"It's not a Derby!"

Bad Wolf

"Brighton isn't a derby" - Yes it is, it's reasonably local and there's a lot of bad blood between the two sets of fans.

"Bournemouth isn't a derby" - Yes it is. It's literally down the road and they hate us.

Why do our fans not like games being branded derbies? Why are we so touchy about it?

It's not the biggest one, granted but Wolves Vs Birmingham isn't a huge derby. Neither side are each other's main rivals but you don't hear them getting sensitive about it being called a derby...Because it is.

"Brighton isn't a derby" - Yes it is, it's reasonably local and there's a lot of bad blood between the two sets of fans.

"Bournemouth isn't a derby" - Yes it is. It's literally down the road and they hate us.

Why do our fans not like games being branded derbies? Why are we so touchy about it?

It's not the biggest one, granted but Wolves Vs Birmingham isn't a huge derby. Neither side are each other's main rivals but you don't hear them getting sensitive about it being called a derby...Because it is.

A lot of bad blood? There was some needle when gus was in charge but I don't think there's been much since.

There was a bit of bad blood in L1, though frankly most of it came from Brighton and their Adkins complex. The championship fixtures were pretty tepid affairs -by which time we were streets ahead of them- though I do remember the ref stitching us up at their Amex.

R.e. Bournemouth: https://www.saintsweb.co.uk/entry.php?56-Derby-Day

As for Brighton. Aside from them reacting stupidly to Nigel Adkins' 'can they keep up' comment and their snotty reaction to not getting a guard of honour ahead of our vitally important game at Withdean in 2011..... I couldn't care less. They have done well to get promoted and are making a good fight of staying up. Fair play to them.

There was a bit of bad blood in L1, though frankly most of it came from Brighton and their Adkins complex. The championship fixtures were pretty tepid affairs -by which time we were streets ahead of them- though I do remember the ref stitching us up at their Amex.

No one's saying it's a big derby. It's not our main derby but there's very slightly more significance than if we were playing Stoke or Leicester IMO. That's all I'm saying.

I remember getting on a train in to SMS when we played them in the Championship. Turned out I was the only Saints fan in a carriage full of Brighton fans, who promptly started singing that stupid, "Championés!" song. Wish I had the balls to sing back with WASWTOTL but I felt a bit self conscious on my own.

In all seriousness what does it matter whether a game is called a derby or not? Why do you worry with how other people see it and call it?

As it is, ground to ground, SMS to Amex is 57 miles as the crow flies. Reading FC is 39 miles away and Swindon Town FC is 48 miles away as the crow flies - would you consider them a derby? Or Yeovil Town FC, which is 56 miles away - would that be a derby? Or are you going on about this perceived "a lot of bad blood" (which there really isn't)? If that is the criteria, are our games vs say Liverpool and Spurs derbies?

Nonsense thread.

I remember getting on a train in to SMS when we played them in the Championship. Turned out I was the only Saints fan in a carriage full of Brighton fans, who promptly started singing that stupid, "Championés!" song. Wish I had the balls to sing back with WASWTOTL but I felt a bit self conscious on my own.

Yep remember that game well - they seemed more interested in singing that song than responding to any action on the pitch. Became pretty amusing once we started bartering them.

In all seriousness what does it matter whether a game is called a derby or not? Why do you worry with how other people see it and call it?

As it is, ground to ground, SMS to Amex is 57 miles as the crow flies. Reading FC is 39 miles away and Swindon Town FC is 48 miles away as the crow flies - would you consider them a derby? Or Yeovil Town FC, which is 56 miles away - would that be a derby? Or are you going on about this perceived "a lot of bad blood" (which there really isn't)? If that is the criteria, are our games vs say Liverpool and Spurs derbies?

Nonsense thread.

Such nonsense you felt you needed to waffle on

As Dellman says above I'm actually pretty pleased fro Brighton and Bournemouth. Cracking away days and good to see more Southern clubs at the top of the game.

As for Pompey, I ****ing hate those ****s. They hate us, seriously they'd spit on your Nan if they knew she was a "scumma". It's not "banter", it's way more than that and bigger than football. Now *that's* a derby. Only a few as big IMO, Villa/ Blues, Tyne/ Tees, Cardiff/ Swansea, Millwall/ West Ham. Other huge derbies, but for genuine hatred and the involvement of major police operations to control them only a few stand out really. When you're involved in one of those it's difficult to find the energy to get up for a watered down event like Bournemouth, who are just too nice and middle class to hate anyway.

Don't forget they think we stitched them up in the sixties.

I think we did it was in 1978 I was at the game first time I had seen Hoddle play both teams made little effort to score as a draw made certain both teams went up but if we won we would go up as Champions and Brighton would go up too.

If we lost Bolton Spurs and Saints would go up.

So in summary, an embarrassing nonsense thread?

Nonsense thread.

And Selhurst Park is 66 miles.

There's only one derby that matters. I can't quite remember their name.

The media will call this and bournemouth a "derby" because it sells papers and gets people to tune in. Some fans of other clubs will call them derbies because that's what the media call it. Most match going fans will know that we only have one derby. A small section of bournemouth fans will get annoyed because we don't care about them. Brighton fans will be as annoyed as us because they hate Palace, and also hate the Skates.

I would say though that Brighton will have more needle to it than many games, not because it's a derby but because their fans are d*cks a lot of the time, and i'd say there's certainly more dislike towards them from people i know than there is to Bournemouth (who most people like).

The thing is we're still the top scalp on the south coast, so all the smaller south coast clubs, Skates, Brighton, Bournemouth, Reading, Swindon etc. will always dislike us, and the only one we reciprocate is the Skates.

The media will call this and bournemouth a "derby" because it sells papers and gets people to tune in. Some fans of other clubs will call them derbies because that's what the media call it. Most match going fans will know that we only have one derby. A small section of bournemouth fans will get annoyed because we don't care about them. Brighton fans will be as annoyed as us because they hate Palace, and also hate the Skates.

We only have one local rivalry. A local derby and a local rivalry are not the same thing.

Most dictionaries define a derby as "a football match between two teams from the same area".

Arsenal v QPR is a derby

Bristol Rovers v Yeovil is a derby

Barcelona v Espanyol is a derby

In each case they're not each others major local rivals, but that doesn't mean they're not derby matches.

FWIW - I actually disagree that Brighton is a derby match, but that's because I don't think 65 miles apart can be counted as particularly "local".

Saints v Bournemouth is a local derby.

We only have one local rivalry. A local derby and a local rivalry are not the same thing.

Most dictionaries define a derby as "a football match between two teams from the same area".

Arsenal v QPR is a derby

Bristol Rovers v Yeovil is a derby

Barcelona v Espanyol is a derby

In each case they're not each others major local rivals, but that doesn't mean they're not derby matches.

FWIW - I actually disagree that Brighton is a derby match, but that's because I don't think 65 miles apart can be counted as particularly "local".

Saints v Bournemouth is a local derby.

Jesus we have some right nigels and nerds in our support don't we? A dictionary definition?? Wind your neck in mush. A Derby is a game with needle, it's a rivalry, it's the first fixture you look for when they come out, it's against a team or place you generally hate, it's both sets of fans upping their game and aggression from the stands.

The dictionary definition has little to nothing to do with what football fans think it is, it's just a convenient excuse for the new generation of stattos and nerds who've invaded the game to be pedants.

The important thing here is not to recognise that different people might define derby in different ways and so have a different opinion. The best way to approach this is just to just tell other people they are wrong and then insult them, for no clear reason.

Norway, that's a load of complete and utter bôllocks. ****ing moron.

If it wasn't on the coast, nobody would say it was a derby. They are no closer to us that Chelsea, Swindon, Bristol or Reading. To get there you have to drive past P**pey, Havant, Chichester, Fareham, Bognor and Worthing.

It's not a derby. It is no more a derby than Watford vs. Leicester or Bristol vs. Reading.

I can trump all those derbies, back in the day when they had a competition that mixed L2 + L3 with the 'Conference' and other decent non-league teams, Meridian TV announcer on local news, 'and in the South Coast derby it was Bournemouth 0 Dover 0' ..... it was probably one of Dover's longest away games of the season.

If you like a bit of bovver with your derby I haven't seen Blackburn/Burnley mentioned yet, that was a bubble before bubbles were invented.

And for our older viewers that don't think of Brighton as a derby you obviously weren't at the park run after the Goldstone in 1978 (?), or maybe '77? 40 years ago, where's it all gone?

Mate, the ref proper stitched them up at St Mary's. Fonte got a penalty for being fouled a full two yards out side of the box. :lol:

Mate, the ref proper stitched them up at St Mary's. Fonte got a penalty for being fouled a full two yards out side of the box. :lol:

Yes!

Did Fonte have something on refs? He seemed to get away with plenty at his own end, though unfortunately he ran out of luck at the Arse just when we needed some.

Wasn't that the game he failed to give us about 4 others? I remember at least 2 stone wallers for fouls on Lambert and a couple of other debatable ones.

Wasn't that the game he failed to give us about 4 others? I remember at least 2 stone wallers for fouls on Lambert and a couple of other debatable ones.

Yeah I think he did, he then gave us two and sent off Tarico?? That player coach that Gus had. Haha

That was fecking hilarious. I was sat right in front of it. There was a massive gauge in the pitch where the tackle happened the Brighton lad was trying to get the ref to look at but he wasn't having any of it. José just walked away trying not to laugh:lol:

I have no feeling good or bad towards Brighton and I actually like Bournemouth and occassionally go to their games, when we're away, with my bournemouth supporting friends so quite honestly, for me, niether are derbies. Outside of Saints games, I wish them well.