Brighton v Saints Match Thread

St Chalet

Bit odd how, ten games in, the manager seemingly doesn’t know his best team and doesn’t know how to get the best out of his squad.

We still look worse than we were last season. Surely, the board will expect to see some positive signs soon or they will have to take action.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Think the commentator summed it up pretty well - After we scored we changed and went defensive trying to settle for 0-1. Suicide tactics in the PL and shows a lack of understanding of the league from the manager.

We were really poor today and against any team with a bit of quality in it we would have been murdered. VVD, Tadic and Hoedt were awful. Romeu looked like the only one who gave a ****.

As commentators said at end. Go one up and Brighton look useless. What do we do? Sit back and invite them on. No killer instinct in players and manager seems to encourage it. We would have battered them with Poch in charge.

Would normally take a point away from home, huge disappointment though that having taking the lead quite fortunately MP makes us sit back and defend the lead for the rest of the match, and FF once again drops us points this season by showing what a slow and average keeper he is.

Really do not have a clue when it comes to attacking. best it ever gets is tadic trying to put a flick down the flank so cedric can try to get a cross in. no attempts do do anything through the middle.. bertrand never seemed to overlap or combine with boufal, gabbiadini totally starved of service again..

Thankfully, there are at least 8 teams in this league worse than us. Palace, Bournemouth, Swansea, West Ham, West Brom, Stoke, Huddersfield and Brighton. Possibly add Everton and Leicester to that but I reckon they'll improve, and maybe Newcastle, as they've had easy fixtures like us too.

We'll get a top half finish but I expected a lot better.

Load of rubbish, again.

As pedestrian & awful as anything Puel produced.

Tadic has had a shocking season. Absolutely rubbish, yet he stays on the park for 81 minutes.

Forster poor again.

Davis scores a good header then manages to pass to Brighton more than he does his team mates.

Manager is clueless.

Call that entertainment?

We do not look like a team at the moment, there is no fight there and no togetherness, players blaming each other, no one really busting a gut. We went 1-0 up and then the players went into cruise mode.

How the hell does Tadic stay on the pitch, Boufal wasn't great but at least he was trying to do something, all Tadic seemed to do is fall over.

Gabbi looks isolated and is feeding off scraps.

Forster is shot as a keeper, how the hell did that get in, he was already across and then just sort of fell over. It's a shame because the rest of his play was good, he caught well, came out for stuff, passed well under pressure, tried to get us going early but you have to save that.

Cedric, Hoedt, Romeu and VVD played well, everyone else was very poor. Felt sorry for Cedric having Tadic in front of him.

Oh and Redmond comes on and within minutes cuts inside and sprays a useless ball out of play then seems to blame Ward-Prowse for it.

I think I actually prefer Puel to the way this manager plays football. At least we did create chances under Puel - just couldn't convert them. We used to moan about the number of chances we were missing. What did their goalkeeper have to do in that match? Apart from the free kick and follow up goal, what else was he required to do? We created absolutely nothing else? Absolutely nothing. We are so bad to watch. Insipid, uninspired, slow football. We will get battered by the big 6 home and away. There were 3 points up for grabs today, especially after we went one up. But we sat back and invited them on. This manager will mean we will be constantly looking down this season rather than up.

We do not look like a team at the moment, there is no fight there and no togetherness, players blaming each other, no one really busting a gut. We went 1-0 up and then the players went into cruise mode.

How the hell does Tadic stay on the pitch, Boufal wasn't great but at least he was trying to do something, all Tadic seemed to do is fall over.

Gabbi looks isolated and is feeding off scraps.

Forster is shot as a keeper, how the hell did that get in, he was already across and then just sort of fell over.

Cedric, Hoedt, Romeu and VVD played well, everyone else was very poor. Felt sorry for Cedric having Tadic in front of him.

Oh and Redmond comes on and within minutes cuts inside and sprays a useless ball out of play then seems to blame Ward-Prowse for it.

agree except, Redmond was right to expect Jwp or another to make the run.

Thankfully, there are at least 8 teams in this league worse than us. Palace, Bournemouth, Swansea, West Ham, West Brom, Stoke, Huddersfield and Brighton. Possibly add Everton and Leicester to that but I reckon they'll improve, and maybe Newcastle, as they've had easy fixtures like us too.

So we should too with the squad we've got. A better manager than MP or Puel would do much better and at least we'd be much better to watch.

Reed needs retiring for his sake and ours. Did a great job but we all have a shelf life.

Absolutely laughable some people on here. I mean we got a point against a team that just smashed West Ham 3-0. I do agree that it was frustrating that we didn't go on and win the game but it's 3 unbeaten now. I wish some people would get off Fraser's back, even Thierry Henry said that it got a small deflection on its way in which it made it harder for Fraser to reach too.

Absolutely laughable some people on here. I mean we got a point against a team that just smashed West Ham 3-0. I do agree that it was frustrating that we didn't go on and win the game but it's 3 unbeaten now. I wish some people would get off Fraser's back, even Thierry Henry said that it got a small deflection on its way in which it made it harder for Fraser to reach too.
it is that we had them there for the taking,and let them take over the game

You really believe that?

Palace got a 1-0 victory against a team that have since sacked their manager and replaced him with an experienced one (though complete tosser)

Bournemouth

Swansea drew at home to them 0-0

West Ham scraped a 3-2 home win with 2 pens

West Brom wonder goal snatched the win 1-0

Stoke lost 2-1 away

Huddersfield drew 0-0 away

Brighton 1-1 away and only looked like one winner in the 2nd half and it wasn't us.

Everton

Leicester

Newcastle drew 2-2 at home had to come back twice

We will be in the bottom 5 come the end of January

Couldn't disagree more....

Stoke have played City, Chelsea, Utd, Arsenal,

WH have played spurs and utd,

West Brom have played City, Arsenal,

etc etc

We have played Utd and that is all. Yet the teams you say who are worse than us are only a few points behind us. How many points behind us do you think they will be when we get to jan 1st when we have played Liverpool away, City away, Chelsea away, Spurs away, Utd away and Arsenal at home? How many points do you think we will get from those following fixtures?

Delusion

You really believe that?

Palace got a 1-0 victory against a team that have since sacked their manager and replaced him with an experienced one (though complete tosser)

Bournemouth

Swansea drew at home to them 0-0

West Ham scraped a 3-2 home win with 2 pens

West Brom wonder goal snatched the win 1-0

Stoke lost 2-1 away

Huddersfield drew 0-0 away

Brighton 1-1 away and only looked like one winner in the 2nd half and it wasn't us.

Everton

Leicester

Newcastle drew 2-2 at home had to come back twice

We will be in the bottom 5 come the end of January

We won't be anywhere near the drop zone. We're a poor team, but other teams are much worse than us.

The board are to blame for this. Excluding the fire sales over the years, the most inexcusable decision they have made is not signing any offensive minded players last summer despite our awful goal scoring record from the previous season. To come off the end of that kind of toothlessness and only sign defenders the following window is quite frankly baffling.

They've brought in two dud managers it seems, which was particularly disappointing last year when had just come off a 6th placed finish and had European football to look forward to (the club has rarely been more attractive to potential new recruits), and to top it all off, we're forced to endure this infuriating, slow, indirect style of football which goes against every fibre of how football should be played.

We all know the obvious flaws in the 'sell best players, replace cheap' philosophy and we all know this 'Southampton way' propaganda is BS, and yet the board seem to get away with it with regular comments on this forum even going as far as to praise Les Reed for the work he's done (!) all whilst threads are discussing what manager to try next. No point painting over mold.

Delusion

No, I'm trying to look at the positives. There are two other things that I missed, we should have had more support up to Gabbi, that was clearly obvious. Also taking Boufal off, I didn't agree with as he was our main creative outlet. And obviously Lemina was a huge, huge miss.

Load of rubbish, again.

As pedestrian & awful as anything Puel produced.

Tadic has had a shocking season. Absolutely rubbish, yet he stays on the park for 81 minutes.

Forster poor again.

Davis scores a good header then manages to pass to Brighton more than he does his team mates.

Manager is clueless.

Call that entertainment?

I cannot stand Tadic.