January 18 transfer window

SKD

I guess the club think McQueen is a better option as back up to Bertrand then.

Pretty close, imo. I tend to regard Targett as the better defender (although if I recall correctly, you'd disagree with that(?)), and McQueen the better attacker. That being said, if Targett is on 45k :uhoh: :scared: then I'd rather some of that was off the books elsewhere and that he came back justifying the wage (not that it affects me whatsoever, admittedly :D )

P.S Long-term, I'd back McQueen (with his extra pace and physicality).

Edited by Donatello

Pretty close, imo. I tend to regard Targett as the better defender (although if I recall correctly, you'd disagree with that(?)), and McQueen the better attacker. That being said, if Targett is on 45k :uhoh: :scared: then I'd rather some of that was off the books elsewhere and that he came back justifying the wage (not that it affects me whatsoever, admittedly :D )

P.S Long-term, I'd back McQueen (with his extra pace and physicality).

Thing is despite the changes in style and managers one thing that hasn't changed over recent seasons is our reliance on full backs getting forward and attacking something Targetts lack of pace let's him down on imo.

I guess the club think McQueen is a better option as back up to Bertrand then.

Better for now yes. I think the club probably rate Targett higher but they recognise McQueen has had experience on loan already and Targett hasn't. Regular football will only do him good and the club good next year.

To be honest, I think Targett's delivery from out wide is very similar to JWP's, he's very good going forward if he doesn't have to beat a man.

His problem seems to be stiffness and lack of agility/balance rather than anything else. He's not slow, but he's not the fastest either. He seems to have difficulty shifting his weight quickly and adjusting to opponents movements when dealing with 1 on 1 situations, either attacking or defending.

McQueen is quite agile, and much, much better with the ball at his feet. Don't think his crossing is anywhere near as good, though.

His positioning isn't as good as Targett's, but he is able to compensate for that by keeping his balance and changing his body shape quickly in response to the movement of an attacker.

Targett gone on loan to Fulham for the rest of the season.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Didn't someone suggest this move was linked to us buYing their young right back? If so, any news on that? Also, with sessegnon there I'm not sure how much game time targett will get ... unless sessegnon is off somewhere?

Didn't someone suggest this move was linked to us buYing their young right back? If so, any news on that? Also, with sessegnon there I'm not sure how much game time targett will get ... unless sessegnon is off somewhere?

Apparently they want to play Sessengon as a winger so I guess they want a solid full back behind him to allow him to get forward.

Apparently they want to play Sessengon as a winger so I guess they want a solid full back behind him to allow him to get forward.

Ok, fair enough - thanks. Let's hope he does play, will be good to see if he really does have a future with us. And seeing as we'll be in the championship next season it's the right level to test him at!!

Why is he still here?! ��

Because he is on a good wage he would struggle to get elsewhere.

I'm considering telling on social network to remind him he is a footballer and that his objective is to play and not be out of first team picture for the past three years.

Reminds me of someone who is just content on not working and picking up his benefits.

What a way to contribute!

Because he is on a good wage he would struggle to get elsewhere.

I'm considering telling on social network to remind him he is a footballer and that his objective is to play and not be out of first team picture for the past three years.

Reminds me of someone who is just content on not working and picking up his benefits.

What a way to contribute!

I'm sure he'd rather be playing. I've met him and he seems like a decent and sensible guy. He's not flashy or a Billy big-balls and I bet he's gutted over how the last couple of years have gone.

Well' date=' given Promes played in a friendly in Dubai earlier today, I’d give it a few hours... :)[/quote']

Don't be ridiculous. How could he play in a friendly in Dubai when he was being shown around the ground yesterday FFS??

Been told tomorrow, who knows perhaps this was who he said was shown round! He was telling the truth all along - just a bit early.

I hope so anyway we were crying out for some pace today. Numerous times Tadic was slid through without a hope of getting on the end of it.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

:lol: ITK status lasted less than a day.

Been told tomorrow, who knows perhaps this was who he said was shown round! He was telling the truth all along - just a bit early.

I hope so anyway we were crying out for some pace today. Numerous times Tadic was slid through without a hope of getting on the end of it.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

What is interesting, is that from Alwight's entire post history (well i quickly skimmed back to 2015), there isn't a single in the know snippet... and some weird claim that we were going to sign Bitton.

I think we all know that we will probably sign this Carillo fella and we will hear reports of deparately trying so sign promes all the way up to the last day. Then we will get the tweet from Blackmore that our bsuiness is all done tonight on the last day.

By all means manage your own expectations, but please refrain from managing mine. I remain optimistic.

He’s 31. Blimey

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Experience, leadership and probably available for only a couple of million. Not bad on those fronts - but am I reading that right that he was part of the Blackburn side that got RELEGATED from the CHAMPIONSHIP? I'm sceptical he's good enough if that's true, and the article seems to be implying clubs are looking at him just because of his goal record...

I would love us to find an experienced gem from the lower leagues who becomes a cult hero. This generations Chris Marsden, even.

Promes, Carillo and Mulgrew...i'd be OK with that.

Experience, leadership and probably available for only a couple of million. Not bad on those fronts - but am I reading that right that he was part of the Blackburn side that got RELEGATED from the CHAMPIONSHIP? I'm sceptical he's good enough if that's true, and the article seems to be implying clubs are looking at him just because of his goal record...

I would love us to find an experienced gem from the lower leagues who becomes a cult hero. This generations Chris Marsden, even.

Promes, Carillo and Mulgrew...i'd be OK with that.

Schneiderlin got relegated from the Championship. He obviously grew a lot as a player afterwards but I wouldn't focus on that. That said, no idea whether he is any good or not!

Schneiderlin got relegated from the Championship. He obviously grew a lot as a player afterwards but I wouldn't focus on that. That said, no idea whether he is any good or not!

Schneiderlin and Lallana did, yes...but both as 18/19 year olds. If the club think he can be a leader for us at the back I will support the decision and support him, I just wonder whether this is his agent using his recent goal record to get his players name out there for a big payday in the waning years of his career.

I haven't been on here for ages. I see it's not changed much. Scrolling through pages and pages of bickering dominating the content of the small morsels of transfer news. Never mind.

Conversely to the rumour I posted about a new manager right at the end of the window so we won't be able to make any signings (which I don't want to be true), it's worth considering that Jeremy Wilson is Reed's leak at the Daily Telegraph so I have done a full u-turn and have a lot more belief in this rumour now.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2018/01/20/mauricio-pellegrino-focus-southampton-long-term/

I know it's not transfer related but I thought the team did well Sunday. The fans not so well. Booing Tadic when he had an usually good game and booing that manager for subs? Come on! Cos the fans have inside knowledge of a player's fitness/health/fatigue or a hard endurance midfield position and style like Lemina plays doesn't take its toll. He may have just run himself out and signalled or fitness may have been suffering as he was out of the squad for a while with injury. There are things wrong with the club and something intrinsic and an endemic problem from board level throughout that isn't quite right but don't become mindless and boo everything. Tactics were good Sunday but it may be a sad case of too little too late. I'm not a fan of MP but still. Good performance.

I haven't been on here for ages. I see it's not changed much. Scrolling through pages and pages of bickering dominating the content of the small morsels of transfer news. Never mind.

Conversely to the rumour I posted about a new manager right at the end of the window so we won't be able to make any signings (which I don't want to be true), it's worth considering that Jeremy Wilson is Reed's leak at the Daily Telegraph so I have done a full u-turn and have a lot more belief in this rumour now.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2018/01/20/mauricio-pellegrino-focus-southampton-long-term/

I know it's not transfer related but I thought the team did well Sunday. The fans not so well. Booing Tadic when he had an usually good game and booing that manager for subs? Come on! Cos the fans have inside knowledge of a player's fitness/health/fatigue or a hard endurance midfield position and style like Lemina plays doesn't take its toll. He may have just run himself out and signalled or fitness may have been suffering as he was out of the squad for a while with injury. There are things wrong with the club and something intrinsic and an endemic problem from board level throughout that isn't quite right but don't become mindless and boo everything. Tactics were good Sunday but it may be a sad case of too little too late. I'm not a fan of MP but still. Good performance.

What rumour is this?

I think we all know that we will probably sign this Carillo fella and we will hear reports of deparately trying so sign promes all the way up to the last day. Then we will get the tweet from Blackmore that our bsuiness is all done tonight on the last day.

Carrillo is on Monaco's injured list. Whether he's actually injured or not I just couldn't say.

Just heard that Andre Schurrle is available on loan for 18 months for £70k a week (half his wages at Dortmund).

Yes please. Always liked him at Chelsea, a fantastic combo of grit and flair.

Can't believe he's still only 27. He always reminded me of a German version of Juan Mata.

Ha and they complained about us over pricing VVD no one is surely going to take a punt on the sick note for 50 million?

Just £10m per goal over the last year and a half then.

Les, if you're reading this I'm available on a free and will happily sit on the physio table for £80kpw.

What booing?

There wasn’t any.
Only booing I heard was for the refs failure to produce a yellow card for dembele for most the game. Was thinking our fans were right behind the team all things considered (and I was watching on tv)

Sent from my F8331 using Tapatalk

What do we think the chances of the currently linked names are?

I reckon:

Carrillo - 7/10

Promes - 4/10

Another different wide player - 5/10

VVD replacement - 1/10

Hope whoever joins they are in to be available vs Brighton. Even if from bench it would be a big lift.

Only booing I heard was for the refs failure to produce a yellow card for dembele for most the game. Was thinking our fans were right behind the team all things considered (and I was watching on tv)

I didn’t hear any booing but I was shouting at the ref esp as he booked one of ours for virtually his first foul but dembele got away with loads of fouls before the ref booked him.

I didn’t hear any booing but I was shouting at the ref esp as he booked one of ours for virtually his first foul but dembele got away with loads of fouls before the ref booked him.
Ah the shouts mustve been what I was hearing through the TV.