Brighton v Saints Match Thread

St Chalet

Sums it up. I've seen almost every game so far, either on tv or live and it's been a real slog at times. I often find my mind wondering to other things and frankly thinking I have better things to do with my time. Haven't felt that way for a number of years, even when we were failing in the championship we had a fair share of excitement. Mind numbing dullness and lack of excitement is for me worse than an exciting failure.

To be honest I've felt that way about a lot of the Prenier League matches that I've seen so far. I sat through Man Utd v Spurs yesterday and nearly fell asleep.

To be honest I've felt that way about a lot of the Prenier League matches that I've seen so far. I sat through Man Utd v Spurs yesterday and nearly fell asleep.

I enjoyed Leeds v Sheff Utd on Friday evening, proper hurly burly football with a bit of ambition shown from both sides too.

I agree but I doubt that other teams have had the same level of dullness across every game like we have in the league since pretty much January. Sunderland have a good case too mind you.

I've a season ticket and shouldn't miss any games except when I'm on holiday, and I always stay to the end, but gawd, it's getting to be hard work, only alleviated by things like last week's goal.

Yesterday I started hacked off because my women's side couldn't raise a team, so I thought at least I'd be able to watch Saints at the pub. My usual place was showing the boxing, so I jogged home, got on my bicycle and rushed off to an alternative. I missed the first goal , but any hopes we'd build on it soon evaporated. Later I was muttering to myself about Forster's absolutely dire reactions and then about our pedestrian attacks and counter attacks: we play on the brakes not the break. The beer wasn't brilliant either: that, and the complete lack of excitement or tension at least saved me money by limiting my intake.

So on to the Burnley game. It could be worse, I could be a Baggies fan, but please, give us something to cheer about, something to enthuse us all.

Start Gabbiadini check

Stop playing Redmond check

Start Boufal check

What else can our forum experts offer?

Playing Boufal on the wing was nobody's solution, especially not when his two biggest contributions against West Brom came with him running through the middle. However, MP is a fundamentally conservative/cowardly manager, so he did what they always do, which is pretend that the only place you can play creative players is out wide.

I've a season ticket and shouldn't miss any games except when I'm on holiday, and I always stay to the end, but gawd, it's getting to be hard work, only alleviated by things like last week's goal.

Yesterday I started hacked off because my women's side couldn't raise a team, so I thought at least I'd be able to watch Saints at the pub. My usual place was showing the boxing, so I jogged home, got on my bicycle and rushed off to an alternative. I missed the first goal , but any hopes we'd build on it soon evaporated. Later I was muttering to myself about Forster's absolutely dire reactions and then about our pedestrian attacks and counter attacks: we play on the brakes not the break. The beer wasn't brilliant either: that, and the complete lack of excitement or tension at least saved me money by limiting my intake.

So on to the Burnley game. It could be worse, I could be a Baggies fan, but please, give us something to cheer about, something to enthuse us all.

Last season sucked all the fun and excitement out of football for me it's now quite liberating not having a season ticket or the chore of having to go to Sms every home game !

Playing Boufal on the wing was nobody's solution, especially not when his two biggest contributions against West Brom came with him running through the middle. However, MP is a fundamentally conservative/cowardly manager, so he did what they always do, which is pretend that the only place you can play creative players is out wide.

I noticed that Brighton had two wingers. Maybe the manager wanted to match them. If he did, it didn't work.

Last season sucked all the fun and excitement out of football for me it's now quite liberating not having a season ticket or the chore of having to go to Sms every home game !
It's genuinely a sad state of affairs that you feel this way but I think more are joining you. We have been spoilt over the last few years but the pendulum has swung rather far in the other direction in terms of interest and excitement. Surely the club hierarchy understand how many fans are feeling.

It's genuinely a sad state of affairs that you feel this way but I think more are joining you. We have been spoilt over the last few years but the pendulum has swung rather far in the other direction in terms of interest and excitement. Surely the club hierarchy understand how many fans are feeling.

Haven't we sold out all our home games this season? After all the people who said they weren't going to bother last season I expected SMS to be half empty this season but it seems there are plenty of others taking their place.

Haven't we sold out all our home games this season? After all the people who said they weren't going to bother last season I expected SMS to be half empty this season but it seems there are plenty of others taking their place.
That's the attraction of the Premier League but it's still a shame if long term fans and season ticket holders are being put off even if they are currently being replaced by fairweather fans. If we start doing badly again it's the proper fans you want to keep hold of.

That's the attraction of the Premier League but it's still a shame if long term fans and season ticket holders are being put off even if they are currently being replaced by fairweather fans. If we start doing badly again it's the proper fans you want to keep hold of.

But apparently our fan base is too old and middle class because they don't join in with the marvellous array of triumpant, witty tunes in the songbook.

By getting rid of these senile old ST holders we will become a vocal behemoth feared by all who oppose us.

Or something like that

Teams have too much to lose, with mega TV deals.

Hopefully the Sky/BT bubble bursts, but with Facebook/Amazon interested in the rights, I doubt it will anytime soon.

Not sure how even more competition would burst the TV bubble.

To be clear, you think season ticket holders are deserting the team in a bad patch and it's the guys who take their seats that are fairweather fans?

The club have been giving loads of tickets away to various causes.

Plus even some of the sold out games have had rows of seats empty.

And the away allocation has been increased this season.

Not sure how even more competition would burst the TV bubble.

To be clear, you think season ticket holders are deserting the team in a bad patch and it's the guys who take their seats that are fairweather fans?

No. "To be clear" I am suggesting that if those who were so worn down by our home games both this season and last season- a fair complaint given how much of a slog it has been for me either watching or going to games and I'm not at every home game- decide to go less and are subsequently replaced by fans who are largely there for the occasion or to watch the opposition then it cannot be a good thing. It's a question of priorities and if someone balances the cost of a season ticket and realises that they can no longer justify it given the lack of entertainment and dire football on offer then I would find it hard to criticise them.

Problem is that both our owners are in absentia overseas and probably not feeling the rising tide of hostility. Les Reed is left in charge of all football matters and he would presumably prefer to ignore it as it would reflect badly on him. Les's position may well be untenable if MP has to be sacked so soon after the demise of Puel. Our best hope for some positive action may be Ralph who is not involved in football per se but acts as an observer and reports back to Kat (don't know about Gao). Surely he will see the discontent among the customers and maybe start to query if Les has perhaps reached his use by date. Maybe he was seeking advice from MLT on such matters at the Brighton game?

Problem is that both our owners are in absentia overseas and probably not feeling the rising tide of hostility. Les Reed is left in charge of all football matters and he would presumably prefer to ignore it as it would reflect badly on him. Les's position may well be untenable if MP has to be sacked so soon after the demise of Puel. Our best hope for some positive action may be Ralph who is not involved in football per se but acts as an observer and reports back to Kat (don't know about Gao). Surely he will see the discontent among the customers and maybe start to query if Les has perhaps reached his use by date. Maybe he was seeking advice from MLT on such matters at the Brighton game?

That is massive speculation - Matt a club legend is always round the club, I would guess that he probably knows Ralph quite well. I'd imagine they were just generally chatting.

No. "To be clear" I am suggesting that if those who were so worn down by our home games both this season and last season- a fair complaint given how much of a slog it has been for me either watching or going to games and I'm not at every home game- decide to go less and are subsequently replaced by fans who are largely there for the occasion or to watch the opposition then it cannot be a good thing. It's a question of priorities and if someone balances the cost of a season ticket and realises that they can no longer justify it given the lack of entertainment and dire football on offer then I would find it hard to criticise them.

Tbf it wasn't just the fact going to St Marys felt like it became a chore having to sit through dire foitball week in week out that did it for me , I missed a few games due to work and other commitments and call it petty the fact there was no loyalty discount for renewals just a flat rate for old and new season ticket holders it made me feel that even though I've had mine for over a decade being a season ticket holder doesn't really mean what it used to!

You sound exasperatted mate same as many more on this forum or indeed not just fans.The lack of direction and momentum to get forward quickly ,lets face it we have 2-3 very quick wingers but no end product.Why is it Cedric crosses the ball but its mostly overhit and awful.Then JWP every bloody comentator keeps spouting on about set play dead ball situations, christ were turning into american football special teams.NO.The manager is he at fault?the team huddle before the kick off , right lads were at home today lets see if we can score or shall we wait for Dave watson to show us a tactical guide as to where to play .NO.FFS were 2-3 down maybe just go out and score simple as no need to flip chart where the bloody goal is eh? rant over of to scramble some pixels on battlefield 1........boom headshot.