Forster , reason for being first choice

kermitsaint

How many points did we loss because of Forster, including the 2 points in the last match. We should have keep a record here. I don't mind counting any points he saved which are not many I reckon.

-2 (Brighton v Saint 29/10/2017)

How many points did we loss because of Forster, including the 2 points in the last match. We should have keep a record here. I don't mind counting any points he saved which are not many I reckon.

-2 (Brighton v Saint 29/10/2017)

http://www.eurosport.com/football/premier-league/2017-2018/what-has-happened-to-fraser-forster_sto6386875/story.shtml

Record of his mistakes and points dropped just this season in article

Can't see it will be easy to get rid of FF, big contract, big wages, and can't see 'anybody' wanting him in his current state. If he's prepared to take a big pay cut he could get a gig at a Wolves/Forest/Brum type of club, for me he's finished at PL level mentally and physically.

Unless the England GK coach can work some magic, but there's little sign of that.

From the 5th March: called it 8 months ago;)

Edited by sandwichsaint

If you witnessed Ian Andrews **** ups at QPR back in god knows when, then you tend to be a little more forgiving of keepers, but that said I have never rated Forster and I still would prefer Arthur.

In my humble opinion Forster is a limited keeper and I have always been sceptical. He gets his body in the way of things and by and large his positioning is decent, which is why he gets in the way of things. That's a very useful attribute and I wouldn't want to gloss over it as its fundamental to decent keeping, however there is no way of getting away from the fact he doesn't make saves, i.e. ones where the ball doesn't just hit him.

I have yet to see him make a `worldie' where he has had to dive. There was the Arsenal save, but I'd argue that he just stretched his arms out wide and the ball hit one of them. It was a very good save, no doubt about that, but how about something where he has to dive or move his feet? You don't need me to tell you his kicking sucks, he doesn't sweep and is stuck permanently to his line, but shot stopping, that's a basic requirement for top flight keeping right?

He had a great run of form after his injury when he had something to prove to himself and everyone else , I think he has lost focus and the bit of aggression that someone his size should be using and is therefore not reacting as quick as he can/should be .

He's sh1te and has been well protected up until last season by a superb defence and midfield. Capable of the odd worldie game which everyone remembers and seems to justify his selection for the next 6 months in some people's eyes.

Now we're a little weaker in those positions, he's exposed more and his true (lack of) ability is there for all to see.

Called it when he signed, got laughed at. Boruc was and probably still is an infinitely better goalkeeper. He's not going through a "bad patch" or is carrying an injury, he's just a poor goalkeeper... made worse by a complete lack of confidence in himself.

Would go all out for Darlow or Bentley and try and shift him to a stupidly cash rich club who might need a backup... though he's doing away the possibility of that happening with his continually sh1t performances. It's weird that people have only really started noticing in the last few months... he's been bad for years.

Top drawer dive this, first touching the ball when it's already a foot inside the goal. He just gets next to no spring out of his feet, can't cover anywhere near the same ground as the majority of other keepers. Any shot within a yard of either post and it's a goal. Maybe that injury really did ruin him but them's the breaks for professional athletes.

Brighton2.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

If you witnessed Ian Andrews **** ups at QPR back in god knows when, then you tend to be a little more forgiving of keepers, but that said I have never rated Forster and I still would prefer Arthur.

In my humble opinion Forster is a limited keeper and I have always been sceptical. He gets his body in the way of things and by and large his positioning is decent, which is why he gets in the way of things. That's a very useful attribute and I wouldn't want to gloss over it as its fundamental to decent keeping, however there is no way of getting away from the fact he doesn't make saves, i.e. ones where the ball doesn't just hit him.

I have yet to see him make a `worldie' where he has had to dive. There was the Arsenal save, but I'd argue that he just stretched his arms out wide and the ball hit one of them. It was a very good save, no doubt about that, but how about something where he has to dive or move his feet? You don't need me to tell you his kicking sucks, he doesn't sweep and is stuck permanently to his line, but shot stopping, that's a basic requirement for top flight keeping right?

One of the most mediocre keepers I've seen, and by comparison, even Kelvin Davis appeals as a better GK. There have been many excuses made for him - injuries, loss of form and confidence - but we have seen enough of him before and after the injury to make a negative judgement. Koeman should take some blame - it was he who proclaimed Forster would be the first choice, banishing Boruc to the bench and virtually giving the big lump an unchallenged place in the team. No outfield player would be able to survive such a prolonged run of mistakes and poor performance without being dropped or replaced.

One of the most mediocre keepers I've seen, and by comparison, even Kelvin Davis appeals as a better GK. There have been many excuses made for him - injuries, loss of form and confidence - but we have seen enough of him before and after the injury to make a negative judgement. Koeman should take some blame - it was he who proclaimed Forster would be the first choice, banishing Boruc to the bench and virtually giving the big lump an unchallenged place in the team. No outfield player would be able to survive such a prolonged run of mistakes and poor performance without being dropped or replaced.

To be fair, Tadic hasn't really paid the price for 16 months of mediocrity.

Those stats though. :o

It shows how poorly we've been doing in defence (pretty high Shots on Target against, and high xG against compared to previous seasons when our shots faced were much lower and so was expected goals against as a result). That the goals actually conceded is lower than xG isn't just down to the keeper, though he should be a significant factor.

A quick check of the goals conceded map shows attachment.php?attachmentid=2563&d=1510520732

most of the goals conceded are within the 6 yard box - which explains the high xG against.

However, the three from outside the area (and the one from out wide against Newcastle where Forster basically ran out of the way of the angle after stopping the initial shot) are contributing to the feeling there have been goalkeeping errors.

You can create them yourself here: https://public.tableau.com/profile/paul.riley#!/vizhome/PremierLeaguexGandShotMap2017-18/PremierLeaguexGShotDashboard2017-18

ShotxG.jpg

Exactly this. I thought all goalkeepers were "shot stoppers" but we seem to have found one who isn't, and then isn't blessed with a multitude of other skills to make up for it. His sheer size makes it all the more difficult to believe, and to accept, his lack of presence when dealing with crosses as well.

If we had strikers who could score goals so we win 3-1, 4-2 etc no one would notice FF.

Wouldn't be noticed as much possibly but would definitely still be noticed. His current level of cr@pness would would not go unnoticed even if his mistakes didn't keep costing us points.

• 3 weeks later...

Interesting off the BBC -

The former Celtic man has made 49 saves in the Premier League this season - more than any other English keeper - and apart from Burnley's Nick Pope he has the best save percentage of any of his rivals for the England squad.

Why does it seem to me that most games it only takes a shot on target to go in....:lol:

Made one excellent save in the first half; the others were relatively comfortable parries.

Agree - but at least he moved his feet and extended himself a few times. If he would now also dominate his area and come catch a few corners / crosses we've got ourselves a half decent stopper.

Made one excellent save in the first half; the others were relatively comfortable parries.

And too many of those parries are pushed back into the danger zone for my liking. But he does seem to be moving better and his confidence seems to be coming back these last few games.