Brighton v Saints Match Thread

St Chalet

I didn’t realise there were so many pro Puel posters on here or is there a lot of revisionism going on?

Check my posts. No revisionism. Not sure how many away games you went to last season in league and league cup but it was way better than this

I didn’t realise there were so many pro Puel posters on here or is there a lot of revisionism going on?
Probably shows just how bad MP is, if Puel is getting a second look. Still a big no from me.

I'm holding out for Leicester to buy Tadic

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

The side just lacks the quality to make things happen. Too many average players and not enough spark.

It happens when you sell off the stars and don't adequately replace.

Players have nothing really to play for. No-one to get behind and try to build. No ambition shown by the club.

No wonder VVD wanted to leave.

Really is this - much more than the qualities of Puel or MP as Managers/Coaches.

This game was weird, in so many ways.

We are mid-table and have to get a 1st team and style sorted before the FA Cup.

8-ish weeks to see what a pellegrino team looks like imo.

We’re only mid table because we’ve had the easiest run of fixtures in living memory, our true position is way lower.

Some of these players need a rocket up their arse but what I'd like most is to understand how we're trying to play the game as right now it appears they are just sent out there and asked to get on with it.
Pretty much this, but.. you can hardly blame them.

Guess what? A quarter of the season done and dusted and the club is going to end up anywhere from 7th to 17th...and the players know that.

i get that players can/will/should play for pride, but that is all there is left to play for this season after 10 matches.

Disgusting!!!!!!!! If overreacting got a prize..... This one's the outright winner

Our performance was ordinary because we are ordinary.....

Yes it was disgusting.

Another terminology is "Utter Turd", which also lends itself to your relentless inability to offer any viewpoint of your own apart from attention seeking on the back of other's comments.

Feckin tiresome.

So sick of watching it. You know if we score early, that's it, we'll sit back and won't have another effort on goal. Little different from the Palace or Stoke games. Have most the ball, score 1 in each and the result completely comes down to whether the opposition can hit the target.

I can handle being rubbish but we aren't. We're cautious, scared to attack. There's plenty of talent in there, but we just sit in and pass backwards. Really can't stand watching our football. Feel sorry for Gabbiadini. Fans of other clubs ask why he's turned rubbish because they don't watch and just see he hasn't scored. Works hard, makes the runs and doesn't get the ball. Just stranded up there.

You can tell a decent attacking manager could energise this group and get them playing so differently. Depressing to hear all the excuses, and any pundit or fan not paying attention can just blame the sales of players. Completely irrelevant unless we're getting everything we can out of this group. If you think that's all any manager could get out of this squad then you can't have been watching long.

Boufal must play behind the striker. He's the only one who can go either way, pass or shoot with either foot. If you're starting him left midfield in a defensive set up, why bother picking him? Tadic has been dire for so long and slows us down now. But we'll just keep switching them round, trying the same negative crap and wondering why it doesn't go right.

No point moaning about Forster each week, we know his weaknesses and they won't change, he's just a very, very slow goalkeeper. More than his weaknesses, the punditry annoys me citing his previous great form. None of them actually pointing out that the vast majority of clean sheets in the last couple of years were due to next to no shots going on target.

Very much this

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Very much this

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Just what I wanted to say but couldn't be bothered and that's the most worrying thing - that the way we play now is testing my passion....I can accept Saints being not very good and have done so frequently through the years when we didn't have the players or resources but at least we had passion and gave it a go to the limits we had. I simply cannot embrace what we have become, when we could be so much better or at least try to be a little positive and entertaining.

when we did 't have the players or resources

Not a good post match OS interview from the manager...body language is saying I am defeated and he doesn't say much to be positive. He is on his way out! New owners will not put up with this after such a big investment. Shame I wanted him to be successful, after all he talks a good game but does not deliver it on the pitch.

So hard to watch saints at the moment. Just dont understand our approach. Going forward we are too slow. No pressing when defending and just happy to offer space all round the pitch. Its like we're saving energy for a rainy day. Sort it out MP!!!

Watching motd2 and pundits are finally realising how negative and toothless we are. Jenas also questioning Forster for the goal which is good to see. Needs to be dropped.

So sick of watching it. You know if we score early, that's it, we'll sit back and won't have another effort on goal. Little different from the Palace or Stoke games. Have most the ball, score 1 in each and the result completely comes down to whether the opposition can hit the target.

I can handle being rubbish but we aren't. We're cautious, scared to attack. There's plenty of talent in there, but we just sit in and pass backwards. Really can't stand watching our football. Feel sorry for Gabbiadini. Fans of other clubs ask why he's turned rubbish because they don't watch and just see he hasn't scored. Works hard, makes the runs and doesn't get the ball. Just stranded up there.

You can tell a decent attacking manager could energise this group and get them playing so differently. Depressing to hear all the excuses, and any pundit or fan not paying attention can just blame the sales of players. Completely irrelevant unless we're getting everything we can out of this group. If you think that's all any manager could get out of this squad then you can't have been watching long.

Boufal must play behind the striker. He's the only one who can go either way, pass or shoot with either foot. If you're starting him left midfield in a defensive set up, why bother picking him? Tadic has been dire for so long and slows us down now. But we'll just keep switching them round, trying the same negative crap and wondering why it doesn't go right.

No point moaning about Forster each week, we know his weaknesses and they won't change, he's just a very, very slow goalkeeper. More than his weaknesses, the punditry annoys me citing his previous great form. None of them actually pointing out that the vast majority of clean sheets in the last couple of years were due to next to no shots going on target.

This

Well that was desperate and very worrying.

Brighton are bang average but by the end deserved a win.

Slow slow boring football. Probably have enough to avoid relegation this year, but next year could be painful.

I really didn't like Puel and MP can do one as well. Saints fans aren't daft we know our limitations, top half, possibly Europe, the odd cup run, that's our ambition (for the moment ).

However above all else good football is essential. Passion, drive, pace, the occasional shot maybe. Something to suggest that the big sides will be nervous playing Saints.

At the moment Saints are predictable and too easily out thought and out fought.

Solution

Drop Tadic

Play McQueen in front of Bertrand

Play just 3 out of Romeu Lemina Davis PJH jwp

Play Stephens at right back as Cedric is being targeted every game now.

Buy a target man

Beef up the team

Double training to get fit Poch style

Fine them a week's wages for passing backwards or sideways unless genuinely forced to do so.

Each player must have at least 3 shots per game

Play the game at pace and with a bit of style. Be brave.

We may lose some games but bet we win a few more as well.

Anything really as I'm fed up with this.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Apparently that wasn't good enough last season.

A really good post. What worries me most about MP is he can't see the need to play Boufal behind the striker, not out wide. He can't see that Forster is a terrible goal keeper and he has shown too much faith in the likes of Tadic, Redmond, Long and Ward-Prowse. The Manager has to change things, otherwise he will be/should be looking for another job.

Check my posts. No revisionism. Not sure how many away games you went to last season in league and league cup but it was way better than this

Well the three away games in Europe left me distinctly unimpressed. Listen I am not sticking up for MoPe, he’s no better than Puel. Both men should not have been appointed and questions should be asked about Reed’s competence.

Very impressive well thought through post.

This ^^^

Poetry my man. I do not bash my beloved Saints, I have seen us at our worst, and loved us at our best, but! this is hard to watch football. The only manager, who's head I have called for, was Branfoot, but this guy needs to be gone. Worst error imho, was playing Boufal wide, we are crying out for attacking flair in the centre, and he plays the one player capable of it, wide! Also, why switch back to this formation, the diamond gave us hope for one game. Slate me! but Davis causes a lot of our non-attacking problems, like Tadic JWP etc, he so often receives a ball, takes a couple of steps, then lays it back to a player further back than the one he received it from.

Like others, I'd say we have some good players, but they are scared to play as they can, why? Whilst not advocating relegation, I do fear this will be a season of struggle under this man, we have some hard games coming up, and could be in a confidence sapping bottom of the table fight come Christmas.

Agree that we could be better with some decent management. We look poor, devoid of ideas and so pedestrian from the start of each game. Then Pelligrino seemingly has absolutely no idea how to change a game from the bench, just making like for like changes far too late in the game. Uninspiring to say the least. I really hope we don’t have to watch this for a whole season or more.

On a positive not, Hoedt acquitted himself very well and deserves a run in the side. I thought we looked more solid and less panic stricken at the back under pressure. Tough on Maya but sometimes you have to be cruel in life so at least Pellegrino grasped this particular nettle.

Not sure why van Dyke left Cedric to mark Murray fromm that cross, he was standing next to both and could and should have taken responsibility for the cross instead of leaving it to a guy who had no hope of out-reaching their striker in a heading duel. Forster was just plain ball watching obviously expecting the ball to be headed clear. No what-if's in his mind, is he very bright?

Said it a couple of weeks ago and have been thinking it for the last month, this guy is out of his depth, a rabbit caught in the headlights. I think it would be a kind mercy to let him go now and give Saints as much time as possible to repair the damage. He's wrecking morale and confidence.

I do not subscribe to the theory that our players aren't good enough, that's just an excuse for dismal negative management. Sure we're not champs league but those players are way better than our performances suggest. If we had a manager with a positive mentality you'd see a big change in performances almost immediately.

If MP has absolutely no interest in playing entertaining football then why wait?

Yes it was disgusting.

Another terminology is "Utter Turd", which also lends itself to your relentless inability to offer any viewpoint of your own apart from attention seeking on the back of other's comments.

Feckin tiresome.

Turd..indeed you are..... so as it also seems as though you cannot read i will post my view again for you..

Our performance was ordinary because we are ordinary.....

I just don`t feel the need to go completely overboard about the game and pleased that others post how it actually is without the need to post stupidly ott like batman..

Ok Billy boy... ?

On a positive not, Hoedt acquitted himself very well and deserves a run in the side. I thought we looked more solid and less panic stricken at the back under pressure. Tough on Maya but sometimes you have to be cruel in life so at least Pellegrino grasped this particular nettle.

Not sure why van Dyke left Cedric to mark Murray fromm that cross, he was standing next to both and could and should have taken responsibility for the cross instead of leaving it to a guy who had no hope of out-reaching their striker in a heading duel. Forster was just plain ball watching obviously expecting the ball to be headed clear. No what-if's in his mind, is he very bright?

VVD was marking the centre of the goal, and normally that is fine.Murray did what RL used to do and play on the full back

VVD was marking the centre of the goal, and normally that is fine.Murray did what RL used to do and play on the full back

Glad someone else mentioned that, I thought it was just me having an SRL deja vu when that murray header went in :D

Went yesterday and like every other game I have been to this season... god it was boring. We were so flat, pedestrian, average and uninspiring. It was interesting in second half how quiet the fans were, looking around everyone looked so bored.

That Brighton team was crap, we should be taking them to the sword. Something isn't right.

Jenas and Lurch (sorry) Phil Neville just smashed the nail on the head on motd2.

Pretty much summed us up, nice team good players, well coached........ "but just let them off the leash to create something"

For once I agreed with their analysis of us. Well coached but perhaps over-coached. Far too rigid.

Went yesterday and like every other game I have been to this season... god it was boring. We were so flat, pedestrian, average and uninspiring. It was interesting in second half how quiet the fans were, looking around everyone looked so bored.

That Brighton team was crap, we should be taking them to the sword. Something isn't right.

Sums it up. I've seen almost every game so far, either on tv or live and it's been a real slog at times. I often find my mind wondering to other things and frankly thinking I have better things to do with my time. Haven't felt that way for a number of years, even when we were failing in the championship we had a fair share of excitement. Mind numbing dullness and lack of excitement is for me worse than an exciting failure.

This ^^^

Poetry my man. I do not bash my beloved Saints, I have seen us at our worst, and loved us at our best, but! this is hard to watch football. The only manager, who's head I have called for, was Branfoot, but this guy needs to be gone. Worst error imho, was playing Boufal wide, we are crying out for attacking flair in the centre, and he plays the one player capable of it, wide! Also, why switch back to this formation, the diamond gave us hope for one game. Slate me! but Davis causes a lot of our non-attacking problems, like Tadic JWP etc, he so often receives a ball, takes a couple of steps, then lays it back to a player further back than the one he received it from.

Like others, I'd say we have some good players, but they are scared to play as they can, why? Whilst not advocating relegation, I do fear this will be a season of struggle under this man, we have some hard games coming up, and could be in a confidence sapping bottom of the table fight come Christmas.

Yep, I would agree as well. It's as boring as watching Branfoot's teams from March onwards and playing Boufal out wide was lunacy, felt a bit sorry for the player. Tadic also looks lost in that formation and style of play, look at how much more effective he is for Serbia. Wouldn't fancy being Gabbiadini and trying to exist off starvation rations, and play is so pathetically slow that by the time anyone tries to find him, if they bother, he's got 3 defenders on him.

We do have good players and they are being forced into a corporate straitjacket. I would look fed up and bored, and then if I was the skipper I'd say 'come on lads, we're a high tempo team. Let's do what we do best' and stuff the manager if he was out of his depth.

Normally I agree with K Billy (on the MP Thread) but not this time. Yes, our options up front are limited but even then, Gabbi and Long could produce more than they are with midfielders pushing on beyond them and breaking opposition lines. Higher tempo and mixing up our deliveries would also encourage the movement that Gabbiadini thrived on initially. Puel lost the plot and went back to Barclays Walking Football, having cracked it for a few games with higher tempo stuff, and now MP doesn't seem to be able to rip up the corporate template either, which makes me wonder if he is actually in charge or not.

To all of the people saying we shouldn't have sacked Puel (not you GLT), I would say:

1) Were SFC any better Aug-Dec or March-May last term? We all know the answer and it isn't yes...

2) Puel has had ONE game at Leicester. Even he won't implement Walking Football straight away and maybe he's learned from being foolishly inflexible at SFC? Heck, even Sturrock won his opening game 2-0 v Liverpool.

The thing I noticed was the fact that we do not seem to win any 50-50 balls in the middle of the pitch. Brighton picked up pretty much every loose ball and used it much better than we did, especially in the 2nd half. I thought our defence looked pretty solid, except for the goal which was just a shambles. Really think Forster should've saved it, it was such a weak header. Think the comments on MOTD2 also were spot on. We just don't take any risks at all. Boufal should be in the middle of the pitch, behind 2 strikers each making runs. Whenever we cross a ball into the box, there is never anyone there. We need to commit to a win and throw people forward. Our defence is strong enough that the other 5 midfielders and strikers should all be pushing forward and getting into the box. Invariably it is usually only a winger crossing into a box devoid of any Saints players. We are so slow and ponderous it is unbelievable. We never attack with pace and whenever we do get a breakaway, there is never anyone taking a risk, so we have to go backwards. It needs sorting out and I have a feeling that Burnley might be a turning point for us, though that could be wishful thinking!

The thing I noticed was the fact that we do not seem to win any 50-50 balls in the middle of the pitch. Brighton picked up pretty much every loose ball and used it much better than we did, especially in the 2nd half. I thought our defence looked pretty solid, except for the goal which was just a shambles. Really think Forster should've saved it, it was such a weak header. Think the comments on MOTD2 also were spot on. We just don't take any risks at all. Boufal should be in the middle of the pitch, behind 2 strikers each making runs. Whenever we cross a ball into the box, there is never anyone there. We need to commit to a win and throw people forward. Our defence is strong enough that the other 5 midfielders and strikers should all be pushing forward and getting into the box. Invariably it is usually only a winger crossing into a box devoid of any Saints players. We are so slow and ponderous it is unbelievable. We never attack with pace and whenever we do get a breakaway, there is never anyone taking a risk, so we have to go backwards. It needs sorting out and I have a feeling that Burnley might be a turning point for us, though that could be wishful thinking!

That's what Lemina brings to the party

Start Gabbiadini check

Stop playing Redmond check

Start Boufal check

What else can our forum experts offer?

You missed 'drop Yoshida' for a full house. And the bonus ball of having Austin nowhere near the match day squad too.

Shuffle the deckchairs, or the manager, but we're still just a bit one-paced, not very fit and not particularly bothered in the main.

Those long contracts not looking quite so enticing now are they.

You missed 'drop Yoshida' for a full house. And the bonus ball of having Austin nowhere near the match day squad too.

Shuffle the deckchairs, or the manager, but we're still just a bit one-paced, not very fit and not particularly bothered in the main.

Those long contracts not looking quite so enticing now are they.

Austin was injured.