Stadium PA

kwsaint

Not sure if it is me being an old fogey, but I preferred the stadium PA when it wasn't working properly. Before Saturday's game it was at night club volume - could hardly hear the person next to me. And it lost clarity for being too loud. Don't mind music/videos before the game, but they should be in the background.

The montage of goals before the game was enjoyable, if only to remind us what scoring goals is like, but the sequence was random. It was all over the place

Was quite glad when the game started so my ears could recover

Your thoughts?

I agree, it must certainly be above any dB limit is event regulations. They may think it's improving the atmosphere but what it's really doing is preventing it.

Awful music and much too loud again! Why get to your seat early when you have to put up with this ?

That is a stupid statement.

I was stuck at work on Saturday so I listened to the game on Talksport radio as they had the live commentary.

Interestingly I think the commentator was Sam Matterface and he moaned about the Saints PA on at least 2 occasions. I'd hazard a guess that the club may actually listen to someone in the media so watch this space.

I agree, it must certainly be above any dB limit is event regulations. They may think it's improving the atmosphere but what it's really doing is preventing it.

That is a stupid statement.

You'll never satisfy everyone with the choice of music but agree that it's way too loud.

The football's not been great for a while and not being able to have a chat and a laugh with those around me before the game makes it even worse.

To be fair i like that they've cranked up the music volume and introduced it along with the montage over the 15 minutes before kick off. They are trying to ratchet up the atmosphere and i applaud them for that. Much better than giving the away supporters a head start as they are generally always in the group en mass before the home fans.

Also, there's plenty of grounds where the sounds at an even higher volume! (Wembley and Leicester immediately spring to mind)

I was stuck at work on Saturday so I listened to the game on Talksport radio as they had the live commentary.

Interestingly I think the commentator was Sam Matterface and he moaned about the Saints PA on at least 2 occasions. I'd hazard a guess that the club may actually listen to someone in the media so watch this space.

I wouldn't give a rats arse for any of Skate Matterfaces opinions!!

To be fair i like that they've cranked up the music volume and introduced it along with the montage over the 15 minutes before kick off. They are trying to ratchet up the atmosphere and i applaud them for that. Much better than giving the away supporters a head start as they are generally always in the group en mass before the home fans.

Also, there's plenty of grounds where the sounds at an even higher volume! (Wembley and Leicester immediately spring to mind)

This. I'm a doddering sixty year old but i have no problem with them trying to ramp up the atmosphere. Dare i admit it but I actually thought that the clappers helped in that respect as well. I really can't see there being a H and S case here either. Keep it loud.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

I've emailed the supporters relations via the club website as I believe the volume was above any H&S limits for decibels . I had my fingers jammed in my ears but the vibration continued through my bones ! After 30 years + working in power stations I know what damage noise can do so over to them.

Lol. What tripe.

Go to any gig and it will be much louder.

Exactly.

The moaners need to maybe turn their hearing aids down a little.

It was far too loud, dangerously so. I had my fingers stuck in my ears for ten minutes. The problem is that the sound quality is so poor that all we get is a distorted assault on the senses.

I would suggest you consult a medical professional.

That's my take. People say the music stops us making an atmosphere before kick off but the truth is only the away fans ever make any noise early doors around me people are still taking their seats 5 minutes after kick off.

Don't mind it being loud. I think after the video montage and the 'Premier League anthem' when the teams come out, it should stop. Let the crowd start to make the noise. It's only a minute or 2. Enough to get the first OWTS going. No need for deafening music right up to the moment the whistle is blown.

Far too loud reached 86 decibels briefly last game when the announcer shouted over the music . Don't care about the choice of music - I'm an old git - but you're supposed to wear ear defenders if you work in 85db. Please do email the club if you find it toi loud. Just one or two people complaining is just ignored. It needs more. And they should stop it when the teams come out. As it is, the pa drowns out any crowd noise.

Keep it loud. Music is great too. Bet the players love it and have a say in it as well. They need an atmosphere that is loud. All about opinions and I suspect that the complainers are heavily outweighed by those people liking it loud and then there will be a group who don’t care either way. As you were Saints, it’s absolutely what needed to be done.

I think the differences of view may relate to how close you are to a speaker. We have one pointing right at us. Elsewhere in the same stand isn't quite so bad. I suspect the club just test the volume of the music, not with the announcer shouting over it.

Far too loud reached 86 decibels briefly last game when the announcer shouted over the music . Don't care about the choice of music - I'm an old git - but you're supposed to wear ear defenders if you work in 85db. Please do email the club if you find it toi loud. Just one or two people complaining is just ignored. It needs more. And they should stop it when the teams come out. As it is, the pa drowns out any crowd noise.

what do you do take a noise metre with you to games?

Crikey, now us oldies will have to teach the kids about useful apps for your smartphone..

Joking aside, it was far too loud where I sit, and distorted to boot. I've stewarded at rock concerts at Wembley Stadium and Arena, Pink Floyd at Hammersmith and bands like The Stranglers at smaller venues. That was my choice and I wore ear protection - could still feel the bass. At a football ground people aren't going there to listen to loud music, there are kids there with more sensitive ears, and it really isn't a question of old fogies not liking the music. I've still got my hearing and want to keep it that way.

Crikey, now us oldies will have to teach the kids about useful apps for your smartphone..

Joking aside, it was far too loud where I sit, and distorted to boot. I've stewarded at rock concerts at Wembley Stadium and Arena, Pink Floyd at Hammersmith and bands like The Stranglers at smaller venues. That was my choice and I wore ear protection - could still feel the bass. At a football ground people aren't going there to listen to loud music, there are kids there with more sensitive ears, and it really isn't a question of old fogies not liking the music. I've still got my hearing and want to keep it that way.

I bet you needed ear protectors to see Wee Willie Harris at the Winter Gardens Bournemouth.

Keep it loud. Music is great too. Bet the players love it and have a say in it as well. They need an atmosphere that is loud. All about opinions and I suspect that the complainers are heavily outweighed by those people liking it loud and then there will be a group who don’t care either way. As you were Saints, it’s absolutely what needed to be done.

If you'd prefer to listen to music instead of hearing the Northam or the Itchen corner singing Saints songs, then yeah you're probably happy with the volume of the PA. Drowning out the atmosphere at St Mary's needed to be done? Can you explain that one?

If you'd prefer to listen to music instead of hearing the Northam or the Itchen corner singing Saints songs, then yeah you're probably happy with the volume of the PA. Drowning out the atmosphere at St Mary's needed to be done? Can you explain that one?

I can explain it..... there is no effing atmosphere. Let's not pretend the music is drowning out some sort of fantastic home fan choir before kick off.

Most of the blokes that stand in the Itchen north and Northam aren't even in their seats at kick off let alone singing .

The only people singing before kick off are the away fans so drowning them out with loud music is a bonus.

Not enough people are complaining !

supporterrelations@saintsfc.co.uk

customerservices@saintsfc.co.uk

Use the email contacts to complain about the waste of money on bent bits of card or the terrible din of excessively loud music

Perhaps not everyone thinks it is too loud. I think it has been a great change, so have emailed to let them know - thanks for the address.

They also sent a survey out in the summer in which I and others mentioned the lack of anything to generate an atmosphere in the 10mins prior to kick off. Thankfully the club has acted.

The montage has been the most entertaining part of the majority of home games this season.

This.

Whilst i agree it is quite loud, it certainly adds to the atmosphere, dare i say, generates an atmosphere which otherwise may not be there. Must be great for players to walk out to, although having said that, they don't exactly start games fully pumped up.

I hate the clappers, they do my head right in

I emailed the club after the game and got the following reply:

Thank you for taking the time to send us your feedback in regards to our PA system.

Firstly we would like to take this opportunity to apologies for the sound levels at our recent home fixture with West Bromwich Albion. It appears the system may have been turned up above appropriate levels and have since been made aware of this issue. We are sorry for any discomfort this may have caused you and fellow supporters.

We have liaised closely with the relevant members of staff and sound engineers and have been assured that levels for our next home fixture with Burnley will be reduced.

In regards to the why the PA system has been louder, the honest answer is that both the players and support staff have requested louder music in an increase to build atmosphere in the build up to kick off. Our players and sports psychologists select music designed to ‘pump them up’ and is why the music level is raised in the minutes before the match starting.

For our home fixture with Burnley, what we would ask from all of our loyal and passionate supporters, is that they take every opportunity to chant, sing and cheer our players and help raise the atmosphere, so that our players can rely on the support from the stands as well as the PA system.

We hope this helps, and if you have any further feedback, please do not hesitate to contact us again.

Which is a fair reply. They clearly received a number of complaints and intend to act.

Keep it loud... Obviously not dangerously so but anything to drown out the away end helps IMO.

I absolutely love that we play The Skids as it's such a great song. If budget allowed I'd have them there at every home game belting it out live.. surely we'd be the most respected club in the country for that alone, nevermind the youth setup.

Where does it say that 86 decibels is too loud for an entertainment venue or innapropriate? Also, your monitoring is flawed because anyone talking near you will also add to the volume, a plane flying overhead will do the same. A phone in a noisy environment where people are talking and shouting is a throughly innacurate measure. Sorry to let you know this. A workplace has regulations to wear ear defenders because the noise would be continuous, not for 5 minutes. Different kettle of fish. Do you take your app out at music gigs or the cinema or a pub and tell them to be quiet when any noise exceed this level?

As for comments that it drowns out any atmosphere, the email back from the club shows that we (you and I) weren’t making enough as fans. I would suggest that those moaning about the noise levels are among the quietest fans and have contributed to the decline in atmosphere. The atmosphere before matches was reaching all time rubbish levels. Anyway, seems like the club are going to bow down to the 10 people moaning over the 32,000 that don’t.

Perhaps not everyone thinks it is too loud. I think it has been a great change, so have emailed to let them know - thanks for the address.

They also sent a survey out in the summer in which I and others mentioned the lack of anything to generate an atmosphere in the 10mins prior to kick off. Thankfully the club has acted.

Its actually too loud so does little to increase the atmoshpere as nobody sings.