January 18 transfer window

SKD

An ITK claim on the Reddit forum is that Saints will be signing RB Ryan Fredericks of Fulham, with Targett going the other way on loan. The fee is not yet agreed.

I’m not sure what to make of this, since the club only seems to be considering attacking options according to its media mouthpiece in the Telegraph if I recall, but there seems to be a bit of a need for depth at RB as Pied’s contract winds down.

Fredericks was speculated as a Swansea/Stoke target last week by the Daily Mail:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-5242711/Stoke-Swansea-battle-Fulhams-Ryan-Fredericks.html

S**t Les, wrong Ryan!!

Apparently Erik Sviatchenko was clocked at Glasgow airport this morning by various peeps on twitter. Rumoured destination is Southampton.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Don't we already have enough Centre backs not quite good enough for the premier league?

Looking back at those initial post VVD hype articles the links are either i.) Hilarious, ii.) Delusional or iii.) Both:

Walcott - asking him to take a pay cut but probably the most realistic

Benteke - never happening. Palace would want profit on the £30m they paid and he is apparently on over 100k a week which we will not pay

Mawson - talk of £25m+ valuation which we wouldn't pay and it seems like we aren't even interested in a defender now

Sessegnon - LOL

Cenk Tosun - was already in very advanced negotiations with Everton, who paid 25m for him plus 120k a week wages which we wouldn't have got near

Sturridge - still a slight possibility on loan but no way we would pay the fee they would want for a perm.

Shaw - again we would be asking him to take a huge pay cut (probably 50k a week) and would be needing to pay a big record fee.

The fact these were fed to the cosy Journalists is quite worrying: were the club just trying to soften the VVD blow and make themselves seem like a big player? We were never going to be able to sign most of these players, delusional if they thought they would, deceptive if they knew they couldn't.

In terms of realistic signings: I think Guido Carrillo will join this Jan. We miss a big target man and he has a good goals to minutes ratio.

In my opinion, it's too late to sign any player or players who would make a difference. Relegation, which was a strong possibility before Christmas, when the board could have acted by changing the manager, has now become a strong probability. As the window passes with no inward transfer action, the suspicion must be that this is also the conclusion that the board has reached. That in practical terms, the squad cannot be improved with more players who would be similar to those we already have.

Expect Reid and Ralph are spending more time looking for their next jobs after relegation. Same with our better players. The club is riddled with complacency.

So we're stuck with a squad who've finished top half for years and all shown they can do it. Disaster.

So we're stuck with a squad who've finished top half for years and all shown they can do it*

*minus all the actually good players that moved on to greener pastures and haven't been adequately replaced.

Crikey, if Eric Sviatchenko and Ryan Fredericks turn out to be the 'couple' of signings Pellegrino was referring to after Watford..... my goodness.

Remember we don't buy success...we nurture it. And given the excellence of the coaching demonstrated so far this season, and our track record of picking up unknown gems like Gardos and Bedneck (or whatever he's called), I am sure these two signings will be on Liverpool's radar come the end of the season.

#inleswetrust

Apparently Erik Sviatchenko was clocked at Glasgow airport this morning by various peeps on twitter. Rumoured destination is Southampton.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Was he at that Danish club we played a couple of years ago ?? ;

Captain & CB when we only scored 1 goal in 2 games (1-1 & 0-1) and that was a soft pen. Looked a GOOD leader on the pitch from what I can remember.

I am not sure the side will be improved by any major signing. What we lack is on-field leadership, we are too easily bullied and fold too quick. We need an inspirational captain to lead from the front a la Jimmy Case or Alan Ball. Guys who never knew when they were beaten.

Yeah I agree with this, maybe an old head

Widmer is a good player, but he's a first choice RB really. Maybe we're preparing the ground for Cedric's inevitable departure.

I shall enjoy links to good players while it lasts until we flash forward a couple of seasons and Jermaine Wright & Hajto will be our right-back again :(

Captain & CB when we only scored 1 goal in 2 games (1-1 & 0-1) and that was a soft pen. Looked a GOOD leader on the pitch from what I can remember.

Do we know why he's only played one game for Celtic this season?

Do we know why he's only played one game for Celtic this season?

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/celtic-defender-erik-sviatchenko-15m-11749555

He has fallen down the pecking order at Park Head, 2 players before him and is want away, he was linked with a move to Copenhagen a couple weeks ago for the princely sum of £1.5m, but obviously didn't happen.

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/celtic-defender-erik-sviatchenko-15m-11749555

He has fallen down the pecking order at Park Head, 2 players before him and is want away, he was linked with a move to Copenhagen a couple weeks ago for the princely sum of £1.5m, but obviously didn't happen.

He is still arguably the best centre back Celtic have. Before injury he was in excellent form. Celtic fans not happy about selling him and keeping Boyata.

If that's correct then maybe he can help solve some of these problems of the midfield collapsing onto the defence every 2nd half. We do need someone vocal in the back four/five which we don't have at the moment. At £1.5m even Les will like the cheapness of the solution. Has to be worth taking a chance at that price.

If that's correct then maybe he can help solve some of these problems of the midfield collapsing onto the defence every 2nd half. We do need someone vocal in the back four/five which we don't have at the moment. At £1.5m even Les will like the cheapness of the solution. Has to be worth taking a chance at that price.

Just like us to replace a £75m CB with a £1.5m one.

Not that I see this happening. We'll stick with Hoedt, Yoshida, Bedranek and Stephens, with Gardos and Jones in case something horrific happens. More than enough. Not saying it's anywhere near the quality we've enjoyed, quite a fundamental downgrade, but it's more than enough in numbers and enough to secure survival if managed correctly.

but it's more than enough in numbers and enough to secure survival if managed correctly.

I not sure about that, you can have a hundred centre backs but if the two out on the pitch are not good enough you're going down.

I'm happy with Yoshida and Stephens as backup but being a couple of injuries away from a Yoshida - Bedranek pairing is not strong enough.

Not that I see this happening. We'll stick with Hoedt, Yoshida, Bedranek and Stephens, with Gardos and Jones in case something horrific happens. More than enough. Not saying it's anywhere near the quality we've enjoyed, quite a fundamental downgrade, but it's more than enough in numbers and enough to secure survival if managed correctly.

Yes but we'll sell him to Liverpool next year for £100m

I hope that we are going for Sviatchenko.

From what little I've seen of him he looks like he might have a bit more mental toughness than the snowflakes we have in the squad at the moment.

Even if he's a cheap buy, it might offer us some drive on field, which might help lift the whole team.

We are desperately short on character and determination.

This screams "relegation signing" to me.

Not sure why the price is relevant, it could be a very canny signing. Doubt it will change much at the moment though if we keep with the tactics we have right now.

I am not sure the side will be improved by any major signing. What we lack is on-field leadership, we are too easily bullied and fold too quick. We need an inspirational captain to lead from the front a la Jimmy Case or Alan Ball. Guys who never knew when they were beaten.

Sadly very true.

SSN:

SAINTS HOPEFUL ON CARRILLO

Southampton remain in talks with Monaco for striker Guido Carrillo and are hopeful of concluding a deal, Sky Sports News understands.

Meanwhile, the Saints have not discussed potential moves for Atletico Madrid pair Nico Gaitan nor Kevin Gameiro, contrary to reports.

So if we aren't going to get Theo & Gaitan isn't on the list..... Then who's our speedster going to be?

Sisto please.

Edited by SuperSAINT

Two weeks of transfer period gone and no signings. Gao's £210m+ investment in Club at risk of being reduced to under £50m.

That’s the worrying thing. How’s he going to pay back the £200mill bank loan when we are stuck in the Championship?

He could easily just asset strip to pay off the debt and leave a right ****ing mess.

That’s the worrying thing. How’s he going to pay back the £200mill bank loan when we are stuck in the Championship?

He could easily just asset strip to pay off the debt and leave a right ****ing mess.

How much debt is owed to McQuarrie Bank etc?

Southampton hopeful of landing Guido Carrillo

Southampton remain in talks with Monaco for striker Guido Carrillo and are hopeful of concluding a deal, Sky Sports News understands.

Sky Sports News reported earlier this month that the Saints were keen to sign the 26-year-old, who previously worked with boss Mauricio Pellegrino in their native Argentina.

He is thought to be valued at around £15m and Sky Sports News understands reports of a £17.5m offer from Southampton are not accurate

Carillo has made 22 appearances this season but just two of them have been starts in Ligue 1. He has scored 20 goals in over 50 appearances for Monaco since signing from Estudiantes in 2015.

Southampton, who are struggling in the Premier League and sit outside the relegation places by just a point, are seeking a target man to play alongside Charlie Austin when he returns from injury.

Sky Sports News understands they also remain keen to sign Theo Walcott from Arsenal, but have not discussed potential moves for Atletico pair Nico Gaitan nor Kevin Gameiro, contrary to reports.

Source: http://www.skysports.com/football/news/11700/11209432/southampton-hopeful-of-landing-guido-carrillo-as-talks-with-monaco-continue