Booing: Redmond, Long & Forster

Dusic

Very disappointed to hear booing for Nathan Redmond as he entered the pitch yesterday. He isn't in great form but always puts a shift in and tries his best. No Saints fan should be booing one of our players, let alone when he is clearly struggling for confidence. He did quite well when he came on I thought.

I wonder what is the difference that means Redmond gets booed for trying hard but playing poorly yet some people stood up to applaud Shane Long off the pitch having played in exactly the same way? He is judged on some kind of other criteria for some reason?

On that topic, its the same with Fraser Forster and the ironic cheers when he claims a ball. He is pretty terrible just now but that is hardly going to help him. Pretty bizarre really to do that to a player of the team you support, during a tight and must win match.

I agree but what I think it is with Redmond as opposed to Long is his whole demeanour. He always, and I mean always, looks to blame someone else when he makes an error. To me he always gives the impression of thinking he’s better than he actually is. Now whether that was cultivated by Puel who thought he was Henry Mk 2 I don’t know but that’s my theory :lol:

Were the fans more booing the fact that it was Redmond being introduced first, rather than Boufal, who the week before had come on and done very well. Whereas Redmond has been pretty crap for a long while and was deservedly dropped, thus had done nothing to warrant him being the first sub introduced.

They were booing the decision to bring him on, not him in particular.

Were the fans more booing the fact that it was Redmond being introduced first, rather than Boufal, who the week before had come on and done very well. Whereas Redmond has been pretty crap for a long while and was deservedly dropped, thus had done nothing to warrant him being the first sub introduced.

Yep, this is what I thought/assumed at the time.

We have some right dinlos in our fan base though so it wouldn’t surprise me

Ridiculous and disgraceful booing our own players, even VD after his summer strop.

Re the Redmond - Long difference, Long is known to run around a lot, occasionally irritating an opponent in the process, and he claps the fans. It's called the 'Prutton Factor'.

Same for Van Dijk, or is he fair game?
I haven't booed him, home or away, nor sung his name. I can understand why he got the reaction he did at Palace where there were quite a few boos but it should have ended there, point made.

What is the point when he is on the pitch, being one of our best players and trying to help us win?

He knows he will have ****ed off Saints fans. No need to focus on it during a game at the detriment of the team.

Easy to say in hindsight Redmond has two assists to his name and more shots then anyone else in the squad this season and Boufal, before yesterday, had managed about 10 decent minutes all season. From that point of view Redmond would look to the manager the more likely to get something out of the game and his first ball but Tadic through on goal.

I really wish we could IQ test our fans before allowing entry into the stadium

Probably like every other club in the country we'd end up playing in a half empty stadium.

Apart from the skates who'd be playing behind closed doors of course.

I don't agree with booing our own players, it's counterproductive. However, just to play Devil's Advocate - if the entire fanbase want to see player A brought on to the pitch, and with his last substitution of the game, the manager brings on player B instead, how can the fans show their displeasure at the manager for that decision?

Like I said, I still wouldn't boo in this scenario, but is there at least a logical argument here?

Easy to say in hindsight Redmond has two assists to his name and more shots then anyone else in the squad this season and Boufal, before yesterday, had managed about 10 decent minutes all season. From that point of view Redmond would look to the manager the more likely to get something out of the game and his first ball but Tadic through on goal.

Lies, damned lies, and statistics.

It's not "in hindsight" if people have been saying it for weeks, and were saying it before Boufal's goal though, is it?

No it was pretty obvious at the time hence why the crowd booed, Redmond has done sweet FA for 9 months and was very very poor against Newcastle, whereas Boufal was much better against Newcastle and that was in 10 minutes compared to Redmonds 80 minutes.

It's not rocket science is it.

Player A plays crap for the whole of the previous game. Obviously bad enough to get dropped for it.

Player B, in 10 minutes of the previous game shows more energy, creativity and movement than player A showed in that game.

Thus when you look to the bench to get goal that might win you the game why would you look to guy that you dropped for being so ineffective, instead of the guy that played much better than him.

Logically you wouldn't. Redmond had done nothing in the previous 3/4 games minimum to say he was worth being brought on, whilst Boufal had.

Hence the booing.

The booing is pretty understandable IMO.

Edited by tajjuk

Wouldn't boo myself but with Redmond I think the crowd are booing the decision to bring him on. He didn't get booed every time he touched the ball.

The Forster one is really stupid though. Yes he's been a statue for a year or so, but he's clearly very fragile. Why make it worse?

That simple catch he'd make with no problems 100/100 in training. With the Northam giving him ****, he dropped it and nearly cost us a goal. How is that worth it? Support the useless numpty.

On Forster it's like some people are willing him to make another error so they can all get stuck in on a forum. I'd rather have three points myself.

VVD booing is getting a little boring too. Fortunately he demonstrated all summer that he really couldn't care less what the fans think or say, and has thankfuly ignored the boos when he plays. On a side note I thought VVD was much improved on Saturday compared to against Newcastle - much more focused and played as he did pre-injury last season.

Hindsight? Most on here have been saying for weeks that Boufal should be given a chance ahead of Redmond. Until Saturday Redmond had played almost every minute of every game, two assists is hardly anything to write home about and despite having all those shots he has failed to score, as most of them have been crap. Meanwhile Boufal has had a few minutes here and there at the end of a few games.

It's patently obvious to anyone with half a brain that Boufal is a far more talented player than Redmond, I think the booing was aimed at the decision rather than Redmond himself, it's just people's frustration coming out and tbh I think it's perfectly understandable. The sarcastic cheers for Forster are well out of order though.

No it was pretty obvious at the time hence why the crowd booed, Redmond has done sweet FA for 9 months and was very very poor against Newcastle, whereas Boufal was much better against Newcastle and that was in 10 minutes compared to Redmonds 80 minutes.

It's not rocket science is it.

Player A plays crap for the whole of the previous game. Obviously bad enough to get dropped for it.

Player B, in 10 minutes of the previous game shows more energy, creativity and movement than player A showed in that game.

Thus when you look to the bench to get goal that might win you the game why would you look to guy that you dropped for being so ineffective, instead of the guy that played much better than him.

Logically you wouldn't. Redmond had done nothing in the previous 3/4 games minimum to say he was worth being brought on, whilst Boufal had.

Hence the booing.

The booing is pretty understandable IMO.

He wasn't poor against Newcastle he had two crosses in the first half that should have been converted and it was his ball that assisted Gabbi's goal for starters (and yes I know Gabbi still had a lot of work today but if it wasn't Redmond's cross field ball Gabbi doesn't get the ball) Redmond was also got 7 goals in a season where we were notoriously goal shy so was hardly crap all season. Its not like I'm claiming Redmond is some sort of world beater but he is no where near as bad as people are trying to make out. Seems like he is saints fans favorite new whipping boy.

That's probably true but doesn't make it any better, especially not for him.

He wasn't poor against Newcastle he had two crosses in the first half that should have been converted and it was his ball that assisted Gabbi's goal for starters (and yes I know Gabbi still had a lot of work today but if it wasn't Redmond's cross field ball Gabbi doesn't get the ball) Redmond was also got 7 goals in a season where we were notoriously goal shy so was hardly crap all season. Its not like I'm claiming Redmond is some sort of world beater but he is no where near as bad as people are trying to make out. Seems like he is saints fans favorite new whipping boy.

Last season Redmond went through patches of being awful but then also looked decent at times as well. This season I haven't seen him play well once, BUT I do wonder if that's at least partly because he's playing as instructed by the manager, and hence why he gets picked all the time. He started the Newcastle game quite well because he & Bertrand ran at the defenders and created space for crosses, but it didn't last long. It's not that Redmond does anything particularly badly, I'm just not sure what he does particularly well? I think most of our team you could specify a strength of their game, but not sure about Redmond...

Lies, damned lies, and statistics.

It's not "in hindsight" if people have been saying it for weeks, and were saying it before Boufal's goal though, is it?

People were saying Boufal should start for weeks, so it wasn’t hindsight at all. However, doesn’t mean they were right. Chances are he’d have been hooked for Redmond on about 60 mins, after doing sweet FA. Look at it this way, the managers substitution changed the game.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I think those who think Redmond lacks talent are embarrassing themselves. It should be obvious to anyone that he has pace, can dribble, beat players, shoot and score vital goals. He has done all these things since he has been with us. That he does not do enough of them often enough I accept and like a lot of young players he lacks consistency, our slow build up does not help.

Boufal also lacks consistency but is undoubtedly a prodigious talent.

The manager has to decide which player will be the more effective in any given situation and I think he got it about right on Saturday.

I haven't booed him, home or away, nor sung his name. I can understand why he got the reaction he did at Palace where there were quite a few boos but it should have ended there, point made.

What is the point when he is on the pitch, being one of our best players and trying to help us win?

He knows he will have ****ed off Saints fans. No need to focus on it during a game at the detriment of the team.

He is not trying to help US win, more like trying to help HIMSELF win by boosting has stock value by February .

I can’t stand to see him on the pitch !

Where’s Jack Stevens ? He should be above VVD for loyalty reasons alone !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think those who think Redmond lacks talent are embarrassing themselves. It should be obvious to anyone that he has pace, can dribble, beat players, shoot and score vital goals. He has done all these things since he has been with us. That he does not do enough of them often enough I accept and like a lot of young players he lacks consistency, our slow build up does not help.

Boufal also lacks consistency but is undoubtedly a prodigious talent.

The manager has to decide which player will be the more effective in any given situation and I think he got it about right on Saturday.

Hmmmm.

Pace - I'm not actually so sure. People THINK he has pace, but I haven't seen much evidence of it. Ok, he's not slow, but I can't remember the last time I saw him chase down an opponent, or skin the full back in the way that Long does, who is genuinely fast.

Dribble - yeah, he's not bad. He has quite quick feet, but he rarely bamboozles a defender in the way that Boufal or Tadic can/do.

Beat players - As alluded to above, I don't think he does this very much, his approach tends to be run alongside them until he has space for a pass or shot. He rarely gets past them through skill or pace.

Shoot - debatable. He's had lots of shots, but hasn't scored many. I think it's something he's capable of, and better than most others we have in the team, but that's not saying much. No-one could honestly claim he is a "long range threat". He's a decent finisher without being exceptional.

Score vital goals - I don't think he has scored enough goals or enough vital goals to be able to say this one way or the other. Most goals are vital, we rarely thrash the opposition. He scored a vital goal against Liverpool in the semi final, but Long also scored in the 2nd leg, does this mean Long scores 'vital goals'? What about Yoshida? He's rescued a few points for us lately too?

I admit/concur that Redmond showed some promise in the middle of last season, and I had hope that he would become a much better player than I ever thought he would. But he seems to have returned to how he was, and I don't know if that's more about how he is being coached/managed, or if it's just the average player he is. Either way he has frustrating this year.

Very disappointed to hear booing for Nathan Redmond as he entered the pitch yesterday. He isn't in great form but always puts a shift in and tries his best. No Saints fan should be booing one of our players, let alone when he is clearly struggling for confidence. He did quite well when he came on I thought.

I wonder what is the difference that means Redmond gets booed for trying hard but playing poorly yet some people stood up to applaud Shane Long off the pitch having played in exactly the same way? He is judged on some kind of other criteria for some reason?

On that topic, its the same with Fraser Forster and the ironic cheers when he claims a ball. He is pretty terrible just now but that is hardly going to help him. Pretty bizarre really to do that to a player of the team you support, during a tight and must win match.

His terrible decision making , but yes agree you should never boo your own players. Moan about him to your mate by all means but boo them? ****s the lot of them