least the inexplicable dropped cross when basically unchallenged.

For me, he is more exposed now than at any time in his Saints career - we're still pretty good defensively but not the rock solid unit we were when we also had Wanyama and Morgan protecting for example.

As such he's having to do more, has made a few mistakes and struggled with niggly injuries that have contributed to a major drop in confidence.

Assessment - he isn't as good as we thought he was in years one and two, when he was superbly protected but probably not as bad as he is showing currently which is due to loss of form and severe lack of confidence. I would absolutely add another top keeper to the mix if we could. He's the best of an average to not very good/not ready bunch, so we need to get behind him rather than the ironic cheers when he catches a ball

Those mythical 'must play if fit' clauses which no club would obviously ever agree to. Boruc left because Forster was obviously brought in as a long term #1 and he wanted first team football.
McGoldrick was also another who had to play contract, in the minds of some on here, as well, lol Edited by OldNick

Very little if any chance of Butland coming to us, he's now a CL club target and doubt we'd shell out £30m or so on him.

Makes it seem criminal that we didn't sign him when first promoted. £6m wanted by Brum seemed steep at the time for an 18year old, and you can understand Cortese's reluctance to spend that on an untried player, but should gone back with £4m in the January. Compare this with the money we wasted on Ramirez and Gazzaniga at the time.

Do any of those clubs need a keeper?, ok Liverpool do but they seem to be oblivious to that.

Man City just bought one and he's doing ok, Chelsea have Courtois, Arsenal have Cech, Man Utd De Gea, Spurs Lloris.

Plus at the rate they are going Stoke could be going down if they don't sort themselves out. Unless he goes abroad or Liverpool wake up, we would be a pretty solid choice for him.

And you remember reading this in his contract do you? Grow up, this doesn't happen in the real world.
Umm I don't understand why you're getting so arsey about it . It was mentioned/rumoured as the reason Boruc walked out .

Obviously none of us have read his contract but don't let that stop you from behaving like a child .

Umm I don't understand why you're getting so arsey about it . It was mentioned/rumoured as the reason Boruc walked out .

Obviously none of us have read his contract but don't let that stop you from behaving like a child .

pots, kettles... :D

Can't help thinking that the Forster/goalkeeping coach axis is a bit too comfy. Oh, and Fraser is a lumpen lunk who has poor reactions made worse by his bulk. Can't catch. Can't distribute. Doesn't come off his line enough. Gets beaten at his near post too often. Lacks grit/bravery. Often does that 'oh too good for anyone' thing useless goalies do to imply it's not their fault. Only thing he can do is shout 'away' at his defence. Useless. And will cost us many more points this season. groundhog day

Irene/Boruc was one of the people claiming that Forster had a must play if fit clause .

Took 2 mins of checking past posts from 2014 .

Im sure Vectis will pour scorn over it though .

Sure will. So if Irene posted it you believe it. Unbelievable how some can be so gullible.

The Club has been sending plenty of signals that we are no longer a selling club. Key to that has been signing players to longer term deals. Foresters clean sheet record bears scrutiny with the best in the league.

Frankly, I’d rather stand by players than chop them off at the knees.

But then he might get down to those shots quicker.

And he'd still be a decent size for a keeper too.

Statistically the 5th best goalie in the league so far...

Discuss

That puts him ahead of Courtois,Cech, Heaton & Lloris. I don't think many would agree with that pecking order, so it suggests that somewhere along the line the measurement used is flawed.

The 2nd picture shows expected goals scored. You can just see our highest player in 24th, Yoshida, with 1.9 expected goals. Our player with the best chances this season is a CB :blush:

As for Forster, we've only played 1 top 5, 3 top 10 sides. Better teams/players take their chances. Will be interesting to revisit 19 games in.

Edited by Ultimatt

That puts him ahead of Courtois,Cech, Heaton & Lloris. I don't think many would agree with that pecking order, so it suggests that somewhere along the line the measurement used is flawed.

Bloody obvious that many shots on target are a piece of p1ss to save.

Because the other goalkeepers at the club are worse. McCarthy, for example, is even more error prone and makes some comical mistakes.

Forster used to be a very good goalkeeper. I remember how relieved we were to see him come back from injury to replace Stekelenburg. Even now, Forster probably has one of the best clean sheet to game ratios of any goalkeeper we have ever had at the club in the top light. Some people think his decline is due to injury but I think it may be due to the influence of goalkeeping coach, Dave Watson, as all of the goalkeepers at the club have got worse. Forster usd to push shots wide of his goal. Now he parries them all forwards, which has led to a few goals conceded. He also seems to have lost his spontaneous reactions and stops to think before kicking, which can lead to panic situations. My guess is these changes are down to the coaching. Before writing him off, I would like to see how Forster performs under a different coach.

Is he actually? I never saw him but always thought that he musn't be that bad a reserve option, so why not try him in the first team against a team like Swansea or West Brom for that matter.

He's still quite young (28) as well...

All of them except for Cech have very few shots on target and a low xG which makes it hard to outperform the xG against (which makes it flawed). Cech however is having quite an average season by the looks of it. Perhaps Forsters gaffes aren't that frequent and he "makes up" for them with other saves.

Is he actually? I never saw him but always thought that he musn't be that bad a reserve option, so why not try him in the first team against a team like Swansea or West Brom for that matter.

He's still quite young (28) as well...

McCarthy makes some real howlers, including one to gve away a goal in his last game for the U23s. Palace fans were glad to see the back of him.

"Crystal Palace goalkeeper Alex McCarthy has apologised to supporters after his costly slip in their Premier League defeat to Liverpool.

The 26-year-old hadn't started a league game for the Eagles since September following a string of uncertain performances but was brought into face Jurgen Klopp's men after Wayne Hennessey failed a late fitness test."

https://www.standard.co.uk/sport/football/i-didnt-mean-to-slip-alex-mccarthy-apologises-to-crystal-palace-fans-after-costly-error-a3196806.html