January 18 transfer window

SKD

At the end of the day, no one will sign for us unless we put in some sort of relegation release clause in- we are far too down the league table to look attractive right now.

I can bet Les is probably offering contracts that mean the players wages get cut by 50% if relegated but offers no way out when we inevitability go down! Which rational player would even want to sign such a contract?!?!

Cam I just check, as the dumb supporter alarm has gone off, you aren’t seriously suggesting that we should NOT put a wage cut in players contracts in event of relegation? Really? If so I will put you in touch with a couple of clubs called Pompey and Leeds for some advice.....

Cam I just check, as the dumb supporter alarm has gone off, you aren’t seriously suggesting that we should NOT put a wage cut in players contracts in event of relegation? Really? If so I will put you in touch with a couple of clubs called Pompey and Leeds for some advice.....

Southampton are bound to have wage cuts for going down the leagues for all contracts.

He wasn't just saying that, he meant any contract also needs a release clause in the event of relegation to persuade any half-decent player to sign for us.

We need a good keeper. Can give you 5 points a season

Personally I've not been totally convinced by McCarthy. Small sample size of course. We really do need to upgrade, but I have raised this questions before, can clubs like Saints revamp squads by offloading players they don't fancy or can they merely bring players in when others are bought (because they are good) or contracts come to an end?

Personally I've not been totally convinced by McCarthy. Small sample size of course. We really do need to upgrade, but I have raised this questions before, can clubs like Saints revamp squads by offloading players they don't fancy or can they merely bring players in when others are bought (because they are good) or contracts come to an end?

With 12 clubs in 10 years totalling 153 games over half of which came in two seasons supports your view I would say. He's a step up from FF but then so would pretty much anyone be but he's clearly not the long term solution.

With 12 clubs in 10 years totalling 153 games over half of which came in two seasons supports your view I would say. He's a step up from FF but then so would pretty much anyone be but he's clearly not the long term solution.

Hopefully Harry Lewis is ! Getting some good experience north of the border .

I think Sims would make all the difference right now.

I'd like to see him in that right wide spot JWP has been occupying. Hesketh could also be effective playing in and around Gabbi and Boufal with protection from Lemina and Hojbjerg. It's a bit of left field thinking (or right in this case) that's going to free up our turgid attacking play.

I'd like to see him in that right wide spot JWP has been occupying. Hesketh could also be effective playing in and around Gabbi and Boufal with protection from Lemina and Hojbjerg. It's a bit of left field thinking (or right in this case) that's going to free up our turgid attacking play.

Like the sounds of this

Am I alone in not especially seeing the hype around Sims?

Promising debut and a couple of good cameos mixed in with some very raw stuff but nothing to show he should be a regular PL starter IMO.

A loan move to L1 or Championship would be the best outcome for him in this window - then if he excels at that level consider him for next season.

Promising debut and a couple of good cameos mixed in with some very raw stuff but nothing to show he should be a regular PL starter IMO.

A loan move to L1 or Championship would be the best outcome for him in this window - then if he excels at that level consider him for next season.

If he was breaking through a couple of years ago I’d probably agree, but the fact he seems willing to run at people and take them on means he shares that attribute potentially just with Boufal - we’re after some sort of excitement and that may be the closest thing at present!

I'll take up your question about Sims. I see him playing wide right where JWP has been playing regularly - without much impact in my opinion. Sims would add pace and width which we get with Boufal and Bertrand, but don't get with JWP and Stephens/Cedric. Do you really think that passage of play at Anfield resulting in Sims playing in Long to wrap up the game didn't stamp him as PL ready?

I'll take up your question about Sims. I see him playing wide right where JWP has been playing regularly - without much impact in my opinion. Sims would add pace and width which we get with Boufal and Bertrand, but don't get with JWP and Stephens/Cedric. Do you really think that passage of play at Anfield resulting in Sims playing in Long to wrap up the game didn't stamp him as PL ready?

I think that is Cedric's strength !

I think that is Cedric's strength !

Yes, I grant you Cedric is good bombing forward with pace and width, even if his crossing is hit and miss, but what value does JWP offer with Cedric? We don't get the run and interplay Boufal and Bertrand offer on the opposite flank. So I'm saying let's team up Cedric with someone like Sims - more pace and width and plenty of run from both.

It was a great run against Liverpool and he did well versus Everton, absolutely. I also saw him come on in a few games, especially away at Palace, and give the ball away a lot and look a bit out of his depth.

He may well make it and it would be great to see him on loan in L1 or Champ to see how he goes.

There are countless examples of players who briefly shine at PL level and thats the best they ever manage (transfer tipster Leandre Griffit being one), so Im not sure a.) Sims is better than the players we already have in his position (even if they are boo boy targets) and b.) you chuck in youngsters in a relegation battle.

Let him develop on loan in a confident L1 side backed by a positove support rather than a toxic SMS in the glare of negativity.

Sims rated very highly by club, so much in fact they even housed him in a club property right next door to Danny Butterfield again in another club property.

Sims will be back, he’s just being nursed through a bad injury and needs time

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Shocking that we’ve not signed a goal scorer at this point in the season. I truly think we’re strong candidates for the drop now thanks to the creeping ineptitude of the transfer committee (Les et al). We’ve sold all our best assets on and off the field, we’re an unfashionable club and us going down would make great news for many in the media. You can see the headlines...

“Saints fall, rise and fall...again”.

Shocking that we’ve not signed a goal scorer at this point in the season. I truly think we’re strong candidates for the drop now thanks to the creeping ineptitude of the transfer committee (Les et al). We’ve sold all our best assets on and off the field, we’re an unfashionable club and us going down would make great news for many in the media. You can see the headlines...

“Saints fall, rise and fall...again”.

You think then that Les and Co are just sitting around doing nothing? I really cannot believe how naive some people are about these things. Given the market and how agents manipulate it I can imagine it must be highly complex to push any deal through.

Sims has potential you saw that during his debut.

Problem was Puel then benched him and on his return he was obsessed (like most of the team under Puel) eith going backwards and sideways rather than his natural instinct to attack.

Could take a while to un-teach that nonsense

You think then that Les and Co are just sitting around doing nothing? I really cannot believe how naive some people are about these things. Given the market and how agents manipulate it I can imagine it must be highly complex to push any deal through.

Can’t stand the heat get out the kitchen. Reed has drained the club dry and appointed poorly in Puel and MP after driving away our best manager for years. He’s lived off the legacy set up by Marcus and Cortese and over the last 4 years allowed excellent back room staff to leave and not replaced players of equal quality and/or in the right positions. He is fast becoming the new Lowe in creating the toxic atmosphere around the club. Perhaps he’s been steered by Katerina and Krueger, who knows...but he cannot dodge the bullet in the part he’s played.

The plot has been lost big time and time has run out to turn it around, baring a minor miracle (a win). Lose today and the life rafts will need to be prepared!

Can’t stand the heat get out the kitchen. Reed has drained the club dry and appointed poorly in Puel and MP after driving away our best manager for years. He’s lived off the legacy set up by Marcus and Cortese and over the last 4 years allowed excellent back room staff to leave and not replaced players of equal quality and/or in the right positions. He is fast becoming the new Lowe in creating the toxic atmosphere around the club. Perhaps he’s been steered by Katerina and Krueger, who knows...but he cannot dodge the bullet in the part he’s played.

The plot has been lost big time and time has run out to turn it around, baring a minor miracle (a win). Lose today and the life rafts will need to be prepared!

I am with Mono Saint you seem delusional to me just stop whinging and support the club people like year are a disgrace as you have little idea of how SFC is run and its values

ROBIN RETURN?

Former Arsenal and Manchester United striker Robin van Persie is set to return to Feyenoord, reports Algemeen Dagblad.

The 34-year-old, who is under contract at Fenerbahce until the end of the season, is set to terminate his deal in order to push through his return to the Eredivisie champions.

According to Algemeen Dagblad, Van Persie, who spent five years at Feyenoord before joining Arsenal in 2004, will undergo a medical on Saturday.

Go on Saints, get him in for the rest of the season - surely we can beat Feyenord to his signature?

ROBIN RETURN?

Former Arsenal and Manchester United striker Robin van Persie is set to return to Feyenoord, reports Algemeen Dagblad.

The 34-year-old, who is under contract at Fenerbahce until the end of the season, is set to terminate his deal in order to push through his return to the Eredivisie champions.

According to Algemeen Dagblad, Van Persie, who spent five years at Feyenoord before joining Arsenal in 2004, will undergo a medical on Saturday.

Go on Saints, get him in for the rest of the season - surely we can beat Feyenord to his signature?

Jeez we are getting desperate...

Need a CB for me. Hoedt and Stephens, in fact Yoshida as well, are too similar. Hoedt and Stephens particularly, good on the ball, quite 'leggy' to watch and not strong or powerful enough.

We need a beast of a CB to play alongside Hoedt, I'm upset the club don't feel the same and clearly haven't since last January. This is the clearest example of downgrading a team as you'll likely to see.

The VVD money needs spending, we're getting desperate now.

It’s a change of manager we need more. 3 of our most expensive (and talented) players started on the bench today in favour of workhorses. Even if we sign more expensive players, under the current manager they’ll only end up on the bench anyway.

Sack the manager, and I mean now, and bring in the new manager this week (anyone could do a better job surely) and give the new man the money to spend. (His players, not Reed’s or the Black box’s.)

Sounds like a great time to spend, when desperate and when other club's won't let anyone decent go. Excellent.

I mean, having an 8th/9th quality squad hurtling towards relegation...just what quality would we need to stay up? A top 4 squad?

If you think we've got a 8th or 9th quality squad you're ****ing deluded.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It was the manager yet again that was the problem today, not the players. He had a good set of players 2-0 up playing well and decided to be ridiculously defensive from the 1st minute of the second half inviting pressure.

He didn’t decide to be defensive. They stuck some units on at half time, stepped it up a gear and exposed our physically weak CB’s and generally small side. MP didn’t react but that’s not to say we came out defensive, Watford dictated the game and pushed us back.